Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bow fishing vs traditional fishing... tropicheat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 10-07-2014 07:19 PM
Cleaning perch LadyGun55 Boating and Fishing 6 01-15-2014 08:18 PM
Took my kids perch fishing kev Boating and Fishing 8 04-10-2013 01:16 AM
DIY Fishing Trap to Replace Fishing YoYo Arsenul Boating and Fishing 4 03-17-2013 06:46 PM
Best material for chicken coop perch kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 04-10-2012 07:16 PM
See what half a Perch will get you? J.McDonald Knives Boating and Fishing 17 07-05-2010 02:39 PM
Perch Traps kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 09-17-2008 11:58 AM
fishing pack for day hike fishing campingenthusiast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 06-05-2008 03:21 PM

Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,645 Times in 8,178 Posts
Default perch fishing

Advertise Here

man oh man, its time to go fishing. I usually take my kids to some creeks around here, but we might go over to the local state park and do some fishing there. My 13 year old son, Korey really likes fishing, he can take a persch off the hook like a pro.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
A friend of the Site

That is one of the greatest gift you can give your child. Exposing them to the outdoors.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Hunter/Farmer

Thanked 1,835 Times in 799 Posts

I'm chomping at the bit right now, waiting for the surf temp to get to 75.:D
I mainly saltwater fish, but a couple of weeks ago I walked to the San Bernard river armed with a spinning rod and a few beetle spins and had a blast catching and releasing bluegills and spotted bass.
The river is just a sandy clear creek up here, but where ever a tree falls in, deep pools form,.....that's where the fish are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0713.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	118   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0717.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	119  
The Following User Says Thank You to Reality Czech For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 1

I used to fish with an asian friend who weighed about 80 pounds. We would go to some small back water along a big river and toss our bait in. My friend had super fast reflexes and would pull in dozens of small perch in an afternoon. I would catch 2 or 3 fish. Perch are not concidered game fish here so size was not a factor. We would grill those small fish and baste em with asian spices and such when we got home, of course the entire family would show-up so there was always a big pot of rice and veggies etc. It was a great experience and the fish were always good. Asians never let anything go to waste, food and family is the center of thier lives and they celebrate any good fortune they have in a communal way, they always share thier personal bounty and it makes them happy to do so. Thats my perch story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,566 Times in 741 Posts

Took my youngest son (9) fishing yesterday. We tried some different lures & weren't getting any hits. As I worked my way around the pond there were a ton of grasshoppers jumping out of the way. I caught one & threw it out into the pond. It was instantly gobbled up. So I switched both out poles over to just a hook with a grasshopper on it. (you really need an open face reel that can cast that light amount of weight) At the end of the day we caught over 20 large mouth bass & over 30 perch. Nothing that was particularly large. We only ate the ones that swallowed the hook & I actually put most of them in a cooler & released them in a newer pond that needed to be stocked near our house.

Last edited by Micah525; 09-24-2007 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,470 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
That is one of the greatest gift you can give your child. Exposing them to the outdoors.
I agree eeyore, its one of the best ways to gen up interest in the out doors to a child, and they are usually hooked for a life time. It makes for some unforgettable memories and pics too. Besides while Im not a kid anymore...I sure enjoy going down to the marina and hooking a gazillion of them and cookin em up for dinner. Makes for a fun day and some great eats too!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:41 AM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,906 Posts

I used to go fishing with my dad when I was younger,I loved it!!!!!!

But I felt bad for the fish really.......... I agree being outside amoung nature really helps our spirit and all........... I remember once my grandfather came with me and my dad and we hiked up a mountain! -- That was fun as well
Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,192 Times in 10,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
man oh man, its time to go fishing. I usually take my kids to some creeks around here, but we might go over to the local state park and do some fishing there. My 13 year old son, Korey really likes fishing, he can take a persch off the hook like a pro.
The big question is ave you tought your son to fillet a Perch (or Walleye) with two quick slices.
Mmmmm, Shore Lunch.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,470 Times in 2,520 Posts

Not too many more things in life more fun than a little perch jerkin'. Its even better when they are saucer sized and not just hand sized. Regardless the action is usually fast and furious. Its a lot of fun on my Ultra-Light spinning rig or fly rod.

I keep a deeply stocked Plano 3700 tackle box specifically for these guys!!!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,426 Times in 864 Posts

Grandkids and I have been catching lots of bluegill and redear. They have been pretty good size. Trying to talk my wife into cooking some but no luck so far.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:55 PM
Midwest Born

brings back memories....caught perch and bluegill in the fishing holes on the farm with a cane pole. fun times
Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 20,454 Times in 6,526 Posts

Old 06-12-2020, 12:06 AM
Target Shooter

Perch are great! I’m out in the Western Australian desert and we get creeks that are either only holding water if it rains or if spring fed, and it’s amazing how you can be in the middle of nowhere and find perch swimming - they can leave eggs dormant for years

I’ve caught them in a bait trap net and use them in the backyard for aquaponic gardening, they’re perfect for it - Spangled perch can live in just about any water, fresh, brackish, high/low pH and easy around temperature

What’s really fun is being in the desert with a fly rod lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post