Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 PM

Default Anyone Get Wired on Wireweed

Advertise Here

Here's what it looks like:
https://www.foragingtexas.com/2011/09/wireweed.html

In a prolonged post-STHF scenario coffee may be scarce. I realize that there are substitutes like chicory but these don't have any bio-reactive chemicals that I'm aware of.

It may be necessary to remain awake and alert for long stretches when SHTF and coffee is probably the best legal pick-me-up around. I stock a bottle of Nodoze in my SHTF supplies as well as a few containers of freeze dried coffee.

Wireweed contains the stimulant ephedrine which used to be a common ingredient of energy pills but was banned OTC about a dozen years ago. A plant similar to wireweed is thought to be the fabled Soma plant of the Indo-Aryans. Ephedrine is said to be stronger oz for oz than caffeine but it can cause undesirable side effects such as raising blood pressure.

Has anyone tried wireweed? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,100 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
Here's what it looks like:
https://www.foragingtexas.com/2011/09/wireweed.html

In a prolonged post-STHF scenario coffee may be scarce. I realize that there are substitutes like chicory but these don't have any bio-reactive chemicals that I'm aware of.

It may be necessary to remain awake and alert for long stretches when SHTF and coffee is probably the best legal pick-me-up around.
Maybe someone will chime in on the wireweed, but until then I'd like to point to something that may be a better alternative: Yaupon!

It is the only wild plant in North America that contains caffeine. Properly prepared, it tastes great.

Google dat and be amazed.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 02:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,965 Times in 19,123 Posts

I'll skip the false positive for meth, thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I'll skip the false positive for meth, thanks.
Just tell your boss you're on wireweed and I'm sure he'd understand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Maybe someone will chime in on the wireweed, but until then I'd like to point to something that may be a better alternative: Yaupon!

It is the only wild plant in North America that contains caffeine. Properly prepared, it tastes great.

Google dat and be amazed.
Yep, the infamous black brew. Yaupon does grow in AR just not in the part I live. Do you think it's reputation as an emetic are deserved?
Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,100 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
Yep, the infamous black brew. Yaupon does grow in AR just not in the part I live. Do you think it's reputation as an emetic are deserved?
No way. Here's why:

Because yaupon is once again becoming a popular morning beverage (as evident by brisk internet sales and Amazon reviews, forum/Facebook comments, etc.), I tend to agree with this explanation of the scientific name, Ilex vomitoria (see the excerpts from the link below)

Also, not one person in any of the reviews or anywhere on the entire internet has ever mentioned a word about feeling nauseous after consuming roasted yaupon tea, much less actually vomiting. I am pretty sure that by now, more than a few people who have gone overboard by drinking a lot more than what is "normal,' would have reported something about ill effects. But I have not seen it.

https://www.navasotaexaminer.com/lif...37035d559.html

"The plant’s genus, Ilex, refers to another plant which it resembles. Vomitoria refers to what it sounds like, vomiting. That name is based on Europeans’ misunderstanding of a Native American ceremony. "

English naturalist Mark Catesby wrote “Natural History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands” between 1729 and 1747. In Volume II page 57 he describes how Native Americans prepared yaupon holly, “They say, that from the earliest times the virtues of this shrub has been known, and in use among them, prepared in the manner they now do it, which is after having dryed [sic], or rather parched the leaves in a porrage-pot over a slow fire… they prepare their beloved liquor.” He described a cleansing ritual held one day a year. Members of the tribe drank black drink to induce “spring cleaning” (vomiting). It is believed that other ingredients were added to create a special mixture. This is what lead to the misunderstanding. The rest of the year they used an infusion of yaupon leaves the way we drink coffee and tea.

American colonists were still drinking yaupon tea after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). There is no agreed-upon reason as to why the drink fell out of favor. Maybe imports of coffee and regular tea became more popular. Some say that the Civil War disrupted the yaupon holly supply chain and it was forgotten. In the mid-20th century, it was “rediscovered,” but trying to sell a product named for vomit was a hard sell."
Old 10-29-2019, 02:51 PM
read more, post less

^^^ Your link doesn't work.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,685 Times in 786 Posts

If the SHTF and you need something to perk you up, you ain't paying attention.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticAmerican View Post
If the SHTF and you need something to perk you up, you ain't paying attention.
Not sure I get your point. It's entirely possible to be well-prepped and still need to stay awake for several straight "shifts". For example, if you were bugging out through a dangerous area and needed to push through without stopping, a picker upper would be handy.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,571 Times in 6,359 Posts

Hold that it contains ephedra close
They outlawed mahoung for having it