24 hours (maybe less) to prepare your home for a WROL situation--what do you do? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: out of Florida!
Posts: 5,834
Thanks: 4,127
Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,537 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post

We don't lock our doors when we leave home. We are so remote why have someone destroy a door if they are really intent on coming in... of course they also have to get by the receptionist... 145lb male Rotty who does not like unexpected company to disturb his nap time.
Same here! We have a German Shepherd
But we are home more often than gone, and if they see our house, they will probably realize there isn't much worth stealing in it
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:43 PM
kingsman kingsman is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 684
Thanks: 5
Thanked 765 Times in 298 Posts
Default

I tend to think big picture. I intend to fortify the entrance to my subdivision. this includes blocking the freeway ramps, blocking bridges, posting guards on overpasses...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kingsman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:01 AM
Aerindel's Avatar
Aerindel Aerindel is offline
Abnormality biased.
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nuevo Alamo
Posts: 5,404
Thanks: 6,452
Thanked 12,717 Times in 4,107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsman View Post
I tend to think big picture. I intend to fortify the entrance to my subdivision. this includes blocking the freeway ramps, blocking bridges, posting guards on overpasses...
I plan to close off the valley...but yeah, same idea.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 01:50 AM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,416
Thanks: 6,031
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,556 Posts
Default

For the most part, great thread.

Yes, some of the people in the 'burbs will be easy targets.

I don't plan on that happening to me. I have some local challenges but I also have those will also work to my advantage too. There are 4 police stations or HQ's within 5 miles of my house, there are 3 NG armories and 3 FD's less than a mile. I also have 2 freeways and 250 house in my immediate area.

I plan on making my house a very hard target until I can get out of my area. I have camera's, a 70lb pitbull and a house full of teenage kids who can all shoot.

First things are to lock and secure the house with what I can immediately. Boarding my windows will draw more attention than protect me. In other words, whoever chooses to enter will have to make noise!

Charge all devices and head to the basement where my video monitors are located. This allows me to see where the attacks are coming from.

Bring firearms from upstairs to the basement. Load all mag and bring ammo to a defendable location.

Lock and block our garage and driveway even if cars aren't working, we have enough resources to push them into place.

Bring important paperwork and other needed items to the basement to our defendable location. All these items are placed in a go-bag. Fill upstairs and main floor tubs with water and wash clothes we need to be washed.

When depending on the amount of unrest, probably early morning we will start getting bug out trailer to go to bug out location. Why don't we do this right away you ask? Due to our area, traffic is or will be horrible in this situation. We need the herd to thin first.

This is the best we can hope for. We will not go down without a fight. We will not be headed to "camps" to be safe and we will defend ourselves until we chose to head to less populated areas.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 AM
Sharkbait Sharkbait is offline
Not a Commie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 3,781
Thanked 1,740 Times in 769 Posts
Default

What do I do?
I send the old lady out for beer

WTF are you thinking?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: State of Jefferson XX
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 3,982
Thanked 1,912 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
For the most part, great thread.

Yes, some of the people in the 'burbs will be easy targets.

I don't plan on that happening to me. I have some local challenges but I also have those will also work to my advantage too. There are 4 police stations or HQ's within 5 miles of my house, there are 3 NG armories and 3 FD's less than a mile. I also have 2 freeways and 250 house in my immediate area.

I plan on making my house a very hard target until I can get out of my area. I have camera's, a 70lb pitbull and a house full of teenage kids who can all shoot.

First things are to lock and secure the house with what I can immediately. Boarding my windows will draw more attention than protect me. In other words, whoever chooses to enter will have to make noise!

Charge all devices and head to the basement where my video monitors are located. This allows me to see where the attacks are coming from.

Bring firearms from upstairs to the basement. Load all mag and bring ammo to a defendable location.

Lock and block our garage and driveway even if cars aren't working, we have enough resources to push them into place.

Bring important paperwork and other needed items to the basement to our defendable location. All these items are placed in a go-bag. Fill upstairs and main floor tubs with water and wash clothes we need to be washed.

When depending on the amount of unrest, probably early morning we will start getting bug out trailer to go to bug out location. Why don't we do this right away you ask? Due to our area, traffic is or will be horrible in this situation. We need the herd to thin first.

This is the best we can hope for. We will not go down without a fight. We will not be headed to "camps" to be safe and we will defend ourselves until we chose to head to less populated areas.
Some things to consider:

Why are your magazines not already charged? Or at least enough of them so as to not even consider doing such a thought?

Why are your important items not already in your basement, ready to go with minimal time & effort?

Sure, plans can & surely will go sideways. However anything you can do to reduce wasted time & effort, will be available time & effort (if needs be) for the unexpected.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:31 AM
slackercruster's Avatar
slackercruster slackercruster is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 1,573
Thanked 2,057 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Good to have precut plywood for openings that need it. Power may be off for cutting wood and you would have to go out to buy it. Nice if your power screwdriver was charged up as well.

Do you have HAM? I don't, but they have probably cut everything so no communication other than radio.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to slackercruster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Idaho Survivalist Idaho Survivalist is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 255
Thanked 1,453 Times in 678 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
WHAT Others would call "prepping"
Us rural folks just call planning for the next big weather event.
I would estimate that of the full time residents in my AO better than half have at least a small generator to keep things going until power restored. They aren't preppers, just prudent planners.

We don't lock our doors when we leave home. We are so remote why have someone destroy a door if they are really intent on coming in... of course they also have to get by the receptionist... 145lb male Rotty who does not like unexpected company to disturb his nap time.


I can see several homes to the west of me but they are across a canyon and I own my side to the bottom. And all those neighbors are well armed. I close my gate to the driveway only during hunting season, but I don't lock it. And I have a much younger neighbor, who's occupation is selling items at gun shows, and for 3-4 days a week he watches my road and will inform me of anyone on my road. I keep a medium-sized dog inside my shop/home but the part Rotty inform me of visitors. Seems friendly but after one friend got bit, I warn people not to pat him on the head. The dogs eyes are bad but not his ears or nose, for sure.

When people live in the country, they have to take care of problems all the time, whether having to dispose of a tree downed in a storm, or snow on the road deep enough that I have to use the bucket rather than the back tractor blade, or when someone leaves the water on with my roof collection system and the tanks go dry--I rely on the 500 gallons in barrels, or checking on the neighbor who move here a few years from the city, to see if his driveway is OK. It's just life!
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM
seawind seawind is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,363
Thanks: 7,575
Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default

I have not read all of the post so this might of been covered. The only way and the best way to "fortify" a home is to be able to throw out more lead than what is coming in. While I'm a better than average shot I'm no Rambo. Neither to I want to arm my kids and wife with the knowledge of bullets going out attract bullets coming in. By this I mean the whole point of prepping is to protect your love ones. The best way to do this is to "fort" up with like minded friends or family. Yes it may be crowded but we would rather have adult men and single women in harms way if need be. Wives and mothers are the second line of defense. Sorry a single family can not provide defense 24/7. If you find yourself and family where shooting is a real possibility its time to bug out. Unless you do have a group of friends or family to make a stand with. Even then bugging out might still be the wise thing to do. Never place yourself and family in a situation where you have no options.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Idaho Survivalist Idaho Survivalist is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 255
Thanked 1,453 Times in 678 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Good to have precut plywood for openings that need it. Power may be off for cutting wood and you would have to go out to buy it. Nice if your power screwdriver was charged up as well.

Do you have HAM? I don't, but they have probably cut everything so no communication other than radio.

People should probably be told that during an emergency, HAM radio licenses are not required, so people could buy inexpensive 2-meter radios on Amazon and use them during an emergency. I have a license but don't understand the technical part very well, but I just checked in to the "Noontime Net" on HF.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 12:48 PM
NW GUY's Avatar
NW GUY NW GUY is online now
Born 120 years too late.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 58
Thanked 3,550 Times in 916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
For the most part, great thread.

Yes, some of the people in the 'burbs will be easy targets.

I don't plan on that happening to me. I have some local challenges but I also have those will also work to my advantage too. There are 4 police stations or HQ's within 5 miles of my house, there are 3 NG armories and 3 FD's less than a mile. I also have 2 freeways and 250 house in my immediate area.

I plan on making my house a very hard target until I can get out of my area. I have camera's, a 70lb pitbull and a house full of teenage kids who can all shoot.

First things are to lock and secure the house with what I can immediately. Boarding my windows will draw more attention than protect me. In other words, whoever chooses to enter will have to make noise!

Charge all devices and head to the basement where my video monitors are located. This allows me to see where the attacks are coming from.

Bring firearms from upstairs to the basement. Load all mag and bring ammo to a defendable location.

Lock and block our garage and driveway even if cars aren't working, we have enough resources to push them into place.

Bring important paperwork and other needed items to the basement to our defendable location. All these items are placed in a go-bag. Fill upstairs and main floor tubs with water and wash clothes we need to be washed.

When depending on the amount of unrest, probably early morning we will start getting bug out trailer to go to bug out location. Why don't we do this right away you ask? Due to our area, traffic is or will be horrible in this situation. We need the herd to thin first.

This is the best we can hope for. We will not go down without a fight. We will not be headed to "camps" to be safe and we will defend ourselves until we chose to head to less populated areas.
HOPE YOU have another exit out of your hole in the ground.

Not trying to rain on your parade but you wouldn't be here if you didn't want feedback. By fortifying in the basement while you have secured yourself from the sides and bottom, you have also trapped yourself. You now have 2 enemies that can render you null and void, fire and water. Seriously, what if someone sets your house on fire, have you made preps to deal with that issue? And water... if you cannot remove water faster than someone can put it into your basement, you can be defeated with a garden hose.

Better yet, Someone knows you have STUFF and they want your STUFF... If someone closes all the heater vents in the house but the one they are pumping exhaust fumes, smoke, any noxious substance into your basement through the furnace what can you do about it?
ALSO
By going deep, any aggressive response on your part will require you to come up the stairs. Are you familiar with the "fatal funnel" concept? Ever see the fire scene in a FIST FULL OF DOLLARS? That could be you trying to break out.

Just saying going deep does not have a lot of options for a fall back position.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,416
Thanks: 6,031
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Some things to consider:

Why are your magazines not already charged? Or at least enough of them so as to not even consider doing such a thought?
We have several in that state both upstairs and downstairs. Not all of them are however.

Why are your important items not already in your basement, ready to go with minimal time & effort?
Sorta have to live life. Yes, most is down but we need to have access to our important papers, etc This is something to consider though.

Sure, plans can & surely will go sideways. However anything you can do to reduce wasted time & effort, will be available time & effort (if needs be) for the unexpected.
A quote works here, we are never as prepared as we are right now. I honestly don't know what I don't know. I just have to be adaptable when and if a situation arises. Hell, bubbging out might just be the best route to take immediately.

Answers in red above.

Thanks for the feedback and yes, this was welcomed information.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:47 PM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,416
Thanks: 6,031
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
HOPE YOU have another exit out of your hole in the ground.
Several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade but you wouldn't be here if you didn't want feedback. By fortifying in the basement while you have secured yourself from the sides and bottom, you have also trapped yourself. You now have 2 enemies that can render you null and void, fire and water. Seriously, what if someone sets your house on fire, have you made preps to deal with that issue? And water... if you cannot remove water faster than someone can put it into your basement, you can be defeated with a garden hose.
Preps to deal with the issue, yes. Can we still be trapped in, probably? Can water or fire harm us, very much so. The fact we have hundreds of other houses in the area work in our favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Better yet, Someone knows you have STUFF and they want your STUFF... If someone closes all the heater vents in the house but the one they are pumping exhaust fumes, smoke, any noxious substance into your basement through the furnace what can you do about it?
They have to know it first. We are talking about rioters and thugs not FBI agents. Heater vents operated downstairs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
By going deep, any aggressive response on your part will require you to come up the stairs. Are you familiar with the "fatal funnel" concept? Ever see the fire scene in a FIST FULL OF DOLLARS? That could be you trying to break out.

Just saying going deep does not have a lot of options for a fallback position.
Always planned on going up and down. Being in the basement at night keeps light discipline and keeps pop shots from hitting someone in bed sleeping. We also get to see the video feed (if working) and if they get at us, they have to also hit that fatal funnel.

There is NO 100% secure way to bug in, there are also many things that need to be improvised.

We will protect ourselves we will fight back, my biggest concern is to make our house and my family a hard target.

Thanks for the feedback, I need to look at these weakness and adjust.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 05:33 PM
NW GUY's Avatar
NW GUY NW GUY is online now
Born 120 years too late.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 58
Thanked 3,550 Times in 916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post


Always planned on going up and down. Being in the basement at night keeps light discipline and keeps pop shots from hitting someone in bed sleeping. We also get to see the video feed (if working) and if they get at us, they have to also hit that fatal funnel.

There is NO 100% secure way to bug in, there are also many things that need to be improvised.

We will protect ourselves we will fight back, my biggest concern is to make our house and my family a hard target.

Thanks for the feedback, I need to look at these weakness and adjust.
NOT REALLY...
UNLESS your floor is concrete a person with an ax or chainsaw can make a hole in your roof pretty quick and easy. You can shoot through the floor but no one says they will be coming down the stairs to get you...

Again not trying to dump on you just pointing out things that come to mind.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 05:59 PM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,416
Thanks: 6,031
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,556 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
NOT REALLY...
UNLESS your floor is concrete a person with an ax or chainsaw can make a hole in your roof pretty quick and easy. You can shoot through the floor but no one says they will be coming down the stairs to get you...

Again not trying to dump on you just pointing out things that come to mind.

Ok well, as I stated before. My job is to make my house a hard target, as hard a target as I can. The guy with the ax or chainsaw better have IIIA best on or he'll eat a bunch of rounds while cutting through the floor.

However the 15 other houses on my block don't feature a guy with a gun looking to just keep his family safe.

If my supplies are downstairs, as mentioned before, they are wasting time ****ing around with my house, which features about 250 other targets.

While I appreciate your "what if's" we could do this all day. Locks on doors are to keep honest people honest, we all know a boot can defeat the vast majority of locks. Locks on doors, with a camera, a dog and a house full of people make that honest "theif" or group move on to an easier target.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Abuck49 Abuck49 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 103
Thanks: 401
Thanked 124 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
Compton is a suburb of LA. They might fair well since not much will change. They already live without rule of law and have developed a code among the locals.
You sir are more right than you'd ever know. I live urban on my street are professionals , a retired LACSD , a few former gang members with families and jobs , and two former military myself being one. The same various makeup for about 3 blocks.

I speak to them all and know them like they know me. The kids play in my driveway when i'm gone , the only rule is throw their trash in my cans and not in the street.

There is a code and I know most of the people here wouldn't understand it because most believe what they're told and don't research. Most wouldn't fare well in this neighborhood trying to plunder , trust me. We have RV owners as well as boat owners and various large trucks. It would be very hard to enter here lol.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: State of Jefferson XX
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 3,982
Thanked 1,912 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
A quote works here, we are never as prepared as we are right now. I honestly don't know what I don't know. I just have to be adaptable when and if a situation arises. Hell, bubbging out might just be the best route to take immediately.

Answers in red above.

Thanks for the feedback and yes, this was welcomed information.
Consider keeping more mags charged all of the time. Honestly depends upon how much you all enjoy shooting, and how many you have. Nobody’s business really on either.

Some with your firearms, some in ammo cans in your rally position. Handy to just grab a can ready to go just for a quick range trip as well. Just remember to charge them back up when your done.

However if you do not currently have many mags to begin with, now is a great time to bump up on your stocks. They are a consumable, so having more/extras is simply a decent idea to begin with. IMO.

Palmetto State Armory has there Pmag deal at $8.99ea, free shipping on 10+ again. Deal comes and goes, was cheaper earlier in the summer, but $9 is still a very good deal. Other platforms? Just keep your eyes open for sales, or if you live in an area with active online firearms communities, those may have classifieds sections worth keeping an eye on.

As a simple example I just picked up “some” Magpul LR/SR ..308 20 rd mags at $14 ea, new in package from a regional forum member of a site I frequent for us. Icing on the cake is that these are the “sand” type, sold out most places, or a listed at premium if in stock. Will probably play with dying some of them with RIT for fun.

Picked us up “some” AR15 steel 20rd’rs, new out of package, same site, less than retail. Handy for bench & prone practice.

And some mini-14 mags half retail, again regional forum. Some run very well, others we tested are now marked range only...they’re Mini-14’s tho, so not a “go to” FOR US to begin with. Super fun tho.

And some handgun mags...

Etc etc.

Doesn’t take too much time spent perusing classifieds, standard online companies (especially with email alerts). Just over coffee, or during lunch here and there.

A note as to important papers you need more frequently and don’t currently store...color photocopies, digital pictures backed up to cloud and stick. All of our framed diplomas, certificates, registry documents, licenses to practice etc as an example, are color copies. Originals bagged and in fire resistant boxes along with family stuff (copies or originals, depending). Tax documents & insurance get there own fire box etc. Firearms paperwork it’s own box. I keep all of the bills of sale, trade & transfer paperwork for our firearms JIC there’s a “problem”, and I can access exact specifications/value with ease if memory fails. Etc.

Super handy overtime once you spend the time organizing. We know where everything is, and where everything new to get filed goes. Makes things pretty easy to grab and go, if needs be, as well as less wasted time bill/tax time etc.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net