Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power back-up systems / Communications / Electronics in general... TheElectronicsGuy DIY - Do It Yourself 216 05-03-2020 06:44 AM
Helpful tips for solar new guys - post your tips here budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 231 01-10-2020 12:06 PM
What sized generator to run a well pump? Aerindel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 06-28-2018 01:20 PM
HAM radio off grid power geneinnc Communications 27 12-15-2017 05:31 PM
Hurricane Sandy A.A.R. Center Mass Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-07-2017 03:18 PM

Old 10-29-2018, 11:14 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 5,697 Times in 2,148 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco141 View Post
as far as harbor freight is concerned, always try out your purchases when you get home soon as possible , our store here also offers the warranty. i bought a hydraulic lift table recently , the manager says it is for 30 bucks the warranty is good for 15 months , if you bring it back within the 15 month period you get an exchange, and just buy the warranty. they will replace your item no questions asked. in fact he recommended that i mark my calendar and do a return in 15 months and get a new one.

i have had good luck with them but they are hit and miss so try out your purchases and exchange .

alex
I did buy the HF warranty plan, and so I could have exchanged the malfunctioning HF generator for a new one - but I'd come to the realization that my decision to buy a generator from HF had been a bad idea. I'd been attracted to the low price, and I'd made the decision quickly. I'd been under a bit of pressure because I'd had an immediate need for a generator more powerful than my Yamaha 2000W generator (needed to run several power tools at the same time). But as I've said, I should have just bought the Yamaha in the first place. The malfunctioning HF generator cost me a lot of time and inconvenience, not to mention an additional $200 (because the HF people refused to grant a full refund).
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,707 Times in 10,730 Posts

As a follow on Re: Harbor Freight Product support. There is none. They can not supply parts nor do they stand behind their 90 day Warranty. All they offer is to send it back and they may send a replacement if you pay shipping both ways. Having got a form email response was rather annoying. Do not buy anything expensive/heavy from them online! Or in my case I will never buy from them again.

Edit: Someone at HF must have relented or actually read my complaint. They sent me another email that explained that they are sending me a pre-paid return label by mail for shipping the saw back via Fed-EX for replacement. Hopefully the replacement saw will not have the same issue.

Last edited by MattB4; 10-30-2018 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: New information.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 PM
MyPrepperLife

I will never buy from HF again either.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 AM
Target Shooter

I have been looking at generators online until my eyes hurt online lol....

The main reason I mentioned the Honda is the fact that it has the propane conversion kit available. I also have 5 dealers withing 30 min drive. Originally I did want the Yamaha 2000 but I only have one authorized dealer about 45 min away. But there is a good chance I want need any service as these two company's make very reliable products.

I have been looking a small Generac/Craftsman at my local big box hardware store for about half cost. Never any trouble returning products to the big blue or orange stores.

There is a small 2000 watt propane generator made by Duromax which would be the easiest since I really want it set up on propane. Not sure the quality or reliability of that brand either though.

Propane is less efficient than gas but it is more of just a time factor for me. Fill up a 200lb tank and would last me half the summer. No more stopping to fill up multiple gas cans for my big troy built gas guzzler. Spilling gas trying to not make a mess....ect.

Although, have either fuel is an option, propane prices do fluctuate greatly in NY. I have paid under 2$ a gallon to 6$ last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 05:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,558 Times in 825 Posts

If you have a 200lb propane tank propane is the eay to go. Prety much every generator sold in stores today has a propane kit available some where online. As far as the duromax there prety much re branded HF generators...cheap chinese product.

Have you checke the used market for a generator? Alot of people hardly ever put hours on them so finding a low hour unit can be easy. How ever used eu2000 and the yamaha version are grosly over priced. Personaly i would never buy a generator without both of the following.
A oil filter
A hour meter..
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM
MyPrepperLife

tonyT, are you confident you can maintain a generator and repair it if it misbehaves? If so, it probably makes sense for you to buy an inexpensive brand that is not backed up by a dealership close to you - provided, of course, you've made sure you'll be able to get parts for the generator if repair is needed.

If any of those things is not true, you'd be better off buying a brand-name generator like Honda or Yamaha, IMHO.

Also - have you confirmed that your well pump will run off a 2000W generator? (Based on the specs you provided, it appears there would be no problem.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
Personaly i would never buy a generator without both of the following.
A oil filter
A hour meter..
A fuel gauge is very nice to have, too - though of course not absolutely necessary. (Not sure if/how a fuel gauge would work with propane, though???)

And you should definitely get a generator with the low-oil-shutoff feature, IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Target Shooter

*Brettny* The best part is the previous owner had it setup to get refilled by a propane delivery company. I just transferred the account over. Saves me even more time and hassle. I checked the used market but honestly if I am only saving a hundred bucks or so then I would rather get brand new with warranty. I have never had much luck with anything used.

I also searched online couldn't find a conversion on the new Craftsman generators.

*Myprepperlife*

I could maintain and do some simple maintenance on it. I am by no means a mechanic. I can handle some stuff. Not sure if I would really want to spend the time doing it tho. It like home projects, I usually do them and do a nice job just takes me a lot longer than a professional who does it daily.

I would much rather buy a reliable product and do perform normal things like oil changes, spark plug ect.

I won't have the chance to test the well power until spring. I "winterized" everything already. We have a few nights in a row into the 20's back few weeks ago and I didn't want to risk anything freezing up.

I can't wait to test it. Hey, if a 2000 will handle it then I will save money by keeping the current well setup. Not to mention my troy built is super loud. I used a sound meter app not sure how accurate but hey why not? It was over 90db standing next to it. My cabin is about 60+ feet away and I can still hear it inside!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:10 AM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
...my troy built is super loud. I used a sound meter app not sure how accurate but hey why not? It was over 90db standing next to it. My cabin is about 60+ feet away and I can still hear it inside!
Yes, that's another nice thing about the high-end inverter generators - they are pretty quiet. (Maybe the less-expensive inverter generators are pretty quiet, too. IDK.) When I'm using my 2000W Yamaha generator, I put it just outside my back door - literally about 12 inches from the back wall of my house. Sometimes when I have guests here at the house, they don't even realize I'm running a generator until the toilet gets flushed a couple times - when that happens, the generator gets louder for 30 seconds or so because the pressure gauge on my pressure tank invokes a process that instructs the well pump to provide water.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Hunter

Make a generator shed for any generator you get. 60ft with the right shed facing aeay from the house you should hardly hear even a 3600rpm screamer.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:50 AM
Target Shooter

Oh its in a shed.... 6x8. I do leave doors open tho so it can vent and get some fresh air.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Target Shooter

I would just get a 275 gallon water tote off creags list for 50 bucks .
Use a park model 120volt sure flow pump with 75 gallon pressure tank .
Use the pump and genarator you have until they need to be replaced .
Just pump water in to the tank .
I would buy a out back or magnum inverter charger 24v 1500/2000 watts and 4 golf cart battery’s from sams club .
Try to find some sun for solar panels .
My water comes off my roof , I have 16 gcbatterys and 4500 watts of solar
I just run my genarator if the solar panels are covered with snow.
I like the champion line of generators I have a 4750 watt unit with a few thousand hours of use , i pulled the cord off last week and I change the oil with Mobil 1 systhedic every 50 hours .
Honda is making a open frame inverter genarator 2800watts for 900 bucks that looks real good . But I could have 3 champions for that money .
I have a tote in the garage and last year it froze at Christmas .
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 AM
Hunter

In this situation theres no need for a water holding tank. The water is only 17ft deep. So adding a second pump you would just get the water 17ft closer to the point of use and double the complexity of the system.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Target Shooter

Grundfos makes a complete line of soft starting pumps that have very little in starting surge.

Here is a link to their produce web page for wells less than 25' deep.
https://product-selection.grundfos.c...sizetype=quick

I put in 4 gpm minimum flow and 40' of head when using their search engine for these results.

They also make deep well pumps with little starting surge.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,704 Times in 793 Posts

Sounds like a standard pump that I've bought from W.W. Grainger several times. It's about as simple as you can get. Two wires are used to power the main winding and the other runs through a cap to run the start winding. You DO NOT want to use a soft start for this kind of motor. When the pressure switch starts the pump the start winding draws about twenty amps for less than a second to start the motor. After the rotor starts turning the start winding drops out and it draws less than ten amps though the main winding. That's why your lights flicker when the pump kicks on. The water that's getting pumped also cools the motor, so you don't want to run one if the well level drops below the pump. You don't need an expensive inverter generator to run the pump, and any generator that can supply 20amps at 110volts should run the pump fine.
One thing to check if you're having starting problems is the start capacitor. If it degrades the pump might not start as quickly as it should. If it fails the pump could burn out. A problem I had with one pump I replaced was that the water had lots of minerals, and they were attracted by the pump's strong magnetic field and over time they stuck to the case and froze the rotor, which blew the start cap and caused the supply CB to pop. If your water has lots of minerals and the pump's only seventeen feet below the surface, you might consider pulling it out and doing an inspection. Check the start cap by checking for expansion. If it is swelling it should be replaced.
If I were running one of these pumps off of a generator, there's no reason to power the generator unless you are using water. If you are using an electric water heater, remember to keep it full of water so when it turns on the elements won't burn out.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:42 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,702 Posts

Just for info I have found the submersible pumps here cheaper than anybody else. https://www.pumpproducts.com/well-pumps-c-347_562.html. I am currently looking to upgrade my grundfos 1 hp to a 1.5 hp for my irrigation well. My well guy told me grundfos handle sand better than other pumps. Make sure you get enough hp and gpm flow. My old pump was a grundfos but couldn't hardly read the tag. Went with the 1 instead of the 1.5 hp. Close but not quite enough. The bright side is when I change it out I will have a barely used 1 hp spare for the house. Down side is it's $900.....
Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 PM

Default well pump

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to post and get some opinions and hopefully some electrical help for my current setup.

I purchased a cabin recently and it has a dug well. Previous owner said he believes it is around 17ft deep. Anyhow... it has a submersible 4" Franklin Electric Model 244504 pump installed. Tech specs are:
.5 hp
115 V
Amp-10
S.F Amp-12
Code-R
PH-1

So I contacted the company and they get me a engineer but long story short they don't have the starting watts, they go by "Locked rotor amps" witch is about 64 Amps!!! If I figure that out they are saying 7,360 watts to start this pump potentially...?The pump is wired to a 15amp 120v breaker so I don't understand how it could draw up to that much to start and not trip.

Anyway it works fine BUT the issue is currently there is a older Troy Built generator that powers the cabin. 6,000 running and 8,000 peak. Now when the pump kicks on sometimes the lights flicker for a second which makes me think no joke that pump needs A LOT of startup juice. I have only had the cabin for a few months but what I want to do is downgrade to a small Honda 2200 generator for the cabin. The troy built guzzles about 6 gallons in 24 hrs
Side note- all appliances run off propane. So on the generator besides well pump I could have every light on LED and draw about 80 watts, a small 32" lcd tv and a dvd player is about all I normally run for electric. Trying to reduce that gas consumption by at least 50%.

Do I just need to get a different well pump or do you think there is no way it really draws that much power for a .5 HP pump. I have been looking online and average is 1800-2000 estimated start up for a .5hp pump.

what does everyone thing? New pump and generator or the little honda 2200 will handle it.
You have an »in the well pump» and the well is only 17 feet I think you said. You could go to a different style of pump. Depending on your requirements for the water you need. You could use a pump that has a pressure rating of 60 psi and requires no pressure tank, they run low amperes and are 120 AC. I had one here last summer pumping water from my well into ur pond that dried up due to a really dry summer. It ran day after day never heated up and put out a constant pressure. It was bought at Princess Auto.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
Sounds like a standard pump that I've bought from W.W. Grainger several times. ....
Grainger? Great ref site but HUGE rip on pricing. Pay over sugg retail.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,149 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to post and get some opinions and hopefully some electrical help for my current setup.

I purchased a cabin recently and it has a dug well. Previous owner said he believes it is around 17ft deep. Anyhow... it has a submersible 4" Franklin Electric Model 244504 pump installed. T....
Is this a well or a cistern? Either way a surface source. Would hope you've had the water tested as notorious for being contaminated.

Unusually that would have a submersible well, a jet would be more common such an installation. Might check if a 1/2 shallow well jet would have lower starting current. Pump would be about $250