Being followed (vehicle) - Page 9 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 211 06-19-2019 09:57 PM
In your vehicle El Roberto Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 09-22-2016 09:06 PM
Bug out vehicle? Here's your bug out vehicle! Pictures and link. Pangea Vehicles & Transportation 13 01-17-2016 12:15 PM
My EMP bug out vehicle faceman Vehicles & Transportation 41 08-22-2015 10:52 PM
GHB in a hot vehicle Glenda Sue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-01-2014 01:08 AM
Bug Out Vehicle theunknownvariable Vehicles & Transportation 7 09-26-2014 06:56 AM
What vehicle do we want? twyggy Vehicles & Transportation 28 08-27-2014 12:40 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 10:02 PM
First Aid Kit in Hot Vehicle?? umc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-16-2011 02:05 PM
1st vehicle, what do I need? roof_top_eagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 04-14-2010 05:13 PM

Old 08-25-2019, 04:38 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,300 Times in 3,226 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Go talk to them. If you don't want to verbally engage them, just make sure they're looking at you and take pictures of them and their license plate. With that info, you can call the police and say you're being harassed; go down, make a statement and give them the evidence.

On another incident which happened a week ago, my son was driving home from his college apartment (about an hour and half away); mostly a rural highway. A car in front of him was driving pretty slow (10 miles below the speed limit), so he passed them at the first opportunity. The two (minority) males somehow took offense and tailgated him for a few miles almost to the point of hitting his car and flipping him the bird. Then they passed him, throwing empty cans at him, got in front and slowed down to about 25 mph (in a 55mph area). They were definitely trying to get into a confrontation. My son just turned onto another road, but they followed; even into a subdivision. He got back on the highway and they tailgated again...he was getting a little worried. He had his CCW on him, but wanted to avoid a serious confrontation. He was able to pass a couple of semi trucks and finally ditch them by turning down another road.

He had called me the last time he was able to turn down another road and let the two morons pass him by.

Good lessons learned and we did an AAR when he arrived at the house. I told him the first time they passed him throwing empty cans, and slowed way down, I would have called 911 and told them two drunks were throwing beer cans (or so he thought) and driving aggressively; give them the license plate number, description of the vehicle, current location and direction of travel, and stay on the line for them to track your GPS. It wouldn't hurt to say they were threatening him (gestures, tailgating, and throwing beer cans) and that he was armed and wanted to avoid any conflict or a serious accident but that he didn't feel safe pulling over. That will get a LEO on the scene pretty quick.

Road rage morons really make me want to get a big a$$ rear bumper on my truck for the aggressive tailgaters...

This is a good topic to discuss as it happens more often these days and vehicles can be pretty serious "weapons"...

ROCK6
Assuming you can call the cops and talk to them safely, sound advice.

Even though my phone is almost right in front of me when I'm driving, I don't try to fumble around on it answering calls, etc when actually moving.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,479 Times in 4,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post

Even though my phone is almost right in front of me when I'm driving, I don't try to fumble around on it answering calls, etc when actually moving.

Also, there are dead zones along that remote part of the road where there is no signal. We now have laws against using phones without hands-free devices, not much to worry about when you're actually trying to call the police

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Wisconsin you can open carry a pistol at 18.
Every state is different. You can own a handgun at 18 and carry it in your vehicle, but you can't carry it on your person in GA. There are exceptions, my son did Basic Training at 17, and was eligible to get his CCW license at 18. With your CCW, you can also open carry. Fortunately, he's also on a college campus that allows students to carry...the only downside is if a high school student is taking one of the resident classes for dual enrollment. The college will notify you which classes have those under-age kids which bars you from carrying. Stupid, but the law here and my son is a criminal justice major and in ROTC with scholarship, so he kind of has to obey the stupid laws to. For those classes he had last year, he had to just go with pepper spray and a knife. Now that he's in his major classes, no "minors" are in attendance.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 01:51 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,785 Times in 9,799 Posts

Back in the days before cell phones, I was given instruction to drive directly to the police station. I guess it would be in your best interest to know where they are...
Old 08-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,067 Posts

Sure, you didn't bring this on yourself at all - most people enjoy getting things thrown at them going 60-65 mph (with a direct hit to the wind shield no less). You seem to be playing some sort of victim here when you're a direct cause. Oh no, someone is to close for your comfort - please don't drive in any big cities where we live off each others bumpers from 6:30-9:30 AM and 4-8 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,300 Times in 3,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEPOE View Post
Sure, you didn't bring this on yourself at all - most people enjoy getting things thrown at them going 60-65 mph (with a direct hit to the wind shield no less). You seem to be playing some sort of victim here when you're a direct cause. Oh no, someone is to close for your comfort - please don't drive in any big cities where we live off each others bumpers from 6:30-9:30 AM and 4-8 PM.
That's only partially valid as an argument.

He threw something at someone who was harassing him. To me that's the equivalent of not throwing the first punch.

Just shrug it off and keep driving. Following someone because they threw something insignificant at your car, when you deserved it on top of everything, says you have anger issues.

Also, it sounds like you meet my criteria of a terrible driver. City traffic is no excuse for tailgating someone.

Let me find a meme that's appropriate for that kind of stupidity:

The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,476 Times in 6,070 Posts

Well call me crazy but throwing an object out the window that hits the tailgater......your only escalating an already potentially dangerous situation. I understand the anger and frustration and won't lie to you: I've done worse.

But there's better options. You can't control what others do. All you have control over is what YOU do.

Your first option of slowing down is the correct option. Regardless of what happens, if they hit you it's their fault. However, in my experience just slowing down is usually enough to get a tailgater to either back off or go just go around you.

Going slower is the safe bet. If they refuse to get off your butt at least by going slower any crash will be lessened by slower speeds.

Someone actually following you is something else. It's happened to me a few times as a truck driver. Those are scary because I'm usually hauling high dollar stuff.

Every time it's happened I maintain my speed and course and contact the police with my exact location, route, speed, vehicle description of both me and the folks obviously following me.

I've actually had cars come up alongside and deliberately try to force me over and stop. Again, I'm on the phone with law enforcement immediately. And I never pull over and I don't stop.

I'd advise you do the same. Never ever stop and get out. You have no idea if it's one car one guy, or several cars with several people. In a car you may take evasive action, me I'd just head for the nearest police station or trooper baracks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post

I have a blue parrot headset that I use both in my truck and in the car. I can make calls, sent texts, get Google map directions, control my music all by voice allowing both hands free for vehicle operation

I highly recommend these. That and a good dash cam. Many GPS you buy have dash cams built in.

In my truck I have multiple cameras running. Driving and parked.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Just some guy

Also I really like your safety space in front forged. That's key. By maintaining space you give yourself more options and more time in case something happens.

That includes hitting the gas and speeding up if the situation calls for it.

It's doable in a car but very difficult because you lack visibility. In my truck I gauge the flow of traffic miles in front of me. I don't look as specific vehicles but rather the over all flow. I have forward radar that gives me exact distances and speeds of objects in my line of travel. By looking far ahead and using the technology I keep my speed 2-4 mph slower than the flow. Which means traffic is always pulling away from me.

Then it's just the constant lane changers and the occasional slower vehicle to navigate around, or away from.

When I see clumps of cars all bumper to bumper I often slow down even more and let these people play stop and go. I'll maintain speed, slow it may be, space, it's easier on the nerves, and I'll often end up ahead in the long run. All while saving fuel, and NOT letting how idiots drive affect how I choose to drive.

You got it right bud.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Just some guy

Deleted double post.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:17 PM

Just drive to the nearest cop shop and drive around the same block until he leaves or the cops show up. Also call 911 if you think he is a threat.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,216 Times in 466 Posts

(I know this thread is ancient, but...) I was being tailgated on the M25 (busiest freeway in UK). The guy in front of me braked, and I followed suit. The guy behind me slammed into the back of my car. My car is a Land Rover Defender; I fixed the damage with a screwdriver and one fluid ounce of black paint. He needed a new headlight, hood and bumper. Too bad he didn't have airbags.

I also have bright (white) work lights mounted on the rear, angled to shine directly into the windshield of anyone who gets too close.

I can't have a .45 on the passenger seat, but then anyone tailgating is also extremely unlikely to have a firearm, which levels the playing field.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,912 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
...I can't have a .45 on the passenger seat, but then anyone tailgating is also extremely unlikely to have a firearm, which levels the playing field.
Skews the playing field far far far towards the do-bads.

Only the do-bads know when they’ll do-bad, and on whom they’ll do-bad to.

Pointy, sticky, stabby, jabby, slicey things are pretty bad.

Clubby clompy things are also bad.

Hopped up drunk druggy fisty kicky things are also bad.

Things which having the legal rite to defend oneself from are pretty handy over here.

Just having that option available to the average citizen over here seemingly cuts down on a lot of the absolutely brutal within reach violence you all have over there, and in about every other country which doesn’t allow it’s citizens to defend themselves with firearms from...AND lets the criminals continue to do bad.

Last edited by Camelfilter; 09-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Adding to the bad.