River crossing gear for GHB? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
River Crossing - Need Help Gillean Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 91 02-22-2017 05:30 AM
Crossing a river during a bug out indi120 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 48 03-06-2014 12:35 PM
Logistical Challenge in my planning - major river crossing Green288 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 04-21-2013 10:06 PM
Getting to BOL - Crossing Large River WonderMonkey Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 12-31-2012 08:57 AM
River Crossing Karnus Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 07-25-2011 10:48 AM
Crossing the Mississippi River spence7607 Vehicles & Transportation 44 04-17-2011 01:21 AM
Bugging Out & Crossing A River arisinwind Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 06-10-2010 11:17 AM
Suggestions for get home back w/ River Crossing captmarc Urban Survival 27 12-08-2009 03:41 PM
New File Added: FM 90-13 River-Crossing Operations theyeti Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 12-02-2009 04:20 AM

Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM
si vis pacem, para bellum

Advertise Here

Hard boat: Requires a place to store. Would likely be stolen, or at the very least make you a target if SHTF.

Manually Inflated boat: Takes 20+ laborious minutes to inflate. In that time, I will swim across, gloriously rescue your wife, and ride off into the sunset on your motorcycle with her. Even with a DC-powered air pump, you're still looking at 10+ minutes to inflate. And those things are noisy. Will draw attention.

CO2-Inflated boat: This is the way to go for inflatable boats. And you still need paddles or a trolling motor. And now you're looking at a trunk full of stuff just to cross a small river. A good one of these will cost between a couple hundred and a couple thousand dollars.

All of those options represent considerable financial investment, and/or will take up all the storage room in your vehicle. I'd personally only consider them if I had a lot of money, or lived somewhere where it would likely be too cold to safely swim.

Swimming: Preferable, in my opinion, as long as it's not freezing. A reasonably healthy person can swim 100 ft in under a minute. I can do it in sub 20 seconds, albeit that's in a swimsuit, in a pool, with goggles.

Put your boots and BOB into a dry bag. Leave room for air; it will float on it's own. If your BOB is full of tools, bullets, and lead bricks, then maybe get a life jacket to put around it. Now tie the dry-bagged BOB to your foot, and swim across.

Even in cold weather, just toss a change of clothes and a microfiber towel in your BOB. Totally doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawiscoming View Post
Do you know that if you wrap a vehicle in a tarp it will float. The key is to have enough surface area to hold up the weight of the vehicle. This means that you may have to increases the footprint by putting boards or logs on the tarp then driving the vehicle over them. Pull the tarp around the vehicle and secure it then bail the water out and you are floating. The lighter and larger the vehicle is the better it will float. To lighten it enough to float you may need to take all of your gear out of it and float it across.
I take it you've never watched TopGear, eh? They put serious money and effort into this and had a real tough time making a vehicle float for any period of time. Furthermore, if you drove your vehicle to the river, then the exhaust and engine are going to be incredibly hot and will immediately melt any tarp that comes into contact with them. But if you do try this, give me a call because I'm going to film it and put that **** on youtube. Also, WTF. How are you going to drive your car onto the tarp, on water? As soon as you put a tarp on water, it will take water and submerge, especially if you're trying to drive magical cars across it. If you put the tarp on land, and then drive over it, then you've got a car on a tarp, but how do you get this concoction onto the water? Thanks but no thanks, lol.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nmil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,762 Times in 4,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
I'm joking.... pretty good though huh....

seriously, we did have guys that somehow made it thru the sf fitness test, which includes serious pool time, then got into phase 1 and choked/nearly drowned big time during the waterborne stuff...It's not like it was that tough....They were city dudes too.....

All the country boys cruised right thru it.....
i dont usually fall for this type of thing, but you really had me going there. i was picturing wet suits with gigantic biceps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,049 Times in 6,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
I'm a firm believer in KISS.
Me too.

If I understand you correctly, you want something man-portable - e.g. a 2-pc poly kayak isn't going to cut it.

You might want to consider something real simple, such as a large truck inner tube and a can of "Fix-A-Flat". It would not take up as much room in your pack as some of the other options, and a large inner tube inflated with the can of fix-a-flat would support your pack and give you some means of getting across the river.

Plus, cost-wise it's relatively inexpensive...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
I have 2 rivers (the James and the Chickahomny) to cross as well as a swamp and several creeks in the almost 40 miles from work to home. The james is a good 200 to 250 yards wide and the chick is either narrow, 30, 40 yards or so or swamp. I still have not come up with a good solution yet for bad, cold weather for me and my gear.
Sounds like you work in Richmond and live near Williamsburg.
Perhaps we should meet up sometime.

Sledster
The Following User Says Thank You to Sledster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Target Shooter

How about one of those float tubes that you can go fishing in along with some flippers? The float tube acts like a wet suit. If nothing else you can go fishing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Prov 3:18

Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post

If current is an issue, run a rope around a tree on the bank, and take both sides of the rope with you. You can retrieve the rope when you're done easily by letting go of one end and pulling it in. Walk downstream a little from the rope and you can use it to pull against the current slightly if the current is strong. A long pole can also be used. You plant it downstream and walk an arc around it. Do not underestimate the power of hydraulics, and be prepared to dump your gear and swim if you have to.

Az
The rope may not be a bad idea, but go upstream instead let the current and rope swing you into the shore .Let it work for you instead of fighting it.Key point don't tie the rope to you,hold it or tie it to your gear and hold the gear.You can do this using a modified side stroke or use the gear like a kick board.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfirebalrog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,486 Times in 3,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropilot4fun View Post
Why not swim it? .
In the summer I probably will swim it. But with a life jacket, just for safety sake.

Winter on the other hand, I need to stay out of the water. This river flows out of some mountains and it will be cold.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,486 Times in 3,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Me too.

If I understand you correctly, you want something man-portable - e.g. a 2-pc poly kayak isn't going to cut it.

You might want to consider something real simple, such as a large truck inner tube and a can of "Fix-A-Flat". It would not take up as much room in your pack as some of the other options, and a large inner tube inflated with the can of fix-a-flat would support your pack and give you some means of getting across the river.

Plus, cost-wise it's relatively inexpensive...
With the right sized tarp, and some para-cord you got yourself a coracle. Throw in a paddle and away you go.

This may be the best solution so far.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 40,069 Times in 10,728 Posts

Money.
There are plenty of people in my area that live along the river.
Knock on doors, "I'll give you 50 bucks to get me across the river."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 40,537 Times in 8,019 Posts

American Survival Guide had a writeup about using a rain poncho to turn a medium alice pack into a raft.

Take a military poncho, twist the head piece several times, tie with string, lay poncho falt on ground, lay pack on top of poncho, pull corners of poncho together and tie.

Flip the assembly together, put in water, float across river.

But the article in ASG had pics and more details.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,232 Times in 1,667 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmil View Post
I take it you've never watched TopGear, eh? They put serious money and effort into this and had a real tough time making a vehicle float for any period of time.
Yes I have and I even saw the episode in question. You will notice that I did not say spray foam all over the engine I said wrap the vehicle with a tarp.

Quote:
Furthermore, if you drove your vehicle to the river, then the exhaust and engine are going to be incredibly hot and will immediately melt any tarp that comes into contact with them.
The last time I checked a river was made out of water. Water has a tendency to cool hot things down.

Quote:
But if you do try this, give me a call because I'm going to film it and put that **** on youtube. Also, WTF.
I have no need to prove anything to you, I have a firm grasp of science and science says if an object displaces enough water it will float, how heavy is an aircraft carrier they are very heavy and do not seame to have any problem floating. I would suggest that you read a few book on the subject, start with childrenís books and work your way up from there.

Quote:
How are you going to drive your car onto the tarp, on water?
No, on the tarp in the water.

Quote:
As soon as you put a tarp on water, it will take water and submerge,
Yes it will and when you pull it around the vehicle the tarp will be full of water that is why I said that you will have to bale the water out of the tarp to get the vehicle float.

Quote:
especially if you're trying to drive magical cars across it.
It is not magic it is science.
Even a MBT can be made to float if you can get it to displace enough water. During WWII Jeeps could be floated by just wrapping them in a tarp and the trailer would float without any preparation at all. The M4 Sherman could swim with preparation, the British even developed a canvas screen and framework that could be raised so the tank would displace enough water to float. The SEALís FAV will float if wrapped in a tarp as will the Wessex Saber. I know my Bradley will float with very little preperation, The most I would have to do is tie a few inflated inner tubes under it.

Quote:
If you put the tarp on land, and then drive over it, then you've got a car on a tarp, but how do you get this concoction onto the water? Thanks but no thanks, lol.
Did you even read my post?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

If you use a water proofing bag for our gear inside you GHB it will act as a personal floatation device. That's how we did it in the corps. We loaded everything in a waterproofing bag and it kept us afloat even with a full combat load. Your bag will double as your life jacket.
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post: