Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 17 02-14-2018 04:40 AM
Not the typical dog thread kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 01-22-2017 04:36 PM

Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,075 Times in 564 Posts

Advertise Here

We've got a chocolate Lab who's a great watch dog. Barks at anyone she sees, but she's a goof. If someone broke in she'd probably knock them down and wiggle all over them.

Our daughter had a pit bull/Cane Corso mix. He looked just like a pit but was 85-90 lbs (same as our daughter) and as tall as our Lab. Smartest dog I've ever known. Definitely a guard/watch dog. Sweet as could be, but territorial if someone came up to the car when he was in it. Daughter always worried about a cop coming up to the car. The dog had tons of health problems though-- horrid allergies, torn ACL, mast cell tumors. He died when he was six of a tumor that ruptured on his heart. I cried for a month.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RufusJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Dog Whisperer

When I was in college I lived in a house with a bunch of other students. I had a beagle mix and someone else had a purebred german shepherd. Those dogs used to work together, if someone walked into the house who didn't live there (it happened a lot) - the shepherd would pin the person to the wall with an arm in his mouth and my beagle mix would bark like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to TobyDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM

That one made me laugh because my dad use to have a beagle that was a hunting dog but would act like a straight up killer if someone came around the house at night.I still remember the night old Sam want crazy it sounded like he had a bear cornered my dad got his shotgun and want out the back door and came up on Sam who had the town drank by the pants leg. sounding like he was ready to kill dad told him to let go and Sam looked up like are you for real. After that day I think I was his favorite person
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnyboy88 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM

I have been wondering about some of the livestock guardian dog for around the house I have read in a few places that have said if they don't have any livestock to take care of they become protective of the home other pets and family was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with them as family and home guardian
Old 02-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Prepared

True, but the problems
1) Some, like collies, which normally cover lots of ground daily may still need to burn off that energy.
I read the story behind the initial research of GPAWS where they were given to collies on a farm and it was found they could cover 100 miles a day.
Having seen them run up mountains with ease I would be inclined to believe this

2) The herding instinct can result in them herding pets and kids.
Can be funny to watch, actually make that hilarious to watch, but when they point blank refuse to let the kids out to go to school ??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Not the hearding dogs these are dogs that stayed around the livestock to protect against stuff like wolves and bears almost laying around until something happened
Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,389 Times in 8,629 Posts

Neighbor had a working dog (Australian critter) that used to herd the barn cat's kittens.... Now that one was a real hoot.

Earlier post mentioned the beagle and shepherd working together. It don't just work with other dogs. This one worked effectively with the two donkeys the owner kept with his goats....
Old 02-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Jonnyboy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 View Post
So just wanted to ask and see what you guys think which do you prefer watch dog to let know when someone is coming or a guard dog big enough and strong enough to go after and bring down an intruder and which breeds do you like for each
Quote:
I did not realize that they are still working bred Airedale's I thought they were show dogs now I have heard that a lot of the terriers do make good watch dogs because they have no fear but I have to coon dogs that stay outside that lets us know if anyone comes on the place what I am thinking about is one that if someone gets inside is going to be able to stop them or at least slow one down
great thread/post, I am a dog lover, what conclusion did you come to on the subject?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM

I got it down to the Antonin Shepard old white English and a Rottweiler which seems like the wife favorite
Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,111 Times in 3,135 Posts

Here's my corso, Ares.

^My "little" land shark. He's got an excellent prey drive.

He's nearly 6 months old, now and over 60lbs.

My boss came to my door yesterday evening, to see if I would come into work on my night off. Ares started growling, that means someone is in the yard; then he started barking; someone is at the door.

Sure enough, there was a knock at the door.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Interesting looking dog I have heard that they can be one of the best breed's for guard dogs but I was wondering since you had him next to a kid does he just put up with the kid because you tell him to or does he actually like the kid also did you get him before the kid or after how is he when people that he doesn't know comes over do you tell him it OK and he leave them alone or does he have to be put up before you let anyone in also it sounds like they can be a high string dog so do they have to have something to do all the time or is he OK for a little bit by himself say when you are at work or do you have to have someone with him
Old 02-20-2017, 04:54 PM
King of Canada

Quote:
Interesting looking dog I have heard that they can be one of the best breed's for guard dogs but I was wondering since you had him next to a kid does he just put up with the kid because you tell him to or does he actually like the kid also did you get him before the kid or after how is he when people that he doesn't know comes over do you tell him it OK and he leave them alone or does he have to be put up before you let anyone in also it sounds like they can be a high string dog so do they have to have something to do all the time or is he OK for a little bit by himself say when you are at work or do you have to have someone with him
No, he likes them. He's really good with them. I got him after our kids.

He'll bark/growl when people come into the yard or to the door, but if I say leave 'em; he leaves 'em be. Unless he likes them and wants to be pet by them. He seems to be a good judge of character.

He's good by himself, whether he's been exercised or not. I work nights, so my wife is home with him from 6pm to 6am. He sleeps in his crate, with the door open so he can wander around the house during the night, just in case someone decides to come in uninvited.

But it's been training and maintaining training since day 1 with him. He caught on super quick to everything and listens to every word that I say and most of the time, to my wife.

He's a great dog. The breeder lives a province away from us, so I couldn't just go and hang out with the dogs. But I saw a few photos of them, and took a good look at them. He was the leader of the group, leading his brothers and sisters around the ranch. It only really took me the first photo to decide he was the one. Something just said; "He's good, I can tell" and he has been.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM

So just wondering was any of the training you did with him baite work or attack work a lot of the stuff I read Said it takes it for a gured dog to really be able to stop a intruder but the few people that use the Mastiff dogs said it was a bad idea for two reasons
1 they have been used as gurad dogs for every so it is breed into them

2 they say baite work can get them to the point where they are to quick to bait and in dogs that size it can be to dangerous

So was attack work something you did with him or with his pray drive would you think he would just know to go after anyone who tries to hurt you or one of your family
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Why not simply have both?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlRanger2187 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts
Default Both...

I keep a pair of Dobermans (and have done so for many years now).

Short story:

Was out back feeding the chickens one day and had the girls running around the yard 'free'. One was sorta close to me and I could see her but the other was off elsewhere in the yard.

Just got done with the birds and heard barking and growling coming from the front near the house. The girl that was with me took off to check it out. By the time I got there they were both in the process of 'warning' a stranger that had walked up the driveway to the house.

It ended up being a Census lady and they had her backed up against the wall of the house with her hands in the air. (five feet or so from a 'no trespassing' sign) Scared the mess out of her but did not bite anything! Lady was still visibly uncomfortable even after the dogs were told she was 'cool' and they backed off / left her alone. She was very, very quick to do her job and go away...

Whatever sort of dog you decide to get - You don't want it to just run up and bite anything that moves in your yard. You also want a dog that can be trained to listen to your commands no matter what is going on around them. Particular breeds are going to be smarter than others and the training needs will differ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM

When I owned a farm I had 4 dogs. No one made it even half way up my 120 yd long drive before I knew someone was coming. I now live in a semi-rural suburb and I only have a cat. I'm sure he would watch (probably from under the bed), but that's all. Peacocks or geese are hard to beat as far as alerting you to guests (welcome or otherwise) and you can always eat the geese if they don't perform to your expectations. (I don't know about eating peacocks) and unlike dogs they don't eat much expensive store bought food. My cousin in Miami, FL once had 2 Dobermans. He liked them because they didn't bark much at all. It seemed they preferred to watch burglars attempt to break in before they attacked which they did on at least two occasions as he discovered; once when he found a bloody tennis shoe by a back window and another time when he found a good sized piece of bloody denim near his back porch door.
The Following User Says Thank You to qdviv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM

from my personal family and life experience, a well bred female German Shepard is very tough to beat as an all around family dog and also an instinctive protection dog. And they love kids, even other neighbors kids. They just know.
When my wife and I were in our first house we searched and finally found a breeder of a Standard Schnauzer. Not the Giant or mini, the original German bred dog. Best all around family and protection dog I have ever seen. Loved to play with kids, loved my wife to death. I was a working Cop and worked rotating shifts, no one came near that house without her knowing, ever. But if she let them in and acted normal the dog would treat them like a long lost buddy but would still watch every move they made. I had a good friend I knew through the cop shop who was a pro trainer, police security and civilian. I told him I was concerned how the dog would do if someone tried to actually force his way into the house when I was not around. He said we'll test him. One night when I was at work and with my wife's full understanding Dan went to a rear window and made noise like he was trying to jimmy the window. Smokey went into full action and was at that window in combat mode with my wife standing back and saying "who is it Smokey" Smokey knew it was not a good thing and Dan told me he wished luck to anyone who tried to climb in there. About two weeks later Dan said you ready to do a real test and with that arrangements were made that he would come to the door, knock and my wife would answer opening the wood door but not the screen door. Dan, wearing a protection sleeve under his jacket would try to enter with my wife yelling at him to get out. H e yanked open the screen door and Smokey got between him and my wife so fast that Dan said he almost did not have time to get the sleeve down before Smokey was on him. Smokey went into full on terrier mode and clamped onto Dan's sleeve so hard that he was doing some yelling at him and light kicking at him and even grabbed the plastic garbage can and hitting him with it. He had a hard time squeezing out the screen door and breaking off with Smokey.
I met Dan in the parking lot of an adjacent school and this is what he said to me. Don't attempt to train that dog, don't do a da** thing with that dog. Leave him alone he is perfect the way he is.
We lost Smokey many years later but if you said to me Bill, what kind of dog would you get to protect a family it would be a Standard Schnauzer, either sex, and a close second would be a well bred female Shepard. One that I could see both parents of.
JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Willy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,767 Times in 784 Posts

My little mutt a Jack Russell mix is a game changer. He is so small that he is real concerned something might get him so he tell me to look out. He alarms the older yard dogs and they work well to cover the yard with eyes an noses.Dogs are truly mans protector!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,652 Times in 639 Posts

I prefer large breed dogs, they are healthier. The small breeds, tend to be poorly trained, since their size is not an issue and they look "cute" for so long, they grow up believing all their misbehavior is alright. Of course it is The owners who have to train all dogs, small or largee.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM
King of Canada

Thought I would post an update on Ares.

He is now a few days over a year old. He currently weighs in at 120lbs. Still energetic and has an incredible prey drive.

Still loves the kids, they climb on him and play with him. He enjoys it.

He remains vigilant in his watching, alerting and guarding.

His training is going well.

But he has some health issues; Cherry eye (surgery twice-both failed) and alopecia; a fur disorder (aesthetic as of now). The breeder has told me over and over again the parents have had no health issues. But 3 of the dogs from that litter have alopecia? So clearly it's inherited. I figured a registered breeder would know her **** and not lie, I believe I was swindled.

Ares is a great dog, but his breeder is far from being great. I was considering buying another Corso from her, but not now.

My wife wants a Leonberger, so we're on the look for a proper breeder of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post: