Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-12-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Sig P320 and Steel Case Ammo

Advertise Here

Hey yall. I have owned my factory certified pre-owned (red box) Sig P320 Carry model since fall of 2019. The pistol has a born on date of October 2018, based on the markings present on the grip module. It has all the factory upgrades from what I can tell.

When I purchased the handgun, it appeared as if it was unfired, with no wear present on the barrel or corresponding areas. I really enjoy this gun much more so than previous Glocks/M&Ps that I owned. My one concern is steel case ammo. I understand Sig does not recommend steel case, as do most manufacturers. I ran tons of the Tula and Wolf steel through my various Glock 19s and M&Ps over the years and malfunctions were almost non-existant, but would have from time to time.

Since purchasing my 320, I have put in the neighborhood of 4-600 rounds through the gun, with approximately 60-70% steel case and the rest brass. Every time I go to the range I notice a handful of malfunctions with steel case ammo, all of which of some form of failure to eject. Most often, the handgun will fire, and the slide will lock back with half of the spent case hanging out of the chamber. This is always easily remedied by removing the magazine, working the slide and returning the magazine to continue firing.

My 320 has never experienced a failure with brass case ammo of any type. I am just wondering is it the ammo, the gun, me, or a combination of all three. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 45,645 Times in 10,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgian View Post
My 320 has never experienced a failure with brass case ammo of any type. I am just wondering is it the ammo, the gun, me, or a combination of all three. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
There's your answer.

No need to wonder if it's you or the gun

I reload so everything that I shoot is brass cased.

Steel cased is cheap ammo, you get what you pay for....

Or more importantly, you are getting what you didn't pay for!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,040 Times in 4,080 Posts

I don't shoot steel cased ammo in handguns.
I tried it 20 years ago and watched the slide on my then Glock 17 slow down the more I fired.

Not worth it to me.

Spend a little more $ and shoot brass cased ammo.

Steel cased ammo works fine in my AK47's and AR15's.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Somewhere in a Plane

Steel case is harder on all the parts, which Iím sure you already knew. Itís also ďstickyĒ for lack of s better term. It forms to the chamber differently than brass, and is harder to extract. Iíve shot some through my Beretta, and while I didnít have any malfunctions, the slide velocity was noticeably slower. Also, when I inspected the fired cases, there were little nicks from the extractor, where brass doesnít have that. And when I checked the gun, there were steel shavings accumulating in the extractor groove. So now I donít shoot steel case in anything but my AR.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:28 PM

Don't know, I use a gun that goes bang every time no matter what ammo I put in it, or what situation I put it in. G19! Never had issues with my M&Ps either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael AP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Prepared

if your gun will not shoot steel or alum ammo it has issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curt mini14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,571 Times in 5,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
Or a tight chamber.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,555 Posts

I try to feed at least one mag full of both steel & alum cased ammo with each gun I have just to make sure there are no problems if I'd need to shoot it in an emergency. If your gun is ruined by shooting a mag or two of steel & alum cased ammo it's probably not very robust to begin with, not to mention if it can't cycle steel or alum ammo wouldn't you like to know ahead of time? I'd also say that if all you shoot is steel cased, don't complain if/when things wear out faster than they should. I also reload, so if you do, or are thinking about it, then brass is much better to shoot from a value & prepper standpoint. Even if you only have a friend who reloads, bringing the components & maybe some range pick ups in his caliber he'll let you use his tools & show you how to reload so you might be more comfortable in reloading yourself. A pizza & a 6 pack is a generally acceptable bribe with my friends also.
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
Yes, or it is a high end competition only gun. Any gun used in practical situations should shoot any ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael AP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 01:26 PM

At this point I believe I am done with steel case at this point....at least in running it through my Sig. I went back to the range again today, in hopes that my cleaning of the extractor and extractor channel (in spite of it being relatively clean) might make a difference in the failures. The pistol actually performed worse with the steel case since cleaning the extractor, extractor channel, etc. I could only get through one or two rounds at at time before experiencing a Type 3 Malfunction....even the last round in the magazine would fail to extract. I did experience one FTE with brass ammo, but do not recall what brand it was. I then ran about 6 more magazines of brass through the gun and it ran flawlessly.

Upon returning home I again tore down the slide to inspect the extractor, and again it was not that dirty. It did appear that the "nose" of the extractor was peened slightly, but I have none to compare it to at this time. Overall, since purchasing this gun I have in the neighborhood of approximately 1,000-1,500 round through the gun, with half of that being steel. In hindsight, the gun initially ran steel case well, but over the past several months it has performed progressively worse with steel.

In comparison, my Springfield 1911 loves steel case....and it has an extractor that is approximately two times smaller in width than the P320. My Ruger P85 gobbles up the steel case as well. My main take away from this, at least in my experience and sample size of one, is that my P320 is a picky eater. I had hoped it would be able to run anything within reason, especially in an emergency if steel case was all I had.
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgian For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 01:35 PM

Personally I would get rid of it and get a G43, or a Sheild. They both run whatever you put in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael AP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Curmudgeon in training

I have had next to no problems with steel cased ammo in the majority of my pistols. The exception is the SIG P250 and 320 models I have or have owned. My first P250 fired a total of three steel cased rounds. Each one stuck in the chamber and failed to eject. Had to lock the slide back and use a cleaning rod to get it out. A total of three rounds from from three different boxes were tried and failed in the same manner. no more steel was tried. I tried again with my current P250 9mm Compact. Five rounds went through the gun with two failures to extract. Not as hard to remove but my opinion of steel in a 250 was "never again". Of the various P320 and M17 models I have or have owned I never even tried steel. I am picking up a P320-M18 next week and will try a few just to see. I do not have high hopes of it working well.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Well, I have made the decision to dump the P320 and move back to an M&P 2.0. I did own an FDE 5inch when they first came out, and it ran any and everything I could stuff in the chamber. And then I wanted to try a Glock 19X, so I traded it off......story of my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgian For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,303 Posts

Quote:
Hey yall. I have owned my factory certified pre-owned (red box) Sig P320 Carry model since fall of 2019. The pistol has a born on date of October 2018, based on the markings present on the grip module. It has all the factory upgrades from what I can tell.

When I purchased the handgun, it appeared as if it was unfired, with no wear present on the barrel or corresponding areas. I really enjoy this gun much more so than previous Glocks/M&Ps that I owned. My one concern is steel case ammo. I understand Sig does not recommend steel case, as do most manufacturers. I ran tons of the Tula and Wolf steel through my various Glock 19s and M&Ps over the years and malfunctions were almost non-existant, but would have from time to time.

Since purchasing my 320, I have put in the neighborhood of 4-600 rounds through the gun, with approximately 60-70% steel case and the rest brass. Every time I go to the range I notice a handful of malfunctions with steel case ammo, all of which of some form of failure to eject. Most often, the handgun will fire, and the slide will lock back with half of the spent case hanging out of the chamber. This is always easily remedied by removing the magazine, working the slide and returning the magazine to continue firing.

If you NEED to shoot steel case ammo and want it to work, try these. The cases are zinc plated...not lacquer or polymer coated. The zinc is slick and you shouldn't have any issues. But these are near the cost of brass cased commercial ammo so I don't see the justification to save a few pennies. I reload too so prefer brass.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021970514
Old 05-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AP View Post
Personally I would get rid of it and get a G43, or a Sheild. They both run whatever you put in them.
G43 and Shield are sub compacts with a capacity of what..6 or 7 rounds.
Sig P320 is a 15+ round gun in it's 'compact' configuration. You are comparing oranges to tangerines my friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHTF MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,875 Times in 760 Posts

Tula is garbage ammo. Try Wolf or Brown Bear/Silver Bear. Wolf is no longer made at the Tula ammo plant anymore and hasn't been since 2010 and has gotten to be much better quality ammo.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:31 AM

Steel cases when fired do not contract after expanding like brass cased ammo and that matters in some guns by the design of their chamber.

If the Sig P320 has a tighter chamber as it seems by your failures then as your chamber fowls from burnt carbon this will continue to get worse.

Not only does steel not contract after firing it does not expand as much as brass when fired allowing a carbon build up which can be cleaned but with more effort than we generally make when cleaning a pistol barrel as we tend to concentrate on the barrel part not the chamber part.

You very well may try polishing your P320 chamber and religiously clean your chamber after steel cases are used.

When a gun is "NOT" designed for steel cased ammo and it does not function well with it that is like a German car that calls for high octane fuel and you want to use regular and get upset it runs bad so just stick with a Hyundai (The Glock of sedans) and you will be happier
Nothing wrong with a Glock or a Hyundai, great products
Old 06-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,070 Times in 2,066 Posts

Don't mistreat a Sig with that steel stuff! I have a Sig Pro 2009 and it will up chuck steel cased all over you.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Curmudgeon in training

I currently have in the house a 320 full size and a 320-M18 and the local ammo supply is so bad I can not find any steel case to try in my new M18. I will get around to it when (if) the ammo supplies get better.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:

I use Brass ammo for my 9mm's. But, I also keep 300 round of steel cased 9mm stashed, "Just in Case I Ever Need It". For me, it always feeds, fires and ejects in all firearms I own in that caliber.