Survivalist Forum banner
9K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  2 x C 
#1 ·
Lets say that you have $150 to spend on survival gear, or survival supplies, what would you buy?

Here is the situation, my wife and I are making a special trip to Beaumont, Texas sometime soon. While we are in town, I thought about stocking up on some supplies.

A couple of weeks ago I got 40 pounds of rice, plus what I already have rice should be covered. Beans should be covered, oatmeal,,,, general stuff like that should be ok.

I thought about ordering some powered milk and powered eggs.

Some of the stuff my my current list are 100 rounds of 223, 100 rounds of 7.62x39, couple of boxes of 308, couple of bricks of 22 long rifle.

For the sake of debate, if someone handed you $150, what would you do with it?

#32 ·
@Snakeranch

I have the same problem! I love a lot of the boots that I find online but I'm never near a store that carries them. I can wear a belt with pants, or wash the shirt in hot water but if a boot is too small or too big there will be major problems. I know you can ship them back and get a new size for free, or at least the cost of shipping but call me a cheap skate, I hate spending more than needed.

#37 ·
Kev, I dunno if you came back to read any of these but, I have one last bit of advice.

When you go to buy these preps, in all likelyhood you will be buying a lot of something.

When you go in, run with your cart to what ever it is, and start dumping it quickly into your cart. If it's rice, then start chunking the bags into the cart. Don't bother to pick up the ones that miss the cart. Act like it's a shopping spree but look paniced and scared. Then rush to the check out and throw the money down.

Say things like "dear God Hurry woman"!! Mumble "it's to late, it's just to late"...

If anyone asks why you are in a rush, panicked, or whats going on, simply reply "you don't know? I've got no time to explain!"

Have your wife back up to the very front of the store where you equally panicked throw the goods in the back. Hop in the back or have her start driving off as you are still getting in leaving the cart right at the front doors.

#41 ·
that depends on what you already have. you have sort your gear in to two categories, one time use and repeat use. a backpack knife gun etc would be repeat and food ammo and water are one time. once you eat it or shoot it you have to replace it. buy all the multi use gear you need first. no point in having ammo if you cant carry it or food if you cant prepare it. buy the gun then ammo, fridge then the food. looking at your needs in this fashion should help the decision making process

#44 ·
How are you set with respect to long-term battery use, for recharging things like a kindle / e-book reader / ipod?

If you're not covered, I'd recommend picking up a Powerfilm USB AA Solar Panel Charger. $83 bucks at Amazon, and spend the rest stocking up on Eneloops.

The Powerfilm device is nice, because it has dual functionality... it can use the solar panels to charge a pair of AA Eneloops, but it can also use a pair of charged Eneloops to drive a USB output (through a voltage doubler), allowing you to recharge a huge variety of electronic devices.

That combo allows you to get long-term (indefinite) solar charging for a huge variety of devices, without having to burn any fuel in the process, at a very reasonable price.

#47 ·
Unless you already have a solid 6 months worth of food stored, I'd buy food. Canned goods or whatever is cheapest ( Oodles of Noodles). I personally would buy sacks of wheat berries and a grinder. If you already have 6 months of food, then ammo to protect your food. I would have 500 rounds per gun. If you already have that much ammo, then go back to food storage. Keep building them both up. But this also depends on if you've taken care of water first! If you dont already have a water source, get rain barrels or a water bob, or a good water filter, we got a sawyer point one. Calcium Hypochlorite to purify the water (makes homemade bleach and doesnt go rancid like regular bleach). This scenario totally depends on what you've already got. Let us know what you buy and good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.