SKS bolt will not hold open - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Sharps Balanced Bolt Carrier Group with Relia-Bolt AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-27-2014 12:30 PM
WeaponTech AK47 Enhanced Bolt Hold Open Follower (3 Pack) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 11-21-2014 09:45 AM
PTAC 5.56 Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group w/ Carpenter 158 Bolt - $74.99 apps47inc For Sale 0 02-09-2014 02:09 PM
~ hold on! ~ Athanasius General Discussion 29 11-24-2013 04:55 PM
SKS Bolt mod for easy insertion of aftermarket mag when bolt is closed. (Pictures) Rockyriver Military Weapons Forum 26 06-28-2013 10:28 PM
Hold open a door for a LEO? Samsonite General Discussion 18 05-17-2013 01:52 PM
Silica Gel in open #10 cans to prolong open can shelf life darlenea Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 02-10-2012 05:43 PM
Open Carry Bill passed in CA senate, misdemeanor if you open carry Jida Firearms General Discussion 45 09-13-2011 07:17 PM
Overseas markets about to open...Will the patch hold? Declan General Discussion 11 09-22-2008 01:31 AM

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM

Default SKS bolt will not hold open

Advertise Here

I recently bought a norinco SKS and found a 30 round steel magazine, made by usa magazines. The magazine runs fine, but it will not hold the bolt open, it looks as if it should, but it doesn't.
Does anyone else have one of these magazines, if so, did you have this problem and how did you fix it?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,975 Times in 7,048 Posts

Do other magazines work properly? Is the follower somehow binding as the last round is stripped, so that it doesn't push the hold-open stud up? Is the magazine spring too weak? Is the stud sticking?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm not a prepper

Thanked 3,095 Times in 867 Posts

I ran through various sks mags and ultimately ditched them for the factory fixed mag.

Pretty sure I had the same issue with one or two magazines. It was always something. But usually different with each mag. I ended up with one 10 round and one 25 round detachable that ran well all the time and trashed the rest. Just save yourself the time and headache and run the stock configuration for this rifle. Buy some stripper clips and that's all you need.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BFH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 PM
I have issues

Thanked 5,623 Times in 1,664 Posts

I have never used one of those mags so can't really say what the problem is. But I do have to wonder if the follower reaches high enough to engage the hold open stud.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TachMed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 106,368 Times in 15,735 Posts

The factory mag has a follower designed to hold the bolt open, the aftermarket mags do not since they are not fed by stripper clips. Stick with your factory 10 round mags and stripper clips unless you want to do an "AK style" conversion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakRidgeStars For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post
....made by usa magazines....
I believe that may be your problem, right there. Unless you have a D or M version, that's made to use standard AK mags, I agree with the other guys that you should stick with the fixed,factory 10-rounder. If you don't have the orginal 10-rd mag, they are easy to find, and not expensive.
Then, get some good stripper clips for it. The current consensus is that the best ones around are the Czech-made ones that are marked "BXN" (they're made for the VZ58, but perfectly fit SKS's). If he still has them, there's a guy over there in CZ-land that is selling on ebay, 25-unit packs for $5,with $10 shipping (so,$15 total, which is a great deal). I have a load on the way as we speak.
edit: here's the link to the guy with the BXN stripper clips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sa-vz-58-VZ-...6#ht_25wt_1153
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,783 Posts

Just snagged a batch myself Mil. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I have issues

Thanked 5,623 Times in 1,664 Posts

If that guy runs out of the stripper clips, Gun Parts out of New York state have several types. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/501840.htm#501840A

For myself I have gone to the 75 rd drums for my sks. Have 4 30 round mags for back up. I have gotten used to the AK so not having the bolt hold open is not a big deal.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM

I did figure out the problem (i think) It looks like the follower, made of a nylon material, binds against the metal on the receiver wall, and does not quite go out enough to engage the hold wall.
I can wiggle the magazine left and right and it will pop up, but does anyone know if I can just get a replacement follower? Should I just buy an AK mag and take it apart for one?

Also, i'm just going to buy the circle 31 clips on Ebay, they had a good deal, and I try to keep with original equipment when I can.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 PM

Thanked 18,858 Times in 6,430 Posts

SKS runs best with the Fixed 10 and 20rd. mags IMO.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,653 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
I did figure out the problem (i think) It looks like the follower, made of a nylon material, binds against the metal on the receiver wall, and does not quite go out enough to engage the hold wall.
I can wiggle the magazine left and right and it will pop up, but does anyone know if I can just get a replacement follower? Should I just buy an AK mag and take it apart for one?

Also, i'm just going to buy the circle 31 clips on Ebay, they had a good deal, and I try to keep with original equipment when I can.
You are going to regret wasting money on the circle 31 strippers, they are HORRIBLE. Buy once cry once. the BXN strippers work well, the circle 31's are JUNK. Another option is to buy some Yugo M67 on strippers.

Original equipment??? Neither the circle 31 strippers or your USA mag are original

Read some reviews, I expect the ones that gave 4 stars haven't even tried them yet or are mentally handicapped
Amazon.com : (PACK OF 20)7.62x39 SKS Steel... cover
Amazon.com : (PACK OF 20)7.62x39 SKS Steel...http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Strippe...owViewpoints=0
Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
SKS runs best with the Fixed 10 and 20rd. mags IMO.
I tried to find a 20 round in steel, damn near impossible for a decent price. I found this for 15 bucks, so I got it.

And to panoz77, the circle 31 clips have worked just fine in my norinco so far, I've been reusing the four I have with no issues.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:36 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
....And to panoz77, the circle 31 clips have worked just fine in my norinco so far, I've been reusing the four I have with no issues.
I've read of a number of folks that are not having issues with the Circle 31's, but I seem to read a lot more that really hate them. I actually have a 10-pack of them, because somebody (almost for sure right here) recommended them a couple years ago as being the "good" ones, and better than the cheap NC Star knock-offs, so I ordered some. But, I've never once used them, so i honestly can't say.
But since I've kinda been on kind of an SKS kick lately, I've been reading the forums and watching some videos on the U-tubes, and I keep hearing vehement complaints about the 31's, and almost universally glowing reports on the BXN's, so when I found that ebay deal, and saw them slowly disappearing, I placed an order.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidgeStars View Post
The factory mag has a follower designed to hold the bolt open, the aftermarket mags do not since they are not fed by stripper clips. Stick with your factory 10 round mags and stripper clips unless you want to do an "AK style" conversion.
Tapco mags worked just fine in mine. Are they not American made?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:

Why not just take the mag apart and relieve the follower where it's binding? Although the material doesn't sand easily, you will be able to get it done with some 240 wet-or-dry wrapped around a file or a stick of wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 PM
MOLON LABE!

Thanked 30,851 Times in 4,139 Posts

Toss that junk steel mag in the recycling bin and invest in some Tapco 20's, they're the only aftermarket mags I've found that don't suck. Do the bolt mod and call that SKS done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,653 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper80 View Post
Toss that junk steel mag in the recycling bin and invest in some Tapco 20's, they're the only aftermarket mags I've found that don't suck. Do the bolt mod and call that SKS done.
Actually, USA brand steel mags (will have a USA stamped on the mag body) are not bad aftermarket mags. They usually function quite well, Tapco 20's are very reliable as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 AM

There is a bolt mod you can do to make your bolt hold open using aftermarket mags. I did it on mine. Works like a charm. Also, the only mags I will use inmy sks are tapco. All else seem to be junk.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Can anyone give me a link to the bolt mod that keeps getting mentioned?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,268 Times in 2,434 Posts

Here you go for the bolt mod. Also that site has everything you need to learn about the SKS.

You can also look on E-bay, Amazon, Gun Broker, etc for Chines Star fixed 20 rd mags. that replace the factory 10 rounder.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0