Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kel Tek Sub 2000 - To Pair or Not derivativegal Pistol and Revolver Forum 44 05-21-2018 07:18 PM
Twin Peaks: Manly USA Knives Debuts a Pocket Pair AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-15-2017 08:00 PM
Champion Gel Ear Plugs (4 Pair) - $3.17 apps47inc For Sale 0 01-24-2017 08:37 AM
USGI USED MEDIUM Elbow Pads 1 Pair (COYOTE) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-06-2017 03:00 PM
USGI USED MEDIUM Elbow Pads 1 Pair (COYOTE) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-30-2016 11:40 AM

Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,111 Times in 474 Posts
Default Got a pair of new Doberman pups...

Advertise Here

Some things I 'forgot':

They pee a LOT, They poop a LOT, They chew on things a lot, There can be 20 identical balls on the ground and they will still choose to fight over 'one' of them instead of each getting their own, They poop a LOT.

Some things that are familiar:

They learn fast, They love having a semi-regular routine and schedule, It takes no longer to take a pair potty than it does one, It takes no longer to take a pair to the vet than it does one, A pair will 'entertain' each other and burn energy with less work on the part of the owner (other than supervision of course), A pair can help each other learn some things.

Guessing I have about a year to a year and a half of training before they are 'right' - Possibly less depending on how much they pick up from the older / adult female Doberman that was / is already living here.

My existing adult has not really 'made buddies' with the new puppies yet but has definitely become very protective of them. Watches them and the yard like a hawk when they are all outside. Quick to warn any strangers coming near to 'not' come near.

This is going to be fun!
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

Aww. Puppies!

Enjoy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Trapper

Here is a link to a picture of my previous pair and a picture of the new girls:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-rpHsg6/i-jDfkN7W/A

Tried to post just the picture instead of the link but couldn't figure it out...

Had a blast playing with them today. Only really working on teaching them the boundaries of the property (how far THEY are allowed to go anyway), potty training, crate training, and 'food' training right now.

They are doing great with the potty training considering their age, doing awesome with their indoor boundary training and they are LOVING the food around here! They went nuts when I tossed some scrambled eggs off in with their kibble today! Thought they were going to lick the chrome off the bowls!

Local grocery has 3 doz eggs for 50 cents sale right now so... They will be getting a bunch of that for the next little while!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,936 Times in 7,970 Posts

Pretty cute!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 AM
In a rifted Pangea...

Thanked 6,555 Times in 1,757 Posts

I was at the dog park last night with my pup. Another walker there had two dobermans. They were quite majestic.

Reminded me of Magnum PI.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,739 Times in 4,665 Posts

The Dobie is my favorite dogs, the females are more intelligent and protective than males, this is my observation. An easy dog to train and easy to care for. And best to have in pairs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,926 Times in 2,659 Posts

Neighbour has one of those, only tiny. 12 pound mini-pin. Thinks it's a hundred pounder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Owned by Dobie

Couldn't get the pic to open. But bet they are adorable. On my 6th rescue dobie. They are beyond smart! Although Sir Marcus (profile pic) was 4 when I got him, bit harder to train than the pups I had. He's trying just as hard to train me as I am him, dang smarty! Nobody believes he's 8 now, he still plays like a pup. My favorite thing about dobies is how playful and goofy they are when relaxing with family!

Congrats, have fun!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dannab1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannab1 View Post
Couldn't get the pic to open. But bet they are adorable. On my 6th rescue dobie. They are beyond smart! Although Sir Marcus (profile pic) was 4 when I got him, bit harder to train than the pups I had. He's trying just as hard to train me as I am him, dang smarty! Nobody believes he's 8 now, he still plays like a pup. My favorite thing about dobies is how playful and goofy they are when relaxing with family!

Congrats, have fun!

I had the barrier down today (that separates puppy room from rest of house) and was sitting in the living room with the big girl when one of the puppies left their room and thought she was going to come get up on the couch and mess with big girl.

Apparently big girl has ended the 'puppy pass' period.

It was a very light growl at first but as the little girl persisted in trying to get on up it turned into a much louder and more aggressive warning. Little girl backed up and took her butt back to 'her' room pretty quickly. I never had to do or say anything - Just 'supervised'.

Big girl did the right thing. The little ones got no business in this part of the house until they get a little more solid with the potty training (and knowing what is appropriate or not to chew on) and they sure as heck don't belong on the couch without being invited! LOL!

Have been having a blast with the little ones here lately! Got them some new (stronger) collars today, They are doing great with the posting and the ears are coming along nicely, They 'almost' got the 'whose bowl belongs to who' thing figured out, And the potty training is coming along nicely considering their age (they are learning what 'hurry up' means and potty breaks take very, very little time now)...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
Neighbour has one of those, only tiny. 12 pound mini-pin. Thinks it's a hundred pounder.
Many people get confused and think they are the same breed but just 'mini' versions.

They are not.

They are a completely separate breed.

My little ones are just about 4 months old now and as of last week one was 35lbs and the other 32lbs. Being females, I am expecting them to be between 65 to 70 lbs when they are fully grown. Both parents appeared 'average' in size / weight when I saw them.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
The Dobie is my favorite dogs, the females are more intelligent and protective than males, this is my observation. An easy dog to train and easy to care for. And best to have in pairs.

Excellent post and I agree completely!

With my last pair they grew up to be two entirely different dogs with different personalities, different things that they were really good at and different things that they liked to do.

The adult I still have here from my last pair was always the 'fastest' running of the two for example. When they would be out running around the yard playing 'chase' she would sometimes look behind her as she was running and 'adjust' her speed to keep the game going. Was easy to actually see her speed up or slow down depending on how close her sister was to getting her nub! LOL!

That 'chase' game caused a pile of skinned up paw pads in the beginning at work with them running around outside in the lot. Tight turns made at speed on pavement = skinned up paw pads. Did not take the faster girl long to learn to hit grassy spots before breaking direction when at speed. Her doing so helped big sister learn the same thing pretty quickly as well. That same 'chase' game helped them both to learn to run inside the shop as well. If trying to make a turn or round a corner at full speed on a smooth surface - There is going to be a skid out and dog is going to slide into something. Paw pads might not get scuffed up but sliding into something that does not move while at speed is going to smart a bit! Only had to happen a few times before they both learned to go slower and make wider turns when running around corners on smooth surfaces.

Trying to teach those same things would have been a lot harder and a lot more 'work' for me if I had only had one dog at a time.

Dogs need mental and physical exercise to be happy - A playmate provides that and more...

Big girl does not really have to 'run' to stay ahead of the little ones. It looks more like a brisk walk for her compared to the tiny little legs on the pups going full tilt boogie trying to 'catch' her! LOL!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Owned by Dobie

We had a great little female, about 50 lbs. We fostered a litter for rescue thinking she would be great help training them. We brought them home and she took one look and looked at us like "are you crazy????" She than went about halfway back to the fence (acre lot) and sat down with her back to us for the rest of the day! She totally ignored the puppies until we opened the pen they were in. As they wandered the yard they got about 15 feet from the neighbors fence with the rott and she got up and ran to the puppies and herded them back toward us. For about two weeks she only interacted with them when she felt we were too stupid to watch them!!!! After that she "forgave" us and started playing with them. She was a great teacher from that point on. As there were 7 of them she had lots of growling, light nipping sessions!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannab1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Owned by Dobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
I have found the same to be true about protectiveness. My males have been more laid back, goofy and playful. They step into protectiveness when a threat is evident. My females seemed to always be watchful and alert. They were the ones who wore a path around the fence patrolling hourly. The males just watched for trouble from the deck!

Last edited by dannab1; 12-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Removing rogue commas!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dannab1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I have found the same to be true about protectiveness. My males have been more laid back and goofy, playful. They step into protectiveness when a threat is evident. My females seemed to always be watchful and,alert. They were the,ones who wore a path around the fence patrolling hourly. The males just watched for trouble from the deck!
I always try to get the female runt of the litter if possible. They are the most protective. This goes with any dog. My last was a German Shepard that was killed during a break-in to my apartment years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,277 Times in 3,371 Posts

Dobermans are a great breed, but they do have their drawbacks.
They TEND to want to be the boss of your other dogs (in my experience).
But when my larger German Shepherd tears up my Dobie it can get expensive.
They are decent indoor dogs but have thin skin and coat so can't handle the cold very well. I buy new coats for mine every year.

My Doberman is my most trusted dog out of my four dogs, but I wish I would have known that they are much better with their own breed. Of course dogs are individuals, and YMMV.

I have known others with Dobermans, and other breeds and they have had the same problem. I currently own my 3rd German Shepherd, and would not be without one, until I at least find a dog that is better all around and can handle cold weather.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

beeeeutiful dogs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Trapper

They are killin me today.

First thing this AM (just woke up), One of the little ones decides to crap in her crate, spread it all around and eat half of it. Left a nice trail of poopie paw prints on the way outside.

While cleaning that up the other little one decides to spit up in her crate.

Not to be outdone by the little ones, Big girl then goes and spits up in her crate.

None of them are sick - They just collectively decided that the floors and crates all needed a good cleaning...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
They are decent indoor dogs but have thin skin and coat so can't handle the cold very well. I buy new coats for mine every year.

Count me in as being one of those people that buys clothes for their dogs. LOL!

I found this place on etsy called Voyagers K9 Apparel and got some black fleece tummy warmers / coats. They love them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
They are killin me today.

First thing this AM (just woke up), One of the little ones decides to crap in her crate, spread it all around and eat half of it. Left a nice trail of poopie paw prints on the way outside.

While cleaning that up the other little one decides to spit up in her crate.

Not to be outdone by the little ones, Big girl then goes and spits up in her crate.

None of them are sick - They just collectively decided that the floors and crates all needed a good cleaning...

This is what a pair of young pups will do. A lot of solidarity between them, which you will see as a benefit... but not this week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Prepared

Quote:
I have found the same to be true about protectiveness. My males have been more laid back, goofy and playful. They step into protectiveness when a threat is evident. My females seemed to always be watchful and alert. They were the ones who wore a path around the fence patrolling hourly. The males just watched for trouble from the deck!
Same experiences here. I've found our females to definitely be the superior protectors. Much more vigilant.

The males have always been substantially better (patient) with little kids, but we don't have that to worry about at our place anymore
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atomic Inc For This Useful Post: