Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 60 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 07:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 08:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 08:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 07:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 02:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 09:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 09:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 10:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 10:56 PM

Old 12-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,002 Times in 4,833 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunf View Post
I am not accusing you of anything. Just stating my opinion.

You keep saying that for the last 30 years your dream was to live like this?
So in all that time, you did manage to dig a hole in the ground, build some gate, make a couple of videos like all the kids do these days "youtubers" (alright you did not make them but sure you were proud as punch that your Hold is featured in them) ... and manage to develop a paranoia, ran away , crawled to your hole and then loose few toes?

So for the 30 years you keep dreaming about permanently living up there, then a big moment comes, you actually make that decision, (you announce it here like it is a newest blockbuster movie, or Mars landing, and then complain if someone dares not to agree with you and with what you're doing so far), and you know you have all intention to stay there permanently and yet you even fail to have three basics ready in order to survive for when the snow falls. FOOD, SHELTER and FIRE!

OK, you might have food, some shelter, but you definitely do not have fire?!
Am I missing something here? Man ... you claim to be a guru, an expert in this?
As I said earlier, judging by your posts and actions so far, you will not survive one full winter up there. You are not capable of that.

You claim that you were up there most of the summers over the last 20 or 30 years.
OK, lets get few simple things in order;

1. One summer clear the area where you want to build
2. Next summer dig out foundation
3. Next summer pour the foundation and organize delivery of logs or cut them your self if you have any suitable, debark them and leave to dry. Or if not logs, then any other suitable building material.
4. Next summer start building the cabin
5. Next summer keep building the damn thing!
6. By the sixth summer you would have your cabin done. Insulated, covered, winter ready ..., now you would have a civilized dwelling to live in and then you can camouflage it etc.
7. Next summer keep adding to it, additional buildings, sheds etc.
8. Next summer, if you are bored or keen that much, then start digging some hole in the ground, or a bunker or a Hold or whatever you want to call it

You don't have to scrutinize or answer any point at all I am not interested nor am I debating with you ... that is general plan and general guide

But, do one thing for God's sake! PLAN THINGS!

Do not jump from one thing to another, starting million projects and not finishing any one of them, like a headless chicken and then come here to the forum whinging "ohhh, I wish there is someone to help me" ...

Just my personal opinion and some constructive feedback - NOT trolling as you claim.
Quote:
There you go.

You know nothing about me, my age, gender, current or former profession, am I amateur, location, if I live off grid or if I am a survivalist - NOTHING. ZERO, which is exactly my goal. I do not need to prove anything to you, I do not care for "likes" or how many "thank you" I get.
I just am who I want you to think I am.

You are missing the point, I am not calling him out, I am not humiliating him, I am helping him. I do not expect thanks for that nor I want them. I do not even want him to publicly acknowledge the fact that just I might be right in some regards.

I want him to hear me, to read what I write, which he did well and truly and now it is up to him if he wants to reassess his approach, ability and capability.

So who is disruptive now?
Lets discuss his successes and failures. That is the topic.

For example you did not pick on the fact that he ran out of nails and screws shortly after "permanently" moving up there???
Basics one on one .....
Quote:
Mike again, you did not comment about any facts I wrote and summarise from your posts rather than observing what seems to be most important thing to you, whom I thanked and who thanked you.
Can you please stop, focus, and respond to my actual writing which is 100% related to your posts and is an attempt to discuss your posts. That is the purpose of any forum, including this one, a discussion. A discussion which in return attracts visitors, increases visitors etc.
Discussion sometimes means difference of opinions, not necessarily just agreeing and praising someone's stupidity. Its called being individual and have a voice/opinion.
Otherwise we might all be sheep and have the same opinion and voice.
Well we are not sheep, your are proof of that, with your own individual opinion, ideas etc, who’s been trying for the past 30 years to achieve his dream.
So take the advice, take the constructive criticism, allow others to dare think differently, allow possibility that you might be wrong sometimes and that we are NOT your enemies.
Again I really hate wasting time even answering such as you grunf. For many reasons some of which I have told over and over. You write, act and post like a troll. You are very anonymous which in itself is not bad but one more big sign of a troll. You try to sound All wise and helpful but really are not.

Much of what you write is provoking and sure seems to want me to rage back at least some of what you wrote. Many should be able to see that and the parts that are the most abusive. Should I post back the way you have grunf?? Such as blah, blah, blah which you have posted twice now in this thread.

And how am I supposed to respond to this also which you posted >> "crawled to your hole and then loose few toes?"

I have had trolls and other abusive posters say the exact same thing especially "crawled back to your hole!"

How I could waste a great deal more time answering everyone of your rants and outright LIES! Such as what you wrote > "OK, you might have food, some shelter, but you definitely do not have fire?!
Am I missing something here? Man ... you claim to be a guru, an expert in this?
As I said earlier, judging by your posts and actions so far, you will not survive one full winter up there. You are not capable of that."

I "might" have some food? You did not believe or missed when I have posted more than once that I DO have now stored on my land in boxes, a 55 gallon steel mice and bear proof drum and inside of my large F-350 truck at Least a one year supply of food. I won't know exactly how much until next summer when I go thru it all and possibly put stuff on shelves. More likely just keep a lot of the canned and freeze dried food in boxes, in the 55 gallon steel drum etc.

HOW many people anywhere, even on this "survivalist" forum can truly say - write that they have at Least a one year's supply of food?

And I have "some" shelter?? My fanciest comfortable shelter is the camper trailer. Which was perfect in the summer until mid October when it got a lot colder. I did get it warm whenever I ran the generator and heaters. I could buy a lot of propane to heat the camper also and I might do that someday but will see how expensive. I have huge amounts of firewood. I have answered you about having fire when I posted the photos of my woodstoves. How I could go on and on explaining over and over as I have posted about the woodstoves etc. etc. in my bunker etc. etc. I also own two more propane stoves, one even with an oven !

As people can see I have not told Everything but maybe I will someday. I DO own and have stored away in 4 sheds, the bunker, my truck, steel drums etc. etc. MUCH stuff = gear, food of all kinds, 16,000 vegetable seeds that I have briefly mentioned before sealed in large cans from Augason Farms. My strongest warmest shelter is the bunker which is mainly a very secure very strong storage and Storm shelter.

More misinformation when you posted in one of the posts above that I quoted about my running out of nails and screws. I did NOT run out of nails. I still have at least twenty pounds of nails, spikes etc. I Did go to Saratoga, WY near the end of October and I bought another five hundred dollars worth of supplies, plastic sheeting, more stove pipe and many various sizes of wood screws. I do Not need anymore nails or wood screws now or maybe ever.
!
I was going to tell a Great deal more whenever I was going to post the twenty new photos but you insist on ridiculing, harassing and trying to keep convincing everyone that I am a Failure! One of your quotes grunf > "Lets discuss his successes and failures." Similar to rabid haters, harassers, ridiculers etc. you focus on any perceived Failures you and a few others Think I have had. Ignore the successes. Even the loss of two of my toes might seem like a failure but I have to consider it to be a great albeit a painful learning experience.

And All that I have time to spend / waste answering you grunf and any others who might join the lets gang up on MMM in this thread now such as a few who used to like my posts such as n1 etc and "good beer"

Again are there NO other people on this huge forum or anywhere on the net whom you wish to dispense your great "wisdom" ? grunf?

And you grunf and maybe it is a few others like the way you post and in my view it is very harsh, abusive LIES just one out of many of your Posts > " Do not jump from one thing to another, starting million projects and not finishing any one of them, like a headless chicken and then come here to the forum whinging "ohhh, I wish there is someone to help me" ...

Just my personal opinion and some constructive feedback - NOT trolling as you claim"

Another lie from grunf >

Quote:
I Please lets stay on topic and discuss Mike's 30 year effort to become survivalist and in particular his latest failure and refusal, first of all in admitting to himself that he failed this time, which is the first step in any adjustment he needs to do and then his refusal to take anyone's advice.
I read all the advice specifically from mtnairkin and cavedweller. I refuse to do what they suggest such as move my truck and camper because it is pretty much Impossible now until June or so whenever the state of WY re-opens the locked gate six miles down from my land. State highway 70 is a groomed snowmobile, ski trail all winter until they plow it back open usually the end of May or in June depending on the snowpack. And in your prejudiced warped mind I failed but How specifically? I made a decision even I suppose a change in plans Nothing more NO failure. I decided I could stay and be very uncomfortable until probably June or go back to town and prepare more. Mainly gain back the twenty or so pounds that I lost. I cannot afford to lose that much weight and in future years even on my land I do not plan on losing twenty or so pounds again.

I also had a decision to make to do "business" which really is NO ones business but my own. Although I did mention oil checks etc. to try to explain a bit more. grunf's questions seem more like an interrogation where I am found guilty of failure but go ahead all of you who wish to believe someone / something like grunf who is a nameless, faceless harassing whatever you wish to call him / It. Instead of believing me who some have said I am an open book, possibly sharing too much. And proving and backing up about everything with photos and even some friends who sometimes back me up... And the most recent one from FL who could help also if he wishes. Watch Ryder knows how much of a failure I am also from his Living on my land for two different summers. Well more than enough time wasted trying to answer something such as grunf…. I might post new photos someday but that is my choice and I have posted plenty of pics at least for this year anyway...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 AM

Grunf, Rome wasn't built in a day. MMmike only has limited time each year to work on building. I believe he could stay in the bunker over winter but would rather get a above ground cabin completed for normal living. I wouldn't want to live all winter in a bunker unless I had to. Also he said he had town business to take care of.

MMMike, I am sorry if what I wrote above is not correct. I don't know your actual reasons so I am kinda guessing. No offense is intended.

I bought 10 acres of woods in a remote area a couple years back. My father ask me my plans this year in January. I showed him my list of what needs done. When I returned for Thanksgiving my father ask what I completed. In 10 months I have just started to make a dent to the list. Everything is so much harder building and planning on your own. One missing part or tool or bolt requires a all day trip to town, or stopping a project until you can get what you need to continue. I also am not as remote or living in such extreme conditions. I have mad respect for Mike because I wouldn't want to try what he is doing in his area. My easier area is difficult enough for me.

Grunf, I would like to see pictures or read about your wilderness retreat. It must be truly amazing. O you don't have pics? You don't have a retreat? Could you handle the constant criticism? Mike might not meet all his goals this year or even next year, but he is trying and also showing people his wins and losses. Which takes big balls.

Thanks Mike.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:34 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
Grunf, Rome wasn't built in a day. MMmike only has limited time each year to work on building. I believe he could stay in the bunker over winter but would rather get a above ground cabin completed for normal living. I wouldn't want to live all winter in a bunker unless I had to. Also he said he had town business to take care of.

MMMike, I am sorry if what I wrote above is not correct. I don't know your actual reasons so I am kinda guessing. No offense is intended.

I bought 10 acres of woods in a remote area a couple years back. My father ask me my plans this year in January. I showed him my list of what needs done. When I returned for Thanksgiving my father ask what I completed. In 10 months I have just started to make a dent to the list. Everything is so much harder building and planning on your own. One missing part or tool or bolt requires a all day trip to town, or stopping a project until you can get what you need to continue. I also am not as remote or living in such extreme conditions. I have mad respect for Mike because I wouldn't want to try what he is doing in his area. My easier area is difficult enough for me.

Grunf, I would like to see pictures or read about your wilderness retreat. It must be truly amazing. O you don't have pics? You don't have a retreat? Could you handle the constant criticism? Mike might not meet all his goals this year or even next year, but he is trying and also showing people his wins and losses. Which takes big balls.

Thanks Mike.
Thank you Grizzly Guy for a great post. And offense? You just posted the opposite of some, mainly the way grunf posts. You must have at least quickly read my posts since you got it almost perfect. I would rather get an above ground cabin built for "normal" living but my "cabin" for normal even what I would call fancy living is the camper trailer. It has more than I need such as Air conditioning and a refrigerator. I don't need either of those and I keep stuff inside the fridge to keep it from freezing as I did most of October and Nov.

I do have town business what I call city slicker business which I don't like to do but it is necessary. When I get it all done which could take until May or so to get Everything done even going to a doctor and dentist a bit more, but get it done and then I can mostly forget about doing more. Unless getting a drivers license and such which is not just a one time do it and be done.

And while I could IF necessary I also don't truly want to live in my underground all the time for months at a time. It is dark since it is almost totally underground - nine feet deep in the back. There is a possibly unbreakable window near the front steel door I also obtained from a junk yard etc. which gives light especially in the afternoon.

And here is what I have built so far. It is one of my "million" projects which is NOT true as one offensive poster posted. I have no more than 4 main projects and as anyone with land can likely affirm one does have more than enough work to do and more than enough projects to do on ones own land. Especially if one wishes to live on the land full time.

Here are some pics that you and a few others might not have seen. I was going to use this as a full time cabin but I have decided to make it into a greenhouse cabin possibly with a bed and definitely a woodstove in it. Although it is on my sunny hillside with windows facing east and south so plenty of sun shine. The sun does shine a lot especially hot on the hillside in the summer. I can and will run plastic pipe from my upper spring to this cabin. Lots to do and I will keep doing especially try to build the most in the snow free months. Here are more pics which Might be the last pics I post for quite a while >>>

Here is a photo of my steel beam cabin which I likely will just make into a very strong greenhouse storage visitors cabin. Two strong steel beams and many large logs make this possibly snowpack proof. Last winter was an unusually deep terribly heavy snowpack as some have told me but my bunker and this steel beam cabin all survived with No damage. >

The red beam shown is the steel I beam with ten large logs I put on top of two steel beams. It has survived 7 hard ten foot or so snow pack winters and possibly will survive another hundred winters.

The following pic shows the inside of the steel beam greenhouse cabin. The steel beam is black supported by 2x4's. I with WR's help slid the heavy steel beam across the 2x4's that late summer of 2014.

This is the back of the A-frame shed I built in 1990 by myself like usual. It has since gotten damaged some from the terribly heavy snow pack but is still standing as I saw this past summer of 2019.

This is the back trap door made from a salvaged steel door from a large tank from an abandoned factory. Finished this bunker mostly in 2006 began digging the 20 x 10 x 9 foot deep hole in 1995. I also built 4 sheds during that ten years and I built the half finished steel beam greenhouse cabin the summer of 2014 some with WR's help.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:52 AM
I love this forum

Finally!
THANK you Mike for your last response to me. In written words, not just as a click!

For the first time you answered some of the points I raised. Despite me and some others tried to get some discussion with you previously, all ended up in you writing "friends" in inverted commas and labeling people as trolls.

I then took a different path to communication, wanting to provoke you in to discussion, wanting to get to your head past that tunnel vision you have about and in regards to everyone who is not singing you praises. That was my tactic. You did engage after that, although in insults and labeling me and others, but never the less, you engaged. There was a response.

And then this last post of yours is most calm and the least labeling, despite you calling me a liar etc, doesn't matter ... it's just a water of a duck's back to me and I am willing to take more labeling as long you at least try to engage and accept that it is not all about likes, about thank you's, about singing you praises etc.
I did not lie, what's the point of lying about something or someone I don't even know?
As stated above, I exaggerated on some points/things in order to get a reaction from you, to get you engaged in a discussion. Not to harm you, not to disrespect you ... its all a process. Action and reaction.

I wish you well, I really do, that's why I keep posting here in your topic and not someone else's topic, because you are the ONLY one here who's been trying so hard for the past 30 years to achieve this dream of yours and still are not there.

It pains me to see your "failures" (using this word in not a bad way against you, but as honestly as I can, would probably be better to use a "set back" but that's too politically correct to me). You deserve success, you deserve to make it. But in order to do so, please accept a critique, even bad ones, ...you learn from all of them. Don't dismiss and label people as liars or trolls or your enemies just because they dare to think differently.

Last year, or was it this year (can't be bothered checking now), I even tried sending you private messages etc, trying to communicate in a civilized way with you, offering you help, among other things advice in regards to how to hide your identity online after you complained about people hacking you etc), and the result of it was you just ridiculing me even more here in public. See, every coin has two sides, not just your side...

Hopefully we can now continue in a more civilized manner.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 AM
I love this forum

Grizzly, I do have photos, videos etc.
But posting them online would go against every principal of my quest to stay as anonymous as I can.
Believe me or not, its up to you, really doesn't matter to me either way.

I could now dig out at least few hundred photos of someone else's hideout etc and post them as mine in order to keep you happy here and "prove" to you that I am a "real deal", and you probably would not notice they are not mine ... but what's the point in that?

Its easier just to tell you the truth.

I am who I am. And thanks for not labeling me in any bad way.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:15 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Finally!
THANK you Mike for your last response to me. In written words, not just as a click!

For the first time you answered some of the points I raised. Despite me and some others tried to get some discussion with you previously, all ended up in you writing "friends" in inverted commas and labeling people as trolls.

I then took a different path to communication, wanting to provoke you in to discussion, wanting to get to your head past that tunnel vision you have about and in regards to everyone who is not singing you praises. That was my tactic. You did engage after that, although in insults and labeling me and others, but never the less, you engaged. There was a response.

And then this last post of yours is most calm and the least labeling, despite you calling me a liar etc, doesn't matter ... it's just a water of a duck's back to me and I am willing to take more labeling as long you at least try to engage and accept that it is not all about likes, about thank you's, about singing you praises etc.
I did not lie, what's the point of lying about something or someone I don't even know?
As stated above, I exaggerated on some points/things in order to get a reaction from you, to get you engaged in a discussion. Not to harm you, not to disrespect you ... its all a process. Action and reaction.

I wish you well, I really do, that's why I keep posting here in your topic and not someone else's topic, because you are the ONLY one here who's been trying so hard for the past 30 years to achieve this dream of yours and still are not there.

It pains me to see your "failures" (using this word in not a bad way against you, but as honestly as I can, would probably be better to use a "set back" but that's too politically correct to me). You deserve success, you deserve to make it. But in order to do so, please accept a critique, even bad ones, ...you learn from all of them. Don't dismiss and label people as liars or trolls or your enemies just because they dare to think differently.

Last year, or was it this year (can't be bothered checking now), I even tried sending you private messages etc, trying to communicate in a civilized way with you, offering you help, among other things advice in regards to how to hide your identity online after you complained about people hacking you etc), and the result of it was you just ridiculing me even more here in public. See, every coin has two sides, not just your side...

Hopefully we can now continue in a more civilized manner.
I explained things as best as I could in post #1181 and you grunf are the only one I labeled and consider a troll. In a previous posts I and hardcalibres showed that.

And now you have the audacity and insolence to write that I have ridiculed you grunf. I am not the one constantly berating and trying to make me look like a failure. Everything I have done has eventually worked out. Problems come up and I might change my plans such as leaving my land or staying and getting weaker although I would have survived well since I do have a great deal of food, water etc. up there. I simply realized I must go back to a city again to get stuff taken care of as I have posted over and over.

There is No we can now continue since you have made up your mind that I have failed. I am not certain what a few think and it really doesn't matter what you or anyone thinks of what I have done or plan to do. I simply do what I need and many times I do what I want to do. I share what I have done and most accept it. They don't constantly post the way you have. And all I must waste time on about this.... Go bother someone else in someone else's thread. I really don't think that most care to read what you have posted. And I am done trying to answer and make it as clear as possible what I do and what you and many try to do to me, which is you and maybe one or two others try to embarrass and make me look like a failure. Please just go away grunf and stop invading this blog - long information pic thread!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 02:40 AM

Grunf, I have nothing against you, I just think you have been a little harsh. I understand staying anonymous. I'm not posting pics of my retreat online or using my name. I respect MMMike because of his showing his life. I've got a lot of ideas from his post and pics, and also think he is a good guy. His bunker is a huge win, but I also see things I would do different. I think his location and weather are a real hindrance in his ability to complete projects sooner. I wish I could go help him but I don't have the money. Plus I need to build my own house next year. So I try to support him online if I can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:35 AM
I love this forum

Mike, thank you again.
What you wrote and what I wrote is for all to see. I offered you an "olive branch", wished you all the best etc etc ... and again you dismissed it, kicked me away like a rabid dog.
Despite that I still wish you all the best and I wish that you manage to finish and live your dream.

Just for the record, this is not a blog. It is one of many topics on this public forum, its not your private property or your private blog or a website.
If you need help setting up your own website or a blog, I can help you with that as well (same as many others here I'm sure), then you can chase people away as you please, including me.
Not here....
Topics are there to discuss them, to exchange opinions and argue the points. That is the point of the forums, any forum, its reason for existence, core existence.
I will post whenever and whatever I want to (staying in the limits of forum rules) and there is nothing you can do about that.

Lets go back to your topic.
Why is that stove out in the snow, did you had many, many more tools and items buried under the snow and are not able to find them until the summer come? And why were you unable to finish cover over your caravan?
Old 12-08-2019, 04:50 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,334 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:

>sniped for brevity<

Just for the record, this is not a blog. It is one of many topics on this public forum, its not your private property or your private blog or a website.
If you need help setting up your own website or a blog, I can help you with that as well (same as many others here I'm sure), then you can chase people away as you please, including me.
Not here....
Topics are there to discuss them, to exchange opinions and argue the points. That is the point of the forums, any forum, its reason for existence, core existence.
I will post whenever and whatever I want to (staying in the limits of forum rules) and there is nothing you can do about that.

Grunf, this is true, especially the part that I bolded, but don’t be offended if Mike decides to put you on ignore, and all your future postings addressed to him fall on deaf ears.

Mike, I applaud you for your efforts. We have all benefitted from your publishing them here because your story has been a study in what to do and what not to do.

You have gotten lots of support, well wishes, prayers, and I am sure a lot of silent admiration for your efforts and the gonads to put it all Out There for the world to see, including your mistakes as well as your triumphs.

Because many here have gotten to know you and care for you, you have also gotten plenty of unsolicited advice. Some have been gentle--and not so gentle--suggestions and some, I am sure, have been silent unspoken “OMG, why is he doing (xyz)!?’ Or, “I wish I had the guts to do that!”

Then you have some folks like grunf who, unfortunately, is having the effect of sandpaper toilet paper…and who also may be skirting the borders of trolling without actually breaking any rules. As you know, outright trolls are normally dealt with swiftly but in some cases, it takes time because the process sometimes involves more than one mod looking at the situation. Sometimes it just can’t be instantaneous because we are busy herding cats, working long hours, or up to our neck in alligators, or enjoying time with family and friends.

Meanwhile, I hope you continue posting, and please consider putting those you don’t care to hear from on ignore.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 05:11 AM
I love this forum

well said ... in a way
Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,334 Times in 624 Posts

Thanks, Grunf, I think. lol

Meanwhile, I hope you consider easing the delivery of your message. Sometimes driving a nail with a hammer is a wasted effort when that nail hits a knot and bends. Continued pounding won't work.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Mike, thank you again.
What you wrote and what I wrote is for all to see. I offered you an "olive branch", wished you all the best etc etc ... and again you dismissed it, kicked me away like a rabid dog.
Despite that I still wish you all the best and I wish that you manage to finish and live your dream.

Not here....

Lets go back to your topic.
Why is that stove out in the snow, did you had many, many more tools and items buried under the snow and are not able to find them until the summer come? And why were you unable to finish cover over your caravan?
Posting so nicely Now after far too many posts that sounded like you are a rabid dog / troll / harasser etc. Very disrespectful, harsh etc. I have had All kinds of people post, send me private messages and treat me in All kinds of ways since January 2009 when I first joined this S-boards. Actually mostly good and I remember the best people well although the worst nasty possibly jealous or whatever "people" are not easy to forget either. I keep coming back here to answer questions, post new pics and help if possible. Also to make a small part of the internet interesting if nothing else.

Extremely few such as you grunf and you can keep asking me questions if you just won't post like I am stupid, if you won't ever post about me "crawling back to my hole in the ground" and so much else similar to that in your past posts. You make me think of an invader posting so awful much and in my view ruining this thread which is at least somewhat my blog no matter what you think.

But since you did ask a question or two I will answer even though I do not especially like answering a poster like you. I left the stove out in the snow because it is a large very heavy cast iron stove. The Florida guy helped me put the stove there, even greatly helped me put it back together. He can vouch and back me up if he wishes but I have read from a message from him that he told me to ignore trolls. Ignoring anyone is not the way I am and I have never put anyone on ignore no matter how clever, how nasty or anything they post. I just don't like to miss anything and usually trolls etc. etc. hang themselves. Except the most clever ones who skirt the forum rules....

About the Why I was unable to finish the cover over my caravan would take a lot of writing and trying to explain. I likely will tell much more if / when I create a new long pic thread and not sure when I will do that but I likely will someday.

Never heard anyone call my camper trailer a "caravan" but anyway I did try to hire a guy from near Encampment and he did come up but he would not tell me anything except tell me that oh yeah, he would help me. He helped me mainly by helping me get the lumber from the lumberyard in Saratoga since he knew those guys well. I rode in the large truck guiding the driver to my land and then he dumped the plywood and other lumber at the beginning of my driveway in late September.

So I had little time to put up walls and build a roof by myself - building all by myself again despite my trying to hire someone. It has worked out ok no matter what anyone thinks. I am not going to go on and on trying to explain Everything. Do others explain Everything that they do, how they build etc. Most people have relatives, friends or they hire people to build for them.

Anyway, this is painful in several ways trying to explain to someone I really doubt truly cares about the answers I give. Someone such as grunf who sees me as a failure no matter what I post or explain what happened....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Grunf, this is true, especially the part that I bolded, but don’t be offended if Mike decides to put you on ignore, and all your future postings addressed to him fall on deaf ears.

Mike, I applaud you for your efforts. We have all benefitted from your publishing them here because your story has been a study in what to do and what not to do.

You have gotten lots of support, well wishes, prayers, and I am sure a lot of silent admiration for your efforts and the gonads to put it all Out There for the world to see, including your mistakes as well as your triumphs.

Because many here have gotten to know you and care for you, you have also gotten plenty of unsolicited advice. Some have been gentle--and not so gentle--suggestions and some, I am sure, have been silent unspoken “OMG, why is he doing (xyz)!?’ Or, “I wish I had the guts to do that!”

Then you have some folks like grunf who, unfortunately, is having the effect of sandpaper toilet paper…and who also may be skirting the borders of trolling without actually breaking any rules. As you know, outright trolls are normally dealt with swiftly but in some cases, it takes time because the process sometimes involves more than one mod looking at the situation. Sometimes it just can’t be instantaneous because we are busy herding cats, working long hours, or up to our neck in alligators, or enjoying time with family and friends.

Meanwhile, I hope you continue posting, and please consider putting those you don’t care to hear from on ignore.

Thanks for that and I did not realize you are a moderator now. Which is fine. I have known many moderators since 2009. Most liked me and the ones from ten or so years ago were different from the ones today. Different in that they responded, even posted more which can be a good thing although I have seen a forum - a wilderness net forum where there was over moderation with one or two moderators posting in Every thread.

I don't put anyone on ignore for a few reasons. Mainly I don't like to miss anything, even nasty posts. Some nasty posts and posters help inspire to work harder and prove them wrong.
Some are simply very irritating.

Grunf for instance seems to have targeted me and just is posting far too often. Hardcalibres posted well trying to explain it. I mean it is not simply grunf's extremely harsh, sometimes nasty posts. It is also that he / she whatever has come back after a year of not posting. I mean looking at grunf's past post 18 out of 30 of his posts are just in this thread. He even posted 3 times in a couple of Watch Ryder's threads. I have never seen anything like it, especially over the past couple days grunf's over abundant posts make me feel like a target. I have had a Great deal of experience with trolls and just nasty posters in general. Not just from their posts but from private messages etc.

I likely will continue posting but after more than ten years of All kinds of posts, far too much harassment etc etc. it just makes me not want to post as much. I used to and still post only in the winter time for many reasons. Mainly I am not online during the warm months usually. And all I will go on about all of this. If grunf continues to ask me reasonable questions I might answer. I do think I have always answered questions. But it depends on if I wish to respond to some who have been actually nasty and trying to get an angry response back. If this was an unmoderated board and I have seen some of those in the distant past such as alt. survival etc. it is not good but it is very interesting to say the least.

Since 2009 I have mostly posted on this S-boards for many reasons. It is huge with many different people. I loved this place when there were many true survivalists here. As a few have said this place has changed from ten years ago. Which is ok and I am glad to just see it still around and this long pic thread still around also.

Not sure about anything I have posted about what Not to do and I truly understand if people will not or cannot do survival or build what I have built and done. Actually a lot of what I post with Real pics is what I do with what I have available. If I only have scrap lumber, rocks and dead tree trunks to work with that is what I use to build. People should look at what I have built as a possible post-apocalyptic way of what can be and what might be done someday in the future, building with what is available. Building all alone if necessary but just DOing what is necessary to survive and even thrive. Actually building a bunker / underground shelter and sheds etc. as needed but Doing it rather than going without since it can cost huge amounts of money to do things "the right way" as some think that is the Only way to build....

So take what I do or reject it I just don't care anymore. I simply post what I have done and hope people can understand what and why I have done what I have built and actually DO instead of dreaming about doing someday. Such as most seem to only dream about doing survival sometime someway someday...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:26 AM
I love this forum

Thank you for the answers. I do care if you answer or not, otherwise I would not ask.
That stove must weigh a tonne ... I had to move one of those myself and in the end I resulted in using a truck winch and a pulley setup to help me drag it where I wanted it (almost).

I explained earlier why I'm focusing on your topic.
I'll copy a part of my post if you missed it:

Quote:
... I then took a different path to communication, wanting to provoke you in to discussion, wanting to get to your head past that tunnel vision you have about and in regards to everyone who is not singing you praises. That was my tactic. You did engage after that, although in insults and labeling me and others, but never the less, you engaged. There was a response.
... As stated above, I exaggerated on some points/things in order to get a reaction from you, to get you engaged in a discussion. Not to harm you, not to disrespect you ... its all a process. Action and reaction.

As for the WR, I was and still am genuinely interested in his USA adventures.
Once after I realised he hasn't been here for a while I asked where he is and a respected homesteader told me he's banned. I will not name who told me that, it does not matter, but I was disappointed he got banned and this homesteader can confirm that if he/she wants to. WR got a good head on his shoulders ... the other reason I followed him is that he also did connect with you, and I told you already why you intrigued me so much ... plus he's former army which is another reason for my interest but I will not go in to that too much.

Hopefully that answers enough for you.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:38 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,176 Times in 12,498 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Great thread Mike, as always. I think your efforts successes and failures are a valuable resource on this forum and instead of trolling and insulting, other members should take time to learn an try to help improve your situation and the situations that others may face someday.

Your out there doing, not sitting in a nice house dreaming.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
Great thread Mike, as always. I think your efforts successes and failures are a valuable resource on this forum and instead of trolling and insulting, other members should take time to learn an try to help improve your situation and the situations that others may face someday.

Your out there doing, not sitting in a nice house dreaming.
Wow and thank you very kindly jfountain. Your kind words and realizing that grunf is / was an insulting whatever makes me like this Survivalistboards again. I have never seen any kind of poster even similar to grunf. He I assume is a he, was extremely clever and fooled many. He posted very insulting then went to trying to be nice then all over the place. I have seen every kind of person on this huge great survival forum and I have not been fooled by anyone. Not just me but I still have friends here who do advise me, mainly through private messages. They all thought grunf was a troll among other things.

I might begin working on one more long pic thread with my twenty new pics. I have posted a few new pics the past couple days but to get the full story I will post all of the new pics in order explaining each in detail. It can take me five or even many more hours to create a pic thread which this time I will post in the general disaster section.

I don't join or even look at any other survival or any other forums. I would love to meet more real survivalists even preppers in real life. Surprisingly I met two good people who did come up to my land in early October. Oalo a very nice lady who just made a very brief trip up to bring me a Christmas present which helped me since she included a couple good hand warmers which I used when walking out. And the FL guy cavedweller who helped me as much as he could the short time he was here also.

I am hoping to find someone about as good, as helpful etc. as Watch Ryder was. I hope to see him again someday but not sure if they will even let him back in the USA? Which is one more sad commentary on the state of the USA.

Even though I have the time from well this year from Dec. 1 to June 1. But I will someday soon create a long hopefully very interesting pic thread exclusive only to the Survivalistboards. Even if I am not perfect I am a survivalist / prepper who tries to be interesting if nothing else...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 07:26 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,176 Times in 12,498 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Ok. Back to the original topic....

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,745 Times in 5,650 Posts

What a pleasant chap
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post: