In light of the times we are living in... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 05-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 18,010 Times in 4,782 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default In light of the times we are living in...

Advertise Here

...I want to bring dehydrating to the forefront. Yes, there are a ton of resources here about this topic. Everything you could want to know is found here

My point being, when one part of the food supply is stressed, it puts stress on the others. Beans had just come back when meat shortages and price spikes began, now, no more beans. I think much of it temporary except meats. Culling takes a year to recover from, maybe more when other aspects are accounted for.
For now produce is still cheap.And here is the point of my post.
Many of you are talking about space constraints and want to get in while vitamin rich veggies are out there. This frees up some funds for buying proteins at a higher cost if needed. I mean, a fridge/freezer can only hold 40 pounds of meat.

Yeah sideways pic and I don't want to fix it.

This is less than a quart of dehydrated carrots. And was 5 pounds fresh.

I can get 10 pounds of carrots per jar. EVERYONE has space for this type of storage.
Now, I have the number 10 cans but, I never paid much attention outside of servings. We have always dehydrated but, it was just to spread the Summer into the next harvest. I never paid attention to the actual food value and space savings.
And I am one of the few that do not count calories in my storage plans. I count menus. We plan our normal meals and prep accordingly. i.e. I have 100 complete this meal, and 100 of this meal. and on and and on.
The one caveat being, we have excess beans and rice and wheat and many things that make a complete protein in the absence of meat.

But, seriously, You small dwelling people need to look at this home dehydrating stuff. Cheap and easy and LTS worthy.

10 mason jars is 100 pounds of carrots. Celery will be even more....The charts online are not doing this justice. I could put over 800 pounds worth of dehydrated food under my bed and still have room for my shoes and my favorite Birkenstocks. I know the jokes but, they rock after wearing work boots all day.

Food for thought, well, food for more, for many people.

Yours.

Shawn

Last edited by cannonfoddertfc; 05-10-2020 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Link Fixed
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,475 Times in 22,652 Posts

I plan on dehydrating greens this year.

I prefer most vegies raw, not frozen or canned.

So I'm going to dry and powder greens (starting with Raddish tops tomorrow) (I may blanch and freeze or can with Tattlers temporarely)
I figure can add the powdered greens to soups or just eat a few spoonfuls next winter.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 12:22 AM
Survivor

BTW:
I can't see any pix
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 12:30 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 18,010 Times in 4,782 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
BTW:
I can't see any pix
You should, I uploaded it to this site and the source link is from here. You can go to my profile and see it under my photo album "food" .
Old 05-10-2020, 12:34 AM
Survivor

Tried that after you recommended it:

Quote:
Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
You are so notified.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 12:38 AM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 5,275 Times in 1,691 Posts

I see a sideways jar half full of what I assume are carrots.

*EDIT* and I fixed your link and I can see the photo in your albums.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 12:43 AM

EDIT: Nomad beat me to it!

I tried the link in the original post because dehydrating is something I want to get into but it didn't work.

Also no pic showing for me, too.

And I opened your profile page, clicked on "Show all statistics" then "Albums created by MTShawn" and got an "Invalid Album specified" error.

2nd EDIT: A similar thing happened in the "Can anyone identify these seeds?" thread.

3rd EDIT: Link working now. Still no pic and no albums.
The Following User Says Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 01:09 AM
Survivor

Still nutin.

Baaad influence. I realised the wood stove was going, so why waste it.

Went out to the garden and decapitated one of my beds of radishes (gonna give them away tomorrow anyway, and the tops are too old for salad.)

They are now sitting in the oven of the wood stove.
Probably be ready to powder by morning. (Threw in a little bock choi and beet greens.)

When I do all the greens I'll mix The powders together so the mustard, kale etc will "even out" the vitamins.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,860 Times in 3,919 Posts

I've recently gotten back into dehydrating. Kicking myself for not doing it all winter!

It is amazing how much this stuff compacts to. This week I did 4 lbs of strawberries and got 3 pints of dried. I did 7 cans of pineapple slices (a great way to use them up before the cans expire... most of those cans have pop tops and I wouldn't trust them much past the best by date) and got almost 3 quarts out of them, and boy are they delicious!

My new one is miniature marshmallows. I never knew you could dehydrate those until I was looking at some videos on Youtube. They don't shrink, but become sort of crispy, like a Lucky Charm marshmallow. Not nutritious, perhaps, but it will make a nice little snack now and then. 4 10oz bags (which cost me less than $4) made 8 or 9 quarts.

There is a very slight learning curve with how to tell when they are dry (many things, especially fruits, will still seem "moist" and not dry enough even when done, when they actually just needed to cool a bit to harden).

I was talking to my mom about it. She's also got a dehydrator but said she was uncomfortable using it because she was never sure when the stuff was dry enough and she didn't want to get sick. Don't let that be your excuse, too!

Dehydraters are still available on Amazon. As the summer progresses, that might change.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,424 Times in 1,651 Posts

I don't dehydrate as many foods as I would like. The prep is a bit more intense, gotta get over that. I do dehydrate onions. I hate cutting them up, I may try wearing goggles next time. I put the dehydrator on the porch due to the stench of the onions. But a bushel of onions goes down to a few half gallon jars of pieces and if I powder them it is even less. I haven' t needed to do any in a couple years but will need some this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

I've been thinking about dehydrating also. Would any moderately priced dehydrator on Amazon be okay for a newbie? Can anybody recommend a website or book so I can read up on the process?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,676 Times in 13,210 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

For those wanting to learn how to dehydrate stuff you can find threads on it in this section and files you can download in the survival files section like this one https://www.survivalistboards.com/do...o=file&id=1563

You can even make your own dehydrators if you can’t afford to buy one, I’ve seen some made from mesh screens, a fan and some plywood. Never used one that was homemade but have heard they work just fine if you follow the proper steps while drying.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,676 Times in 13,210 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

Something I like to do with dehydrated veggies is rehydrate them using either chicken, beef or veggie stock/broth. Example, throw some dehydrated carrots, onions, sweet peppers, corn, potatoes, and green beans in a crockpot cover the veggies with a few cans of chicken broth and let it simmer all day. Cook some rice at meal time and mix it into the crockpot and you’ve got a tasty dish that’s very nutritious and filling you can use as a side to some grilled chicken.

Be creative

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

Last edited by jfountain2; 05-10-2020 at 11:43 AM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 08:03 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajones View Post
I've been thinking about dehydrating also. Would any moderately priced dehydrator on Amazon be okay for a newbie? Can anybody recommend a website or book so I can read up on the process?
Best low priced - https://smile.amazon.com/NESCO-FD-75...dp/B0090WOCN0/

Nesco. $50-$60. You can buy additional trays as well as screens. It comes with 5 and can hold as many as 12. Has an adjustable thermostat (don't buy a dehydrator without one).

Best overall - https://smile.amazon.com/Excalibur-3...dp/B008OV4FD0/

Excalibur. $285. It's pricey but it is worth it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 08:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post

Be creative
Oh yes! I'm just getting into this, but I've found quite a few ways to "sneak" them in.

This morning I made hash browns - the ones that come in the large box that you just add hot water to and let sit for 15 minutes, then fry in a skillet.

I added some dehydrated bell peppers to the water. Turned out delicious!

I like to use a rice cooker for rice. If I'm going to be turning that into fried rice, I'll add some bell peppers, onions, and maybe some broccoli and carrots. If I'm making rice for tacos, I'll add some jalapenos and tomato flakes. Edit to make clearer: Those are dehydrated and I just add them right to the water. If you use more than just a pinch you might want to add an equal amount of water (i.e., if you added 3 tbsp of dried, add 3 tbsp more water).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 09:10 AM
Hiker

Do you peel your carrots before dehydrating? Also are you using a Mandoline for consistency?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,678 Times in 8,279 Posts

I have a few Nesco & Excalibur dehydrators. But, because of their size constraints, I also converted a free dead upright freezer into a dehydrator, so I could run LARGE batches of whatever I want to dehydrate.

Conversion is simple & easy. Cut a foot long strip out of the bottom door seal & a 6 inch strip out of the top door seal for flow through air entry & exit. Use a small thermostatically controlled fan driven ceramic heater for interior heat & forced ventilation.

For example;

Marinated jerky strips, slow smoked, then dehydrated to a near perfect consistency.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajones View Post
Just use your car the first couple times.

I'm offgrid, so even though I have an Excalibur I don't use it much.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
I've recently gotten back into dehydrating. Kicking myself for not doing it all winter!
I realized I was wasting my wood stove (it's a combo heat/cook stove) and basically had the oven door cracked all winter. Did about 25 lbs of jerky (AFTER drying) have a big jar of Cajun red beans, and if nothing else was avalable i'd cook some rice real quick and make minute rice...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,609 Times in 44,923 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat wrangler View Post
I don't dehydrate as many foods as I would like. The prep is a bit more intense, gotta get over that. I do dehydrate onions. I hate cutting them up, I may try wearing goggles next time. I put the dehydrator on the porch due to the stench of the onions. But a bushel of onions goes down to a few half gallon jars of pieces and if I powder them it is even less. I haven' t needed to do any in a couple years but will need some this year.
If you get a mandoline type slicer, the job is much easier and faster. This applies to most anything you would dehydrate. And they always slice the exact same thickness too.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: