Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
American by Choice

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in NZ View Post
Except where upwind is downhill, in which case, many vapours (those that are more dense than air - gasoline/petrol, ammonia, LPG/natural gas, to name a few...) hug the ground and can actually travel against a light wind.
Good point, thanks for that reminder. It's been too many decades since I've been through any of that kind of training.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6471 View Post
The highways & rail lines are FULL of toxic matetials being transported 24/7 & it has been one of Homeland's greatest challenges. And there ARE no real good solutions to the threat.

How far is safe? L.E.O.'s are taught the "rule of thumb".
Hold your hand at arm's length . . .if you can't cover the spill with the end of your thumb . . .you're too close !
And the Canary rule of thumb is - where the LEO wandering around to see what is going on falls over is the edge of the FD hot zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 07:22 PM

activated charcoal should help, yes?

You can buy a 20" box fan for less than $20, a 6-pack of merv 12 filters for $40, and a bag of activated charcoal. Lay the fan intake up, put the 20"x20" filter on it, dust it with AC and stand the fan up while on and it'll hold the fan in place. You could always just duct tape the filter to the fan.

Am I wrong in thinking that would help significantly?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
activated charcoal should help, yes?

You can buy a 20" box fan for less than $20, a 6-pack of merv 12 filters for $40, and a bag of activated charcoal. Lay the fan intake up, put the 20"x20" filter on it, dust it with AC and stand the fan up while on and it'll hold the fan in place. You could always just duct tape the filter to the fan.

Am I wrong in thinking that would help significantly?

Yes, you are wrong. This would be a very bad idea in an actual chemical emergency. Thereís more to filtering chemical vapors than just activated charcoal. It would be far smarter and safer to close all doors and windows and leave your heat/ac off until the cloud dissipated.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
Yes, you are wrong. This would be a very bad idea in an actual chemical emergency. Thereís more to filtering chemical vapors than just activated charcoal. It would be far smarter and safer to close all doors and windows and leave your heat/ac off until the cloud dissipated.
oh! Thanks! I thought with AC alone I could leave all my doors and windows open and breathe deep. Thank goodness you clarified that. You sir are a saint!
Old 12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
oh! Thanks! I thought with AC alone I could leave all my doors and windows open and breathe deep. Thank goodness you clarified that. You sir are a saint!
Pay attention to those that know what they are talking about and you'll learn something.

A box fan with a furnace filter? Seriously? It's not that hard to find useful CBRN and Nuc prep info. The feds published TONS of good info during the 1st Cold War.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Pay attention to those that know what they are talking about and you'll learn something.

A box fan with a furnace filter? Seriously? It's not that hard to find useful CBRN and Nuc prep info. The feds published TONS of good info during the 1st Cold War.
I'm offering a solution to those on a budget and/or those who don't really think these things will happen, but want to have some resources available.

Isn't that the point of this site? To make do with less, just in case you don't have more?

When you go hiking in the woods, do you bring a game cart with and extra 100 pounds of gear because you're incapable of improvising with the 20# you brought with you?

You people and your condescension. Open your mind.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 33,176 Times in 12,498 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Isn't that the point of this site? To make do with less, just in case you don't have more?
No, itís actually not the point of this site. The point of the site is to offer resources and useful info so people can learn more about survivalism, homesteading, bushcraft and prepping.
While offering info that is budget minded and helpful to members who canít afford the super deluxe mega bunker with a 20 year supply of mountain house and never ending water supply is a great thing, the info needs to be something that will not harm anyone or cause them to think they are in no danger.
So... if someone posts something others know is not a good idea or may cause more problems than itís worth itís good for other members to point out where they are wrong.

For example, a guy once posted asking about some mushrooms growing in his yard, another member said Ďtry them and let us know if they are okí....
Wrong answer. 90% of mushrooms are very dangerous to ingest, a large percentage of them can kill you. If our members had just said screw it and not pointed out how wrong that guys suggestion was, a person could have died.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
I'm offering a solution to those on a budget and/or those who don't really think these things will happen, but want to have some resources available.

When you go hiking in the woods, do you bring a game cart with and extra 100 pounds of gear because you're incapable of improvising with the 20# you brought with you?

You people and your condescension. Open your mind.
Unless you have a background in HazMat/CBRN, you probably shouldn't be approaching this subject from the position of trying to offer "solutions" to anyone. It's certainly okay to put the idea out there and discuss it, but don't offer it up as though it's coming from a knowledgable source. CBRN isn't a forgiving environment where you can give someone the wrong info and they'll probably be fine. CBRN isn't as simple as hiking in the woods and it's ridiculous to imply otherwise.

Within the context of this thread, you don't need to inject fresh air into a home for an event like this because it's unlikely the event will last long enough to require the addition of fresh air. The vapor cloud will dissipate or be blown further downwind long before that needs to happen. If the event is so bad that you need to seal your home and use positive pressure to survive it... I'm sorry to tell you this, but that means you're so close to source of the plume that you'd be overcome before you'd have time to rig up your improvised CBRN shelter.