Popularity of AK-47 - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any POSITIVE reviews on the Century Arms RAS47? gregdavidson Military Weapons Forum 103 05-05-2018 05:54 PM
AK 47 magazines wasniper Firearms General Discussion 25 01-23-2018 06:17 PM
Romanian AK 47 Unfinished Lower Handguard Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 06-01-2017 09:20 AM
Bulgarian Steel AK 47 30rd Magazine **NEW** (7.62x39) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-22-2016 07:50 AM

Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Master Rationalizer

Thanked 4,436 Times in 1,252 Posts

Advertise Here

Years ago, (spanning into decades--sheesh!) I hated AR platforms primarily because I really didn't like the M16-A2's I had to deal with, and the AR's at the time were not really anything to brag about. I bought a Mak-90 for about $300 and didn't look back. Currently, I don't own an AR (though really wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if the price and situation were right), still have the Mak-90 and wouldn't part with it EVER, and was astonished to see one in worse shape than mine recently with a price tag of $900, and was completely blown away that they were fetching $1200+ during Obummer's 2nd term. I could build 2 AR's of good quality for that!

But I love my Mak. It does everything I ask it to do and never, EVER complains. It eats almost an exclusive diet of hand-cast or swagged bullets that I handload, and it's scary-accurate, contrary to the AK myths.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CORangefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,340 Times in 4,602 Posts

I would say the market is shifting more to ARs over the past decade. I would say it's likely 3:1 AR to AK. Import restrictions forced price increases and some crappy builds have hurt AK popularity in the past decade or so. Still, I think there is as very large, silent number of AK owners and users.

I'm just comfortable with the AR platform as I've been using it for the past 30+years and pretty intimate with the design and ergonomics. That said, I own a few AKs and derivatives:

A quality AK is reliable and combat-accurate (some, like my Arsenal are extremely accurate). They're pretty simple and quite functional. I like the Ford verse Chevy analogy as I've run across a number of gun guys and it's pretty split down the middle on AR vs. AK. I just like being prepared to fit in either crowd

ROCK6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I would say the market is shifting more to ARs over the past decade. I would say it's likely 3:1 AR to AK. Import restrictions forced price increases and some crappy builds have hurt AK popularity in the past decade or so. Still, I think there is as very large, silent number of AK owners and users.

I'm just comfortable with the AR platform as I've been using it for the past 30+years and pretty intimate with the design and ergonomics. That said, I own a few AKs and derivatives:

A quality AK is reliable and combat-accurate (some, like my Arsenal are extremely accurate). They're pretty simple and quite functional. I like the Ford verse Chevy analogy as I've run across a number of gun guys and it's pretty split down the middle on AR vs. AK. I just like being prepared to fit in either crowd

ROCK6

Very nice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christopher67 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Maybe it's the result of being a Cold War child, but the AK will remain the gun of our enemies, the bad guys.

Visions of terrorists in the Middle East, Africa, South America, pretty much everywhere from the nightly news, that banana magazine is a target indicator. "Bad guy".
Gun is a gun... It goes bang.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,782 Times in 1,948 Posts

Ak gets good marks for simplicity and reliability, but not for accuracy. If you want to actually hit anything beyond 300 metres you are better off with an AR platform. But if you want to equip illiterate conscripts who will not maintain their weapons then the AK will continue working.

US M4 produces same radial standard deviation at 500 yards that AK does at 300.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Ak gets good marks for simplicity and reliability, but not for accuracy. If you want to actually hit anything beyond 300 metres you are better off with an AR platform. But if you want to equip illiterate conscripts who will not maintain their weapons then the AK will continue working.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christopher67 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Hunter

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christopher67 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 38,593 Times in 9,394 Posts

My ak74 with 3x9x57 has no trouble with 600.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,358 Times in 4,009 Posts

Quote:

Since I'm just equipping myself and my family I'm not too worried about illiterate conscripts. lol

My AKs are dead accurate at 50 to 100 yards with iron sights. Beyond that I have no idea, because I've never fired them at farther distances. I'm a realist and know that I probably couldn't hit anything at 200 - 300 yards with ANY rifle with just iron sights. (I know there are plenty here who can, but I'm not one of them. I need a scope! lol)

In a SHTF situation I don't expect to be shooting at targets farther out than a football field, so my AKs are sufficient. In a SHTF scenario if I'm hunting or sniping at enemy targets at 400-500 yards I have a Mosin sniper with bent bolt. I removed the Soviet scope and replaced it with a good deer hunting scope. That would be my "go to" long range rifle. My AKs are for closer confrontations as they were meant to be, i.e. home invasion, defending the area of the immediate property.

In any case, an AR would be just as good and my choice is subjective based on my own preferences (ugh, the AR is just one ugly rifle! LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 38,593 Times in 9,394 Posts

Quote:
If you want to actually hit anything beyond 300 metres you are better off with an AR platform.
No offense to you, outpost.

That reminds me of a post I read on another forum. The poster said...”AK’s are so inaccurate, I’d get out and dance in front of it at 100 yards”. AK “inaccuracies” are just part of Internet myth and people without actual experience continue to spread it around as if it’s firsthand experience.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,590 Times in 5,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post

That reminds me of a post I read on another forum. The poster said...”AK’s are so inaccurate, I’d get out and dance in front of it at 100 yards”. AK “inaccuracies” are just part of Internet myth and people without actual experience continue to spread it around as if it’s firsthand experience.
Yup, if ya can't shoot blame the firearm not the shooter...LOL
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,849 Times in 3,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post

+1

If Mr. Kersey and I had a nickel for every time we heard/read some bull**** about AKs being inaccurate, we'd both be very wealthy. I can easily hit modest-sized steel plates at 100-200 yards with iron sights on my x39s. And I can hold my own with the AR crowd quite nicely.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,509 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quite right! I think the old combloc surplus AKs that flooded the market had poor quality control issues, but were extremely rugged and reliable. I had a Romanian, beautiful but with a poorly seated barrel. My Arsenal that it's sale during the Obama re-election scare in 08 financed was highly accurate, but excellent quality control. That one eventually financed two M&P 15s so everyone had an AR for weekend shooting on the family land. Ammo just got pricey to buy and harder to get. The Arsenal was an awesome hawg gun.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,857 Times in 9,450 Posts

Please stop the internet myth that AKs are not accurate.

They are plenty accurate, even with low-quality decades old surplus ammo. For example, I have an old beater WASR that can reliably ring the 200 yard 12-18" gong with iron sites and decades old surplus ammo from a seated supported position. Not sure what the exact MOA is, but keep in mind this wasn't made for target shooting, and the iron sites are not precision sites. And the ammo was not loaded to tight tolerances...

A tack driver it's not, but if someone put some effort into it, and used premium ammo, and a bench rest, you'd be looking at some impressive accuracy...

I've experienced similar with other AK platforms that I own.

Now, in real world applications, I doubt I'll ever need to fire my personal weapon in self defense. If I ever do, it'll 99% surely be within 50 feet. There's perhaps a 1% chance I'll need to take a shot out to 100 yards. I'd venture there's about a less than 1% chance I'll ever need to take a 101+ yard shot with my AK for self defense. If I have to take a long shot, I've got better tools.

The AK is accurate enough. More importantly, it's extremely rugged and reliable.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

its too bad 74s and 5.45 arent more popular than they are, i understand 5.56 will always be more popular, as it should be given its commonality this side of the pond, but its just a shame that overshadows 5.45 as much as it does which in my opinion is a better cartridge in every category outside of domestic availability
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,152 Times in 4,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
How popular is the Ak-47 amongst semi-auto fans in the US? Large following, insignficant alongside Ar-15 ?
Extremely popular. Easy to strip, clean and maintain as well as cheap ammo. Plus nice beefy intermediate caliber round .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoplite59 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,473 Times in 22,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
its too bad 74s and 5.45 arent more popular than they are, i understand 5.56 will always be more popular, as it should be given its commonality this side of the pond, but its just a shame that overshadows 5.45 as much as it does which in my opinion is a better cartridge in every category outside of domestic availability
5.45 is MORE common than 5.56 around here.

Stack it deep. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,967 Times in 8,898 Posts

Personally while I respect the AK I don't want one at all, probably because for the last 29 years I have been training with and using the AR15/M-whatever series rifles and carbines. So I stick with what I know.

I see a lot of AK's around but for me it has no appeal, almost everyone that has tried to kill me over the years was carrying an AK, it is the weapon of my enemies.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:41 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,847 Times in 8,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
Personally while I respect the AK I don't want one at all, probably because for the last 29 years I have been training with and using the AR15/M-whatever series rifles and carbines. So I stick with what I know.

I see a lot of AK's around but for me it has no appeal, almost everyone that has tried to kill me over the years was carrying an AK, it is the weapon of my enemies.
ive heard some people say post shtf they'll treat anyone with an AK like they would any terrorist.. as retarded as it may sound there are actually those who think that way
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,926 Times in 4,386 Posts

I think ARs are definitely getting more popular due to all the reasons given, especially their price has dropped and the difference in ammo price isn't as huge as it use to be. The days of cheap combloc imports is definitely over.

Some despise the AK because it is the "bad guy" gun but anybody honest has to admit it is effective and bad ass looking. Hell for me being the bad guy gun has some appeal. Just one ruthless piece of steel. In contrast the mattel looking AR never got me excited. NOTHING is as bad ass looking as my tricked out Saiga 12 with a drum. I've had a kid or two ask me if it was real because it looks like something out of a video game.

My favorite combloc is VZ58, outclasses the AK in all ways IMO.

I too think the inaccurate dis is more about the ammo quality and variety in builds than anything inherent in the rifle.

Thinking about trading one of my AK for an AR though just because no gun nut should not have at least one if you are in the US. To OP either AR or AK would be a good go to gun but I would take into account which would be more prevalent and accepted in your particular area. The back and forth this is better than that is a theological debate more so that about the merits of each weapon. I do think 7.62 x 39 has more mass and stopping power.

One big advantage for the AR (boxer primer ) is you can generally reload the cartridge where as most AK cartridge is berdan one shot primer. You can replace the berdan with a boxer primer but it is a major pain in the ass so not done much.
The Following User Says Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post: