SOFT Shackles now a must for me - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,159 Times in 885 Posts
Default SOFT Shackles now a must for me

Advertise Here

I read about these on a forum where people were worried about scratching up their chrome tow hooks. Seriously.

Then I watched several Utube videos on them. Also several destruction testing of straps and lines.

Anyways, a synthetic rope with a protective sheath that stays together with a ball head through an adjustable braided loop. Strengths vary. Yes, more $$ than a steel shackle.
But you can wrap them around a lot of things that have no tow hooks or too large for your shackles. Big bonus, connecting lines or straps together or to a tree saver. Using a steel shackle results in an extra killer missile if the line breaks. Yes, you can run line loops together but that can result in two straps/lines permanently attached due to stretching and contracting.

Used one for the first time yanking my lawn tractor front wheels out of a 6" rut left by my SIL's dump trailer was turned around there with 6 ton or so of #2 gravel in it. He did double my gravel driveway width, though.

"Now I'm a Believer".
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,421 Times in 864 Posts

I ordered some soft shackles and a snatch rope from Bubba Ropes. After getting the shackles and watching YouTube how-tos, I ordered some Dyneema and I’m going to make my own.

They are fairly easy to make.
The Following User Says Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:52 PM
Not John Wick

Thanked 1,443 Times in 424 Posts

I thought you were talking handcuffs. ��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 03:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,162 Posts

Use the equipment like it should and you’ll be fine. Snatch straps are made to use the shock of a loose strap like a rubber band. A chain is made to stay tight and give a constant pull, no snapping. I’ve never had issues with the old school metal screw in shackles and 1/2” or larger chain. Snapping a chain can shoot the chain or what it is attached to back and seriously injure someone. For vehicles I have big snatch straps and heavy gauge shackles or a pintle hitch to attach and pull. Both shackles and attachment points are many times heavier duty than the vehicle. (60klb snatch strap and 20k lb shackle for 8k vehicle)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,619 Times in 2,498 Posts

Nylon rope or straps stretch a lot. Polyester straps don't. For most strap applications you don't want stretch.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

I'll just stick with my CGU-1B's that I've never had a problem with, EVER! Thank You!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:41 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 81,703 Times in 23,725 Posts

Soft shackles and a snatch rope?

I don't even want to know.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,943 Times in 3,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I thought you were talking handcuffs. ��
I had the same thought, and was going to mention the hobbles that I just bought for the goat...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,120 Times in 1,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloyiod View Post
I'll just stick with my CGU-1B's that I've never had a problem with, EVER! Thank You!
For a tow/snatch strap?? NO That's tiedown strap.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,619 Times in 2,498 Posts

Never had luck with horse hobbles. Except cross tie between opposite front and back leg. Otherwise with front feet hobbled, in less than an hour they go from stumbling around to galloping with front feet together. Horses can also kind of tip toe across cattle guards. Though if they slipped it would be realy really bad.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:22 AM

Why people have chrome tow hooks is mildly mind boggling to me, but that's subjective and irrelevant.

I will never in my life use synthetic rope of any kind against metal for any towing, tie down or rigging application. As a millwright, I've done it as a last resort and it failed... Miserably. I did argue against it in the first place to no avail.

To me, after looking into them, they look like a money grab for people who go "rock crawling," but don't actually do much more than drive around.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlinShooter44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 AM

When I saw 'soft shackles are a must for me' I thought I must have stumbled onto some kinky S & M site!!! Then I actually read it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Australian410hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 16,641 Times in 5,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
I read about these on a forum where people were worried about scratching up their chrome tow hooks. Seriously.

Then I watched several Utube videos on them. Also several destruction testing of straps and lines.

Anyways, a synthetic rope with a protective sheath that stays together with a ball head through an adjustable braided loop. Strengths vary. Yes, more $$ than a steel shackle.
But you can wrap them around a lot of things that have no tow hooks or too large for your shackles. Big bonus, connecting lines or straps together or to a tree saver. Using a steel shackle results in an extra killer missile if the line breaks. Yes, you can run line loops together but that can result in two straps/lines permanently attached due to stretching and contracting.

Used one for the first time yanking my lawn tractor front wheels out of a 6" rut left by my SIL's dump trailer was turned around there with 6 ton or so of #2 gravel in it. He did double my gravel driveway width, though.

"Now I'm a Believer".
That's why you put something strong but lightweight in the connection to allow you to get them apart afterwards.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,401 Times in 8,231 Posts

All our bug-out vehicles carry tow straps & clevis's.
(Compact, strong & very versatile)

The HVY duty vehicles also carry choker type tow cables & tow chains.