viggies 2013 garden / urban homestead - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 03:56 PM
viggies 2014 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 117 01-04-2015 05:35 PM
Lil Urban Homestead in Oklahoma wildartist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 84 07-29-2014 09:56 PM
AtticusFinch's "Boo Radly" Urban Garden, 2013 AtticusFinch Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-28-2013 02:38 PM
How to Plan a sustainable Urban Homestead IronBeard Urban Survival 18 05-15-2013 07:00 PM
Chairborn's Urban & Suburban 2013 garden Thread chairbornrangerx Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 04-04-2013 01:15 PM
here is a simple basic layout of the socalled urban or rural homestead hank2222 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 01-05-2012 01:08 PM
The Urban Homestead Book Mic Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-03-2011 10:52 AM
The urban homestead video chopper dave Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 09-11-2010 10:54 AM
Urban Homestead... Path to Freedom 123Testing Urban Survival 44 03-30-2010 10:21 AM

Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Homesteader / Workershare

Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Is there any particular advantage to the blue jars over the clear?
Nope, they are just cool :D
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,025 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
And the final tally on the stock after 3 full days of simmering is 32 quarts :D Not bad for about $4 worth of carrots, celery, and onions when you compare it to $3.something each in the store.

I do something similar with chicken bones except there is some meat on the bones which means it's chicken soup not just stock. You mentioned potatoes, I'm thinking of trying canning them, but I've heard so many negative comments about them getting mushy. Do you pre-boil them, or do you just cold pack?

Also I see you are using Tattlers how do you like them and what are you using to label your jars. I hate having to scrape label stuff off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelruh View Post
I do something similar with chicken bones except there is some meat on the bones which means it's chicken soup not just stock. You mentioned potatoes, I'm thinking of trying canning them, but I've heard so many negative comments about them getting mushy. Do you pre-boil them, or do you just cold pack?

Also I see you are using Tattlers how do you like them and what are you using to label your jars. I hate having to scrape label stuff off.
I cold pack my potatoes, and they come out just fine. I don't notice the difference in recipes. But if you are just going to fry them up or something you will notice a different texture since they are water logged.

And the tattlers are wonderful. They haven't given me any problems at all. The labels are ones I got at the dollar store, an office store or walmart will also carry small ones like that. They can leave a little residue sometimes, but it's a very small spot to scrape.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
The 5 Will Survive

Thanked 6,439 Times in 1,869 Posts

How many times have you used these Tattlers, have you had to change the gaskets?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jodier7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodier7 View Post
How many times have you used these Tattlers, have you had to change the gaskets?
Just 2 seasons now, and I haven't had to. They should last until they are dry and cracked like the old school gaskets did.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,173 Times in 596 Posts

Spring fever has been hitting me so hard I even went out and shoveled snow off my garden in hopes it'll melt faster. Now is that crazy or what?! This seasons plan is to plant more beets so my corn and rutabaga will be planted at my neighbors who I am helping to enlarge his garden area by another 50 feet. All round it's a good trade off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gristle62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I've been playing with the garden layout all winter, and today it was finalized. The big change will be moving the block patio to the other end of the yard where it'll double as an extended run for the rabbits in nice weather.

For planting, I decided to focus mainly on items to can. I also upped the fresh greens as they would grow best in the tiny bed in the shadow of the new privacy fence.

The full size version is here.

And the first of 2 big batches of seeds I'll do this year was started. This is 115 pods of Broccoli, Cockscomb, Dill, Echinacea, Lista de Gandia Eggplant, Ornamental Kale, Oregano, California Wonder Pepper, Thyme, Jersey Gian Tomatoes, and Purple Cherokee Tomatoes.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 PM

It will be 90 degrees here in South Texas tomorrow. I'm not sure if that's good, or bad. Some days I wish I had the snow.. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tejasterry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/us

I will start mine when I get over this virus. Really looking forward to gardening thighs year!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TORTIS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasterry View Post
It will be 90 degrees here in South Texas tomorrow. I'm not sure if that's good, or bad. Some days I wish I had the snow.. :-)
It snowed here last night and we're expecting a few more inches Monday. It's not that great actually, but at least I'm still using a shovel even if it's not in the garden like it was this time last year :D But 90 is crazy!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Senior Jr Member

Wow, talk about keeping busy! Sewing, crochet, drying foods, canning, starting seeds indoor and raising rabbits! You go girl!! When you canned your broth, did you use the boiling water bath or the pressure canner? Also, do you have an electric dehydrator that you
did the kiwi in? Last question, what is a good price to you on kiwi to buy it up and dry it? The lowest I've seen was just today at $0.50 each.

Sue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suebeedo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebeedo View Post
Wow, talk about keeping busy! Sewing, crochet, drying foods, canning, starting seeds indoor and raising rabbits! You go girl!! When you canned your broth, did you use the boiling water bath or the pressure canner? Also, do you have an electric dehydrator that you
did the kiwi in? Last question, what is a good price to you on kiwi to buy it up and dry it? The lowest I've seen was just today at $0.50 each.

Sue
Broth needs to be pressure canned. The recipe and instructions are in your Ball book and on their website here. I just used more economical bones and scraps instead of fresh meat. Nearly everything I've done is from the Ball Complete Book, so it's definitely a must have for every canner.

I do use a electric dehydrator, it's an Excalibur 9 tray. And until this sale which came out to .25 a piece, .33 was the best I'd seen.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior Jr Member

Thanks. I've been away from canning since I moved into the city. Would like to get back to it again. I don't own a pressure canner though. Last time I used one I didn't feel like I saved any time using one, just a safer way of canning what I had at the time. I noticed in your thread that it looked like you had dehydrated onions and put them in a jar. Did you find they made your house smell like onions? Would rather ask and dehydrate them in the garage if they did. course I have to get me one too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Suebeedo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I'd suggest understanding the science based safe canning practices currently in use, since your long term health and possibly life are put on the line with unsafe practices.

Onions stink to high heaven, you definitely want to dehydrate them outside if you can! I did them indoors the first time and by morning it was like homemade tear gas :D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

We got snow yesterday too But inside things are sprouting

And aldis had grapes advertised so I skipped groceries and tried canning my first batch of grape juice instead.

These are some of the new blue jars in action.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,871 Times in 908 Posts

You're doing Cherokee Purple tomatoes are you? I am also. I had one plant last year and I like 'em. I also ran into something called a Russian Krim tomato that I'm going to try. They were a bit pricey at I believe 30 seeds for $2.99 but wth. If it works out I'll have plenty of seeds for next year. Now all I need is a cherry tomato type for the hanging bag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Spring has sprung in Wisconsin :D There's garlic patiently waiting under there somewhere.

I realized I only needed $2 worth of salt pork to do pork & beans from this recipe, so I got one more batch done this week.

In the seed starting room....All the ornamental kale have their baby leaves...and look at those fuzzy little roots. The first of the tomatoes, thyme, and oregano are poking up too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,559 Times in 2,305 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Looking good! I think I might try that pork and beans recipe. And little shoots of green from the mystery of seeds, are always encouraging.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
I want a house.

Thanked 1,000 Times in 323 Posts

Thank you for sharing all this; makes me feel inadequate and lazy. ^_^

I have lurked in this thread for a while; just had to exclaim that I appreciate each and every post!

You know, while you're doing the 'online job hunting thing' why not open up a freaking eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji or etsy account and sell a shirt/dress/crocheted item or two? Label it 'home-made with love', and/or 'homestead grown' (if you're using bunny fuzz as an extra filler) and see where that takes you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Thanks, but with my carpul tunnel my crochet is limited to a few household items for myself. If there was something I could do, you can trust I would already be doing it.