Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-03-2020, 09:47 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Its ok, but more target shooting than police shooting. IPSC is much better for something that developed more practical firearms use.
Post your scores or it didn't happen.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,970 Times in 4,263 Posts

Quote:
Its ok, but more target shooting than police shooting. IPSC is much better for something that developed more practical firearms use.
Yep! I got a ton of practical firearms training at work. Shooting revolver matches on the weekend is what I did recreationally...What's the harm in changing things up a bit...besides it was relaxing and challenging at the same time. A nice break of pace. YMMV
Old 02-03-2020, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
I wonder if shooting sports is dying out because of lawyers. I used to find a shooting club in almost all the small towns I lived in( I moved around a lot) They were almost always a lot of fun, great camaraderie. Seems like every town had it's own favorite game. Now a lot of places you can't even find a range. What I am thinking happened is no one wants to take the liability risk.
Any of the more precision shooting sports have dwindled. It takes a lot of time and practice to get good at PPC, Bulleye, etc. And frankly, compared to 3 gun, and other combat type of matches, they're kinda boring. The younger crowd is used to more stimulation than that. IPSC and other more realistic matches made me more likely to survive a real gunfight, but PPC taught me how to make shots a lot of the younger guys just can't make.

A little boring slow fire for straight accuracy at 50, wouldn't hurt anyone now and then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,178 Times in 4,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post

A little boring slow fire for straight accuracy at 50, wouldn't hurt anyone now and then.

It doesnt, and its a very positive thing.

And when youve been caught up in shooting the other way for a little while, it really shows you why its important to keep coming back around to the basics once in a while, just to confirm youre not getting sloppy or picking up bad habits.

Its hard to slow down and really focus once youre used to shooting fast.

And it is still boring.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
It doesnt, and its a very positive thing.

And when youve been caught up in shooting the other way for a little while, it really shows you why its important to keep coming back around to the basics once in a while, just to confirm youre not getting sloppy or picking up bad habits.

Its hard to slow down and really focus once youre used to shooting fast.

And it is still boring.
It is.

BTW, did you get out and do some 200 or more shooting? I'm tellin ya, you'll surprise yourself.

Jerry Miculek makes hits at 400, shooting a DA 9mm revolver, upside down, with his little finger.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:17 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,178 Times in 4,913 Posts

Quote:
It is.

BTW, did you get out and do some 200 or more shooting? I'm tellin ya, you'll surprise yourself.

Jerry Miculek makes hits at 400, shooting a DA 9mm revolver, upside down, with his little finger.
No, the longest handgun shooting Ive done of late has been at 50.

Jerry is starting to turn into the Chuck Norris of the shooting world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
No, the longest handgun shooting Ive done of late has been at 50.

Jerry is starting to turn into the Chuck Norris of the shooting world.
After I wrote that, I thought the exact same thing....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
what makes the 357 better for preppers than other calibers?

I've been looking at the kimber k6s.
I like that it is small and concealable, I was also wanting to take it out hunting and just it for personal protection out in the woods.

I was just wondering why some people and preppers choose the 357 over autoloaders.
Well I do not know that it (.357) is better for preppers. Everyone has different needs or preferences. .357 is a good option in that it is a common round. Another plus is the capability of loading/shooting .38 Special rounds as well. Other factors include the varieties of projectiles and power loads a .357 can fire. This is not limited to wheel guns though, other common cartridges can do this as well though the revolver is more forgiving when it comes to light/low power loads.

While the Kimber is small and concealable it is more of a CCW choice than a hunting gun. Your selection of magnum rounds should be more selective because of this. Still you could hunt with it, if that is all you have. Moving up to a 4" or longer barrel would make the revolver legal to hunt with in most areas, improve accuracy and allow for better performance of the .357 magnum cartridge without sacrificing too much concealability.

I don't know that there is any specific reason some people/preppers chose the .357 over anything else. Some reasons may be that they prefer the simplicity of a wheel gun over an autoloader (could be physical limitations as well). It may be that they want something that is perceived as being more rugged (I will put up my Glocks to show that autoloaders can take a beating as well though).

Personal choice for me? My .357 magnum guns would be a part of any plan where something bad might happen and I would have to defend myself. When I go camping or hiking in the mountains I prefer to carry either a Taurus Tracker 627 (4" .357, 7-shot) revolver or a Glock 23 (in .40). I don't feel under gunned in either regard.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:19 PM
Survivor

I have shot a 6" GP100 using 158gr magnum ammo out to 150 yards (standing unsupported). It was fun, what can I say, I love shooting reactive targets (boom...clang), it took a cylinder to get a feel for where to hold and then I could consistently hit a 14"x20" suspended plate.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:36 PM

A 357 carbine and revolver is simply versatile. You can load pretty much anything you want, hot or mild, and in between. Cast, jacketed, and any bullet profile most of the time. Your powder options for reloading are huge as well since you dont have to work with the narrow window for reliability like an auto loader.

Huge 220g wide flat nose, non prob... 90g wadcutter, sure! ..355 diameter bullets in a pinch? itll still go bang, though not as accurately lol.

The 44 mag can do the same things, and maybe a little better if you dont mind the larger cartridge. That combo would just have a bit more top end, ie heavy loadings for bigger critters if need be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redbullitt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,638 Times in 2,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Post your scores or it didn't happen.

It was a PPC competition in a club in Northern Ireland, long time ago. Hell, I might have even wont the thing. Not much bragging rights though becuase it was just a handful of people competing, none very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 02:28 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
It was a PPC competition in a club in Northern Ireland, long time ago. Hell, I might have even wont the thing. Not much bragging rights though becuase it was just a handful of people competing, none very good.
T'was a joke.

On bodybuilding.com misc section (a very popular forum and sub culture) we have this thing where we say "pics or it didn't happen" when a poster is bragging about last nights poon slay.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
T'was a joke.

On bodybuilding.com misc section (a very popular forum and sub culture) we have this thing where we say "pics or it didn't happen" when a poster is bragging about last nights poon slay.

Yeah I know, still went looking for the email and found it, 2012 PPC 1500 Auto Pistol. man does time fly.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Village idiot

Too often we argue over type and caliber. Pick what handgun you like and get good with it. If it’s serious social work that you’re doing then bring rifles and friends. Handguns are tools of convenience not the best of combat weapons.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,180 Times in 393 Posts

because you can't find a million threads on people working out finicky issues like with auto loaders. not sensitive to type of ammo, etc. also, .38 Special and .357 are relatively easy to reload for, and use the same set of dies between them. If you have a revolver and a rifle that shoots .357, and can reload and have some components - you basically will never run out. The .38 Special cartridge was also designed first as a black powder cartridge, so - if you have some know how and some basic supplies, I don't - but, people know how to do this kind of stuff, they can mix up some black powder and still be operational until the primers run out, which based on what some people stock will be years and years and years after SHTF WROL - so, for survivalists who plan for major long term disasters, this is a possibility and the idea is just to increase your chances, and more options does that, but there's no guarantees.

Personally, I think if you have a thousand rounds of whatever, and you go through that doing anything but target practice, and you're still around - you are either highly proficient, like one in a million, or a lucky son of a gun.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by film495 View Post
because you can't find a million threads on people working out finicky issues like with auto loaders. not sensitive to type of ammo, etc. also, .38 Special and .357 are relatively easy to reload for, and use the same set of dies between them. If you have a revolver and a rifle that shoots .357, and can reload and have some components - you basically will never run out. The .38 Special cartridge was also designed first as a black powder cartridge, so - if you have some know how and some basic supplies, I don't - but, people know how to do this kind of stuff, they can mix up some black powder and still be operational until the primers run out, which based on what some people stock will be years and years and years after SHTF WROL - so, for survivalists who plan for major long term disasters, this is a possibility and the idea is just to increase your chances, and more options does that, but there's no guarantees.

Personally, I think if you have a thousand rounds of whatever, and you go through that doing anything but target practice, and you're still around - you are either highly proficient, like one in a million, or a lucky son of a gun.
Man, I wanna start reloading. There's an ok reloading class in my club, will sign up as things go somewhat back to normal. I already have a big pile of 357 and 38 brass. Three 357 revovlers and my lever action Trapper ready to eat it up.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Governor's Twenty you mean?

PPC was a humbling sport, with some of the best folks I ever met shooting it. Many of them are gone now, and the sport is fading off. Shooting small groups and reloading, quickly, out to 50 yards with a DA revolver, is a dying art.

Was it "practical"? No, not really. But it taught trigger control and fluidity of motion, and those of us who competed in it, usually did pretty well when the balloon went up.

Would I choose a DA revolver for a SHTF defense pistol today? No, despite a couple shelves of trophies from shooting them, and still owning more of them than I can count. My semi autos are easier to shoot well and reload, have larger capacities, are simpler to work on and maintain, and are more reliable, especially in adverse conditions. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

Pretty sure it was ten when I was involved with it. They may have made it 20 at some later date, but yep I'm pretty sure it was 10. The matches were 150 rounds, each round with a possible value of ten points (ten ring B27 target) and a perfect score was 1500 hence the name of the match. I managed the low 1400's on a regular basis while the best shooters consistently shot high 1400's.

It was the 24 rounds at 50 yards from four different stances with a two minute time limit that was usually my undoing. As I recall it was RH barricade, LH barricade, kneeling and prone.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=Potawami II;19588120]I agree with the others. The K6s is not a prepper gun. You want a 4" barrel max for concealing, and a 6" barrel min for hunting. The round is very versatile, but the gun isn't always.

If you look around you can find used Dan Wessons with a few barrels reasonable. I paid $600 for mine a few years ago and it came with 4', 6", and 8" barrels. They made them from 2"-10" (or maybe 12?) anyway it would still be a compromise because of frame size it would be hard to conceal, but is still fairly versatile.

/QUOTE]

They actually even made a 12 and 15 inch barrel, but they themselves can cost over $600 if in anything but crap condition.

I mistakenly let a buddy buy a 12 inch that I could have had about a year ago. They are the rarest from what I have seen. I have several 8 and 6 I guess though.

As for the OP, .357 is a good round. I love it. I have a .38/.357 lever action on top of several revolvers in it. They would still be my secondary guns though. 9mm is much more common. I have long guns and semis in it. I need to finally pick up a revolver, but ..someday. I prefer to go lowest common denominator. .357 is going to be harder to find if SHTF than 9mm. Plus it costs more to stockpile.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_55 View Post
As for the OP, .357 is a good round. I love it. I have a .38/.357 lever action on top of several revolvers in it. They would still be my secondary guns though. 9mm is much more common. I have long guns and semis in it. I need to finally pick up a revolver, but ..someday. I prefer to go lowest common denominator. .357 is going to be harder to find if SHTF than 9mm. Plus it costs more to stockpile.
If you take into account people who have collected 38sp 357 ammo and brass over the years, then the idea of a .357 for prepping becomes less of an expense and more of a reality. It's not hard to find if you already have it.

I'm sitting on a 500 rounds of 38sp brass still in it's original packaging and a couple of bulk packs 357 brass, also in it's original boxes. That's just what I have set back and it is a fraction of what is available to me without buying anything.

I reload and cast so the 38sp and 357 is an good option for me, not the only option mind you but a good one. If you haven't guessed, I've been at this a while and have a different opinion.

If I were just starting out, I'd say you had a valid point when it comes to the cost difference between 9mm and 357. Like I said, I've been at this a while, which means I've also got a stack of 9mm ammo and pails of 9mm brass too.

Not to put too fine a point on it, I don't envy those who are just starting out on the prepping path and trying to decide what their firearms selection should look like. Good luck...
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 PM
Is that all?

I have an SP101 that I love. It is what it is. It's not really a gunfighting gun, it's small to be a trail gun for big animals, and it only holds five rounds. What it is good at is being indestructible, and low maintenance. Add in the fact the 38/357 are extremely common, and easy to reload, and you have a good, concealable, powerful little pistol. The only scenario where this would really shine over something like a glock is when you have to cover a long distance on foot, and don't want anything that requires magazines, lots of cleaning etc. It would be ideal for something like backpacking the Appalachian trail, where you might want the ability to protect yourself from wildlife or crazies, but you want minimalist weight and simplicity.