To everyone. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Advertise Here

I was new here almost 10 years ago now. This board was my first introduction to 'survival.' I never felt that people on here were nasty to me in any way. Over the years I've become more of a lurker than a poster. I love this forum and I've always felt very welcome here, and I really hope the OP has helped anyone who might be feeling any negativity to put things in perspective.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SelfSustainingFamily For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,699 Times in 2,163 Posts

Bump for those who may have missed it
Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,222 Times in 512 Posts

I have loved this forum since 2011. I used to see an argument between posters every now and then, but it never got out of hand.
Now, it seems that vile name calling and derogatory remarks about women is the "new normal".
I'm so grateful to the ones who helped me learn how to be a "prepper" without calling me a "troll". (Yes, I have been called that for asking questions.)
The ones I really looked up to and thought were so intelligent, well, I guess you could say they burst my bubble.
I don't ask questions anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunnibeez For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 08:34 AM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 4,006 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnibeez View Post
I have loved this forum since 2011. I used to see an argument between posters every now and then, but it never got out of hand.
Now, it seems that vile name calling and derogatory remarks about women is the "new normal".
I'm so grateful to the ones who helped me learn how to be a "prepper" without calling me a "troll". (Yes, I have been called that for asking questions.)
The ones I really looked up to and thought were so intelligent, well, I guess you could say they burst my bubble.
Asking a question on this or any other forum is like walking into a crowd at a hockey game and asking your question. You still need to weed out the dumbass's and those that want to seem more important or knowledgeable than they are.

Ask your questions. If you need to, start using the "IGNORE" feature and take the insulting, knuckle dragging, adolescent ass holes out of the equation. Theres still a lot of knowledge here that's willing to help those that ask.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Prepared

I try to be polite and helpful when I can. No reason to start out as a jerk. There is also the ignore if you find that certain people just sit badly with you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rlm1966 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,699 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
THAT (among other things) is the reason for the "report" feature, name calling needs to be reported so we're aware of it .
Old 05-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,222 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
THAT (among other things) is the reason for the "report" feature, name calling needs to be reported so we're aware of it .

Thanks Aceoky. It never dawned on me to report anyone.
Even if it's in the Darkside section?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunnibeez For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,447 Times in 6,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
Looking at it from a conspiratorial theory viewpoint, it's probable that many of those disagreeable personalities may be here to insure toxicity within the debates thereby souring the discussion for those here that actually want to teach or learn.
They are trying to ruin the forum for knowledgeable posters like Jerry who will then throw up their hands and leave rather than try to engage with those who don't really want to engage in any substantive manner.
You could be on to something , RM , Agent provocateurs ? It's been done before through out human history.
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 12:27 AM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 5,210 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Aceoky. It never dawned on me to report anyone.
Even if it's in the Darkside section?
Darkside has a slightly different set of rules but there are still limits.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cannonfoddertfc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 05:20 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,772 Times in 4,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Are long term members here who only post in those sections helping the new members with advice? Can anyone provide advice to others about politics or religion? Do those members really belong here? Apart from increasing the forum traffic, what value do they add?
Please tell us how much value you add... how many helpful threads have you started and shared? Zero But the same people that you accuse of not adding value...have started and supported numerous helpful survival threads

There are a lot of members here who don't agree with the idea of survivalism (or prepping) and argue against any preparations for serious emergencies. Many of them joined years ago, but have never contributed positively to a survivalism discussion. As Jerry alluded to, they are negative about whether prepping should occur at all.
I joined up over 6 years ago..interested in survival...but was never a prepper. I don’t think I have ever posted in the religion section. I am not interested in it. I don’t feel my views are negative about prepping. Even though you and others have called me Antiprepper. I’m just a non prepper. But you have to admit I have contributed more to helping others on here than you have. But for some reason....I’m the AntiPrepper?

At the moment, they are aggressively arguing that the US should never have shutdown to control the COVID-19 virus. They are most recently pushing for an end to the lockdown right now. They are numerous enough now to swamp all the threads in the Coronavirus subforum with their view.
So because someone wants our country to have a good economy...that’s a bad thing? Or wanting small businesses to have the right to stay in business? How about those of us speaking out about the over reach of Governors? Who gets to decide if your job is essential or not? Are you allowed to feed your family or not? .... these are things I think everyone should be concerned about...especially preppers

Some of those posts have accused long term survivalist members of being selfish old men hiding in bunkers who don't care about the damage being done to the economy.in some ways it’s true... there are some people here who fall into the risk category for Covid who instead of sheltering themselves and protecting themselves...simply want to destroy the whole country

I think most of the long term survivalist members here are more concerned about members who are fundamentally opposed to survivalism (and willfully disrupt any serious discussions about survivalism) - most of whom have been here for years just hanging out in the politics/religion sections (until recently).
No...you find those with different opinions than yours to be a threat
I know after reading your post that I am one of the people you were talking about
You actively seek out my posts and try to personally attack me. As you have discovered it doesn’t bother me
Maybe you should try to contribute as much useful information to this forum as those do that you accuse of fundamentally opposed.
You should clean up your own house before you worry about others

Please tell us how much value you add... how many helpful threads have you started and shared? Zero But the same people that you accuse of not adding value...have started and supported numerous helpful survival threads

Last edited by cannonfoddertfc; 05-30-2020 at 09:57 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Hiker

I am glad this post has been written. The same thing happened to me when I first started reading this forum. I did not join for a while, just read posts. Then when I did join it did not take long for the ugly comments to start. Just trying to learn things and how the forum works and then you get slammed by people who think you should know everything all at once. I don't get on here as much as I did because I don't like to see the criticism that is spewed out. You search post and don't find what you are looking for and then asked a question and you get slammed for not knowing.

Anyways, good morning to all.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 AM
Ingloriously Deplorable

Thanked 7,042 Times in 2,073 Posts

This site has been an excellent resource. There is too much to learn to sweat the small stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 07:37 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,573 Times in 426 Posts

I’ve been a member since Ebola and there have been toxic folks on here ever since I started. They spew hate. Constantly inserting politics. I disappear for years at time. Glad to hear Jerry is ok. I need a list.

Thanks OP for bringing this topic to the table. Not sure why a none prepper hangs around. Bickering has derailed many a well worth topic.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,817 Times in 5,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShawn View Post

No one forces you to argue
For a good number of hyper-posting regulars that is exactly what they come here for. The few antagonists like Jojo, Pottery, and William Ashley have a field day leading people into endless arguments and derailments because people just can't pass it up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,594 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
For a good number of hyper-posting regulars that is exactly what they come here for. The few antagonists like Jojo, Pottery, and William Ashley have a field day leading people into endless arguments and derailments because people just can't pass it up.
Guilty here. Way to make me feel like a tool.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:28 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,392 Times in 8,074 Posts
Smile CAW!

Quote:
2 out of those 3 are britts.......just saying

I like to troll, just a little.........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:40 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,392 Times in 8,074 Posts
Talking CAW!

Quote:
by the by, you sea I subbed to your utube channel?
The Following User Says Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,348 Times in 1,308 Posts

I'd like to have an M2 and a few belts but there's no one to shoot out here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 11:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,945 Posts

MTShawn,
Your "Ten months" thread is one I have sent on to a number of people since you posted it originally.

Real life experience like that without the "you must have this or you will die" lists makes it easier for newbies, and the old hands to understand.

All of us have experienced power outages, maybe being unemployed, and bad weather. If you are prepared for these to start, you're a lot closer to prepared than the guy with a pound of jerky, an AK and 10000 rounds of ammo.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post: