MP5 clone in 22 long rifle for SHTF? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,945 Times in 8,222 Posts
Default MP5 clone in 22 long rifle for SHTF?

Advertise Here

How viable would an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle be for a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI event?

What makes an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle different than any other 22 rifle? Weight, cost, sight radius... etc. For example, with a Walther MP5 clone in 22 long rifle, you are going to spend at least $300, probably close to $400, while a new Ruger 10/22 will set you back around $230.

If someone sets a budget of $400 for a new gun and goes with a Ruger 10/22, they can buy the rifle, extra magazines and a truck load of ammo for $400.

For that same $400 and a MP5 clone in 22 long rifle, all they get is the rifle.

If someone wanted to save a few more dollars, get the Marlin model 60 for less than $200. I see used Marlin model 60 rifles at the local pawn shop all the time.

Just from a financial point of view it appears the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin model 60 are a much better investment. Let's say someone bought a Marlin model 60 for $200. With a $400 budget that leaves $200 for ammo and optic. Even with modern prices, $200 will buy a lot of 22 long rifle, even if someone bought CCI Stingers.

So is there any real reason to consider a MP5 clone for a SHTF firearm stockpile? I picked a Walther MP5 clone up the other day and found it interesting. Honest truth is, I have to talk myself out of buying another one.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,275 Times in 457 Posts

Its the cool factor, as in 'tacticool.'

Recall back in the 90's when there were all manner of 'tacticool' pieces available like AO Thompsons in semi only (and larger than the original design as well), dressed up 10-22's that even came in twin mounts? Or with fake barrel shrouds and suppressors?

The clone fits the same niche. Great convo piece, fun at the range, but you'd be far ahead with the 10-22 or the Model 60, along with all the ammo and such you could buy with the savings.

RR
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,637 Times in 8,252 Posts

I think if I ware still a young buck I might like it. It seems many country boys today play a lot of tactical range games. Today I am more of a prone sniper shooter. LOL
Old 06-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,811 Times in 3,537 Posts

There is value to a 22lr MP5 clone as a training tool for an actual MP5. ( Mine is based off of a 1022 for use as an M14 training rifle simply because 22lr costs less than 7.62x51mm, and much less felt recoil if the plan calls for very young beginner training.)

It also has a threaded muzzle so a can is a part of the system . ( Have no idea if ops Mp5 clone has a threaded muzzle)

Still evaluating my current 22lr " all purpose rifle"......

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ncenter-tcr22/

Spent 220 bucks on mine. ( Iron sights, bolt release, a decent charging handle, built in optics mount, threaded muzzle, sling swivel studs, and more accurate than any of my OEM 1022s or Marlins. )

11B
Old 06-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 76,127 Times in 23,317 Posts

No.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,729 Times in 574 Posts

I say no also.
Someone sees you at a distance w a 10/22, no big threat.
Same person sees you w a MP5 and your a bigger threat.
So you get to catch a bullet at 300 yards to eliminate a big threat

“Oh wait Mr Sniper, it’s just a 22”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 12,983 Times in 5,243 Posts

Im going to say no too.

Even if you had an MP5, I dont see the point, as the real thing is so easy to learn to shoot, even for kids and those unfamiliar with something like it, so why waste the time and effort, especially if its not select fire?

The other issue is, historically, most of these 22 type clones have been kind of sketchy and questionable, build wise, and are more toys than anything serious. I think youd be better off with a stock 10-22 than something like this.

And then there is JFrames thought, if you were to be out and about with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 22,101 Times in 5,661 Posts

Any firearm SHTF is a tool.
The MP5 copies in 22LR are cool, but there are more efficient, more reliable options in the caliber.

A 10/22, Marlin 60, even a lever gun (Browning BL-22, Winnie 9422, etc...), is probably a better tool.
Better reliability, accessory availability, parts availability, etc....

Heck, there's a very good argument for a nice 22LR bolt gun. A Browning T-bolt is one of the finest 22LR's on the market right now IMHO. Love mine.
Get a threaded barrel version and a can... it's a silent, accurate, and unstoppable killer. (Wish I had gotten a threaded barrel... )

I have an old JC Higgins (Sears brand) model 103, it's a Marlin model 100 I believe. It's a tack driver. Single shot, but absolutely a laser.
22 S/L/LR, and if SHTF was real, and I was worried about ammo usage, it's the kind of firearm I'd be looking to with assurance.

Of course, I have a bunch of other firearms for SD, etc... but if I'm down to what 22LR I'm packing, something like that, the Browning T-bolt, or my Marlin 60 is near the top of the list.
I have 10/22's, I have a S&W M&P15-22, I have a little Savage here too that's pretty good, but I'm impressed with and confident in those three.
Accuracy matters more with small bullets IMHO.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,637 Times in 8,252 Posts

Now, now every boy should have his toy. Now if you want a real gun buy something else.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:08 PM

I've a weakness for .22 rifles. I think the Marlin model 60 or the Mossberg Plinkster with the fiber optic sights would be outstanding SHTF rifles for gathering small game. Plinkster especially is so lightweight and reliable. I work at my LGS and have had the opportunity to purchase four model 60's and three Plinksters so far this year for $75 or less. I figure for that price I can pile em up and eventually turn one or more into "parts guns" if the need arises.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
No.

This.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,944 Times in 10,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How viable would an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle be for a SHTF / TEOTWAWKI event?

What makes an MP5 clone in 22 long rifle different than any other 22 rifle? Weight, cost, sight radius... etc. For example, with a Walther MP5 clone in 22 long rifle, you are going to spend at least $300, probably close to $400, while a new Ruger 10/22 will set you back around $230.

If someone sets a budget of $400 for a new gun and goes with a Ruger 10/22, they can buy the rifle, extra magazines and a truck load of ammo for $400.

For that same $400 and a MP5 clone in 22 long rifle, all they get is the rifle.

If someone wanted to save a few more dollars, get the Marlin model 60 for less than $200. I see used Marlin model 60 rifles at the local pawn shop all the time.

Just from a financial point of view it appears the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin model 60 are a much better investment. Let's say someone bought a Marlin model 60 for $200. With a $400 budget that leaves $200 for ammo and optic. Even with modern prices, $200 will buy a lot of 22 long rifle, even if someone bought CCI Stingers.

So is there any real reason to consider a MP5 clone for a SHTF firearm stockpile? I picked a Walther MP5 clone up the other day and found it interesting. Honest truth is, I have to talk myself out of buying another one.
No. Because during a shtf event, the only real value of a 22 LR is accuacy. Specifically the ability to hit small game at range, with the first round. This is not an MP5 strong suite so I would not expect it to perform well in 22 LR either.

Buy a target grade 22 LR and mount a good scope on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: