Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2020, 07:27 AM

Advertise Here

I went shopping yesterday and looked in the carts of others to see if anyone was stocking up. I noticed two people who had lots of canned meats, cases of canned vege's, etc. One lady had a huge pile of the freeze dried camping food by Mountain House. She must have wiped out what was on the shelf in Walmart.
My son always laughs at me for being well stocked and ready well, he came over asking where to buy masks. He said all the hardware stores, pharmacies, and big box stores are out of every type of mask. When I went to tractor supply I asked the clerk if people have been purchasing more than normal and she said some but not too bad. TS had one P95 respirator so I snagged it along with the replacement filters for the son. He ain't laughing now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to compassrose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,607 Times in 3,397 Posts

This thread and the various member food prep reports makes me think of a lengthy coronavirus thread on another active forum (firearms related). It was started on 1/22/20.

About 2 + weeks ago, people (who were following this virus) were getting ready for it to continue to spread (and hit here).

One poster commented about how (at that time), he was out doing normal errands, but also purchasing additional stocks of food, PPE, and other emergency and storage needs.

He mentioned how, as he was going about doing this, in a very normal manner, that he observed people, going about their day, and it was obvious that they were clueless over this.

How they seemed to have no care in the world, were completely oblivious to the likelihood that this could be a majorly destructive virus, with life-changing impact on all of society (at all levels of life) ..... how so many, had no concept, that this could potentially be "it".
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NHCraigT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:29 AM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

I am hearing a lot of 'I'll go shopping Saturday'. So - I'm going late tonight, then possibly early SUnday to see what happens. Up here - the most we've ever really had to worry about is a serious snowstorm, so it should be interesting.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 07:39 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,966 Times in 2,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Why are y'all still going to the store?
Even if you have to work, why not minimize exposure?

I have felt the wife and I have been well stocked for the past three years. Three runs to Sam's Club the past three weeks have been mostly with the thought that we might end up with Son, DIL and 3 grand babies.... and another daughter, if this all goes nasty south.

So your point is well taken.... we should already be avoiding public gathering places. But we also have to manage our risk. My wife is an educational administrator and until there is a local case, she will have to continue to go to work and be around a lot of teenagers. I believe a local case will cause school districts to suspend for a week or two while testing and a containment effort is exercised. I do know that school districts in our state are putting together plans for school closures for 14 days, one month and the rest of the year.

But back on topic... with some rationing and supplemental wild game meat, we had 18 months of food for 2. With the same approach, we now have about 12 months for 5 adults and three children.

Another son that lives in another state, made his first Costco run yesterday and purchased $600 of rice, beans, canned chicken, pasta, etc... and that will give him enough calories for his family for about 6 months.

Better late than never!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,289 Times in 347 Posts

Yesterday I bought two more bags of my dogs' food. They were the last ones on the shelf. Don't forget preps for pups!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 08:03 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP1776 View Post
Food is still on the shelves....Masks are long gone.

Funny part is the N95 mask only blocks .3 microns and viruses are .1 micron so they can still pass through if they are araesolized
I've seen a lot of people saying this but I think this is a bit of a simplification. I think most viruses sneezed or coughed out would be traveling with other much larger particles of gunk, and the filters are multiple layers, the chances of a virus cleaning passing through the gaps in each layer are not super likely. It is my understanding that any filter media if used for too long can allow stuff to start working it's way through, replacement filters for p100 respirators are about $15 at the local big box store, for just one set. That's twice the cost of pair of n95 disposable masks. Somehow i feel like frequently swapping masks would be superior to having one $50 mask you are walking around with, unless you are made of money and have plenty of filter replacements.

The main advantages of the n95 compared to surgical masks is not just the particulate size, but that it is fitted to your face, and with n95 respirators the little valve also decreases the likelihood of air flowing around the mask.

I know most people are skeptical of the cdc and government in general, but they are saying n95 for direct contact with infected patients, but they have strict procedures for changing of the masks. Somehow I think if all you are doing is trying to pass through a grocery store, n95 is more than enough. Unfortunately i couldn't find any n95 mask, so i have fitted dust masks. I can't say I am happy about it, but something is better than nothing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hzuiel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 AM

I had to run to Dollar Tree last night for some supplies for an upcoming school project. This particular store is usually well-stocked, but out of curiosity, I took a look around for certain items. They were completely out of surgical and dusk masks, nitrile gloves, and the small packs of Lysol/Clorox wipes. I also didn't see any water flavor packets or Red Baron frozen pizzas, lol. Bleach (especially the name brand) was low, but those were the only things I noticed.

There was an end-cap display of cold/flu items, including meds, tissues, hand sanitizer, cough drops and antibacterial hand wipes, and those items seemed plentiful. The store wasn't any busier than usual (actually, it was probably less busy than I normally see it). Of the people I did see, it didn't seem like anyone was stocking up on the usual type of supplies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheresaHPIR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,475 Times in 22,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colty045 View Post
Fresh Fruit and vegetables, meat, milk, and bread it’s nice to have fresh things.
Yes it is.

I have 7 flats of shelf stable milk stacked next to my bed for when my 2nd gal of fresh is used up, and a bread machine for when the sliced bread goes bad.

Fresh fruit is very nice, so I bought some very green pears, grapefruit, and apples which tend to keep for.months for when the berries are gone, the kiwi is eaten etc.

I'll miss carrots (oddly I have had bad luck with carrots) but I had a big salad the other day and probably by next week my micro greens will be giving me a couple bowls a week.
I put up enough carrots for some time.... (They last)

Look at what you eat "fresh" and see what keeps.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,372 Times in 3,588 Posts

My wife just picked up a big load of food last night. Shelves all still full around here. The panic still hasnt set in because there are no big quarantines or huge numbers of infected yet.Im going to pick up more rice and some ammo on the weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,560 Times in 7,092 Posts

Our local county health department is telling people to stock up on food and medicine. They've sent out several notices on Twitter today. If they keep doing it all day and tell reporters the same, the news will probably catch hold of it and put it in their stories. So more people will get out tomorrow to bulk up supplies and start the cycle.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Went to Meijer (SE Michigan) yesterday after work to pick up some everyday items and to add to our pantry (We have several self made mylar bag/5 gal buckets along with commercial freeze dried food already). It was a bit more crowded than normal for a weekday but not crazy. Everything was in stock but I did notice a few couples with lists in their hands and their carts contained "prepping" items such as water, canned food, cleaning supplies & vitamins. So some people are indeed prepping.

I plan on making 1 more trip to add to the toilet paper stash this weekend and ill report back if things have picked up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guito13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,289 Times in 347 Posts

I plan to get some paint today. If something happens and I get more time at home, there's some work I need to do. Besides, my 30% off coupon expires tomorrow.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,490 Times in 474 Posts

Ran into WalMart yesterday for a couple things. Looked around to see what was low. Paper towels, toilet paper and ziplock bags were very low. There were 0 bottles of regular blue Dawn dish detergent. Other brands were low. Canned goods were shockingly low and tuna was almost completely gone. Beans and rice were fine. (WTF)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,560 Times in 7,092 Posts

I still don't understand purchasing water from a store. I've purchased water containers from a store, but not water. Water cost $0.01/gallon out of my faucets. I have no need to buy water that came out of the tap in another city where the bottling plant is located.

I guess not living in Flint, MI has it's perks. But even there, I would buy and fill bulk containers rather than individual 12 oz bottles or gallon jugs.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,425 Times in 4,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Yes it is.

I have 7 flats of shelf stable milk stacked next to my bed for when my 2nd gal of fresh is used up,.
Our milk goats are due in 2 -3 weeks, I hope they only have one kid each...

We stopped by a Kroger yesterday to get a can of pumpkin for one of our dogs that seems to have an upset stomach, probably ate a dead thing or something.

I saw my first person with a mask on, old lady, and she had a whole cart full of cans and toilet paper.
That was about it. Didn't see any empty shelves there or anyone else stocking up.
Drove by the Walmart parking lot, and saw way more cars than usual for a Thursday afternoon. Didn't go in since we don't need anything
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,304 Times in 273 Posts

I know one thing, once something happens that they will clean out the stores in two days, some times less...get it now or forever hold my peace. So far it is good to get almost anything. Tomorrow,... it could all be gone. So I am thinking hard.

I know people are saying too early....but no way would I sit in my car half day just to get into the store which is what always happens. And this time if it happens,... it would look worst then Black Friday with people stealing, fighting plus major crowds spreading a virus?....nope get stuff now and then I do not have to shop again for a year or longer no matter what happens...no lost.

Stores here are unusually low, low crowds lately...which is a major plus..weird although.
Wondering is this the calm before the storm?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,776 Times in 13,992 Posts

For those of you not finding mask at the big name stores...Hubby stopped at our local mom and pop lumberyard yesterday for some flower bed edging for me. They were fully stocked on masks. He bought an extra box.

To the person who asked me why go out at all? It was answered in the thread by another person. We will continue to have fresh things until we can't. And you are right - hell I could have it right now - you could too. But I am not going to panic over maybe. Otherwise why bother prepping at all?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Wichita, KS, here. Costco, Dillons (Kroger), and Walmarts are all fully stocked in foods. Masks are sold out at our local Lowe's.
Costco now has the door checkers wipe down your cart handles, when you walk in. Bleach and other cleaners are placed in easier views, now. No panic has set in here, yet, as to my knowledge, we have zero cases.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wondering For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 73,475 Times in 22,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Our milk goats are due in 2 -3 weeks, I hope they only have one kid each...
If I was more than one person....
It's hard (especially with injuries) taking care of animals daily.

Amusingly, I have raw milk avalable in the area. for anything but this my supply would not be interrupted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post

To the person who asked me why go out at all? It was answered in the thread by another person. We will continue to have fresh things until we can't. And you are right - hell I could have it right now - you could too. But I am not going to panic over maybe. Otherwise why bother prepping at all?
With documented 27 day asymptomatic carriers:

When is "can't"?

please understand:

I'm not trying to talk you into taking my (very NOT "panicked" ) choice of action. (Especially you liberals)
I'm just wondering if y'all have picked a "point" and if so, what it is?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,501 Times in 827 Posts

We are ready for about 6 months of staying at home. Only one of my meds can go about 6 weeks. Going to the doc next week for check up. I'll ask him for a paper perscription and get a few more weeks of meds. He is ex-military, so he should understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dixie_Dude For This Useful Post: