Survivalist Forum banner

my new bug in location

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Poppa Kohl 
#1 ·
So I moved from key to ne pa. I am 40 min east of Scranton in a gated community in the Poconos. I was concerned only being two hours from nyc... but my hopes are the impassible roads on winter will deter a large amount of evacuees. Plus how hard it is to find my house in the summer. The people who run the place put huge boulders along the entrance to community so bypassing the gates in a vehicle is out of the question. I have a spring fed well plus three lakes within walking distance. Not to shabby for a bol. Though I do fear those few that make it out here because they are either tough or will be very desperate once they get here. My preps for this summer will be putting a solar panel on my well pump. And getting a huge kerosene tank for the winters. Also getting a lot of fishing gear. The deer population is insane here they all seem to push south from the state game lands too the north.
The other problem I face is building a garden in my yard between the crap soil and the huge deer population it's going to be a problem.

#3 ·
The other problem I face is building a garden in my yard between the crap soil and the huge deer population it's going to be a problem.
whats wrong with the soil? lots of rocks and roots? would be a lot of work but much easier to take care of now with heavy equipment than after a collapse with just hand tools. if its just not suitable for growing maybe you could bring in a ton of manure? or dig out a couple fee of the dirt and bring in other dirt?

#7 ·
gated communities have always left me with two major concerns.
first, they usually infer a HAA and that can mean significant restrictions on what can be done on the outside of the property.
second, i'm sure there are more than a few ne'er-do-wells that equate security gates with things behind those gates worth stealing.
i hope you have no problems with either of these concerns.

#8 ·
great thing about my community is very few rules. And second gated communities in my area are a dime a dozen every neighborhood is gated. The one problem is it is a vacation community so some people may come here looking to squat in house shtf

#9 ·
Wifey #2 father had a summer house in Saw Creek in Bushkill --- there was a urbanite's summer get away place in Pocono Highland lake ( ? ) area - would have been a huge concern if we bought the place from him ---- oodles of deer -- I called them -- "Lunch on the hoof" -- did you check the demographics in the area ?

#10 ·
If you ever have to call an ambulance in an emergency, send someone to the gate to make sure they can get in. Gated communities are supposed to supply codes to emergency services and notify them of changes. Sometimes they don't. We have a number of paramedics in our family, and while it doesn't happen often, I've heard several stories of how the patient died while the ambulance spent 20 minutes outside the gate trying to get the code so they could get in.

#11 ·
A gated community that doesn't have the gate manned all the time is a waste, imo. They don't have to actually put a man onsite, but it needs to have a call button and video monitor in operation at all times.

#13 ·
The front gate is open but drives by the guard house with guard in it they check for stickers.
Being a former security supervisor who did road inspections for years :mad:

The body’s we had in the vertical coffins --

Sleep --

Go to the head --

Sit in their car --

Sleep in their car --

Some do detex key tours -- and get lost --

Go to the deli / burger joint / home --

Made friends with someone in the complex and go visiting --

Sleep on the booth floor -- residents would get out of their cars -- reach in a open the gate themselves --

The really older ones die on post --

They know the road supervisor / inspector ( me ) would show up at close to the same time every night --- set their alarm clock --

Some guards when going potty - would just leave the gates open --

Guards in general are the lowest paid people on the planet -- you get what you pay for --

Senior residents kids will call at 2:AM demanding you check on their parent -- I've walked in on my fair share of D/R's --

While the guard is checking hie eye lids for cracks -- if there is a back fire entrance gate 5 out of 7 times - the lock is cut --

One of my favorites --

One of our defense radar contractors had a moble set up 100 yards from the Montauk light house -- we hired a retired ex-cop who lived out there to cover the post --

The dispatcher ( sometimes me ) would call him 3 times a night -- one time - I was ahead of schedule -- so I went out there -- at the empty trailer ( 1 mil. worth of equempment un-guarded ) I hear the phone ring once -- I'd get a call on the radio --- "All OK at Montauk" :confused:

He called forwarded to his house :thumb:

Gated communities ain’t what there suppose to be ;)

#14 ·
They seem a pretty proactive, even if they are old, unarmed, and not the brightest. But I have a radio set to their frequency I snooped when I was getting my pass. My baofeng can pick it up. I like the idea that I have a heads up on anything going down. And honestly if they really were in trouble I would help. Though it would be hard to explain when I came rolling in packing a rifle if they were in serious trouble. They know I have the frequency but they also know what I do for work now that I am outta the army so they don't care

#15 ·
Some places I sat post on --- 6' high fencing around the complex and some had no fencing - yet - had a gate --- some of the units had breakins close to the fence --

Any bushes close to your windows ? Parking lot lights ?

And watch out for mall ninja's playing paint-ball games in the dark --

#16 ·
No bushes I have 50 yards standoff on all sides of my house. I have the road blocked by a 3 foot ditch, with trees about 4 feet of them which in shtf I have concertina wire to place between them. No parking lots except the 9 ne main one three miles away at the main gate.

#19 ·
I am not allowed to have a chain link fence. But I have pretty good natural barriers which in military fortifications that is one of the best things that you could have. During shtf I have trip flares. And gonna put concertina wire and tangle foot out. I know some will say that oh that will draw attention but if they are in here they are looking for trouble it's pretty outta the way.

#20 ·
Well, I guess if they weren't looking closely for about a year you could likely get those berry bushes covering the fencing in about a year. Tell them it isn't a fence. It's a vine trellis! :D:

But seriously, some kind of basic wire fencing should work and once those brambles are good size you will never see or need to support underneath. A fully grown bramble is a strong deterrent to unauthorized entry. Some work on your part too because they will definitely keep getting larger fast unless you give it a good whacking once a month. Combined with your clear zone inside you have serious security there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.