Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Not John Wick

Thanked 1,495 Times in 446 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
I gave one to all my girlfriends and wife.
Your wife sounds like a very understanding woman.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 07:36 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,255 Times in 4,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
There seems to be a rather large correlation between juvenile behavior and owning a Glock ...
And theres a lot of "old fogey" nostalgia, far out war stories, and Biden fog going on with the other stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,678 Times in 2,865 Posts

WONDER just how many hours Gamins spent on the range every week before his epiphany?

When I was an FTO and the RATs would ask about guns and ammo and such and how many rounds should they carry etc, I would ask them how many hours a week they spent on the range. IF they said "Don't you mean a month?" I would tell them they aren't carrying enough.

I carried 4 extra mags on the belt and the one in the gun.
I never found myself in a situation where I had to reload.
In the 3 very personal situations I was involved with, I had 2/3s of the ammo left in the gun when we finished. I Probably could have had more, but the way I trained, it is hard to turn off when the juices are flowing and things from start to finish are over with in a couple seconds.

I once won 4 dinners from 4 different Feds who didn't understand what practice and training can let you do. The bet started with them ragging on the slow single stack "OLD" .45 against their wonder 9s. I told them the single stack wasn't an issue because it could be reloaded so fast if needed. More words were spoken, the bet, was going from low ready, I had to run 28 rounds in 15 seconds and keep the rounds inside the milk bottle K zone at 15 feet. That entailed 3 reloads.
The trick is just don't shoot the gun dry. Count the rounds, never have to release the slide. They had no concept regarding what training can do because they were Feds, to them a gun was something that made their pants sag and their jackets bulge and it ruined clothes from the checkered grip rubbing against the shirt and jacket liner.

BUT
Up to those confrontations in my life I had spent over 200,000 rounds of just .45 on the range with thousands of hours of draw and fire drills.
As Wyatt Earp said, "Speed is fine, accuracy is final."
If you can combine them both, you won't need 100 rounds of ammo on your belt.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,294 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I had to laugh when someone posted here about Glocks complaining they didn't update enuf for their taste. What do they think about 1911's then???

The 1911's are heavy, have to keep cocked and locked to be ready, you have to manipulate the hammer, low capacity, poor penetration. In short they are archaic pieces of ****.

I've had many of them over the years. This is my last one. An early 1990's vintage .45 Colt Custom Shop Special Combat Gov. in hard chromed finish. I had it on consignment at a gun shop. The guy is 80 years old and shut down for 6 weeks. Had to meet him at the door of his shop Friday to luckily get it back before he dies of the corrosive virus. He is closed and does not let anyone into the shop any longer.

Even though an archaic piece of **** I wanted it back. I was going to keep it as just another gun around the house, maybe in the garage, but don't even like it for that. I have enough coverage anyway. I have 1 gun already in the garage, 1 in the car and another 3 guns within 8 - 15 feet.

I will say this is one hell of a shooter. Prob the best big bore pistol I've ever shot. But so what. I don't need pinpoint accuracy to kill someone. I will put it on Gunbroker someday when I get round to it. It is for a gun fondler or big bore paper puncher.
Haha, oh man. Majority of this forum are bored boomers. And Boomers. Love. 1911s. I havent even read the comments and I already know what they are going to be.

But you are right. Clunky, low penetration, expensive to repair.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
HE DID that for the people who weren't man enough to shoot the 1911.

Don't get me wrong, The HP is a fantastic weapons design. I gave one to all my girlfriends and wife.
but
for going in harms way, 1911 in 45ACP.

Don't need a large capacity if you can hit what you need to hit and you don't need to hit more than once with a .45acp to stop a fight if you do it right..
If you "do it right" you can stop a fight with a .17 hmr.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:47 PM
Hiker

Quote:
There seems to be a rather large correlation between juvenile behavior and owning a Glock ...
1) ok boomer

2) i believe practically everyone who shoots has at least one polymer pistol.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,247 Times in 413 Posts

I don't know. I never owned a 1911, but have fired some at the range. The capacity is not high, but one can just carry extra mags. So, capacity is kind of relative - to how quickly one can put in a fresh magazine. I don't have one because I don't shoot it particularly well, but if I knew I was going into a battle, and didn't have a rifle, I'd want .45 ACP over 9mm and would figure it out. For day to day, 9mm is enough IMHO. .45 ACP was designed for guys who were definitely going to use it in the theater.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to film495 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So would this be a 1911 vs Glock thread? A .45 vs 9mm thread?
A heavy trolling thread?

Now where is that AR vs AK thread.
M-14 , MINI-14 , MINI-30 debate get it right since we ain't never done it before. LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,214 Times in 8,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Even John Browning knew... Thats why in 35 the Hi Power was born......
John Browning had already passed by then.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,635 Times in 6,775 Posts

While I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I own a couple 1911s as well as a couple Glocks, I do think that the needs of the average law enforcement officer and those of the average legally armed civilian are worlds apart.

The law enforcement officer goes to work each day (if s/he is wise) expecting to encounter a gunfight and mentally and physically prepared to engage with multiple attackers in any scenario from a bank robbery to a barricaded hostage taking or active shooters in a mall or hotel. It could be anything from gang activity to terrorism, and might involve rifles, shotguns, or improvised explosives.

The average civilian has a much lower chance of encountering bank robbers, gangland shootouts, or terrorists.

Anecdotal evidence along the lines of the NRA's 'armed civilian' columns or other media accounts suggests most civilian armed encounters involve hold-ups in supermarket parking lots, gas stations, or restaurants, or armed intruders breaking into homes. Very seldom are average civilians facing multiple adversaries armed with anything other than handguns.

What you're issued or carry as a LEO is generally dictated by the needs of your department, and your method of carry is generally similarly defined for you.

What you carry as an armed civilian is generally whatever you're comfortable concealing under whatever seasonally-appropriate clothing you're wearing.

These are two entirely different environments and two entirely different potential threat spectrums. They are not statistically comparable, in terms of one answer that is optimal in all cases.

Most civilians are not John Wick. Civilian encounters will basically conform to the "3-7 rounds fired within 3-7 seconds at ranges of 3-7 feet" category. It's my personal opinion that in most cases criminals who target civilians are not expecting a kinetic response, and almost anything that the civilian fires at the criminal is likely to result in a rapid reassessment and an attitude adjustment.

This isn't the case for police officers, who in fact may be specifically targeted or set up to be ambushed.

As a legally armed civilian I don't feel under-gunned carrying a Colt 1911. As a law enforcement officer facing the full range of today's potential adversaries, I certainly would opt for a higher-capacity handgun and a much larger load out.

Just MHO. YMMV.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,044 Times in 10,175 Posts

P 35 9mm is good for shooting people in the back of the head at close range, and just to make it easier they put in a magazine safety to make it harder to do single shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 10:45 PM

Thanked 7,619 Times in 2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
1) ok boomer

I've shot Glocks and other plastic 9s, stripped and cleaned them. Some of my family have them. I don't like the way they feel or function. Any time I find myself questioning them I borrow one or two of the family's when I go to the range and shoot them with my 45ACP 1911s then remember why I don't like them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,854 Times in 9,448 Posts

They're the 1965 Mustangs of the car collector world, really.

It gets the job done, and has lots of class and fantastic history.

It's not the best at much or anything. Modern designs are simply better and there's no real debate.

I LOVE the 1911, have probably more than 10 of them including 2 high end ones. But let's be real, they are really heavy for low capacity and the .45 isn't really any better than the 9mm when comparing actual self defense premium bullets.

I also LOVE classic muscle cars, but they aren't for road trips or daily commuting or bad weather. Let's just be real, shall we?

I'm shopping for a old Corvette, and I have a modern 6.4L 392 Hemi Challenger. It doesn't get driven in snow or heavy rain or road trips. I have 1911s. They don't get carried or called upon for home defense. There are better tools, but we can enjoy the coolness of the tool even if there are better ones for the correct job.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,470 Times in 22,648 Posts

I used to LOVE pulling out my SS Para Ordance P14 Limited (14+1 .45 1911)
At times like thesel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:55 AM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,402 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
John Browning had already passed by then.
O sure, argue with facts.. sheesh. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:42 AM
Not John Wick

Quote:
1) ok boomer

1. Hook, line and sinker. But hey, no point in being a dumb ass if you cannot share it with is right?

2. Wrong. Not all of us have to make do with the cheapest junk on the market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,255 Times in 4,941 Posts

Lots of cheap, and not so cheap junk out there, and not all of it is plastic.

Ive owned a few 1911's that have fit that bill too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Hiker

Quote:
1. Hook, line and sinker. But hey, no point in being a dumb ass if you cannot share it with is right?

2. Wrong. Not all of us have to make do with dthe cheapest junk on the market.
1) oh man, your feelings actually got hurt! I was joking! Wipe your old, tear filled eyes boomer.

2) you can get 1911s and revolvers both for less than $500, while there are polymer pistols that cost $1000. Just because its got a metal frame doesnt mean that its not junk.

The 1911 is a decent gun (I have owned a couple) but it's out performed by a whole lot of modern designs.

Stop getting your panties in a twist over words lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Not John Wick

Quote:
1) oh man, your feelings actually got hurt! I was joking! Wipe your old, tear filled eyes boomer.
Joking, yeah maybe. Childish, definitely. To much of a dummy to realize you're still acting like juvenile, oh hell yeah.

My eyes may be old and tear filled but at least they don't have to look through the sights of the cheapest junk available each time I am at the range.

Quote:
2) you can get 1911s and revolvers both for less than $500,
Yes, that's probably what you had

Quote:
while there are polymer pistols that cost $1000.
But they're not called Glocks, and their owners generally aren't infantile.

Quote:
The 1911 is a decent gun (I have owned a couple) but it's out performed by a whole lot of modern designs.
My my, junior is an gun expert now.

Quote:
Stop getting your panties in a twist over words lol.
I'll do my best junior. You try working on acting like an adult now, you hear?

<ignored>
The Following User Says Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,847 Times in 2,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
Must be nice to know how many attackers you wiil be facing & that you will be able to put them each down with 1 shot.
"put them down?" dude..it's a 45acp out of a 1911.. you don't "put them down" one shot blows them out the window!! (LOL) seriously +1 on the SA V10... I own one of those V10ultras..factory hogue finger groove grip...very nice shooter and have taken multiple advanced courses with it.

also own a number of other 1911 platforms, colt, kimber, springer and an old 1943 Remmington Rand....anyone who feels they want to give away their 1911... just ping me and I'll send you my shipping address...

and yes, there are plenty of tupperware firearms here as well...in other cals....but I've got no quams grabbing a 1911 for a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post: