Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Hiker

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY
Default do i go for formal training course or self taught

Advertise Here

learning first aid has two sides to the conversation.

Formal training or self taught?

Do I go for formal training course, first aid at work 3 days of practise and a formal certificate at the end of it or do I get the training done cheaper but via another method and learn more or less the same thing but with out the cost and the certificate.

I see that formal i get someone correcting me if its needed but very little else. Self taught can have a load of issues and mistakes unknown in it.

But as I dont need the certificates or paperwork for bussiness or work use, do I really need to bother?

Whats your thoughts on the matter?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 63,986 Times in 20,433 Posts

Depends on the type of learner you are.
If you learn well from reading and are OC enough to research till your sure you wouldn't be asking this on a forum.

So take the class.

I've taken the EMT class 2x, Combat aidsman, First aid for the professional rescuer, and a bunch of others, and worked on people in an ambulance, and in ditches both here in the states and in Iraq under fire.

ETA:
If you have the time, join your local CERT or vol FD and get free training and practice. Training is just the START.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,948 Times in 6,468 Posts

In a formal training environment I usually pick a great deal of knowledge from the anecdotal and informal conversations with the instructors and other students.
And yeah, you don’t want to **** up an assessment for lack of critique or feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,086 Times in 8,475 Posts

I'm a visual learner, lectures are horrible for me.

My husband is very verbal.

When getting a new vending machine I just ask them to give me the manual and skip the lecture. That has worked very well for me the last 20 years - if I have a manual I can make that thing sing.

I actually read first aid manuals when I was a bored kid, so I know a fair amount.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 PM
독수리 발톱

Thanked 1,202 Times in 378 Posts

It's always a good idea to have your training documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgerowpete View Post
learning first aid has two sides to the conversation.

Formal training or self taught?

Do I go for formal training course, first aid at work 3 days of practise and a formal certificate at the end of it or do I get the training done cheaper but via another method and learn more or less the same thing but with out the cost and the certificate.

I see that formal i get someone correcting me if its needed but very little else. Self taught can have a load of issues and mistakes unknown in it.

But as I dont need the certificates or paperwork for bussiness or work use, do I really need to bother?

Whats your thoughts on the matter?
The Following User Says Thank You to blunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 10:45 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 5,110 Times in 1,824 Posts

While you can do the "self taught" thing. It won't replace training, it fine tunes the little things you miss. There are many ways to train for cheap or free. You could volunteer to be a "victim" at a BDLS scenario run by your county or hospital. There are stop the bleed courses and other ways like Nomad stated at the local FD or CERT teams.

But I wouldn't want to only be a youtube medic, too much is missed and mistakes are not corrected.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 PM

I am a highly trained medical professional and when the rubber meets the road it comes down to knowledge retention and critical thinking skills.

Training is just the foundation of the application of what you know.

Honestly, I have found that mistakes are the best teacher. Fortunately for me, the mistakes I have made have cost style points and have not endangered or harmed a patient.

Experience is what will ingrain what you have learned. A previous poster suggested that the OP join a CERT or VFD. That is an awsome suggestion as you will get to put into practice what you have learned with experienced individuals beside you to guide you.

Knowledge is power, Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to John_RN_EMT-P For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 04:26 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 15,247 Times in 4,849 Posts

Quote:
I am a highly trained medical professional
Modest too!

Anyway, EMT-A here so I have an idea of what you had to go for to get where you are so may as well brag.

For First Aid there is nothing you can't learn online. Its really basic and there is no reason to bother getting certified unless you need it for work or something. You won't learn much, but its okay, because there isn't much to learn at that level.

For 'real' first aid, you want to take an EMT class, and that is something you do in person and takes about three months usually, and costs about $1000 (here) unless you can get your VFD to pay for it.

Which you should join, because as noted, Medical knowledge that you never get to use or practice until you need it on yourself or your family isn't very useful.

Nothing will teach you are much as the first time walk into a room and someone throws a baby at you and screams "HE"S NOT BREATHING!" or that first car wreck where you've got someone with four broken limbs, flail chest and a head injury.

When you get handed your NREMT cert everyone will tell you "Good, now the REAL training starts"

But that is a lot to ask of someone. If you just want to learn how to deal with boo-boos etc youtube is probably as good as any overpriced first aid class.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,520 Times in 26,335 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Formal training gets you the experience of the trainer with the ability to pick their brain with instant feedback. If you are not doing something correctly they can fix it right away and explain the possible consequences.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,114 Posts

If you could just self train then why post here? Just do it.

Learning from others has multiple advantages, such as "the book" way is not always the only, way or best way. Real world situations force deviations that the book will not discuss.