Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Question Looking to up Grade Vehicle and i need advise

Advertise Here

My first real Bug Out car was a 1993 Subaru Impreza 5-speed Manual ( 1st Generation).The I owned 2 automatic cars both un reliable model Focus (1st Gen) and a Chevy Colorado (1st) gen. I bought 1994 Ford Ranger I am the Second Owner and just a short time ago I did and engine rebuild by changing all the seals/gaskets on the motor and re did the Clutch ( the vehicle is a Mazda V6 manual i even fixed the leaking problems) It has push button 4wheel drive.
I have been recently looking at going back to a Subaru. But this time I would like to get a Forrester or Outback Legacy model. I have bounced the idea around of even getting Toyota or Nissan but price chases me away. I am kind a upset that I cannot find Manual Gear Box on many vehicles out there. I am worried about reliability with Automatics.
I am looking for advise, what type of Vehicle should I buy? Manual or Automatic? For sure i want 4WD but should i get truck or a Station wagon/SUV?

Last edited by Spiritb2f; 05-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: More information so you understand where i come from
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Prepared

What kind of budget?
The Following User Says Thank You to 81eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 03:34 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,658 Times in 2,216 Posts

Automatics are generally as reliable, or more reliable than sticks. At least for the last 20 years or so, anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,498 Times in 2,531 Posts

These days its a toss up as both are very reliably built these days as long as your comfortably still inside the range of Torque and HP they can handle. I would go with the Stick shift if given a choice.

Id go with a truck and get a camper shell for it or with it. This gives you a lot of hauling options that you just dont have in a SUV. You might not need or use some of those options but they are dang sure nice to have when the occasion arises! Just a heads up I dont think anyone is making new camper shells for trucks older than 96.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Prepared

Automatic transmissions are reliable. Their only trouble is that if something goes wrong, they're expensive to fix, whereas changing a clutch is quite affordable.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to countryfree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 06:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,056 Times in 4,087 Posts

Pretty sure you're down to the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma if want 4x4 and a manual transmission in a newer pickup.

Otherwise Jeep still has them available in their Wranglers.
Not sure if a manual is available in the Jeep Gladiator.

I test drove all 3. The Frontier felt the most roomy inside yet everything is outdated.
The Tacoma was modern but cramped for my 6'4 220 frame.

Wrangler was alright until I started reading the Jeep boards about engine failures due to sand casting.

I kept my Frontier and bought a Toyota 4Runner.
If I saw that Toyota had a screaming deal on Tacoma's I'd be really tempted to trade in my 14 year old Frontier.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 07:53 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,854 Times in 9,448 Posts

Far too many variables for a specific recommendation. But I can say that if I were bugging out and needed to cross generally off road but driveable terrain, with high degree of reliability and capability, and bring a lot of gear with me, I'd start and end my search with the Toyota lineup. Either an SUV or a Truck.

Their 4Runners, Sequoia, Land Cruisers, Tacomas, and Tundras are about as well built and reliable as anything ever made. There is a reason the hold good resale value.

Find a babied low mileage one in excellent condition. You can probably get one about 15 years old for between $5,000 to $10,000. Almost anyone can afford that.

The older 4Runners and pickups also come with manual tranny I believe. But I will say that their autos are plenty strong and run for hundreds of thousands of miles. I've got over 200,000 miles on my 4Runner. I've just started having a few minor problems. And I've abused it to a degree... it has not been babied.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,406 Times in 23,886 Posts

Toyotas are recommended by 10 out of 10 middle eastern terrorists, for their reliability. (They aren't wrong)

GMC pickup 4WD V-8s before 2007 might be a close second.

If you want something smaller, Honda's are pretty reliable.

I'm not a fan of Jeeps, fords, Land rover, Nissans. You might get lucky with a Dodge Diesel, but I can think of better ways to gamble.

Some companies make horrible automatic transmissions (Nissan for example).

Some make pretty reliable ones, especially if you change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles or so with Castrol synthetic trans fluid for the vehicle.

Whatever you look at, google the recalls, the reviews, repair videos, etc.
A lot of stuff isn't obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 PM
VIP Member

I just bought a 2018 Ford F150 Supercrew. I intend to get a camper shell as soon as I can.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,836 Posts

SUVs are so limited for hauling large items if I have to load and go i am screwed with a Chevy SUV. What ever you get pay cash avoid a payment.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:34 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,678 Times in 2,865 Posts

WHILE I understand the allure of "going foreign and exotic"

If

you are looking long term with parts availability and simply the fact that anyone who wrenches on cars and trucks can work on domestics and find parts EVERYWHERE...

then

the LOGICAL choice is to go AMERICAN..(unless you are bugging out to Europe or the orient)

Sorry... but you break a frimzazzle on your Toyota do you really think you will find a replacement in a remote junkyard more than 50 miles from "civilization"?
OR even a junkyard in civilization, without some luck?

The ultimate inexpensive get away vehicle is a US made (that includes Mexico and Canada) pickup truck in 4X4 and a V8 block just because you never know when you might need a little more power than a 6 can give you. Put a cap on it and you can haul a bunch of people and stuff out of the weather to places where the roads run out and if you are a little careful you won't even need the road. I prefer GM products but that is because I have owned them all over my lifetime and found they just live longer
and
c'mon, lets face it,,, if you can't find chevy truck parts everywhere you certainly won't find that replacement gizflyntx you need to get your Mazda going again.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Prepared

The only good thing about an automatic trans is it's much easier to text and drive.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,431 Times in 577 Posts

Buy an older toyota pickup... the one with the 22R engine. Rebuild it. Drive it forever. Overengineered, not overpowered. If you just treat it semi-respectfully it might outlast you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,212 Times in 10,560 Posts

Vehicles like Subaru come with 3 types of transmitions. Manuals, Automatics, Continuous Variable Trans.
The CVT seems to be a problem in desert and mountain environments. Very short lifespan.

Today, every thing I own has a 5 sp manual (even my Subaru WRX). I might buy a car with an auto trans as I get older, but I prefer gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 07:52 AM
S.O.S.

I just want to know where you guys are finding these stick shift Taco's? According to Toyota they don't offer them. Asked a friend's dad who is a Toyota tech at a local dealership. Says he hasn't seen a manual transmission Tacoma since the X-runner and that was 15 years ago......
Old 04-29-2020, 07:56 AM
S.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
Buy an older toyota pickup... the one with the 22R engine. Rebuild it. Drive it forever. Overengineered, not overpowered. If you just treat it semi-respectfully it might outlast you.
Until you're killed in a relatively minor accident, and the person driving the newer Civic that T-boned you walks away.

In high school I bought, and drove as a winter beater, an '85 Celica. The 22RE isn't great. Gutless wonder, and it's definitely not "overengineered." I can only imagine that 120HP ancient thing trying to drive all 4 wheels in a heavier vehicle. The Celica topped out at jut under 90MPH. I'm sure it'll power a 4WD pick-up to 57 just fine
Old 04-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
I just want to know where you guys are finding these stick shift Taco's? According to Toyota they don't offer them. Asked a friend's dad who is a Toyota tech at a local dealership. Says he hasn't seen a manual transmission Tacoma since the X-runner and that was 15 years ago......
Goes to show you can't always trust the dealer.

My "local" Toyota dealer:

2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road - 6 speed manual:

Gray:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...c8797acb52.htm

Black:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...804de48a82.htm

Silver:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...45fb19caf7.htm

Used 2019:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4114/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2594/overview/

2017:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...deSearchRadius

Manual transmission Nissan Frontiers (w/ 4wd) are more difficult to find new or used. I found / test drove 1 - used last year but passed on it. Pretty much the only 1 available in Missouri.

2019 I believe is the last year of the manual Nissan Frontier.
2020 gets the new engine with old body style.
2021 gets the new body style - so goes the rumor.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 AM
S.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Goes to show you can't always trust the dealer.

My "local" Toyota dealer:

2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road - 6 speed manual:

Gray:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...c8797acb52.htm

Black:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...804de48a82.htm

Silver:
https://www.reliabletoyotamo.com/new...45fb19caf7.htm

Used 2019:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4114/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2594/overview/

2017:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...deSearchRadius

Manual transmission Nissan Frontiers are more difficult to find new or used. I found / test drove 1 - used last year but passed on it. Pretty much the only 1 available in Missouri.

2019 I believe is the last year of the manual Nissan Frontier.
2020 gets the new engine with old body style.
2021 gets the new body style - so goes the rumor.
Is it only the TRD off-road model with the manual trans? Sick trucks, but a stripper access cab with the 4 cylinder and 6 speed is more my type.

I suppose that is why I couldn't find one on Toyota's website. I kept trying to "build" a base and sport model lol
The Following User Says Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:36 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
Is it only the TRD off-road model with the manual trans? Sick trucks, but a stripper access cab with the 4 cylinder and 6 speed is more my type.

I suppose that is why I couldn't find one on Toyota's website. I kept trying to "build" a base and sport model lol
Lowest trim the manual is available in, is the V6 4WD - TRD Sport King Cab. Which is still about $36k!

At that Springfield dealer, the 4 door 4WD Sport costs more than the Off Road but doesn't have the locking rear differential. Which to me is odd.

A few years ago, I saw a 2018 or 2019 King Chevy Colorado 2wd with manual transmission. Talk about a rarity.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:56 AM
S.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Lowest trim the manual is available in, is the V6 4WD - TRD Sport King Cab. Which is still about $36k!

At that Springfield dealer, the 4 door 4WD Sport costs more than the Off Road but doesn't have the locking rear differential. Which to me is odd.

A few years ago, I saw a 2018 or 2019 King Chevy Colorado 2wd with manual transmission. Talk about a rarity.
Whole scenario is rather odd. I would've thought the lower model aka cheaper ones would have a standard manual trans still. I wouldn't be buying brand new, but honestly a 2017ish 2wd 4 cyl/6 speed access cab Taco would be my ideal daily driver.

I was intrigued, and happy to hear the news when the Ranger and Colorado's came back, but the interior on those things......geesh. Colorado's interior looked thrown together from all the left over Korean made Chevy Aveo plastic bits
The Following User Says Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post: