Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-29-2020, 12:46 PM

Default Who uses a push drill?

Advertise Here

I love my Yankee #41 Push Drill. I got mine off Ebay for about 20 bucks including 7 fluted drill bits. It will drill almost as fast as power drill and the fluted drill bits are stored in the handle. I use it all the time for starting screws in wood. I usually screw in the screws with my Yankee screwdriver(another ingenious traditional tool).

Who else uses a #41 Push Drill?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vonfilm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,901 Times in 10,144 Posts

I still have an egg beater drill somewhere and even a breast drill, plus a brace and bit. I'm sure there is a Yankee screwdriver around here somewhere. Have a Snap On speed wrench.

I have a good assortment of non power tools about for post EMP use. Block plane, draw knife, rasps, saws, files, small arbor press
Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,538 Posts

I have never actually used a push drill but I consider my brace to be my cordless drill. I use it all the time if I can't run an extension cord to where I am working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,288 Times in 1,286 Posts

Yankee push drills are the best!!! I still have my telephone company one in my tool belt.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM
Prepared

I found mine at a yard sale a couple of years ago. The tool room this older man had was a dream come true for me. I must have walked back into that room 5 times because I just kept seeing more things. I found more bits on eBay.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,694 Times in 2,412 Posts

I remember putting up lots of sheet rock, with my Yankee... doing ceiling sheets it still comes in handy for angle of force and may be even quicker at least when I was younger, doing vertical work I break out the cordless drill though.

It will always be around as I like keeping and collecting manual power tool options.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 11,149 Times in 2,430 Posts

I got one when I had my local hardware store order a yankee screwdriver 20 years ago. They ordered the wrong thing. But it was so cool that I kept it. I worked as a maintenance mechanic at the time and carried my tools in a leather shoulder pouch. Carrying a cordless drill was tiring so my push drill got a lot of use.

Haven't used it in years though. Since I don't have to walk to every repair job anymore, I just bring my cordless drill now.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,390 Times in 6,201 Posts

Still have two here but since the improvement of the battery powered tools, I haven't used either in a while.
Good tools to have for circumstances like long term power outages though.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,282 Times in 3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
I love my Yankee #41 Push Drill. I got mine off Ebay for about 20 bucks including 7 fluted drill bits. It will drill almost as fast as power drill and the fluted drill bits are stored in the handle. I use it all the time for starting screws in wood. I usually screw in the screws with my Yankee screwdriver(another ingenious traditional tool).

Who else uses a #41 Push Drill?
I have 3 different brands and sizes. I bought a 1/4" bit holder that matches the ball detent holder for each one. More practicable than the issued bits.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 PM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 4,106 Times in 2,161 Posts

I have an antique one I inherited. It is great for those small jobs up on a ladder.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,427 Times in 44,882 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I don't have the Yankee. But I have a modern cheapo that has gotten a ton of use over the last 20 years or so and is still holding up. I use it for small work when I need a quick hole. It's in the drawer with the tools right in front of me, so I grab it rather than go get a drill off the shelf. It has clockwise, reverse and lock. It gets used as a screwdriver a lot also, since it has screwdriver bits in the handle as well as a few small drill bits. I don't even know where I got it. It looks so gimmicky that I know I wouldn't have bought it.

I have a bunch of antique braces and bits. I have used them maybe twice in the last 10 years. Nice to have on hand, but I just don't end up using them. I've got an antique egg beater drill too, but I have never used it. Got it with a bunch of antique tools from an auction in the '90s back when I used to collect that stuff.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,508 Times in 848 Posts

When I was in college and when I started as an engineer, I used to get a fair amount of use out of a bell system push drill. Kind of like a yankee. But smaller And all metal. Really quick way to make a pilot hole. I bought a Makita 9.6 V drill, when I was in college and that was state of the art- that probally prevented me from using hand drills more than I did.

Never cared for egg beater and Brest drills. Kids had fun playing with them, and I’ve saved a few from work. But I allways get an oversized hole, less so with the Brest drill.

I have a hatred for brace and bits- spend way too much time on a pole drilling 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 holes in treated southerN yellow pine. We had one gas powered drill, and I had an inverter to run a hole hog, but it’s use was prohibited on power poles ( telco and CATV piles were fair game, as were poles not yet set.)

When you work in the utility business, you actually learn to select braces based on bit size- you use a smaller swing to drill pole steps(1/2”) than say A 3/4“ bolt.

I’ve also got a cole drill- used it a few times on towers when I needed one or two holes. So much easier to position than a mag drill. It will easily drill 1/2-5/8 “ holes in 3/16 or 1/4” mild steel- which is what I usually used it for- putting air terminals on the top of towers. I fricking hate hoisting mag drills up towers- especially the giant Milwaukee’s. And the positioning it is a PITA. And I’ve won a few bets from people who think you can’t drill steel by hand.