Bay windows as a defensive feature? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 03-17-2020, 01:00 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,465 Times in 2,686 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Don't generalize. That is your wife. Not all wives are the same.

My kid loves crawling up into my second story shooting ports. 8"x48" vertical windows set into wedge shaped openings in a 24" thick wall, her room is the third floor with 360 degree windows looking down on everything which she loves. So far she hasn't figured out that her skylight is actually an opening hatch for the rooftop fighting position....which I'm glad of.

And my wife likes the lack of windows on the ground floor because that is where our bedroom is. We actually used to have some slit windows on the ground floor too but when we moved our bedroom down there she convinced me to block those off.

Perhaps in order to have a purpose built prepper house you also need a purpose built prepper wife and kid
Only those who understand the grief and loss of what an unsecured home can bring will appreciate what Iím saying.
Back then I was young and had my head up my arse not knowing anything about securing a home, or imaging anything bad would happen, and my wife and son died by machete when the farm was raided.

It takes some men personal experience to start learning, thatís why when in the field or training guys and something went wrong because of bad preparation I ask, Ď Are you learning yet Ď

A man shouldnít be in the business of building a family if he hasnít sorted out security. Your head doesnít belong in your arse man, unless you want to suffer and live with huge regret and pain for the rest of your life.

I didnít put one through my skull, I started learning.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,335 Times in 803 Posts

That's a good point about generalizing Aerindale.

If I may ask Rett, where are you?

We're both very much interested in a fortified home, but we also don't want to advertise that it's fortified. The last thing we want is to draw unnecessary attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,620 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Such silliness didn't impress the Germans in 1940.
ACTUALLY, the fixed fortifications impressed the hell out of the Germans such that then did NOT attack the Maginot line. They flanked it thru Belgium/Netherlands. The Frogs, for political reasons (boy is that familiar) failed to extend their lines along the N border to the Channel.

The Germans were forced to attack fortifications in Belgium/Netherlands but thru skill, luck and the inept defenders were able to quickly punch thru and flank the "Allies".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 01:12 PM
High Concept

Thanked 7,465 Times in 2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
That's a good point about generalizing Aerindale.

If I may ask Rett, where are you?

We're both very much interested in a fortified home, but we also don't want to advertise that it's fortified. The last thing we want is to draw unnecessary attention.
I was in Africa many years ago, but the lesson remains the same no matter when or where people are. Secure your family. It’s a man’s first and highest responsibility, we can’t have our head up our arse and think everything will be fine.
You can’t be swayed by anyone from your main responsibility, if you don’t own it by conviction, then forget it.

You don’t want to be haunted like I been haunted man. A whole family and future taken away, and you don’t get to change things, you just live with it, and remembering hurts everyday.

It’s starts with getting in the mindset first. You get the mindset by imagination, and I don’t mean to be cruel, but imagine a gang of killers and rapists attacking your home while you are away some place, imagine the worst.

Is bay windows enough protection for your family at this point?

If the thought of laughing, drunken murderous scum having fun with your family is unbearably real, then you are almost in the mindset. That is the biggest wake up right there.

This is mentally fortifying yourself against apathy and being complacent, and physical fortifications will follow. There is no mental preparation for the alternative.

There is real evil out there, and you can’t afford to be a failure. Let that drive you to learn about real security. Not pretend security that some company wants to sell you, they are a joke mostly.

A friend fitted a security door that had external hinges, the pins could be knocked out. The door could be easily kicked off the frame anyway. The whole timber frame could be kicked out.

Most houses today are built for a view of outside, not built for security.

I designed my house similar to a Roman house only with more modern technology and bigger. In concept it is Roman however. The whole landscape around it is built as a defence, even against vehicles.

Do you notice any windows on the outside of a Roman house? The Romans didn’t look out, they weren’t interested, they looked in to their families, and even had an internal garden. They had their own water catchment, mine is 40,000 gallons in two tanks.

The Romans had a whole interior domestic life, whereas today people look out to a life, the home is something to leave to have a life. Romans built their homes like they built their forts, with security being the primary concern. They only looked outwards for threats, not the view.

My doors can’t be kicked in or battered in, or pulled off with vehicle. And a whole host of other defences are in place, not just passive physical defences.
Even if they get through the door, there is a long narrow corridor with two other doors in it. Single file only, with serious defences.

Windows, have them on the inside.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 PM
Hunter

If I can get the Mrs. on board with I'll absolutely go full Roman. But I can't keep her safe if she refuses to live with me. I want a castle in the woods. She wants a townhouse in a city. The closest I'll get is a fortified house.

And once again everyone, I'm not going to build a house with bay windows and pat myself on the back for magically being invulnerable. The plan is for the entire structure to be resistant to small arms fire and as fireproof as possible. The bay windows are a feature of that overall plan to allow people inside the house to engage attackers within a wider field of view and fire. I DO NOT plan to hold out against a horde or well trained and equipped teams. I plan to run like hell from those. I DO plan to be safe from opportunistic aggressors.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 23,546 Times in 6,752 Posts

Quote:
If I can get the Mrs. on board with I'll absolutely go full Roman. But I can't keep her safe if she refuses to live with me. I want a castle in the woods. She wants a townhouse in a city. The closest I'll get is a fortified house.

And once again everyone, I'm not going to build a house with bay windows and pat myself on the back for magically being invulnerable. The plan is for the entire structure to be resistant to small arms fire and as fireproof as possible. The bay windows are a feature of that overall plan to allow people inside the house to engage attackers within a wider field of view and fire. I DO NOT plan to hold out against a horde or well trained and equipped teams. I plan to run like hell from those. I DO plan to be safe from opportunistic aggressors.
Yes. I do live in a castle in the woods but I won't give you crap if you can't go that far. Everyone has to prep to the level they feel is best.

For instance, I plan for the horde but not the seal team attack.

So I will say this, a conventional bay window is far from an ideal fighting design.

But its not the worst either.

The lower floor window in this pic no longer exists.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Hunter

Nice! That's an all around awesome picture too.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 01:34 AM
Abnormality biased.

Yeah. I like the pic too. Its several years old and doesn't reflect some of the new additions and improvements but I like how the place looks cloaked in fog and snow so I still use it.

Instead of Roman, I use the Medieval Bastle house as my historical model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 AM

Homes built in the 18th century from field stone had walls that in some cases were 20+ inches thick.....the window wells were flared out to the inside making them a much wider opening on the inside wall of the house for defensive purposes also some had wooden shutter type boards that could be closed for protection.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,590 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
Only those who understand the grief and loss of what an unsecured home can bring will appreciate what Iím saying.
Back then I was young and had my head up my arse not knowing anything about securing a home, or imaging anything bad would happen, and my wife and son died by machete when the farm was raided.

It takes some men personal experience to start learning, thatís why when in the field or training guys and something went wrong because of bad preparation I ask, Ď Are you learning yet Ď

A man shouldnít be in the business of building a family if he hasnít sorted out security. Your head doesnít belong in your arse man, unless you want to suffer and live with huge regret and pain for the rest of your life.

I didnít put one through my skull, I started learning.
Iíve worked with too many South Africans and Rhodesians, Iíve heard some stories (for they donít usually tell them). Iím very sorry for your loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 17,607 Times in 5,458 Posts

Quote:
Here's some extremely basic representations of what I'm talking about. The one-man position is exposed and vulnerable, like you said. I'm thinking more of the three-man position. These positions would obviously be erected AFTER the fecal matter impacts the rotary air circulator.
The way you diagranmed it for your three shooters doesn't give that much more of a field of fire. The benefit of the bay window would be the ability to shoot down the length of your outside wall in case attackers got in close. To do so requires being IN the bay window.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:29 AM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,141 Posts
Default It May Kinda Resemble a Bay Window...

but it's not really a bay window most wives would appreciate:
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:02 PM
SoJer

Thanked 6,524 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
...Secure your family. It’s a man’s first and highest responsibility, ...if you don’t own it by conviction, then forget it.

..mentally fortifying yourself against apathy and being complacent, and physical fortifications will follow...

There is real evil out there, and you can’t afford to be a failure.
Just wanted to re-post this to Highlight and Champion. SO Spot On. Truly sorry to hear of your horrible 'lesson', as well. I, personally, believe They will both 'wake up in a happier place', though, so.. All is not lost for them, forever..

Meantime, Excellent suggestions, and Awesome entrance-design.. Brilliant, as are many of Aerindels' implementations of forethought. And, Thank You both for sharing, as it's Always preferable to learn from 'history' (others, included..) and experience, vs having to learn everything in your Own 'School of Hard Knocks'.. Since, some of those knocks, you can't easily recover from.

jd
Old 03-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Quote:
Here's some extremely basic representations of what I'm talking about. The one-man position is exposed and vulnerable, like you said. I'm thinking more of the three-man position. These positions would obviously be erected AFTER the fecal matter impacts the rotary air circulator.
The way you diagranmed it for your three shooters doesn't give that much more of a field of fire. The benefit of the bay window would be the ability to shoot down the length of your outside wall in case attackers got in close. To do so requires being IN the bay window.
The way I sketched it is how it would manned for repelling an assault. For removing stealthier threats that made it to an exterior wall a defender could still get into the window, provided the fighting position inside it was built properly. Which is something I hadn't considered.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 11,076 Times in 4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Just put a turret on top of the house.
CIWS preferably.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 9,053 Times in 3,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Just put a turret on top of the house.
Or make the roof deck surrounded by a crenelated wall... call it a decorative planter.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:36 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Or make the roof deck surrounded by a crenelated wall... call it a decorative planter.
Huge fan of flat roofs, roof decks, etc, Whatever it takes to make the top of your house a fighting platform.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,750 Times in 8,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
but it's not really a bay window most wives would appreciate:
Saw quite a few of those in Normandy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM

It's a good idea in the strategic areas of the house for sure.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 PM

Concrete walls filled and go with a roof of concrete shingles... That way you can't be burned out and it still looks formal. My first thought if I was attacking is if somebody I was attacking with was shot we'd burn them out. I guess you have to think like an idiot/bad guy. I would also set up areas where it looks like they have a good place to duck/hide but its really a good kill zone. Force them into choke points etc.