Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,321 Times in 558 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Mindset, not volume.
Don't worry. I have the mindset. I have been looking for something like this for a long time. And I expect phase 2 like others have mentioned. And if there is another shut down and stay at home order that puts people out of work again I am betting there will be some pushback and just maybe some real rioting and protest. This not working for a couple of months has put a lot of folks in a real financial bind. One they won't be out of by this fall. Too many people are living paycheck to paycheck these days with no money reserves at all.

And after thinking about it I probably have closer to 6 months worth of food on hand. Thankfully I have been reducing the amount of meat I eat. Most of the beef products I eat are mixed in with other foods like soup or Fajitas. I almost never buy any steaks just to have a big piece of meat on my plate. I eat far more chicken than beef.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,647 Times in 2,160 Posts

I spoke too soon yesterday. One of my wife's friends tipped her off that one of the stores we shop at was having a 2 or 3 day? don't remember for sure meat sale. It was only advertised on FB and not in their regular online ad. Don't know what all was on the ad but what my wife bought was priced the same as last year.

B/S chicken breasts $.99/lb, bacon (off brand) $1.99/1lb pack, pork spare ribs $1.69/lb. I'm having ribs tomorrow! She passed on 80% burger at $3.99/lb. There was a list of other stuff that was on sale that I don't remember just that like the burger the prices were good for now, but wouldn't have been a sale worth going to 6mo ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:17 AM

05.26.2020: Meijers, Jewel-Osco (2 stores); Sam's; HyVee; Krogers. Central IL:

TP (mostly), water, & paper towels back in stock at our Sam's Club. Also applies to most of our grocery chain stores. Not perfect, but close.
Wet Ones (wipes) - not in stock.
Hand Sanitizer - Back in stock.
Ground Beef (80/20 & 85/15) - getting back in stock (medium), but EXPENSIVE.
Pork - Limited (at best).
Powdered lowfat milk - Back in stock in most stores.
Dairy - Pretty much back to normal.
Eggs - Back in stock.

Few product sales as part of weekly ads. If supplies of TP & paper towels keep growing, there's going to start to be some sales.

There are still holes on shelves in places, but it's coming back to normal.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,772 Times in 4,120 Posts

I think a lot of the shortages of meat some folks see is possibly the time of the day they go shopping.
That is what I notice. If I wait too late in the day..... little selection
If I go earlier....Plenty
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
I think a lot of the shortages of meat some folks see is possibly the time of the day they go shopping.
That is what I notice. If I wait too late in the day..... little selection
If I go earlier....Plenty
Thats actually a good point. If I buy meat I will try to go early in the day. I like the meat sold at HEB. They will grind the steak that is getting close to the expiration date into hamburger and have it on sale. But it sells quickly. You have to be there early to get it and its lean and better than most regular burger meat. I have about 8 pounds of it in the freezer now.

One other thing is that so many people are now so tied in to WM that they hardly ever consider any other stores. When I couldn't find chicken breast or chicken wings at WM the Aldi right down the street had full shelves and no limits.

We have a Super Kroger here now too. Its been open for a couple of years but I never went in it. So a week ago I made my first trip there. They had several things in stock that WM hasn't had in a long time. And the prices were good. But some things were priced way high. It really pays to know on average what other stores are selling products for. And where I am at its all clustered together so going from one store to the next is just a short drive down the street.

I do 90% of the grocery shopping so have an idea of what the cost is on the stuff we normally buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,558 Times in 825 Posts

I have been going to a Hispanic grocery store since this all started. I never saw empty shelves becids the TP...they only had the big rolls like at the truck stops. I have been buying chicken, beef, pork, rice, beans, canned goods, eggs, milk and butter every time I go. I grocery shop every 2 weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,490 Times in 9,820 Posts

Jack, I had the opposite experience; the Kroger was very picked over and the Walmart pretty stocked. The Krogers around here are not well managed and icky to shop anyway. At least in my area.

Joe V's was the biggest surprise (HEB spinoff) fully stocked even 20 pound sacks of rice for $8, lots of fresh and frozen meat (at least when I went about a month ago), etc. Good prices too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:48 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,763 Times in 858 Posts

I went inside a grocery store for the first time yesterday in the nearest small town. Very few masks and no distancing. I took one look down the bread/dairy aisle and turned away. No shortages that I noticed.

Today I rode along when my dad went to do some maintenance on another property. Driving through a larger town saw a lot of masks on people going in and out of stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,364 Times in 863 Posts

We just welcomed back home one of our children whose physical university is closed for the remainder of the year, and has completed the government mandated quarantine upon re-entry. We also welcomed my wife's father to stay with us, he's in his 90s, his wife has ended up in care, and he can't really manage on his own. Another son will head back home in a couple of weeks because his job is finished (read vanished) and he needs somewhere cheaper to stay while looking. These have been helpful reminders to (re)consider whether my year's supply for two people + anticipating occasional visitors, is still enough; of course it is not, and also age and gender specific preparations especially for medication for the elderly are required. Right now, while re-supply is relatively good, is the time to spend on both extra bulk and needed niche supplies.

In other helpful-for-me news, while winter is here, additional effort in the last two years with insulating the elderly house has seen us stay in a nice warm living room every evening burning only 10-12 chunks of wood between 5:30 and 11:00 pm. that's with a room at a pretty toasty 21 (70 Fahrenheit).
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:13 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,772 Times in 4,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Thats actually a good point. If I buy meat I will try to go early in the day. I like the meat sold at HEB. They will grind the steak that is getting close to the expiration date into hamburger and have it on sale. But it sells quickly. You have to be there early to get it and its lean and better than most regular burger meat. I have about 8 pounds of it in the freezer now.

One other thing is that so many people are now so tied in to WM that they hardly ever consider any other stores. When I couldn't find chicken breast or chicken wings at WM the Aldi right down the street had full shelves and no limits.

We have a Super Kroger here now too. Its been open for a couple of years but I never went in it. So a week ago I made my first trip there. They had several things in stock that WM hasn't had in a long time. And the prices were good. But some things were priced way high. It really pays to know on average what other stores are selling products for. And where I am at its all clustered together so going from one store to the next is just a short drive down the street.

I do 90% of the grocery shopping so have an idea of what the cost is on the stuff we normally buy.
Very true.... I like going to local stores. Good selection. Walmart meat ...not so much selection
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,091 Times in 3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
I don't think I qualify as a prepper. I don't have a years supply of food on hand. I have 2-3 months worth at best.
you absolutely qualify as a prepper.

tons of sheeple out there with maybe three days food in the fridge.
some don't cook at all, eat everything out or maybe donut for breakfast.

you don't have to have the hermetically sealed vault with laser security devices (still working on mine).

keep going and keep us posted.

plenty of beef in stock today but all much pricier than a month ago.
some (fresh) sausage not available.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
We just welcomed back home one of our children whose physical university is closed for the remainder of the year, and has completed the government mandated quarantine upon re-entry. We also welcomed my wife's father to stay with us, he's in his 90s, his wife has ended up in care, and he can't really manage on his own. Another son will head back home in a couple of weeks because his job is finished (read vanished) and he needs somewhere cheaper to stay while looking. These have been helpful reminders to (re)consider whether my year's supply for two people + anticipating occasional visitors, is still enough; of course it is not
Totally agree with this! We had family join us this past weekend to celebrate a family member's milestone birthday-there ended up being 10 of us. I was shocked at how much food we went through! It was also a helpful reminder to consider storing some foods that the two of us normally don't eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickensittin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 PM
I Dig the Dirt

Salt Lake Valley, Kroger affiliate...

"Sales" flyer is still only a couple pages. London Broil, didn't say it was a sales price but was featured, $6.99#. My buy price is $2.99#. Husband uses it to make jerky so it's way out of our price league. "Sale" price of Petite Sirloin Steaks (never have figured out exactly what they are but they're tough to eat so I only use them for stir fry) was $3.99. My buy price but absolutely none to be had. As I was searching for them I noticed prices on other cuts. WAY up. Smaller packages of roasts and steaks were pushing $30.

Frozen whole turkey breasts were .99# so I grabbed one of those. Have a little room left in one of the deep freezers so might grab another one or two this weekend. I rarely walk away from any meat that's .99 or less.

Deli that had just opened a few weeks ago now has about 1/3 blocked off with signage. Zero Boar's Head beef of any kind. Only various chicken and turkey cuts. Only beef to be had was store brand Pastrami and Corned Beef. Bought 1# Pastrami and it was over $10. Only about $1 more per pound than usual. Told husband that might be it for any deli beef sandwiches for a while. I often cook small roasts for his beef sandwiches but prices on all of it seem to be getting out of reach.

Didn't check the pre-packaged lunch meat section.

A glance down the pasta aisle was still lean but better than it had been in previous weeks.

Didn't check canned goods of any kind.

We're not ice cream eaters but I saw the post in the recipe section about Ice Cream Bread and thought it would be a fun experiment. Ice cream section completely picked over. Only a few flavors and brands here and there. Ended up with Pistachio something or other.

Quick walk through of dairy aisle and nothing caught my eye so I guess it was stocked. Got a large tub of yogurt. I think it was Nomad who said he purchased a year's worth of yogurt?? Need to find that post and inquire about it.

A quick glance in the first aid section I saw peroxide but zero alcohol. Costco had both a couple weeks ago, 1 per customer, so I got 1 of each just to pad storage.

Still zero disinfecting cleaners like wipes and kitchen cleaners. Didn't check bleach.

They had some cloth masks and off-brand hand sanitizer in a center aisle bin. Didn't check price on those.

A note on Germ-X hand sanitizer. Costco had large bottles a couple weeks ago when I was there. Got one and brought it home. Since I date everything for rotation purposes I noticed the date on this newer bottle was shorter than the large bottles I bought back in February. I checked the label. They've reduced the alcohol content by 1%. I don't remember the total alcohol content off hand but if memory serves it was still in the higher percentage rate, just not as strong as the older bottles and I guess that's why the shorter longevity rate. Sneaky!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustAPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,994 Times in 22,535 Posts

Not a years worth, more like half a year.

I've noticed, completely without regulating it I seem to eat 4-6 of those little yogurt cups a month.

I bought a bunch back in Feb, and have 3 left (ate one this morning.)

So one of the hanging baskets in my freezer is half full of yogurt. (I did not freeze the one I ate this morning) but I have been cleaning out the fruit in my freezer and canning it to make room for this year's crop, so since I had room and have froze them before....

(I picked up some beef roasts this winter @ $0.99/lb and made about 25lbs dry weight of jerky. Very glad I did so as it with a bit of fruit makes a pretty regular hot weather snack or lunch for me.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:40 PM
Trapper

Quote:
"Sales" flyer is still only a couple pages.
My wife said something about that a couple of weeks ago. We either don't get as many sales flyers or they are reduced to a small sample of their former selves. I told her most likely than can't advertise as much because they don't know what stock they will have when the flyer makes it through the mail or they just flat don't have enough stock to have a sale to start with.

But at least around here it seems the shelves are getting better stocked. I guess some have gone back to work and don't have time to shop or they have spent themselves into debt so far they just can't buy anymore food right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:24 PM
Hunter

Have done a search and maybe my search terms were wrong - would appreciate any advice. The pork lard and beef dripping on sale locally both say store at or below 4 degrees C (40F) but also say an expiry date later this year - and not much later. I'd have assumed at that close to freezing they would keep a lot longer. Am I missing something - and if I freeze them (we have room) would they last a year? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Survivor

Frozen they should last longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 01:35 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Frozen they should last longer.
Thank you. I'm going to date-mark them for a year, frozen.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 AM
Survivor

Zeke can help you be more specific, but MORE than a year IIRC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 04:07 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,275 Times in 6,425 Posts

We did our monthly shopping today. Not that we where out of anything but we didn't want to be a month down on preps and we always get more than we used so it was another way to build things up.

Noticed A LOT of meat at costco....all at high prices, and limit of three....probably why there was a lot there.

Everything else seemed normal.

Everyone was wearing masks of course...nobody but us and the employees wearing gloves.

Kinda makes me understand the 'masks are useless' crowd a little better.

The way most people where mask is indeed useless. That doesn't mean they have to be useless, it just means most people don't really understand any of this and are just doing what they are told.

I saw a new product Carrington brand Ghee. It almost seemed like a sign.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: