Yes! Everyone should be wearing masks! How dare you!! 29 16.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,136 Times in 9,352 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
WOW imagine if all the brave men and women we honor today had given up after 30 minutes.
The 90lb ruck? Hurts my back if I carry it for more than a few minutes, so I left it behind.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:17 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,899 Times in 4,187 Posts

Quote:
WOW imagine if all the brave men and women we honor today had given up after 30 minutes.
Wow.... imagine you bringing up something you know nothing about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:20 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
The 90lb ruck? Hurts my back if I carry it for more than a few minutes, so I left it behind.
So tell me hero..... how many years did you serve? How many times did you serve on foreign soil ? How many times did you carry the 90 pound ruck that you talk about? You canít even muster the courage to leave your house.
You once again show how little you know about people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 05:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,473 Times in 22,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
So tell me hero..... how many years did you serve? How many times did you serve on foreign soil ? How many times did you carry the 90 pound ruck that you talk about? You canít even muster the courage to leave your house.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Quote:
I was on boot leave on 9/11 and was medically retired 2009
Iraq 04-05
Max was 200, but a ruck run was weekly PT, let alone patrolling or road marching.

Always amusing when you run your suck. Not as amusing as when you do it to avoid answering a direct question though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:30 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Here it is.... if I donít feel like wearing a useless mask when walking out the doors of a business or while driving my truck... I do believe itís my right to take it off

If that hurts anyoneís feelings on here.... oh well. My comfort comes before your made up fears.

I do believe I told you I wear the damn mask where it is required... but last time I checked...no one says I have to wear it in my truck or walking in a parking lot.

I think itís pretty simple. If not maybe I can type...slowwwer for you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
I will be wearing One Tuesday when I go to town for the first time in over 3 months.

I'll feel dumb, but I'll also feel dumb if I have a full face P100 and don't use it.
There are enough people wearing a mask that you won't feel dumb or even out of place. However, I seem to be the only one wearing googles.

Totally agree, you have it, use it. I neither let my pride stand in the way of doing what is in my best interest nor worrying about what others think about me nor try to impress people that I don't know.

For me, what I noticed about my first outing was that it felt strange just being out and about and around others. At the time of my first outing, there was a mutual sense of feeling of distrust between people, which seems to have subsided somewhat since that time.

Some things have changed since you were last out three (3) months ago. Hard plastic shield between you and the cashier. Some stores now have one-way only aisles. Marked customer spacing on the floor at the checkout lanes. If not six (6) feet between checkout lanes, stores can only use every other checkout lane. Only one (1) door in and one (1) door out. Limit on number of customers allowed in a store at time. When one leaves, they let one in; but there are less customers now, and my state is now allowing more people in at a time, so now, the line to get in has seemed to have vanished. Some stores not accepting cash. No return or raincheck policies. Some stores have limits on many items.

While certainly not back to normal, as some items are still missing, grocery stores have made a good move towards normalcy in regards to their stock.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:41 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,575 Times in 6,495 Posts

Quote:
Here it is.... if I don’t feel like wearing a useless mask when walking out the doors of a business or while driving my truck... I do believe it’s my right to take it off
It is.

And we will point out how painful ignorant and self centered you are at every opportunity to make it clear to the silent majority that even though your fingers are tapping, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to anything survival related at it seems you lack even the most basic philosophical concepts.

Masks and gloves are only useless in your hands...because you don't know how to use them, and lack the fortitude to accept the inconvenience.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post

For me, what I noticed about my first outing was that it felt strange just being out and about and around others.
This is going to be the thing I remember the most about this (so far at least), that feeling, that look in everyone's eyes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:

What just makes me laugh and shake my head is when I see people driving ALONE in their car......wearing a mask ��.
Someone want to explain that idiocy
I certainly don't consider myself an idiot; however, I'm more than willing to explain my reasoning behind why I do that.

When I go grocery shopping, I sometimes go to both of the grocery stores in my town and sometimes to the local meat store, and possibly go through the drive through at the drug store for a prescription.

I put my mask on when I arrive at my first destination. While I do use hand sanitizer when out, I neither touch my mask nor my googles nor my face until I get home and have washed my hands, and then I can also wash my face.

One is not suppose to touch their mask or face until their hands are clean. So, while you may consider me to be an idiot for wearing a mask while alone in my car, the way I see it is, I'm doing it the correct way.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Survivor

I've sat in friends yards 3x now, had to tell a couple to back up a few times.

our here I doubt all those measures will be/are being taken, but I'll see. I'll be wearing a full face, so I expect it to stand out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,462 Times in 13,662 Posts

Quote:
Certainly.
Everytime you remove your mask and put it back on, you touch your face, the dirty mask, back to your face, rinse and repeat.
Apply the mask correctly before leaving the house and do not touch it or your face again until you are home where it can be properly disinfected and you can wash your hands afterwards.
Ever hear of hand sanitizer? Carry some in the car. Dirty mask? How dirty could it be? What about the home-made ones? As far as not touching my face, that went out the window months ago.

Quote:
If all the brave men and women had hidden in their basements in 1918, we would have lost WWI.

Quote:
Wow.... imagine you bringing up something you know nothing about.

I have N95s but the damn elastic bands are so tight I can't wear them for longer than a few minutes. Like when I'm sanding or working in other dusty places.

I made my own which is much more comfortable. It has adjustable ear loops so I can make it not too tight.

I wear it where required. I might wash it someday.

We went to the cemetery yesterday so as to beat the rush. Of course the city has the main road that fronts it COMPLETELY blocked and torn up. Tons of people, hardly ANY masks. No need as far as I'm concerned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Prepared

They haven't made wearing a mask here the law, but if they do I am sorely tempted to get a bio-hazard suit and wear it when required to wear a mask. If asked why I think the response will be, since the government seems to always be behind the curve if they think it is bad enough that I wear a mask, it is probably bad enough to have at least a full gas mask and a full bio-hazard suit is not a bad idea. Perhaps I can start a trend.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlm1966 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
I was on boot leave on 9/11 and was medically retired 2009
Iraq 04-05
Max was 200, but a ruck run was weekly PT, let alone patrolling or road marching.

Always amusing when you run your suck. Not as amusing as when you do it to avoid answering a direct question though.
I was serving in other ways saving lives and wrecking my body in the medical field and law enforcement. Got a bum shoulder I earned on the job as well. Grabbed and stabilized a guy having a seizure with a neck injury going head first toward the floor from standing ripping my tendons apart. Now my shoulder's held together with a zip tie.

If the call came and I needed to carry a 90lb ruck into battle I'd embrace the suck and do what I needed to do or die trying. I've proven many times in my life that I can endure pain and suffering to get the job done.

But you know what? I still wouldn't claim to be Nomad's equal. He's gone way above and beyond.

No one's asking you to reach the level of the people you're supposed to be memorializing today. Not even Nomad's level. But we might respect you if you demonstrated SOME level of grit. Everyone else you seem to love to call weak seem to have a long history of sacrifice and service. Marines and Soldiers, EMTs, Firefighters, LEOs, etc. Yet you can't handle minor inconveniences and have nothing but disrespect for those who do step up.

But whatever, go back to indulging and obsessing over yourself all day instead of honoring duty and sacrifice. I'd hate for you to spend this valuable time showing some respect by even thinking about enduring a tiny minuscule amount of it yourself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,122 Times in 3,039 Posts

Most masks do little to protect you from others. They do help protect others from you though. The obvious exceptions being N95/100 masks and the like. But even they are limited. If you get sneezed on, do you undress with your mask and gloves on? IMO, the gloves are more important than the cheap masks most people are wearing. IMO, even they are less important than basic good hygiene.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Dirty mask? How dirty could it be?
Contaminated. Not dirty. Contaminated. And it will be as contaminated as your face would have been if you had not been wearing it, which could be anything ranging from nothing, to lethal levels. Unless you have a way of knowing what that level is proper procedure is to treat the outside of your mask like it's a deadly surface.

Quote:
What about the home-made ones?
What about them?

Quote:
I have N95s but the damn elastic bands are so tight I can't wear them for longer than a few minutes. Like when I'm sanding or working in other dusty places.
Ah, I'm seeing a pattern here

Yes. They have to be tight. If they leak any air around the sides it reduces their effectiveness from 95+ to about 50%

The edges of the mask should be digging into your skin. If it doesn't leave a red mark and dent in the skin after wearing it for a few minutes it's not fitting tight enough. Medical workers are developing bruises at this point after wearing masks for many hours day after day.

If it doesn't take noticeable effort to draw breath, it's not fitting tightly enough.

This is of course if your trying to protect yourself. Even a loose, bad mask, provides a fair amount of protection for other people.

It's lucky how many tough people we actually have. A few counter examples not withstanding.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
If you get sneezed on, do you undress with your mask and gloves on?
Yes. Proper order is to remove your outer clothing first, while keeping your mask and gloves on, and then remove the mask next, the gloves last, using proper technique so as not to contaminate yourself with your own gloves.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Most masks do little to protect you from others. They do help protect others from you though. The obvious exceptions being N95/100 masks and the like. But even they are limited. If you get sneezed on, do you undress with your mask and gloves on? IMO, the gloves are more important than the cheap masks most people are wearing. IMO, even they are less important than basic good hygiene.
False. It does a lot to protect either way. Animal test conducted for SARS 2 virus recently.

When the infected animals had the cloth mask on their cage 85% protection for the uninfected animals.

When the uninfected were covered 64% were protected.

Assume an R0 of 2.

Infected wear masks = R0 of 0.3 = Pandemic dies out
Uninfected wear masks = R0 of 0.66 = Pandemic dies out

Both wearing masks and R0 and you can stop it in its tracks like most mask-wearing Asian countries.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I was serving in other ways saving lives and wrecking my body in the medical field and law enforcement. Got a bum shoulder I earned on the job as well. Grabbed and stabilized a guy having a seizure with a neck injury going head first toward the floor from standing ripping my tendons apart. Now my shoulder's held together with a zip tie.

If the call came and I needed to carry a 90lb ruck into battle I'd embrace the suck and do what I needed to do or die trying. I've proven many times in my life that I can endure pain and suffering to get the job done.

But you know what? I still wouldn't claim to be Nomad's....
I don't compare pain and I don't compare sacrifice.

My only intent was to remove any "room for discussion" by repeating your statement.

Today is about those who died, Not even those like my buddy Matt who has been in a wheelchair since 2005 thanks to a morter round, or my other buddy Matt (I just realized that since I'm used to thinking of them by their last names... Glad I'm not named Matt) who's marriage fell apart from the results of the IED he was blown up by November 11, 2004.
(We were fortunate. Wounds, but none died except for Sgt xxx who was declared dead by the doctor and then reached up, grabbed the doctor by his collar and said: "I'm not dead, give me a mother****ing cigarette. "
He was back with us in under a month, and his call sign was "iron man" from then on.

Walked off a daisy chain of buried 155 rounds.
Sorry, memories.

Point being:

Veterans day is for the living (well, is and car and furniture sales)
Memorial day is for the dead.

****. I just thought about how many committed suicide after we got back.
Guess we did, it just took a while to take.

Where is the rum.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Contaminated. Not dirty. Contaminated. And it will be as contaminated as your face would have been if you had not been wearing it, which could be anything ranging from nothing, to lethal levels. Unless you have a way of knowing what that level is proper procedure is to treat the outside of your mask like it's a deadly surface.

What about them?

Ah, I'm seeing a pattern here

Yes. They have to be tight. If they leak any air around the sides it reduces their effectiveness from 95+ to about 50%

The edges of the mask should be digging into your skin. If it doesn't leave a red mark and dent in the skin after wearing it for a few minutes it's not fitting tight enough. Medical workers are developing bruises at this point after wearing masks for many hours day after day.

If it doesn't take noticeable effort to draw breath, it's not fitting tightly enough.

This is of course if your trying to protect yourself. Even a loose, bad mask, provides a fair amount of protection for other people.

It's lucky how many tough people we actually have. A few counter examples not withstanding.

My wife had a nurse who had a reaction to some ****ty Chinese mask. Her face blistered. Guess what the nurse did? Toughed it out and wore the mask until my wife saw the blisters around the edge of the mask, relieved her from duty, and sent her to staff health for treatment and discharge to home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,122 Times in 3,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Yes. Proper order is to remove your outer clothing first, while keeping your mask and gloves on, and then remove the mask next, the gloves last, using proper technique so as not to contaminate yourself with your own gloves.
I know, but do people actually do it? I doubt most do.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post: