Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts
Default Red-Tailed Hawk

Advertise Here

I had an amazing experience this afternoon. About 20 feet from my front door there's a tree, and as I walked outside a big red-tailed hawk flew out of the tree in my direction and over my head. It was an awesome, beautiful bird and I was surprised that it let me get that close to it. If I'd reached up I could almost have touched it. It's surprising how large they are and how big their wingspan is when you get that close to one. Its wings were just this big expanse of barred feathers--awesome!

I have a lot of jackrabbits and figured it was after a meal. Then I started thinking--would a red-tailed hawk go after barn cats? My dogs are 65 and 80 lbs., so they should be safe.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 27,116 Times in 7,665 Posts

Red-tailed_Hawk/lifehistory

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...wk/lifehistory
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,238 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
I had an amazing experience this afternoon. About 20 feet from my front door there's a tree, and as I walked outside a big red-tailed hawk flew out of the tree in my direction and over my head. It was an awesome, beautiful bird and I was surprised that it let me get that close to it. If I'd reached up I could almost have touched it. It's surprising how large they are and how big their wingspan is when you get that close to one. Its wings were just this big expanse of barred feathers--awesome!

I have a lot of jackrabbits and figured it was after a meal. Then I started thinking--would a red-tailed hawk go after barn cats? My dogs are 65 and 80 lbs., so they should be safe.
This! This is why I enjoy life in the country. Pure beauty at times.

But yeah I bet your barn cat is in danger. We have a garage attached to our house that we installed a small pet door that leads inside (garage only). It's the smallest one Home Depot carries. The idea is that at least the cat can get in/out and the other critters can't.

It's been about three years with this setup and so far it's worked great.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 07:54 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,410 Times in 9,754 Posts

One of my neighbors has a cat named Talon. She was walking over to inspect the damage to the pool done by the elk wading, when this cat fell out of the air.

Lots of local folks loose small critters to the coyotes, wolves, cougars, foxes, owls, eagles.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,001 Posts

DURING SUMMER we have a LOT of Red tails in the area. You can hear them screaming all the time.
SO
this one afternoon I look down a lane and see 2 RTs diving and swooping at something on the ground. They are totally PO'd about whatever it is.
I start down the trail trying not to be too obvious. I get to about 40 feet of whatever, still blocked by the ferns and the hawks flair off. Immediately a HUGE Great Horned owl comes off the ground and is in full afterburn out of there and not 2 seconds behind him through the trees come the 2 RTs in hot pursuit all about 10 feet off the ground twisting through the trees..

The owl must have ventured too close to the nest and they were sending a message about "safe space".

We have LOTS of GHOs also. At night in the summer they get so loud you can't sleep at times. There will be 3 or 4 of them within 100yds of the house all claiming their space

It is like the coyotes.. One of them yipping in the night is "quaint" and nature. You get a pack of them screaming 50 yds behind the house at 0200 it loses its Disneyesque charm.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Prepared

OK, so it just might. There are places for the barn cats to run, so hopefully they'll be OK.

It's surprising that the hawk came that close to the buildings--and to me! They may be common birds, but they are beautiful.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,410 Times in 460 Posts

A Red Tailed Hawk is one of my favorite birds. I saw one not too long ago when I was walking my property, and saw it again near the same spot a couple of days later. I haven't seen it since, but I always keep an eye out for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mast3rBlast3r For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,207 Posts

I live in a very suburban area and we have tons of Redtailed Hawks. In fact, its our neighborhood elementary school mascot.

A few years back, we had one hanging out in the trees in my neighbors yard. I was out on the deck and he nailed a dove in flight about 15 feet from me. The hawk and dove went crashing to the ground while I held my dogs back to see the outcome. The hawk couldn't take off with the dove - it was too heavy. He gave up and flew off. It was cool to see it all happen so close.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:57 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 76,926 Times in 22,559 Posts

The huge owls around my house are amazing. You hear nothing, then instantly there is a huge shadow as it swoops overhead.

Love watching the hawks also. They can get really big. Had one that would grab fish around the pond at the house in NJ. Then they would land atop a telephone pole and eat the fish. Wonderful entertainment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Prepared

Yikes! I hope it leaves the doves alone. There are two doves that stay near the house and are always together.

Owls are beautiful. It would be nice if one of them paid me a visit, and helped itself to a jackrabbit lunch. Actually, make that breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Prepared

Update: The hawk is back, sitting on a fence post, and the dogs are not the least bit happy about that. It's closer to them than a wild animal would normally get. Yesterday it got close to me. I wonder if it's sick or habituated to humans?

Edited to add: I just brought the dogs in. It didn't even bother to fly away even though I got within about 15 feet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Gatorbait

Most house cats aren't usually dinner as they don't taste good to wild animals due to their diet. That being said, coyotes will kill them but I doubt you will ever see one actually eating a cat. It's why you see dead cats by the road all the time but rarely see them get eaten until a opposum or buzzard comes along.

They are not really a prey animal unless another animal is starving. When they are killed by another animal, it is usually a stupid and mean domestic dog that someone doesn't have the sense enough to know where it is or another animal with the hunter instinct triggered when the cat runs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Prepared

Thanks. I hope it stays away from the barn cats. And now the hawk is on the dog pen!
The Following User Says Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Thanks. I hope it stays away from the barn cats. And now the hawk is on the dog pen!
He is probably just curious. I have a few half feral cats that I feed and one of them killed a large crow the other day. I know it's not a hawk but crows actually have larger beaks and have been known to attack hawks of all sizes so they are pretty brazen. I was suprised this dumb cat even attacked it. She tried attacking a buzzard a few days after that but I had to run out there and put a stop to it before it ended badly lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Prepared

I think you cat is just a little too brave, LOL.

I just called a wildlife expert in Phoenix, who said that the bird is unlikely to attack me or the dogs unless it's guarding a nest, and to check for a band in case it was tamed by a falconer at one point. Other than that, it seems I now have a hawk. Maybe I'll name it Atlanta? This is more Phoenix Suns territory....

Just looked out the window--the bird is feasting on a jackrabbit by the cistern in front of the house. Atlanta is a great hawk!

I went out to take a picture, but the sun was the wrong way and when I got to within a few feet the bird flew off. I hope she finishes off that jackrabbit. It's a bloody mess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,849 Posts

Red Shouldered Hawks nest in trees on my property. I often see them in my yard or sitting ob tree limbs. I have a lot of squirrels but my lot is heavily wooded so the hawks can't maneuver well enough to catch them easily due to their wingspan. The Red Shouldered is a bit smaller than the Red Tail but still an impressive bird.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,255 Times in 1,336 Posts

The bald Eagles have driven the hawks from my area. I enjoyed watching the eagles when all they took was fish from my pond. Now they are a problem lost 35 chickens to them this summer.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Most house cats aren't usually dinner as they don't taste good to wild animals due to their diet. That being said, coyotes will kill them but I doubt you will ever see one actually eating a cat. It's why you see dead cats by the road all the time but rarely see them get eaten until a opposum or buzzard comes along.

They are not really a prey animal unless another animal is starving. When they are killed by another animal, it is usually a stupid and mean domestic dog that someone doesn't have the sense enough to know where it is or another animal with the hunter instinct triggered when the cat runs.
DON'T KNOW about where you are, but in my AO coyotes look at cats like a delicacy. My one neighbor decided he wanted some cats around to keep the mice and other chewy critters down. I told him I didn't think they would do well because of the coyotes. Next thing I know he has 5 cats. Evidently the cats have no concept of what a coyote is. A week later he has 4 cats. In another week he is down to 2 cats. And, you could tell when the coyotes scored a cat by the noise they would generate at being successful in the hunt. In 2 months there were no cats... but we had lots of coyotes hanging around.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Update: The hawk is back, sitting on a fence post, and the dogs are not the least bit happy about that. It's closer to them than a wild animal would normally get. Yesterday it got close to me. I wonder if it's sick or habituated to humans?

Edited to add: I just brought the dogs in. It didn't even bother to fly away even though I got within about 15 feet.
DEPENDS on where the bird was raised. A lot of Birds of Prey have found cities to be great hunting grounds as well as great places to raise their young. Tall solid structures, no predators, an almost unlimited supply of food of some kind. You constantly see stories about falcons nesting in the cities along with other BOP. Like deer that are born and raised in the city parks or suburbs, they really don't pay attention to people unless directly approached.

As for the people, no one is trying to kill them so they get used to them.

All a matter of how they were raised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,169 Times in 351 Posts

We've had generations of red tails on our place for 30-40 yrs. People on neighboring farms and ranches claim the hawks kill their chickens (perhaps the hawks are being blamed for owl kills), but we have never lost a single cat or chicken to the red tails. Owls and coyotes are a different story.

A few years back we had a large flock of crows run our red tails off our place. The next year the crows didn't return and the red tails came back and set up housekeeping again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turtle'sPace For This Useful Post: