Advertise Here

Old 03-21-2020, 06:47 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,042 Times in 393 Posts

Advertise Here

Mini-vent.

Denial is deep.
Normalcy bias is the norm.
The Nothing Burgers are going to kill us all.

I've spent chunks of the past week getting my "No!" on. It's amazing how many people don't want to hear it. It's amazing the assumptions that are made and the mindless expectations that are imposed, or at least attempted. It's amazing how many people assume that they can convince other people to risk public exposure by simply expressing their opinion that this is a completely overblown, manufactured crisis.

Some appear to be put out because refusal to participate in totally voluntary social events and functions pulls the rug out from under their normalcy bias and disrupts their day. For others, it *hasn't even occurred to them* that *anyone* might be choosing not to participate. It's a weird version of "But it's always been this way! We always do this and this and this!"

I am literally surrounded by people who just don't get it.
They won't get it until people start dying in their own back yards.

The truly frustrating thing is that the vast majority of people who are getting their noses bent over this disruption are in the highest risk demographic: older people, most of whom have underlying health issues, some of whom are life long smokers. They are the very people who should be staying at home, and yet they are either still mindlessly (or semi-mindlessly, they know there is a problem but it doesn't apply to them) showing up for their social gatherings and expecting everyone else to do the same, or they are border line panic shaming others for self isolating.

Most seem to resent the intrusion of current events. Nobody's got time for this, Felicia.

I am no where near wanting to be proven right- I'd love it if we dodged this bullet but I don't think that's likely, given how many people are continuing right on with business as usual. Thanks for that, Nothing Burgers.

If by some miracle of statistics, or divine intervention, or supernatural phenomenon, we are passed over, the Nothing Burgers will be crowing to high heaven that they were right and anyone who self-isolated is a paranoid fool.

That's an annoying prospect, but per above, I can't bring myself to hope that they are proven wrong, for their sake as well as my own.

Vent over.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Pack View Post
Well seeing that 90% of the population is evidently in the Walmart TP aisle at any given time now, I'd say pretty damn good chances.
LOL, you, Sir, win the internets for the day.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
My mother in law is in assisted living with what up until now has been mild dementia in Taylor Manner, Jacksonville, FL. One of the residents is now hospitalized with C19 and they fear it's probably spread to others there. I last saw her 2 months ago and we had a nice visit, she was doing very well, lucid and happy to be with us. My wife and I cried last night, realizing that that was the last time we will get to see her alive. She got sick last week and was in the ER for just a night. Now she's suddenly mentally "gone". It's really a horrible feeling to be so helpless.
I am so sorry- our prayers are with you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,425 Times in 6,215 Posts

I want to believe the hysteria in a way but am so distrustful of any news organization and/or politician.
Both entities will do anything to control us peasants and forward their agenda.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,633 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
I want to believe the hysteria in a way but am so distrustful of any news organization and/or politician.
Both entities will do anything to control us peasants and forward their agenda.
So stop looking to them for your answers and trust your own gut and eyes.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,622 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Its getting real....

https://streamable.com/ezfos
Pretty sure this is a joke as attested by the half-eaten doughnut in the fella's hand. Kinda funny actually.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Target Shooter

A people willing to sacrifice security for safety deserve neither and will lose both.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hogdog76 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,586 Times in 779 Posts

I went out to Tractor Supply today to get feed for my chickens. It looked like a normal day out. It looks like most people are not taking this seriously. I got my feed and gas and went home. I washed my hands well and then went about getting the chickens squared away for another week.

My wife wants us to not leave the house if at all possible. She is a neonatal nurse practitioner at a major children's hospital. She told me to take this seriously and avoid contact with others as much as possible. She pretty much has to go to work, but she rarely gets sick and washes her hands obsessively.

I can put some of my work on hold for a while, but I do not like the idea of doing so. I have been putting the garden together and watching all the fruit trees bloom. The children have still been doing online classes, but it is not as intense or busy as going out to classes.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to da_wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 11:18 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,490 Times in 9,820 Posts

My husband is happy as a clam in all this, lying in bed, I feed him, he's got his vodka (stores are still open and he gets it delivered), cats, doesn't have to work (no inventory to be had).

That makes it a lot easier for me. I got all my stuff back (sorry I am really shutting up about it) so I have craft stuff and organizing, cleaning, in addition to home care and internet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,068 Times in 13,581 Posts
Default On making your own masks

Bottom line, Tee shirt material and pillow cases.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/

50% effective compared to surgical mask at 97%.

YMMV because the effectiveness of masks is all over the place depending on which opinions/tests you read.

Better than nothing, but not a magic bullet.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...uenza_Pandemic
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,639 Times in 13,954 Posts

Not exactly a rant, but a reminder of the good...
Once again, I feel incredibly lucky to live in my neighborhood. Last night the next door neighbor and I started a conversation over the fence and before too long we were joined by 1/2 dz others at the end of the drive, all keeping their distance. Hubby brought out some beers and we got a briefing on the state of the street. Looks like everyone here is doing good. 3 med people all still going to work, one city bus driver who is nervous, one laid-off fry cook who just got a job at Walmart, and all the elders have been checked on and are doing well. I would say 75% of us are self-isolating.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,121 Times in 4,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
you don't know if you are going to die, or your husband. I think that "only" old and sick die is a myth, younger healthy people die also. Your husband might not get sick at all, all that alcohol might kill the virus before it gets in his lungs. I am not kidding either. I totally believe alcohol kills at least some disease. When we used to travel, especially questionable places to pick up various germs like Mexico or India, I would just have a shot of some high proof alcohol after every meal. I never once got sick. I used to get sick all the time flying. Once I started having shots of vodka on the plane, I never got sick again. Maybe it's in my head and luck, but it worked for me....

( yes, I now have a shot of vodka every time we go out to shop, after we get back, just in case, husband too and no we are not alcoholics, we never have more than 2 shots)

So don't worry, we could all die in a vehicle accident tomorrow, or have a stroke, or the ****ing asteroid might fall on top of us
it isnt a myth, the rate is just extremely low. Under 35, the rate is like .02% of known cases, so even lower if you factor in everyone that was infected but didnt get sick so didnt even get tested.

No one is saying young people dont die, just that the elderly death rate is as high as 15%.

Obesity and lack of fitness probably is a huge comorbidity factor. So a lot of people in america are going to be at risk just from that. 40% of people in the US are obese.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
I think it's possible to avoid the virus by isolating yourself. It will likely kill me if I get it (I'm 50+, with chronic lung problems; no one's going to waste a ventilator on me) so I have to try. We have enough supplies for six months as long as the utilities stay on. My hope is the infections taper off around the end of summer and we can resupply before a second wave hits in the winter.

My housemate is a math/science teacher and has arranged to tutor her usual students online (the schools are all closed). She might even pick up more work as parents look to supplement homeschooling. The only reason she leaves the house now is to walk the dogs.

Having said that, I'm not doing a very good job of isolating. Some items I ordered online two freaking months ago are still getting delayed (I'm looking at YOU, Amazon and Walmart). That's driving me nuts because we can't have anything delivered to the house and I have to pick things up either at the stores, post office, or Amazon lockers. That was a lot less risky eight weeks back.

I thought today was going to be the last day I had to go out (except for prescriptions, and I can get those at a drive-through pharmacy). I was going to hit Walmart for a pickup, Target for a return, UPS for a return drop-off, and Costco to fill our last gas can. Since I was going into Walmart and Target all suited up I was going to buy whatever groceries I could get in each, too.

I just checked online and one of our orders was delayed again. I try to combine trips and there's no way in heck I'm going out on a weekend so now I have to try and reconfigure all the pickups again. Grrrr.
you need to be more creative dont just throw your hands up if you cant get critical supplies.

People in your community who have lost their jobs can pickup supplies for you. You can find them on social media.

Many delivery services exist right now (taskrabbit, favor, uber etc)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
Honestly, my primary fears respecting the pandemic is not the Corona Virus, but the potential destruction of the American economy. Italy's economy was on the rocks before this began as was Spain's economy. With the fiscal impact of the pandemic on those two nations alone, the fiscal stability of the entire EU could be endangered. Likewise, China's economy was showing definite signs of weakness prior to the virus impacting Wuhan and there can be little doubt but that China's loss in manufacturing (both short term and potentially long term) will put a serious bite into their GDP. With the world as interconnected financially as it is, a financial virus called economic collapse could genuinely occur.

Then there's the USA. We already borrow 40 cents of every dollar the federal government spends. Now we're shutting down incomes and increasing spending by more than a trillion dollars with the bill now before congress. Meanwhile the fed lowered interest rates near zero again in the hope of encouraging business to borrow more "free" money. If, as some predict, Trump declares a national lock down of non-essential businesses, a whole lot of people are going to go broke! Moreover, if it is true that unemployment claims are going to explode in the next few weeks, what happens when there isn't enough money to pay all those unemployed people?

All-in-all, looks potentially to be pretty darn scary.
You never have to worry about the US having enough money. We can print money for all our obligations. The threat then becomes inflation which is a threat you can reasonably prepare for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Just saw on TV...4 out of 11 of a family in NJ died of the virus and the rest are not over it either.
the interesting thing is the article says they had no underlying risk factors - but they are all obviously obese..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,425 Times in 6,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
So stop looking to them for your answers and trust your own gut and eyes.

As of yesterday, my eyes see 65 flu deaths in CT so far and 2 from China virus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Not exactly a rant, but a reminder of the good...
Once again, I feel incredibly lucky to live in my neighborhood. Last night the next door neighbor and I started a conversation over the fence and before too long we were joined by 1/2 dz others at the end of the drive, all keeping their distance. Hubby brought out some beers and we got a briefing on the state of the street. Looks like everyone here is doing good. 3 med people all still going to work, one city bus driver who is nervous, one laid-off fry cook who just got a job at Walmart, and all the elders have been checked on and are doing well. I would say 75% of us are self-isolating.
my neighborhood is also doing well and coming together. It was built in the 60s/70s and so still has a lot of people who are 70s plus. It is starting to turn over so a lot of young families.

People have volunteered to deliver for seniors, are buying dinner for all the stock people in the neighborhood grocery stores, people are collecting books for children staying at home, publishing home schooling materials. Most recently they have been collecting (and sewing) masks and other PPE for medical professionals that cant get any.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,077 Times in 5,050 Posts

It looks like Weird Al nailed this virus 20 years ago. I love the line about just give me some Lysol and a moist towelette.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 02:19 PM
A blindman in a minefield

In Italy the .gov told the people to self isolate and stop going out unless emergency two weeks back..Italians being Italians were joking on social media about it and were going to coffees etc. Now Italy is THE worst hit country in Europe. Spanish people have the same mentality, mine as well(the balkans) people as of yesterday were on the beaches since it is relatively warm going out "just with family and friends" so I can expect the same **** here as well.

Early January I found out about the virus(at the time in China) where everyone was ignoring it completely. My wife's family was condescending about it when I shared the info...and now the rant

I ****ing hate those people who act all knowing and condescend to others if it does not conform to their opinion and when something bad happens they easily turn the page acting like they were all about it from day 1...I am not a vindictive man but ffs..yeah.. /rant

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-21-2020 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: do not bypass the language filter
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lohi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 8,146 Times in 2,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
Pretty sure this is a joke as attested by the half-eaten doughnut in the fella's hand. Kinda funny actually.
Pretty sure it was obvious that it was....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post: