Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying Out New Raft for a Week ppine Boating and Fishing 5 04-16-2015 10:34 AM
Review: Thermarest Luxurylite Ultralite Cot Kosst Amojan Reviews and questions 0 08-13-2013 01:33 PM
How To Repair a Raft bcooperoutdoors Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 06-07-2013 01:08 PM
Homemade Raft Chiefsrule55 DIY - Do It Yourself 7 10-22-2012 06:50 PM
Sleeping Pad...USGI, Thermarest, other? SirThrivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 42 09-27-2012 09:52 PM
Sleeping Bag and Thermarest Delima dms1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 01-27-2011 11:47 AM
Repairing a Thermarest self inflating air mattress? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 11-05-2010 10:42 AM
Inflatable raft.... ActiveShooter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 06-30-2010 02:38 PM
inflatable raft LTS thedford Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-29-2009 07:45 PM

Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
91W & 11B

Advertise Here

Actually, I use both. I have an Army issue inflatable mattress (what we referred to as a "Rubber Bitch") and a 3/4 size Thermarest. The combination works well for me, especially in cold weather where the air mattress would suck heat away from me. The Army issue mattress is admittedly more heavy-duty than your average pool mattress (and I carry a patch kit with me); I've been using it for the last decade or so with no leaks.
As usual, YMMV.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,823 Posts

I use an inflatable mattress with a 3/4 size self inflating mattress on top.

The inflatable makes it comfy, the self inflating keeps it warm/is a backup in case the inflatable gets a puncture.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,367 Times in 701 Posts

I got an army issued foam mat, but the wallyworld floaty sounds lke a good idea. Only problem is finding one for someone 6ft tall that will actually fit on it well. I wonder if I can find one on clearence... which I doubt by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,613 Times in 26,368 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Having slept on a Thermarest and a blow up air mattress, the Thermarest is a great insulator where the blow up mattress or pool toy isn't. The pool toy doesn't hold up very well either.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM
VIP Member

another vote for a sleeping pad when money allows.

i had closed cell foam when in scouts and tried a thermarest on a trip, and liked it but i was broke so i stayed with my foam one.

i tried the blow up idea in my 20's b/c we were camping alot and had the cold experience one night in Nov near the AT. I now own these for myself and the fam: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/pa...weight-air-pad

i think buying a few of the pool ones at clearance at the end of the season is a great idea.

1) they're better than nothing
2) good for unexpected camping guests or family crashing at your place and you only have 1 good inflatable bed, so parents get that, the kids get the pool toys
3) barter item, the price above ($1.49 each) - i think you'd get more than that from someone who needed some padding to sleep.
4) i believe in getting cost effective things to cover as much 'preps' as possible, then use them for camping, in tests, and go back and upgrade when you have the scratch and have seen a need for improvement

ie: buying a $300 knife and being too broke for other gear makes no sense. likewise, i wouldn't buy a $90 pad to start if you have other gaps in your needs.

some stuff, buy once/buy right (tools, filters, weapons) but pads and the like should be looked at as consumables. the alps also come with a patch kit, so they'll last longer than a pool raft, but eventually they'll wear out. plus, then your pool rafts are your backup.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
City Survivior

hey guys what about using a pool float but covering with a can of sprayable rubber to increase duribility?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Poppin' mags

Thanked 1,951 Times in 943 Posts

Sleep on the ground, the less padding the better, but with something to fill in the arch of your back if needed. When SHTF, it'll be a valuable skill. Also, it's good for your posture.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Here to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbas View Post
Sleep on the ground, the less padding the better, but with something to fill in the arch of your back if needed. When SHTF, it'll be a valuable skill. Also, it's good for your posture.
LOL. Not good for MY posture. I end up bent over like an old cripple if I sleep on the ground.