Survivalist Forum banner

AR upper recommendations?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AquaHull 
#1 ·
Hey I am looking to custom build my first AR, I think I have decided on the LMT Defense 2000 for the lower, and I have no idea for a upper receiver. I'm trying to keep the whole gun under 1400, and te lower runs about 350$.
I would really like atleast a 10in hamdguard or bigger, and if it costs more than about 500, it does need to be a piston operated.
Thank you.
Will OFarrell

#2 ·
I'd suggest a standard AR, mil spec stuff. 16 inch, 1 in 7 barrel. Nothing fancy, put good optics on it, (ACOG) keep the handguard short and light, keep it light overall, and enjoy it for what it is, a lighweight, compact, high capacity, easy to wield, capable little rifle.

I clearly understand the pull of a specialized, high end gun. with a 2 foot long, keymod handguard, forward grip, BUIS, match barrel and so on. However, the AR platform and 223 being what it is, I see no need to make it as heavy as a 308 with all sorts of additional stuff. In fact, I strongly dislike unbalanced, nose heavy AR's

I see no real world benefit from piston uppers either. Nor do I see a reliability improvement by going with a piston upper. Both gas impingement and piston uppers are equally reliable.

Piston uppers may have a downside as the piston driven AR "may" be less accurate. And parts are uncommon. Suppressors are said to be better paired with a gas gun, not a piston, for tuning.

I have tens of thousands of rounds downrange. The only AR reliability issues I've ever had are related to the ammo and not the gun. I don't throw my guns down the gravel driveway, and I don't pour sand into a fine piece of machinery. I keep my stuff clean and properly maintained. Surprisingly, that works every time.

If you want to shoot longer distances, go for a 308.

#8 ·
If you must have a piston upper, why not a LMT piston upper for that LMT lower? Granted they are quite pricey though.

Another popular option would be Adams Arms piston uppers. They have uppers starting around $600. There are also Sig 516 piston uppers as well, but they start around $1,100

Otherwise, stick with a direct impingement system, Plenty of options available (barrel lengths and types) and there are more rail options available with the DI system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.