Cold Steel Wakizashi - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,175 Times in 4,913 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
Any sword made in SS....is also known as a "SLO".....and is meant ONLY for display......

just read this....

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/ba...ady-sword.html
The first SS sword I bought was back in the mid 70's, and it was one of the few that was actually made of steel that could be used. Most back then were some kind of white/pot metal and meant for display only.

That first SS blade took a lot of hard abuse, and would likely still be going strong, if I hadnt lost it. The second SS blade has also taken a lot of abuse too, and it too has held up well.

The one thing Ive had the most trouble with, has been the grip/handle. They are made of plastic, and at some point, the wrap will come apart, and the handle itself will break, especially if youre using them hard.

That, and the collar that holds the tsuba on can break, letting it come off.

Even though they work for what Ive been using them for over the years, they really arent made for actual use, other than maybe cutting melons at demos.

I kind of doubt those selling them actually think they will get any kind of use beyond something like that. Still, the blades seem to hold up OK, and the design seems to work well, even if they are lacking in some of the other parts.

I also bought a similar type sword a number of years back, I think it was off Bud K. It has a full tang, steel blade with wood panels. The blade is more straight, like the "ninja" type swords they sell, and appears to be Indian in origin. The metal is crappy, doesnt hold any kind of edge, and its a terrible cutter. It actually hurts your hands to cut with it. Kind of looks the part though, but thats about it.

Id say, if you want a sword specifically to fight with, then you should probably buy one meant for that. My guess is, youll probably pay to much for something youll never actually use or be able to vet, but, youll have what you want. If youre going to do that, probably best to get some training with it as well. Might as well know how to use it.

Just keep in mind, and even though its a movie, that scene from Indiana Jones was very likely prophetic and "real world". I know Id just shoot you if you pulled it on me.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,311 Times in 555 Posts

Rural Buckeye Guy the first sword I wanted was a Gladius. The local Academy even had the Cold Steel Gladius you linked to. But after seeing it in person I decided to pass. Its really nothing more than their other economy blades they have sold for years.

I have a willow leafed 13" and 18" Cold Steel machetes now that both come to a sharp point. I could if I wanted just sharpen the top edge to match the bottom edge and have the same thing as the Gladius. Heck I may do that on the 13" knife. It was only about $20 or so so no loss if I screw it up.

This page has 4 nice Gladius weapons and the Cold Steel version. They are either made in the Phillipine's or El Salvador. Or in the case of the Cold Steel in south Africa. ???

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...search=gladius
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,311 Times in 555 Posts

Thinking about it probably the best thing I could do is just stop watching Forged In Fire. Lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,874 Times in 759 Posts

Cold steel has been very hit or miss for me.

I have a lot of their knives and some are very high quality for what you pay for and others are expensive scrap metal.

The GI Tanto I have is nicked, finish worn and the scales broke off (those were cheap plastic anyway)... after thousands of times throwing it in to things, using it as a pry bar, a wedge to split small logs and it's still got a LOT of life in to it, especially if I decide to repair the edge itself. Paid under $30 for it.

On the other hand I have a Leatherneck SF and the tip bent despite being reinforced and it's lost an edge pretty quickly and I've never thrown this knife. Paid about $60 for it.

I've heard their cheap machetes are junk but no experience with those specifically, just my experience with their products.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,656 Times in 6,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I totally agree about having a gun (or 100) and plenty of ammo if you're talking current-world self-defense. However, it's ironic that in some cultures a blade is respected and feared more than the AK47 hanging on their shoulder. I've had my Afghan conversations sway towards my knife (or knives) more than a few times. While the business end of the gun would get more attention, a large blade does the same. Just never bring a knife to a gun fight!

I have a few dual-purpose big blades. While I see them as tools first, they can be devastating weapons. Think Kukri. I do have some higher end short-swords (Laci Szabo Bush Sword, Rat Waki, etc.), weight is a factor, and I like the lighter weigh of a machete, but the kukri is another good option. Price for value, check out Condor Knife and Tool:

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/c...steel-machetes

ROCK6

Funny enough, I just got a new Condor Heavy Duty Kukri on ebay that was advertised as new, I won the auction for $73, but then the seller refunded my money for some reason. I thought it was because he didn't want to sell it that cheap and F'd me over, so I emailed him. He said it was "damaged", he sent me photos and turns out the blade was just stained with some oxidation. We came to an agreement at a reduced price of $50 shipped.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,787 Times in 5,977 Posts

If you keep up with the Renaissance Fair, the boys that do sword fighting go through a lot of steel. You might have a talk with them if you get the opportunity.
I bought a crusaders sword made from spring steel. Beautiful work but I hesitate to use it in battle unless I had to.
Even the old original swords got broken in battle so it should be no surprise.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,787 Times in 5,977 Posts

My son and I took up fencing and had great fun.
If you have some one to play with it can be a ball.
He since moved away so I take my swords out once in a while a give my self a good stretch and a little sparing with trees. It's funny how accuracy goes away with out regular practice.