Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2020, 11:37 PM
Dismember

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,126 Posts

Advertise Here

Word of warning: Smallest Grandkids like box Mac & Cheese. Kraft is still OK, but that walmart stuff: NOOOOOOOO, it's now gone beyond nasty. Inedible.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,069 Times in 615 Posts

Woozy, have you tried the Kroger store brand of mac and cheese? It make Kraft taste like Krap. Seriously, I was surprised. The macaroni is bigger and stays firm and doesn't mush up into paste when it's cooked, and the cheese tastes more like real cheese than Kraft. It's the only one worth buying now.

Back to the topic of leftovers.

Meat= enchiladas. I made meatlump the other day with half hamburger and half venison which came out great. The next day I took a portion of it and mashed it up, added a tiny bit of taco spice (about 1/2 tsp for about 1/4 lb. meat) and made enchiladas with a mild red sauce. They were very good. Any meat = enchiladas.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,247 Posts

I tend to make a lot of oatmeal at a time. Cold leftovers can be sliced and fried. Or just reconstitute to cereal or thin to atole like hot drink. Oatmeal needs sweetener and cinnamon.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,247 Posts

Enchilada sauce can be canned or complicated, made from toasted dry chilie pods. But a surprisingly good easy sauce can be made from chilie powder. Here's a basic one, modify as you like.
http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/617...chilada-sauce/
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,321 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
Woozy, have you tried the Kroger store brand of mac and cheese? It make Kraft taste like Krap. Seriously, I was surprised. The macaroni is bigger and stays firm and doesn't mush up into paste when it's cooked, and the cheese tastes more like real cheese than Kraft. It's the only one worth buying now.

Back to the topic of leftovers.

Meat= enchiladas. I made meatlump the other day with half hamburger and half venison which came out great. The next day I took a portion of it and mashed it up, added a tiny bit of taco spice (about 1/2 tsp for about 1/4 lb. meat) and made enchiladas with a mild red sauce. They were very good. Any meat = enchiladas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I tend to make a lot of oatmeal at a time. Cold leftovers can be sliced and fried.
Couple things I never thought of. Keep them coming!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I grew up in a house where an Irish grandmother did most of the cooking.
Potato cakes for breakfast were made from last night's leftover mashed potatoes.
Fresh potatoes were boiled once a day at lunch and were boiled whole, with jackets on.
The lunch leftovers were peeled, reheated and mashed for dinner.
Rinse and repeat....

Fav twist on mac n cheese - layer it with bacon pieces, diced fresh tomatoes and jalapenos to taste. Serve with sour cream and garnish with green onions.
Potato cakes are great! I never had them until my (now wife) moved in and she made them. If you have some left over bacon grease to make a gravy for them you have food fit for a god.

If you are like me and don't have anything against potato peels don't worry about it. They are great. I actually only peel taters if we are having company.

Oh and she loved your "stew bucket" idea from an earlier post. I see a coffee can in the freezer in my very near future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I'm the king of leftovers, as one of 6 kids with a dad that worked for Uncle Sam and a mom that raised kids, money was tight, so if losing food was not exactly a sin, it was at least criminal.....
Similar except that leftovers where a sin. Enough was prepared to adequately feed but no getting fat. Eat all that hit the table. HATE leftovers. Though my wife is an excellent cook who always makes too much so has leftovers.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 64,309 Times in 20,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Similar except that leftovers where a sin. Enough was prepared to adequately feed but no getting fat. Eat all that hit the table. HATE leftovers. Though my wife is an excellent cook who always makes too much so has leftovers.
Lunch is waiting for the jambalaya to come off the wood stove.

(Oddly I don't really think of things like red beans and rice and jambalaya as "leftovers" even though they are.)

Taste as good or better after a few days...

Sometimes it doesn't make sense to cook just enough for a meal.
(Gumbo comes to mind.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,667 Times in 9,491 Posts

Tonight I am going to use leftover linguine pasta and Alfredo sauce to make chicken Alfredo. I found a small package of blsl chicken thighs that I will be using up at the same time. Brussels sprouts and green salad to go with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 64,309 Times in 20,509 Posts

(Groans)

I'm gonna call the neighbor to help me out.

I ate too much turkey and sausage jambalaya.... And STILL gonna be too many leftovers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,316 Posts

Warm & crumble leftover hamburgers (or meat) add chili powder, onions etc. to your taste and add to leftover mac & cheese (shells & cheese as well) chili mac will make you smile IMO

Now that I eat Keto I won't have it but we enjoyed it often in the past here.

Please Report rules violations (use the red & white triangle top right of post window)

Thank you !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 25,105 Times in 7,406 Posts

I generally cook larger meals than my household can eat at a single setting.

Reason being; we get a lot of blood family / in-law relatives / and BOL group member traffic through our rural home.

That way I usually have some tasty pre-cooked left-overs in the fridge that can be pulled out, and quickly reheated to feed them - if anyone is hungry. Being HARD WORKERS, they often are.

Most often, it would be a cold day in hell if anybody left our home hungry.

Secondly, fairly often when I cook things for dinner like spaghetti sauce, chili, ranch style beans, ground beef or pork, stews, soups, etc. I cook up a BIG batch, then can 10 or 12 quart mason jars full of whatever it is.

Which keeps our home pantry full of basic quick-cook meal preps.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,242 Times in 1,679 Posts

I used to make stewed beef and a pot of rice early in the week and eat it every night untill it was gone. Beef over rice and corn bread, I need to try it again.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,446 Times in 7,450 Posts

Having a smoker, like we do, guarantees leftovers. And, more often than not, half of that goes into the Food Saver and then frozen.

There are some foods we enjoy as leftovers: home-made chili; that stuff seems to get hotter on the 2nd day. Spaghetti sauce seems to be better the 2nd day. Ribs, chicken.

We're at the point where it is painful to go out to eat. Rude obnoxious people on their cell phones or conversations so loud the whole restaurant can here them. Or, their spawn think the restaurant is a play ground.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 25,105 Times in 7,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
We're at the point where it is painful to go out to eat. Rude obnoxious people on their cell phones or conversations so loud the whole restaurant can here them. Or, their spawn think the restaurant is a play ground.
Same here. + sometimes our food orders take forever to get to the table and are wrong or cold.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Survivor

I'm back now. Been a rough last few days. My son had oral surgery on Friday and wife a minor surgery on Monday, so while I have been on the forum I haven't wanted to get started on a long post because I have had more important duties to take care of.

Brats

Really this counts for any tube type sausage that you have left over, but it's what we had Saturday night so that's what stuck in my head. This is another summer grilling holiday meat that you can be over-whelemed with as well.

In the interest of saving time especially because I type very slowly let's knock out the basics. We have determined that most any meat can go into:
1) scrambled eggs or omlettes
2) fried taters
3) spaghetti sauce
4) chili (calm down in Texas)
5) be mixed with any type of tater and had a can of cream of your favorite soup over it
for a casserole.
6) gravy to put over taters rice or noodles
7) seems to the the most important thing to have onion, garlic, spices, and sauces on
hand to make the meal to taste. I would also put a couple of your favorite kinds of
cheese on the list as well. Shredded up they make everything better to me.

With brats things can be sliced or diced to your taste, or how far you have to stretch it.

So now we are going back to Saturday night at my house. What do do with 2 left over brats that you want to use up and three people to feed one of whom has a very sore mouth and needs soft food to eat. (Surgery was minor, but he was still quite sore.)

Dice up your two brats and toss into the skillet with a pat of butter, half a diced onion, a spoonful of minced garlic, a can of mushrooms, and some red bell pepper if you have it. We actually used some jarred pepper we found at Dollar Tree and really it isn't bad. Can't grow enough of them to can where I live, and fresh are very expensive.

Start a pot of rice on to boil. You want to bring it to boil about the time that the meat and veggies are done.

Once you have that sauteed until the onions are translucent and the pieces of brats are looking the way you want them to on the outside you add to the pot of rice. Turn your rice down to simmer and cover at this point. By adding the meat and veg in and letting it go through the simmer stage together a lot of flavor gets cooked into the rice.

Season or sauce to your choice. For instance I add a few drips of Itialian dressing and stir it in, wife adds a bit of soy, and son just a bit of salt.

Another good use of left over brats is to slice them in half lengthwise. I stand them on the curve and that seems to work best. Then put them skin side up and brown or crisp the side that's down. Remove and cover them and toss an egg into the skillet and pop the yolk (or use a prepared egg like you would for omlette). Once the egg is done put onto a slice of bread and add a slice of cheese onto the top of it, and then put the meat over it and another bread.

Of course use the sauce of your choice, and as well as slicing them in half lengthwise you can also do a second horizontal to make them fit small buns, or english muffins or bagels. I prefer miracle whip on mine, but real mayo, and mustard are both ok in my book. Your tastes may be different.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,316 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife & son, here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery for both!

Please Report rules violations (use the red & white triangle top right of post window)

Thank you !
The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
Sorry to hear about your wife & son, here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery for both!
Thanks. Neither surgery was what we would consider serious, just leaving them very sore for a few days, and keeping me running for them. They are both doing much better with son eating well now, and wife looking like she will be close to normal by the end of the week.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,667 Times in 9,491 Posts

Tonight's dinner is leftover andouille sausage cut into slices and browned, leftover Mexican rice reheated in chicken broth with sauteed green bell peppers and onions with the sausage added at the end. I might even toss in a couple of chunks of corn on the cob just for the fun of it and add a touch of Old Bay seasoning for a simple paella.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,643 Times in 856 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as leftover brats.

Not in this household anyway.

I lived in Germany for eight years and 99.9999% of the time I had brats served just one way... on a Kaiser roll with Guldens type mustard. True perfection.

I love the brat and egg leftover idea, sounds very intriguing for sure.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post: