First time making an elevated Planter using a 55 Gal. Barrel - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ordering a new barrel for the contender tomorrow, got the last one in, time to Goblin X Firearms General Discussion 6 11-27-2013 08:33 PM
First time Mozzarella making! Jason01 Food and water 9 10-23-2013 03:54 AM
Elevated Water Storage of Electricity conserver Political News and Discussion 8 02-04-2013 11:21 AM
Decision making time libertyforall Firearms General Discussion 2 12-16-2012 10:19 PM
First-time Planter (Indoors vs. Outdoors & Limited Space) Nick York Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 07-28-2012 10:53 PM
Barrel Break IN Waste of Time LongRider Firearms General Discussion 17 02-08-2010 12:59 PM
Making the most of your time in SHTF. tmootu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 01-21-2010 04:29 PM
First time making friction fire twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 11-25-2009 09:32 AM
Making a composting barrel Josiah922 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 15 04-15-2008 05:34 PM

Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

Advertise Here

Very nice setup!. As a rookie gardener, I started out kinda jumbled...I had a little idea of what I was gonna do and just went for it. I kinda giggle now when I look back at the first pics. I get an itch and take off without sitting down and getting things on paper. As you can see in the picture progression, I went back and upgraded my fencing and a few other stuff. I also learned to follow the seed instructions and not over plant. I ended up crowding and having to go back and thin some plants out. The spot I picked was out of the way...its a little tight. One side is actually on a little slope. I wasn't sure I was gonna like gardening so i started out small. Now I love it. I already have plans to make this little area entirely herbs only. I have a huge lot in Grass that I'm gonna turn into a large conventional garden this fall and have it ready for next spring. I'm pretty much tired of watering and mowing alot of grass. I also take care of 4-5 of my neighbors properties. I think working on my little elevated garden has helped my back. My own little therapy. Your wood cradles look great but it might have taken more room. I thought about the metal barrels but was told by others to stay away from them. Thank you for assisting the elderly. My wife worked at a nursing home and later moved to the hospital side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryp View Post
Instead of sitting your barrels on cinder blocks have you considered making a wood cradle for them? I work at an assisted living and many of our elderly patients still like to garden but have to use a chair or wheelchair so I made some planters out of metal barrels and with a wooden cradle set at a height where they can sit and garden. Plus they have the advantage of being able to be picked up and moved by 2 people when needed. Since I used metal drums ( they were free and already cut) I slit garden hose and put over the sharp edges with some silicon caulking to prevent cuts.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

Yes it has. I was told by a neighbor who has some great Rhubarb that I should cut down most of the leafs so that the plant can work on its roots and not on the leafs. So I harvested most of the stalks and left a few of the small ones. I broke a few during the transplant. I jammed the rhubarb. I have so much rhubarb given to me by neighbors that I wanted to make sure and give this one time to grow. I might be getting another one soon.
I just went out and took a pic for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusassoc View Post
Has the rhubarb taken hold? I've never seen it transplanted. Great garden!
The Following User Says Thank You to Double S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

nice I like that
The Following User Says Thank You to RMFT For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

I picked some taters early. The burlap bags were falling apart and I needed more room so I pulled two tater plants. I've been picking tomatoes already. Squash is over 7 feet away from it's bucket planter. We picked and ate the peas already and pulled it out and made way for eggplant and cucumbers. Lettuce has been some good eats. We just pull the outer leafs off for salad. The strawberry buckets are finally producing.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

I haven't updated this thread in a few months. As a new gardener I have learned a few things.

I do have a green thumb. I will be expanding to a full square foot garden next spring. The garden helped me stay out of the house and keep me occupied. It was good exercise for my back. I feel much better. I've built confidence and want to expand. I will still keep this planter garden for herbs ,small cherry tomatoes. I found out that we like Yellow tomatoes more than the red tomatoes. My wife can't eat red tomatoes. I made a lot of tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce. Made tomato preserves. I had a lot of Cucumbers to. I gave a lot of veggies away so they wouldn't go to waste. I was burning out from making sauce so I just washed and packed tomatoes in canning jars and placed them in the freezer. They will be good for about 6 months. I made a lot of Dill Pickles with different seasonings. I placed Garlic and Red pepper in a few jars. If you want to attract Bumble bee's just plant wild Katnip. My garden sounded like a generator rumbling from all those little wings buzzing around. I found out Dill attracts yellow jackets like a cop to a donut shop. LOL

I wasn't sure if my Strawberry buckets were gonna survive but thy did very well. The strawberries don't last a few minutes though as they get eaten right away or right off the bucket.
I learned that I over planted and some of the plants were overcrowded. So I had to pull some out. My bucket squash didn't grow as big as my neighbors standard garden ones. The bucket stunted the squashes grown. But the ones that vined out 8 plus feet away from the bucket and re-rooted into the soil did much better as they received more nutrients.

Here's some pics. Not in a particular order.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double S For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

I would go out every two days or so to pick veggies. I found peas to be very time consuming. I don't think I will replant peas next season. I found out that I didn't plant enough Beet's. I love beets!. I planted them in succession so I would have a batch ready to pick. I picked beets 4-5 times. I lost count of how many times I picked tomatoes and cucumbers.

Here's some random pics. I have a lot more. Every time I went out to my planter garden I would pick a tray or two.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

It's been freezing at night so I have the water already shut but the Tomatoes are still growing. I need to go out tomorrow and do some clean up before the snow drops.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

Here's one of my mistakes. When I first started I didn't level and pack the ground in when I set the cinder blocks so so two half planters moved on me when the ground was over watered.

Here's my little squash bucket. It's vines wrapped around my garden over 10 feet out on the outside of the fence. the deer never missed with the plants.

I did have some late nigh visitors before hunting season started trying to pull the plants through the fence.

This is basically it for this season. This was a learning experience for me. I know that this isn't for everyone. But for people that prep in the city or have small properties or have disabilities like me...Having elevated planter, buckets might work for you. Plus I didn't have to deal with a lot of weeds.

Thank you for visiting this thread. Happy Planter gardening!.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Double S For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,271 Posts

First I've seen of this thread, and I am really impressed. You have done incredible work with the container gardening. I learned a lot looking through your thread. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if you put another layer if barrels in from of the first ones, you could make the water drain into a second lower level. That way you would have twice the plants with half the water. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0311 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Gluten Free Prepper

Here's my next project. My cousin gave me 4 Apple bins to make into elevated planters. I cut them down to 15" tall. I want to get at least 4 more bins and then I'll be happy.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Gluten Free Prepper

Thread pic update.

I've had some downs early this season but things are looking better now. During the early spring i sowed seeds indoors and when the temps were right i transplanted 6 types of seeds out to my little planter garden. A lot of heirloom yellow tomatoes. Thing were looking really good. Then in a four day period most of my plants died off. Even some of my hardy local wild catnip was dying off. I had a neighbor come by and looked at the leafs and my drip system. He's in the Agri sprayer business. He asked me if I used weed killer in the area. I said no. he states that it looked like someone came bye and sprayed weed killer on the plants. I don't think someone would do that to me as I do a lot for my neighbors and they are just not the types to do something like that. We do have Spray palnes that would fly over the area to and from farms to do arial spraying but my neighbor said that we would see more damage to plants and other neighbors plants. Oh well. I was kinda bummed. I had another neighbor give me some local Raspberry transplants from his garden and he had come over to look at them. They were doing really well but they also died.

I pulled all the dead plants and mixed the soil in the affected planters and waited two weeks to do anything. I kept watering the planters just to make sure if there were any contaminants...it might get flushed out of the soil. After two weeks I liberally planted seeds again. ( was still bummed).

The seeds took off with the warmer weather and good moist soil. My herbs, tomatoes, bell peppers were doing well for awhile. Then one morning I came out to check them and many of my tomatoes, bell peppers and some basil plants had been trimmed off. Darn it!. I was angry again. I was blaming the wild rabbits. They would stop at the fence and look around trying to get in. So I figure it was a rabbit damaging my plants. But I wasn't sure how he was able to get to some of the higher barrels. More the next three days I had more and more damage. I found the entrance/exit hole from under my shed and closed it back up. I took one of my hunting trail cams and placed it in the garden to catch the criminal. The next morning I came out and found more damage to the plants. I pulled the trail cam and caught the trespasser.
It wasn't a rabbit but a pack rat. I think I got him handled as he hasn't been back. Trail cam pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pack Rat 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	88992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	88993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	88994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 5.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	88995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 6.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	88996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 7.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	88997  

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 8.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	88998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 9.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	88999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 10.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	89000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 11.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	89001  
The Following User Says Thank You to Double S For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Gluten Free Prepper

A few more pics. Because I liberally tossed seeds out Now many of the areas are overgrown. I'm going out right now to do some thinning. Cutting herbs to dry in my sun oven.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 13.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	89002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 14.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	89003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden 8-1-14 15.jpg
Views:	14