Survivalist Forum banner

My teams Ideal bug out trailer stuff...

23K views 176 replies 12 participants last post by  xizero 
#1 ·
well NuNu

let me give you my ideal kit list for a storage based trailer bug out type solution ...

1. first an Army tent
    - the big one 5mx5m ... they are designed to last and can be packed quite small.. they require a few ppl to put up .. but we could do it with 10 guys in under 3 minutes... we used to actually race the erection of the tents..
    these tents really cant be beaten and in the long run i think they are even better the a caravan ...
    http://tentpro.co.za/tents/new/new_5x5.html
    dig a nice water shed trench around the tent and fill with rocks...
  2. Camo net for the said tent .. cause they make great shade nets and can help hide the camp ... a little from prying eyes...
  3. a gas and electric powered fridge / freezer...
  4. a solar array for refrigerator.
  5. Inverter and battery array and generator( generator only for use in extreme emergencies )
  6. ammo reloading equipment and some gun smithing stuff.
  7. a small forge anvil ... and tools ... saws, folding work bench
  8. lubricants and paints
  9. water heater like the makooka mentioned else where
  10. water tanks ( full ones and empty ones )
  11. a water filtration system ... for drinking water
  12. 3 months MRE's, and some seed for food
  13. beds and linen- stretcher types --must be off the floor.
  14. detergents for cleaning clothes and dishes
  15. Basins for cleaning
  16. a manual washing machine.
    http://inhabitat.com/human-powered-g...costs-only-40/
  17. solar charged lighting for the main tent.
  18. perimeter alarm system .. (trip wires ,marine radar, diy claymores that sort of thing, mouse trap mines )
  19. Gardening and digging equipment spades, pick axes and hoes... digging trenches...
  20. communal cooking gear...
  21. table and chairs -- or make it yourself when there
  22. various ropes, wire, bolts and nuts, screws, cable ties and other odds and ends
  23. a good large medical kit...
  24. chemical toilet.. and / or army style go-carts
  25. privacy screens for light discipline and mostly to keep the younger kids inside the camp and the ladies happy and the game out...http://tentpro.co.za/surplus/latrine_screen.html
  26. portable solar electric-fence -- but thats just to keep monkeys, baboon and other game out of the main camp ( and maybe keep some pigs. It only need one wire about 8 inches off the ground, I've seen this done before, works a treat)http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm http://www.maxflex.com/Tape_Strand.HTM
    http://www.stafix.co.za/index.asp?mid=88&mid2=272
  27. Board games
  28. solar heated shower
  29. Gabions as i said before
  30. Radio's -- receivers for entertainment... and news... and radios transceivers for comms ...
  31. manual singer sewing machine ( if there is space )
  32. a black board / white board for community notices and schedules for guard-duty etc...
  33. Maps of area and surrounds.
  34. Solar cooker and solar oven
  35. wall-to-wall carpet off-cuts (these are like very cheap Persian rugs , they help with dust and cold and really insulate well can get a 3x3 ,edged, off-cut for about R800)

I'll edit this post more as I think about it more.

that would be my teams ideal bug out-trailer

now consider that the main tent is 5x5 and it serves as a communal hall, creche, bathing, food prep area ... guard house, and store.

and that each member will bring there own gear as well ... a private tent ... and 3 months food .. a weapon, bedding...
clothes ... night vision .. other bug-out basics ... personal hygiene kits etc...

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Xizero, a good idea to create a separate thread for this. A couple of questions if I may:
  • How many people are you looking at accommodating with this type of set-up?
  • Would this be for a "permanent" type camp - as in everyone is going to be camping for the whole duration - or is this just a temporary set-up while you build more solid infrastructure?

#4 ·
the setup is for 10 families, or about 35 people ...
ideally you want at least 3 trailers in a zone .. or 30 men and 30 women (60 odd adults , 45 odd children )

its temporary, but could do for extended up to a year... with enough resources.

its to get away from initial danger.. but to be fair this isnt so much my plan . as A plan ... i cant defend it cause it was just a basic idea spin off of the other thread

#3 ·
Just a thought but seeds will not produce food in 3 months so you will run out of MRE's before your garden is producing.

Also skip the chemical toilet to save space and weight and simply dig a slit trench. You already have the tools for gardening so you could also use them for waste management.

#5 ·
Go-karts are slit trenches ;)

and the MRE's are for if there isnt anything else -- if you read the whole thing you will note that everyone has there own 3 months and the group 3 months on the trailer is enough for 6 months. ;)
its hard to transport 6 months on a trailer... -- this whole setup might even need more then 3 trailers ... i would really need to start calculating if i wanted to check that properly...

#9 ·
no worries :) even 3 months is a lot of food... worked it out that 3 months for 45 ppl is over 6300 meals - if you only have brunch and dinner ... which is the operational norm ... so eish thats not going to fit on the trailer anyway ...

#11 ·
yeah its still tighter then i would like ... a rat pack full day ration is about A kg ... so 3150 kgs for 90 days ... obviously the kids eat less.. and it is an emergency senario ... ao yeah its going to be iron rations... but its probably a 300 kgs either way ... but its still a LOT of stuff ... will need 3 bakkies just for that... 1 ton bakkies.... and the rest could be in a trailer...

probaby under 1 ton for the rest of the gear... the tent is 70 odd ... the camo net about the same....

#13 ·
I think the big tent is a good plan though, I like the idea of having an immediately available central command type shelter for communal meeting hall, food prep, medical area, guard house or storage etc.

I would be looking at basic (tent) accommodation for about 3 months while we build more permanent structures - either with wood/logs, sandbags, stone or a combination of all three, some above ground and some half buried or dug into the side of a hill. Construction (hand) tools and materials will be important to have, on top of all the 'temp' camp essentials that you have listed above.

#15 ·
How big is this freaking trailer? Besides having a trailer of this size, you are talking a lot of weight as well. Are you pulling it with an 18 wheeler? What about taking it offroad? Why not have a couple/few smaller trailers since the party will be larger? That way, you have more options as far as travel.

Same with the tent. What if half the people aren't there, are you are alone? I would opt for several smaller tents. What if the group wants to split up later? With everything being "community" as you mention, there will be a huge problem since people aren't going to leave without anything.

#16 ·
And also it's precisely why I don't advocate bugging out ... If possible one should bug in ... But if you have no option. Get a trailer and prioritize the list I've given and leave what you can't haul ... Actually a lot of these things are luxuries that can be done without ... But for the sake of the groups happiness this is what was suggested by them

#20 ·
I was discussing your list with one of my siblings this afternoon and I made the point that there was clearly a lot of feminine input and that you'd need at least 7, perhaps 8, drivers with Code 14 competence.

Notwithstanding your already-clearly-expressed preference for bugging in, allow me to add that what you have described is not bugging out, it is mobile bugging-in. I advocate that you take a leaf out of the book of those chaps on that DSTV programme who lift up old churches and houses and move them 30 miles down the road. Is it called Movers? (Obviously) that solution wouldn't allow you to take as much stuff with you, but it would (obviously) allow for more rapid transit.

Just teasing Xizero...

#19 ·
http://m.bidorbuy.co.za/mobilejquery/item/176384096/US_Army_Desert_Camo_Net_3_Meter_2_Meter.html

lol i never said it did lol ... its a kit list ... nunu asked o the one thread what we would do ... so i drafted what i would do ... i do have a lot of the kit ... just not the tent and camo net ... or the trailer ... or that much.p food yet- ive got about half the food and 3 cars for bug out ... other then rest of the clan ... one has a trailer ... but no tent . the rest each have 2 cars to pack ... in the 3 cars are 5 ppl so we are ok for the loads ... i would love the tent but will probably end up with a smaller one. and a small camo net.http://m.bidorbuy.co.za/mobilejquer...l_heavy_duty_BARGAIN_R2000_FREE_DELIVERY.html

#22 ·
Ja, girl-children are a complication, make no mistake. My best mate has only daughters as I have only sons, and he lives in a world of very different considerations to those in my world.

Gracious me, it's no bloody wonder that you don't want to bug out. The sense of responsibility of having three or four womenfolk on your hands! Eish. I am not sure that I'd have the courage to do it.

In fact, after contemplating it for a few seconds, the knot in my stomach tells me that I'd move to E.Cape right away. I am NOT suggesting that you should do so, I am merely saying that I would not wait to run a gauntlet... I'd be too afraid of the risk, I am sure of it.

Heavens above.

#23 ·
i have a pigeon pair but both under 4 ... and the group has mostly 30 sumthings almost all with new borns .. or young ones... it does mean if i wanna go out and play army that i have to make things as much like home for the familly as i can ...else they just going to sit down in a big ol pile and die... cant let it happen... same with the mates... the ladies will contribute.. hell .. the lesbian couple .. the one girl can out hunt any one of us hands down... with a bow.... thats my impressed voice.... if you missed it...
but they still like the luxuries ...

im so surprised no one has said anything about the anvil in my list ?

but really its not as much stuff as you think .. the food yes but the rest not so much ..

i went and layed it all out last week for inventory .. there are some bits that i still need bbut its less then pl think, ironically its my standard camping gear .. bar the camo net and tent .. fence ... anvil ... lol =

#26 ·
i have a pigeon pair but both under 4 ... and the group has mostly 30 sumthings almost all with new borns .. or young ones... it does mean if i wanna go out and play army that i have to make things as much like home for the familly as i can ...else they just going to sit down in a big ol pile and die... cant let it happen... same with the mates... the ladies will contribute.. hell .. the lesbian couple .. the one girl can out hunt any one of us hands down... with a bow.... thats my impressed voice.... if you missed it...
but they still like the luxuries ...

im so surprised no one has said anything about the anvil in my list ?

but really its not as much stuff as you think .. the food yes but the rest not so much ..

i went and layed it all out last week for inventory .. there are some bits that i still need bbut its less then pl think
Said in The Best Spirit!

Having spent many years of my life packing trucks, I simply cannot believe that all of that could fit into anything less than an 8 ton truck (standard). A 5-tonner? Never. Never ever.

The food alone must be 4.8 cubic metres-worth. AT LEAST!

BTW, in my experience of women, it is safe to say that either you or they have overlooked cushions, and - quite separately - pillows. Ask her now if she thinks that cushions are a necessity and let us know. Come on, do it and be honest about it (and don't lead her!).

#30 ·
No, Xizero! We are not going to take carpet off-cuts. That's the giddy bloody limit, as my dad would say. What we will do, as gentlemen, is give you a hand to pitch your camp and strike it... until the wee hours, probably.

I did see the anvil, but chose to go about this as politely as possible. I am also always wary of your knowledge on these things, so it took me a cautious hour before I was willing to risk concluding that I'd rather drive 0.5kms an hour faster and use 30l less fuel over 2000kms, and use a dussel-boom as an anvil, than carry an anvil (and a shower curtain, and how many MREs?, and a portable electric fence, and a solar oven/eye level hob/microwave combo unit, and marine radar, and claymores (you know as well as I do how much those things weigh - like 2kgs each, and how many are you going to have to plant to secure a perimeter the size of a Hyperama)... whew, broer).

My favourite, though, was the paint. I can guess why you want it, but still. You're going to need an Abnormale Vrag voertuig by the time you are done.

I feel bad about giving you such a hard time, but... no man, Xizero! You are going to have to take this one on the chin like a man, that's all there is to it. It's like getting a lamey (lammie) at school, you just have to take it.

#33 ·
Then ask her in the morning. R100 to a brick says that she replies "Of course we need cushions, Xizero. What are the children supposed to sit on? You can't ask them to drive 4000 miles, or whatever it is, sitting on the back seat. And don't even ask me about pillows, you know very well that I can't sleep properly without a pillow. I'm not some Zulu warrior or something, sleeping under a goat-skin on top of dead leaves".

R100. The safest bet I ever made.

#39 ·
I knew it!

I told my brother!

I said "I am telling you, that oke has been typing out this list with two X chromosomes leaning over his shoulder keeping a beady eye out for what kind of a selfish male he is being. No man would write this lot at his own instigation. This is a Karen Blixen safari with 140 porters in tow, not a desperate flight at 160kms an hour from 25,000 home-made-9mm-wielding Diepkloof residents crossing the Jukskei".

Dearie me, Xizero, you are the very epitome of the good husband. I envy you, really. Well, sort of.

#43 ·
Now I have YOU making me giggle spittle all over my keyboard like an eight year old boy. Women hate me too, don't worry.

And being alone is KAK.

Hell's teeth, but there is nothing quite like self-effacement to make me laugh.

My-oh-my, but we are a bunch of losers. Xizero's wife browbeats him, Nunu doesn't want to have to meet anyone, 300 wants to resign (from his own business and it won't accept his resignation!), Dreadnought is addled, Enigma believes in world peace, and you and I are sad, single, and close to broke.

It reminds me of the Dirty Dozen.

(Let me know if you spot a ***** in Louie's armour, will you?).

#47 ·

http://kymkemp.com/2010/jan/18/one-years-supply-of-food/
I donno - I need 2 of these in 3 car boots... doesn't look very difficult to me ...

bear in mind that 3 adults and 2 toddlers In the cars.. and not much else but the other gear...

564 pounds from the pic for 6 months for 2 adults ... /2.1 (convert to kgs) = 270KG odd *2 = 540 odd kgs ...
will fit in a trailer just fine .... you will need a proper tow bar .. but then again .. that's a given ...

#54 ·
Okay, This is My Answer, Within MY Paradigm

Whereas I am planning to do a runner as much as anything else; to flee from Babylon to a pre-prepared bug-IN location (effectively)

Using Xizero's List as a Template​

Here are my caveats:
1. Assume 6 people
2. Assume preparation for a period of 3 days' to 3 weeks' flight; 6 weeks at the very worst
3. Assume sedan with Thule and Venter, or double-cab bakkie with Venter

Then this would be my list, beginning in order of priority, but then just following Xizero's template. I have used Xizero's list as a template for a few reasons, not least "just for comparison's sake, even if the comparison is a false one because we have different paradigms in mind".

1. Reliable vehicle
2. Spare fuel equivalent to two extra tanks’ worth, say 200l
3. Firearms and ammunition
4. Warm clothing including proper boots; one set, including long-johns, for everyone.
5. Sleeping bags and ponchos, and a good quality blanket, per person
6. Fire starting materials in abundance (2 kgs’ worth? No, 1.5kgs. Alright, 1kg)
7. For the unlikely event that we have to ditch our motor vehicle and there is no one to assist us: 1 pre-packed back pack per person, with the following items distributed amongst them
 Three very light 2-man tents
 Item 4 above, ONE. SET. ONLY. Except for underpants and socks
 Item 5 above, obviously
 One torch per person, plus an eight-pack of spare batteries
 One good quality knife per person
 One Swiss Army knife or Leatherman per person
 Small whet-stone, but perhaps not
 Small medical kits, including sutures. Also Xizero’s glycerine, potassium permanganate, and iodine, with which I have been experimenting lately. And lots and lots of Zam-Buk.
 Pikstel, varkpan, water bottle, and fire bucket per person
 3 sets of binoculars of varying weight
 Coghlans’ style small snake-bite kit
 Coghlans’ style wire saw
 Needle books
 Teeny little fishing kit
 Jack saw (folding tree saw)
 30m of light rope
 Matches, fire lighters, flint & magnesium
 1:50,000 maps, plus two Michelin type maps. No doubt about it.
 3 compasses
 Toiletry bag (ONE! Dammit.)
 Catapults (they are so light, and so handy for birds)
 Slings (David type; they are infinitesimally light, even the well-made ones)
 A bow and arrows. This might be fanciful, but don’t tell that to my son who just two weeks ago succeeded in The Impossible Challenge at one of Jhb’s oldest archery clubs, only the second person since the inception of the challenge to do so (the other was an adult, many years ago, according to the bigwig there). I must admit, too, that those Survival Systems bows tickle me pink.
 Water purifier straws
 Biltong, nuts, Pro-Nutro/Jungle Oats/molasses mix, etc, just for a few days. Klaar! For the rest, we shall have to forage, end of story baby.
 Razor blades.
NOTE: some of the above items could be shared by “the vehicle”, but it would be my express intention not to ever unpack the back-packs, as far as reasonable. In all seriousness, if I could afford it, I would thus have, for example, for each person, 2 sleeping bags and 2 ponchos.

Now here goes Xizero's list. My comments in bold, and then my continuation of Xizero's list, in bold again

8. first an Army tent -- nice to have but you can get a smaller one .. for 23 kg's http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17487..._DELIVERY.html Not for me
9. Camo net--- again this is a luxury -- upto you I would really recommend it though .. keeps the tent cool too No
10. a gas and electric powered fridge / freezer... these are the small ones for camping http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17515...t_Freezer.html No
11. a solar array for refrigerator - or gas ... but makes more sense to get a 50 watt panel and a battery ( from the cars when they are parked at a BOL) The latter makes sense, even in my scenario
12. Luxury its up to you .. and I meant a small 1000w generator http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17672...Generator.html ----Inverter and battery array and generator( generator only for use in extreme emergencies ) No
13. must have but can be small ----ammo reloading equipment and some gun smithing stuff. Yes
14. um a tool roll will do with a hammer and a few saws make my own bench ----a small forge anvil ... and tools ... saws, folding work bench. I should take many more tools than you, especially to keep the vehicle on the road, but forgo your timber stuff
15. lubricants and paints --- let me be more clear .. its a can of spray paint.. and a can of Q20 Anything useful for the maintenance and roadworthiness of the vehicle, yes.
16. water heater like the makooka mentioned else where -- not big or heavy. No.
17. water tanks ( full ones and empty ones ) -----40 L one full one empty Yes
18. a water filtration system ... for drinking water --- um a life straw each ... In this regard, I would go much further than you. In this and spare fuel, I would go “overboard”.
19. 3 months MRE's, and some seed for food -- see other posts... I’d have one week’s worth of ration packs for 6 people – at 42kgs, and one week’s worth of MREs at 66kgs. For the rest, it will be rice and pasta, soup and sauce.
20. beds and linen- stretcher types --must be off the floor. -- camp stretchers for the wife , me and kids .. light as hell and small ... these ones
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/172257146/Bushtec_Spring_Leg_Camping_Stretcher.html
not these ones
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/152479314/Afritrail_Easy_Bed_Queen.html No
21. detergents for cleaning clothes and dishes -- a bottle or 2 of sunlight .. ? No. A teeny tiny bit. That’s it, and I mean it.
22. Basins for cleaning - all my stuff is packed in plastic bins anyway for easy packing so this isn't really necessary No, not unless they are really and truly 100% incidental.
23. a manual washing machine. -- yeah a sputnik ... im dambed if im washing this by hand.. No. No washing clothes unless it is convenient.
24. solar charged lighting for the main tent.
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/176509070/Free_Torch_and_Solar_with_3_Light_Kit.html
25. perimeter alarm system .. (trip wires ,marine radar, diy claymores that sort of thing, mouse trap mines )maybe more specific a couple of mouse traps and some wire with nail gun blanks .. No
26. Gardening and digging equipment spades, pick axes and hoes... digging trenches... -- ok 2 spades, a hoe an axe , a pick axe... Nothing except for spades to get the vehicle out of mud
27. communal cooking gear...2 pots and a pan ... Yes
28. table and chairs -- or make it yourself when there ive got a collapsing one http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17655...AND_TABLE.html This and the shower for the women, I can absolutely concede to taking. For the rest, I’d beat the chicks with a stick to get them into the car if they were set on quarrelling with me over cushions and suntan lotion even as the bandits hove into view at the bottom of the street. But I see a chair and a shower as something akin to a tampon for a woman. These three items are tantamount to providing basic dignity to a female.
29. various ropes, wire, bolts and nuts, screws, cable ties and other odds and ends Yes
30. a good large medical kit...don't skimp here Yes, yes, yes.
31. chemical toilet.. and / or army style go-carts -- ok so a bucket with a toilet seat when its empty its light. No
32. privacy screens for light discipline and mostly to keep the younger kids inside the camp and the ladies happy and the game out...http://tentpro.co.za/surplus/latrine_screen.html
ok so we can loose those, but I really NEED them... ok they can go in the old ladies car if she has space on the roof rack No.
33. portable solar electric-fence -- but thats just to keep monkeys, baboon and other game out of the main camp ( and maybe keep some pigs. It only need one wire about 8 inches off the ground, I've seen this done before, works a treat)http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm http://www.maxflex.com/Tape_Strand.HTM
http://www.stafix.co.za/index.asp?mid=88&mid2=272
----you get camping style ones .. its basically a cattle prod with a bail of wire... really really small guys ... No.
34. Board games --- a must -- my kids will drive me batty and so will the old lady I agree strongly. In my case, the numbers would be severely limited, but I’d add books.
35. solar heated shower - its just an empty bag you hang in a tree with a shower head... For the mothers of my sons, yes.
36. Gabions as i said before -- er well those are optional ... No.
37. Radio's -- receivers for entertainment... and news... and radios transceivers for comms ... there is one in each of the cars... and a hand held CB .. its not big or heavy. I am liable to get carried away in this regard, I must confess.
38. manual singer sewing machine ( if there is space ) but a needle book will do too ... No
39. a black board / white board for community notices and schedules for guard-duty etc... -- ok so this is can be improvised .. the inside of a tent makes a nice white board No
40. Maps of area and surrounds. ? ? ? Many and much!
41. Solar cooker and solar oven--- folds up small and they are light ... No.
42. wall-to-wall carpet off-cuts (these are like very cheap Persian rugs , they help with dust and cold and really insulate well can get a 3x3 ,edged, off-cut for about R800) I will not budge on this one ... roll it up and suck it up ... goes on the roof rack No
43. if there is space too I would even take the moped with ... No, but I would take 3 x simple, rugged, reliable, XT250 type motorbikes if I could do so (which I cannot; I am merely saying...)
44. not sure what I would do with the dogs though ; Mine will come with me because they are small, can manage – like all dogs – on human faeces if we do not have much food for them, and they are good watch dogs (Jack Russels). One of them has bitten something like 15 people 36 times in the past 9 months. One guy has been bitten 9 times. And, bless him, but the dog draws blood every time, too! If it were not so, I would put them to sleep before I drove out of the driveway.
45. Fire extinguishers
46. Car spares. 250kgs’ worth, and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.
47. 2l – 5l each of paraffin, methylated spirits, and turpentine, just because they come in handy in so many and such various ways
48. 40kgs of Epsom salts, Glauber salt, bicarbonate of soda, acetone, sulphur, saltpetre, etc., etc. I have been fiddling quite a lot lately.
49. The accoutrements to the above, such as detonators. This and the above item are luxuries, I admit it, but they are luxuries for defence.
50. Panga, proper tree-saw with two spare blades, axe.
51. 1000’ vakkels
52. Small laser pointer

Remember guys, this is not a commentary upon Xizero's list, because Xizero's list is meant to serve an indefinite or protracted bug-OUT.
My list is meant to serve one single journey to a pre-prepared location, albeit perhaps a hampered and delayed journey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.