It's Never Over for Vietnam Vets - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default It's Never Over for Vietnam Vets

Advertise Here

In these times of isolation and closed churches, my suburban neighborhood has created a pleasant custom. Every Sunday morning people gather, without reference to specific beliefs or dogma, near the home of a local musician. Standing there (appropriately distanced), they say "Hello" to each other and then sing hymns played by the musician. If my man wanted to go, it was fine with me; I slept in.

Yesterday he wore a new Vietnam Veterans hat. A neighbor, spotting it, went ballistic.

"You were in Vietnam?" she shrieked. "I was against the war, and you were one of those baby killers?"

My man mentioned a family history of military service so Americans would have the right to meet freely for a religious sing if they chose. The neighbor didn't listen, just as she hadn't listened decades ago.

The incident renewed my decision to tell no one about my prepping. Hard times don't bring people together; they just reemphasize the differences. No way I'm sharing with people who were my enemies so long ago and remain so today.

Memorial Day was/is a sham. A day when traitors pretend to appreciate the sacrifices made for them but really feel nothing but contempt.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSassy View Post
In these times of isolation and closed churches, my suburban neighborhood has created a pleasant custom. Every Sunday morning people gather, without reference to specific beliefs or dogma, near the home of a local musician. Standing there (appropriately distanced), they say "Hello" to each other and then sing hymns played by the musician. If my man wanted to go, it was fine with me; I slept in.

Yesterday he wore a new Vietnam Veterans hat. A neighbor, spotting it, went ballistic.

"You were in Vietnam?" she shrieked. "I was against the war, and you were one of those baby killers?"

My man mentioned a family history of military service so Americans would have the right to meet freely for a religious sing if they chose. The neighbor didn't listen, just as she hadn't listened decades ago.

The incident renewed my decision to tell no one about my prepping. Hard times don't bring people together; they just reemphasize the differences. No way I'm sharing with people who were my enemies so long ago and remain so today.

Memorial Day was/is a sham. A day when traitors pretend to appreciate the sacrifices made for them but really feel nothing but contempt.
Did you/your man notice the number of people that didn't have a problem and were there for the same reason as you/your man was? It's easy to focus on the negative but the positive was right there and you ignored it.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 24,205 Times in 8,625 Posts

Quote:

I can understand being upset at the neighbor but you are incorrect to say that Memorial Day was/is a sham. To some it may be. However, to those who understand what it stands for, its not.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durden
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,984 Posts

Most vets don't give a damn about the stupid holidays. Its excuse for people to grill out.

You don't need a day to remember those who died. It stays with you everyday.

So enjoy your extended weekend
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,272 Times in 731 Posts

How many people didn’t have a problem that were there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Drill That Oil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:33 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 6,247 Times in 2,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Most vets don't give a damn about the stupid holidays. Its excuse for people to grill out.
Memorial Day is not a holiday, it is a day to remember and honor those who served and never returned. Most of the Veterans I know treat it as such. Most of us participate in some form of appropriate ceremony, even during this pandemic. I played TAPS at the cemetery. Others made a Memorial video. Next year we will again have a parade, a ceremony at the Court House, a ceremony at the cemetery, and another at the local VA hospital.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Yehudi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,095 Times in 2,512 Posts

What happened to beer and shooting? Thats what I did....wasnt the OP complaining about one of her nieghbors being triggered by a hat at a bbq in Texas?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,376 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
What happened to beer and shooting? Thats what I did....wasnt the OP complaining about one of her nieghbors being triggered by a hat at a bbq in Texas?
It was until derelict driver showed up.
OP, too bad someone there didn't step in and explain to her the multitude of stupidity she emitted.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,055 Times in 3,124 Posts

Seems like you have at least one idiotic neighbor
That does not happen around here
But I don't live in the suburbs

Your idiotic neighbor would be set straight here in short order
She would already know better, so it never would have happened
She is probably mentally ill

Also, the issue about going to a squish "religious" service
That was the first mistake
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,450 Times in 9,798 Posts

Some people are always going to be triggered by a Vietnam hat and get upset. That was just the times. He might consider just getting a "veteran" hat if he wants people to respect/thank him, or get one of those "Navy" hats, etc.

I also don't think it's appropriate to wear a military hat to a religious service.

My Dad is a veteran served during Vietnam, his father served as well. He never went around telling everyone he did that. It was enough for him to know he served his country and would have a nice military funeral. On occasional casual occasions, e has a hat just says "Army Vet" and leaves it at that, has lunch with some other vets now and then.

My stepmother's first husband was a worthless scum of a human being who was also a Vietnam vet, so not all of them are choir boys either.

I also know a guy who manipulates/uses his veteran status at every opportunity. My Dad is the only vet I know who stays classy and isn't seeking attention/freebies/money/sex from others as a result.

It's like saying "I went and poked a beehive and I got stung". What did he expect?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,657 Times in 13,205 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

My Uncle was in Vietnam, fought there, came home, raised his family, spoke very little about it and died several years ago from leukemia that they linked to his exposure to agent orange while in Vietnam so that war is still killing people.

Please thank your husband for me, he and all other vets deserve it whether the admit they do or not.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:31 PM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,225 Times in 548 Posts

I'm sorry your husband had to experience that stupidity from you neighbor.

As a disabled vet...(and I think this has already been mentioned..) I am one of those who haven't found a suitable way to go through memorial day. I remember....and spend the day doing things which I enjoy because I know my brothers and sisters would have wanted that.

I do think you are correct to not let your neighbors know what you've been up to (prepping), but it sounds like most of them are very stand-up type people. The fact that they gather to sing together tells me they are good folks (most of them). Forgive the ignorance of the one....pray for them all, and be friendly to all.

Please tell your husband I said thank-you and welcome home (many were never told that) from a fellow vet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northern-Lights For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Moving west

Thank your man for his service. Tell him to wear his hats with pride. Many Vets from many conflicts still can not talk about their service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,181 Times in 394 Posts

Part of me thinks there are still probably people over there is little bamboo cages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,638 Times in 8,873 Posts

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tnam&FORM=IGRE

Look up satellite images of POWs in Viet Nam. You would be amazed who was left behind and why.

I would image that a small percent of our guys decided to stay behind on their own like what happened at the end of the Korean War. We had like 13 guys stay with the North Koreans instead of return home.

I know from intelligence sources that when China and Viet Nam got into a fight one time, American voices were heard coming over radio frequencies as those voices operated the back seat or weapons position of certain jets. Those voices were caught on recordings from U.S. Navy ships monitoring the combat along the Chinese-Vietnamese border.

Other photos showed signs which indicated American prisoners were still being held in captivity long after we got back a bunch from Hanoi. Some were held in Cambodia, some in Laos and some in outlying parts of Viet Nam. So we did NOT recover all of our people over there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 01:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 72,811 Times in 22,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Some people are always going to be triggered by a Vietnam hat and get upset. That was just the times. He might consider just getting a "veteran" hat if he wants people to respect/thank him, or get one of those "Navy" hats, etc.

I also don't think it's appropriate to wear a military hat to a religious service

My Dad is a veteran served during Vietnam, his father served as well. He never went around telling everyone he did that. It was enough for him to know he served his country and would have a nice military funeral. On occasional casual occasions, e has a hat just says "Army Vet" and leaves it at that, has lunch with some other vets now and then.

My stepmother's first husband was a worthless scum of a human being who was also a Vietnam vet, so not all of them are choir boys either.

I also know a guy who manipulates/uses his veteran status at every opportunity. My Dad is the only vet I know who stays classy and isn't seeking attention/freebies/money/sex from others as a result.

It's like saying "I went and poked a beehive and I got stung". What did he expect?
I don't wear veteran or cammo anything, and the only thing I use it for is getting out of tickets.

Anyone who has a problem with a veteran (Vietnam or other) for their service can kiss my ass and go **** themselves.

People who are dumb enough to have a problem with "military hats" at a religious service must of never heard of a military Chaplin.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 02:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,401 Times in 8,231 Posts

I'm a Vietnam Vet & although I didn't agree on how that war was fought.
I'm proud of my service in it.

I occasionally wear a Vietnam Vets hat.
I have gotten more "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE" from strangers in the last year.
Than I received all total in the last 30 years.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:47 AM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 11,181 Times in 2,436 Posts

Wife's father served in Vietnam. Died many years later from medical issues related to his service. I have no problem with Vets wearing hats or anything else that indicates their service. In fact, it seems appropriate at some services, and memorial locations.

Her father was not able to work after Vietnam. I think there are a handful that embellish their disabilities to get stuff. He had over 100 surgeries - including three organ transplants - over the years before he passed, so he wasn't one of that group. His biggest accomplishment was serving because he wasn't physically able to accomplish anything after he returned. He always wore his hat and it was appropriate.

I do sometimes see a 75 year old vet dressed in an "I served" hat and it makes me sad because 50 years later that's still how they define themselves. It's like the accomplishments of the last 50 years didn't count for anything. Still stuck in what they accomplished (or were forced to endure) in 1970. I think it makes me sad because I saw how my father in law was never mentally or emotionally released from his service. It was his only accomplishment with nothing else to look forward too.

I am in no way against wearing the "I served" hat. I just wish there was a "master machinist", "Dad of 3 great kids", "married for 45 years", "deacon at my church", or something hat that shows a lifetime of accomplishments after their service counts for something too. I want them to be released from their service and able to define themselves by accomplishments of the last 50 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,669 Times in 5,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by film495 View Post
Part of me thinks there are still probably people over there is little bamboo cages.
This is why my POW/MIA flag flies outside my house every day.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,104 Times in 3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post

I also don't think it's appropriate to wear a military hat to a religious service.
I don't wear stuff to show I'm a Vet, but for those that do you don't think it's right to wear them on memorial day???? Some of these guys may have lost FRIENDS there.

I'm seeing a lot more Nam caps or even the service ribbon around town these days, I like them because I usually start up a conversation with others who were there.

Who knows maybe I'll start wearing something, probably something that is less obvious than "VIET NAM VET" in bold letters. The service ribbon would mostly only recognized by those that have them.

I like talking to the old guys who were there. I'm NOT interested in getting into shouting matches with folks who were idiot children back then and never grew up.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post: