commuting long distance for work and shtf - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,400 Times in 1,553 Posts

Advertise Here

My daily commute is 72 miles each way. Bought a used mtn bike on Craig’s list that I keep in my brothers garage 5 miles from work. With rests and meals, it takes me 24 hrs to walk into my front door. I have enough naproxen in me to thin my blood to a light pink. I am slathered with aspercreme ointment. I usually have a sunburn. After much experimentation, I find that you need a camping pad, a harbor freight 7x9 camp tarp and a meal every two hours. I go through a box of.high energy bars, 5 packages of Idahoan instant potatoes, five foil packages of starkist tuna in foil packets and eight instant coffee packets. The trip takes 3 gallons of water. I haven’t done it on foot or in the winter but I have done the other three seasons, from early March to late October. I have alcohol wipes for sponge baths and rub spots. I am adding a poncho liner to the mix. My GHB is a medium sized duffel I use as a gym bag with a strap worn across my chest. I keep a towel and an extra shirt inside to hide my gear. I have a med pak in a gal ziplock, a German pocket stove with fuel tabs, another gal ziplock with food and a poncho, a couple bandanas, a couple knives, two pistols, a pair of cheap Binoculersi, a boyscout pot and cup from a thrift store and a spoon, fork and eating knife on a ring. I keep a sandwich sized ziplock with countrytime pink lemonade mix. I snooze during the heat of the day and travel early and late. I have three routes and an off road cache every 10 miles in a buried 5 gallon bucket. Each has a gallon of spring water, a gal. Ziplock of food, coffee packets and countrytime. Each has a German pocket stove (finally!). I am working on a poncho in each. It’s a work in progress. Has been for a couple years now. I am in my late fifties and no athilete. A lot of my gear comes from Walmart. The stoves come from surplus stores, gun shows and a local prepper store.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Have you ever walked or biked 54 miles?

The most I have ever walked because of a broken down vehicle was about 20 miles. It took about 6 or 7 hours. By the time I was done my feet were quite sore, I don't know I could have done another 24 miles. Since then I had a job that I walked nearly 20 miles every day, that same hike when I had that job would have been no problem.

The most I have ever rode a bike was about 25 miles, it took maybe 3 hours. The next day I could barley get out of bed I was so sore. Yet with some training others could do that same 25 miles without breaking a sweat.

If you plan to cover that distance either of those ways it may be a good idea to make sure you are in shape to be able to do it.

Is there a way to make the distance less? Change jobs? Move? Those may sound like extreme solutions but living close to work can have lots of benefits especially if you don't much care for the job you have now or don't really care for where you live now. Being 54 miles from work adds two hours to every work day.

I used to have a 35-45 minute drive to work and now have a 10 minute drive. With a short drive it costs less in fuel, don't have to leave as early or get home as late, if I have vehicle problems it is easier to get a 10 minute ride from a friend than a 45 minute ride, in bad weather a short ride is less stress and probably safer than a long ride to work. Obviously if I need to walk home from work I could do the 10 minute drive in a couple hours, the 45 minute drive probably couldn't be done by me in a day.
My job has me on my feet all day long and my pedometer says I have anywhere from 8-11 miles. Granted, that’s not going to touch a 54 mile on foot commute, but I think it has me up to the challenge should it arise. I’m certain that a bike of some sort will be a huge asset too.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Hiker

I have a 120 mile round trip. Going home from work will be the biggest challenge - it's all urban. If there is a civil disturbance or some other major catastrophe that forces me to walk I think the biggest advantage I have currently is that I work nights.

I maintain some supplies at work in the event I have to wait there. And there are plenty of other supplies there as it's a huge office/warehouse facility. Being the security supervisor gives me the keys to the kingdom and access to anywhere.

Another plus is we have a 24/7 emergency operations center - it also serves as a back up EOC for the city/county if needed. We have 24/7 special duty law enforcement on site as well. Basically during an event I'd utilize all this as additional information sources to go/no-go.

Vehicle itself I have basic supplies and an overnight bag - just some clothes and hygiene items. Mainly in case of weather emergencies.

Then I have my dedicated GHB for when it really goes to crap and I'm walking. It's fairly typical I think of the variety. I check the gear a few times a year and set it up for warm/cold weather as needed.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:50 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,919 Times in 796 Posts

A folding bike in the vehicle OR a standard mountain bike or folding bike stashed at work.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:21 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,598 Times in 3,312 Posts

Something that some folks donít think about.
Those with long commutes

I know everyone likes all the survival gear and ghb...bobs....etc

But how about keeping a spare change of regular clothes and personal hygiene gear in case of an unexpected need to stay overnight close to work..etc
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Target Shooter

My short list at work / in the trunk, on top of the BOB's contents

- broken-in walkin'-dude footwear and poncho

- a folding kick-scooter (fast enough to be useful, slow enough to not get into too much trouble too fast)

- plastic-laminated terrain maps (terrain either side of the highway)

Previously

- caches every 20-30 miles, 10,000 cal plus meds & another water filter and water container and spare socks and underwear and specs
Old 11-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Prepared

I haven’t really given much thought to a scooter. I’ll be researching this as well. I would be more limited to pavement on one though.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:32 AM

If SHTF and transportation was down I don't think I'd be afraid of scavenging some wheels (bike, cart, etc.) along the way. Most people are honest and it is difficult for them to think outside of that box, but if SHTF to this degree...