Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Hunting Bow Speed Test + Video AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-14-2017 08:00 PM
Arkansas Alters Waterfowl Hunting Rules for Non-Residents AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-19-2017 10:00 PM
It's like Christmas in July with Steiner's Gear-Up For Hunting Promotion gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 07-19-2017 02:53 PM
Setting up a hog hunting spot AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-05-2017 09:00 PM

Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,063 Times in 790 Posts
Default How Do We Stop the Decline in Hunting?

Advertise Here

It is no secret the number of hunters has been decreasing over the decades. There are numerous reasons for the decline. Access to hunting land is one of the biggest challenges. Cost and time are other issues.

For example, all across the nation hunting leases are being sold to developers. As urban populations swell, hunting land that use to be just outside the city limits, is now a developed neighborhood. Due to this, people have to drive further to hunt.

In the November 2017 issue of Shooting Illustrated, on page 14, there is an article that states: "We must stop the decline in hunting." The piece was authored by Pete R. Brownell.

The post How Do We Stop the Decline in Hunting? appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.

Read the full article here...
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,916 Times in 732 Posts

I would say we need to get big business out of it and go back to INDIVIDUALS owning the property, not corporations. Hunting has gotten too expensive. I refuse to pay $1000/yr to hunt.
But the older I get, and the more I see our nation declining, I think it is a good thing that more creatures are out there. We may need to depend on them for survival one day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 01:04 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

I think the bigger problem is lack of interest. A lot of kids are not interested in the outdoors at all. Hunting takes work. Kids need to be taught about it or it is hard to develop their interest later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,742 Times in 13,351 Posts

I agree with individuals needing to own the land.

Time to repeal the 17th.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Target Shooter

I have an 11 yr old step son he likes the idea of hunting, but when it comes down to actually going out and doing it, the impatience kicks in and hed rather just play video games, hunting lacks the instant gratification these kids are used to
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juts89mj For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,681 Times in 7,967 Posts

Out west, most hunting is done on public land...some of us would be glad to see a decline, so those that do hunt don't have to wait on a lottery draw to get a decent tag, or deal with the type of hunting where you keep bumping shoulders with other hunters. Even with the lottery system, success rates on elk are about 25% over all, and about 50% on the limited draw areas.

Of course, fewer permits would just make the state jack their tag prices up even more...

Today, in much of the west, hunting isn't a food thing, it is FAR cheaper to buy a half beef and a hog or two. Hunting today is a lifestyle thing, a cultural thing.

As our culture changes...we lose hunters. With less hunters, we lose voting power to keep our hunting rights.

You want more hunters out here? Make it cheaper. Of course...that just makes the hunting worse, as more people try to take fewer animals.

I understand parts of the east are different, you guys seem to take deer like we take coyotes, you HAVE to shoot enough to keep the population down, or you'd be over run. I can't imagine taking 7 or 8 deer a year, just out in the back lot, like I keep hearing folks talk about. But it's not like that everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
I would say we need to get big business out of it and go back to INDIVIDUALS owning the property, not corporations. Hunting has gotten too expensive. I refuse to pay $1000/yr to hunt.
But the older I get, and the more I see our nation declining, I think it is a good thing that more creatures are out there. We may need to depend on them for survival one day.
I can't see how hunting has decreased. The demand for hunting land seems greater than ever before. That's why lease prices are so high. My 300 acres where I live leases for $5,000 per year and there is a waiting list of people who want it. Even my small farms lease for more than $1000. Hunting leases are now a good part of farm income.

Hunting is now expensive. If you want the use of somebody's land you must pay for that use. There has been considerable discussion about city people not understanding land ownership. One group of 4 city guys leased this farm for twelve years. They lost their jobs during the recession and couldn't pay the lease. One of the guys spent several days in jail for trespassing the first year after their lease expired. He said he felt that he "had a right to be on the property". He said he knew every inch of the farm, and felt very much "at home" here. He said it wasn't fair for me to "own" it, and he didn't. I reminded him that I bought it and paid for it, and he didn't.

If you think property rights can't be enforced, you're wrong. The game warden brought in dogs to track down the illegal hunter. Only took a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 AM

Hunting has been turned into a rich mans "sport". That's
why it's referred to as "sport fishing" or "hunting for sport". It's been turned upside down and gutted just like every other human past time. We've let the government into our lives so deeply we must pay extra taxes (licenses, tags, permits) just to collect our own food.

There is absolutely no shortage of people in the hills during hunting season. It takes sometimes 17+ years to draw an archery elk tag in some units. If you buy a general season tag (over the counter) you won't be able to get out of sight of other people attempting to hunt the same deer or elk you're hunting.

I can't blame ranchers / farmers for trying to make a few bucks on the side, taxes aren't going down anywhere. Yet I see them getting reimbursement from fish & game for deer and elk grazing their land while they charge several thousand to hunt their land.
That's double dipping.

Wolves allowed to be reintroduced before their food supply (mostly deer and elk) could be elevated to sustain their presence. Fish & game departments only manage money, that's it.

It's cheaper to buy food at the store than it is to drive to decent hunting areas after spending hundreds on tags and licenses, gear, fuel ECT.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO MOA View Post

I can't blame ranchers / farmers for trying to make a few bucks on the side, taxes aren't going down anywhere. Yet I see them getting reimbursement from fish & game for deer and elk grazing their land while they charge several thousand to hunt their land.
That's double dipping.

ECT.

Wow. So...Farmers are "double dipping" when they are paid for the use of their land. I have never gotten any "reimbursement from fish and game" as you claim. It's not just "grazing". Farmers suffer huge crop losses due to deer that were transplanted onto their farms. Farmers pay huge property taxes just to own the farms. You mention farmers "trying to make a few dollars on the side"? Most farmers I know have to have extra JOBS on the side because they can't make a living on the farm. Wow..."double dipping".
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Inglorious Deplorable

. . . but food is a right.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,335 Times in 803 Posts

Access to hunting land is one problem, restrictive and confusing regulations are another. In Alabama, for example, almost nobody hunts doves any more unless it's at a shoot sponsored by someone who's read the law inside and out, consulted lawyers and game wardens, and has experience conducting these shoots. Alabama has a split season across three different regions and the baiting laws are very difficult to understand. These laws are not only vague but rely on the warden's opinion to a large degree. Every year there are stories of people who go so far as to bring a warden onto their property to inspect the field. That warden says it's legal only to have another warden write a ticket a few days later. Sometimes the judge throws it out, sometimes they don't. Alabama's deer regulations are headed in the same direction, although it appears their population has declined in the last few years, unlike doves. In any case I probably will not be hunting this year. The property I've hunted for years now has two other people hunting it and their practices are enough at odds with my own I don't want to be on the property any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,045 Times in 6,286 Posts

I was an avid bow hunter in urban Pa who hunted most of my life in small plots of land, many owned by townships or RR property. Every year, I felt the squeeze increasing... first came the no trespassing laws. No problem, just get permission. Then came the no hunting township laws. No problem, the state overrode most of those laws if you had the time and money to challenge them. Then came the "no shooting" laws which is what drove many hunters to bow hunting. It got to the point that I'd spend 10x as much time finding out where I could hunt as I did hunting. In the end, I had written permission from a developer friend to hunt exclusively on his properties. Even that was not enough... one day cops pulled over, drew their guns and ordered us to put our weapons down. I showed him the written permission slip on my dash board. He didn't believe that and asked I call the owner. When I did that, the owner said yes, he absolutely has permission to hunt. Reluctantly, the cops left. A week later, some lady was riding her horse on my friends property. I got down from my tree, walked over to her and introduced myself, noting that we were hunting. She immediately went into a rage and said I had no business being on this property. I asked who she was and if she had permission (the property was extensively posted) and she said she was a concerned neighbor. I showed her my permission and she essentially ordered me to leave. The next day, my friend the owner called me and said I had to stop hunting there. Turns out she was on the township commission and had influence with permits, etc. and since he was a builder, he had to comply. I could go on and on but let's say there is a growing hostility towards hunting and people who don't even own the land can and do try to kick you off, some even flattening tires, etc. That coupled with liberal education has turned off many youngsters to hunting. I moved to TN, in the mountains, and even there had run-ins with people who think they own the national forest! LOL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Inglorious Deplorable

Great post.

Really identifies the battles in the war against hunting.

Has anybody taken their children to safe hunting classes at their school recently? I went to one as a youth.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,045 Times in 6,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post
Great post.

Really identifies the battles in the war against hunting.

Has anybody taken their children to safe hunting classes at their school recently? I went to one as a youth.
My hunting buddy had two girls. He taught them archery and we took them out shooting. The oldest, who was about 13 or so, went with us hunting one day and we put on a drive for her. I pushed her a nice 8 pointer and she made a perfect shot and got him. It was one of the best days of hunting in my life. She was soooooo excited. We took pictures and she brought them into school, all excited. The teacher was freaked out and the kids, even the boys, were shocked that she would kill bambi. My guess is they don't do any safe hunting classes at school any more and most likely, they have PETA in there often to teach children how to "respect" animals.

I also met a young boy in the airport when I was going Elk hunting and he stopped my friend and I to ask us about our hunt. He said he wished he could come with us so we can show him how to hunt... nobody in his family hunts and there was nobody to teach him. That made me sad too... I wish we could have taken him along with us.

Hunting was once a great family tradition... not so much today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

LOL, I bet they also canceled Home Econ classes so they can't cook Bambi either.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,438 Times in 5,605 Posts

Get government out. Yes we need laws but it is to the point that the tree huggers have taken over thru gov. appointments and now we have prime hunting land being locked down as butterfly sanctuaries. This in turn makes pressures on the remaining lands higher and less opportunities for young and old alike. Also, pressure video game manufacturers to make more games that are hunting related. Then show them they can do it in real LIFE!
The Following User Says Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM

Those same ranchers who've said to me, "no you can't hunt here! We think of them as our pets!" Yet complain to fish and game about ungulates grazing their grass but won't allow ANYONE near their place to handle the problem animals they complain about unless you have $5,000 to fork over. That's ensuring their grazing "problem" continues without resolution while taking cash straight from the fish and game (I.e. My double taxed dollars along with many others) and making a nice cash deal at the same time. Maybe its different in little farms back east but not out west here where 12,000 acres is a small operation typically worked by one man, then a few friends on branding day and calving season.

Fish and game wastes enough money on free "learn to ____ hunt" clinics already.
They don't need any help throwing cash away.
They don't need any help stealing from hunters and fisherman either.

Which animal BELONGS THERE? Deer, elk and antelope or cattle and sheep?
Now please.... Tell me and everyone else here who hunts how YOU DESERVE IT BOTH WAYS.
Besides, you are one serious physical injury away from good ol' uncle Sam taking back HIS land if you miss your tax payment.
We're all in this big ****ting mess together so drop the self entitled attitude.
Try asking questions and contribute to a conversation.

Thanks.

Last edited by MikeK; 10-31-2017 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Do not bypass the language filter. Reread site rules for clarification.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:19 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Those same ranchers who've said to me, "no you can't hunt here! ....... unless you have $5,000 to fork over.
So...You feel that you should be able to come onto our family farm and spend a week or two, and we should just get out of your way, FREE of CHARGE. That is unbelievable. The last person who told us that spent several days in jail for trespassing. Do you think somebody just GAVE us these farms? We paid payments for many years for these farms. We skimped and saved to get them. We worked two or three jobs for many years to pay for our farms. And you feel that you should be able to just move in and spend a few days on our family farm and benefit from it without cost. How would you feel if we ask you to get out of the way while we move our family into YOUR living room for our vacation? And by the way...we don't think we should have to pay you any rent while we're there. Can you go to Disney World and spend a few days FREE? Can you go to Vegas and spend a week, FREE?
Quote:
That's double dipping.
Quote:
while taking cash straight from the fish and game (I.e. My double taxed dollars along with many others) and making a nice cash deal at the same time.
Once again...we know of NO FARMERS who get tax dollars from "fish and game" (whatever that is) because of deer on their farms. I don't know where you got such a crazy idea. Even if they do that somewhere, it wouldn't entitle you to free occupation of our family farms.
Quote:
We're all in this big ****ting mess together so drop the self entitled attitude.
"self entitled attitude"....."self entitled attitude"..... You feel that you are ENTITLED to the use of our family farms FREE, and you talk about "self entitled attitude"! You think you are "entitled" to free hunting on our farms. You want us to give you a major part of the family farm income. Are you entitled to free food too? Do you expect to come here and ride our horses and milk our cows free?

We are entitled to our property rights because we PAID for them. But you feel that you should get those rights FREE.

When shtf we will certainly protect our family farms from people like you who think they are "entitled" to our property rights.

Last edited by MikeK; 10-31-2017 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text for language
Old 10-31-2017, 05:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,279 Posts

Too much bureaucracy in hunting, some game wardens cant wait to see the smallest infraction.

Ted Nugent did a hunt in California and they tried to charge his friend the landowner with a felony:

"Ted Nugent Explains California"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDcJ5930B4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM

Clearly that went waaaaay over your head. I'm not talking about the 3 deer in your back yard. I'm referring to a herd of 200 plus head of elk feeding on said range land or more understandably alfalfa fields.

I NEVER said anything even remotely close to "entitled to hunt your land". I only mentioned the intense extreme leftist opposition and attitude given to me by some whom I've asked if "I could possibly help out with their problem".
This sounds completely out of your "pay/lease to hunt" familiar world but out here we try to be neighborly and offer assistance when possible. Especially when we BOTH have something to gain from it like when filling the tag in my wallet will help you produce more feed for your cattle or more bales to sell and feed my family at the same time. It's tradition to offer back some meat in exchange for the opportunity if the hunt is successful.

It's the east coast leftist attitude that gives folks like you such a bad name out here. I'd bet if you had a grazing lease on public land, you would think nobody has a right to hunt that land as well?
Please try to read more carefully to avoid any further confusion regarding situations different from your own. Land use issues vary greatly from region to region, especially when PUBLIC LAND is involved.

These are the "fish and game" tax collection agencies who seem to only manage budgets I was referring to whom you've never heard of.

AK Fish and game
AZ fish and game
CO fish and game
ID fish and game
MT fish and game
NM fish and game
NV fish and game
OR fish and game
UT fish and game
WA fish and game
WY fish and game

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/grants/disaster/elk.aspx