Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elk hunting round duckhunter76 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 42 08-14-2017 01:25 AM
Standard Hunting Scope for Long Range Black Knight Rifle Forum 7 01-17-2017 11:44 PM
Justification Of Deer Hunting Over Bait AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-29-2016 05:00 PM
Deer, elk and antelope... Season's end. mmwb Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 4 11-12-2016 10:17 PM

Old 09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,010 Times in 633 Posts
Default Elk Hunting Stories

Advertise Here

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4231.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	227889

Soon I'm off the Judo mats for several days and on my way to elk camp. If I get one, I will share the story. I love hunting stories. IF YOU HAVE A MEMORABLE ELK HUNTING STORY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE IT.

I'm looking forward to learning several things, as I always do on a trip like this. Mostly because I'm hunting with a guy who is like a second father figure to me, and is extremely knowledgeable at hunting.

I'm hunting with a group of five, most of which will come back to camp during the mid day. This year I am bringing a book, and a water filter, so I can stay out all day, when the other hunters come back to camp. I have a spot on the ranch I want to hunt that I think would be a good mid day hunt. It is a hike, but I have shot an elk there in the past. Not a lot of water there, but there is some if you know where to look.

If I get one I will post the picture, and tell the story. I learn just a little bit more with every hunt.

I have the rifle set up with a 265 yard zero to get a very flat trajectory out to about 320 yards. I also have the ability to dial up and make dead on holds out much further. I plan on limiting myself to around 450 yards, and that shot would have to be right.

I would love to hear stories, and/or share a pic if you want.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,010 Times in 633 Posts

Name:	IMG_4232.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	227913

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	227921

Name:	IMG_4234.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	227929

I thought I would thrown in some pics of my hunting loadout.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,174 Times in 334 Posts

Elk hunting is one of my favorite activities.

I use to hunt with horses. Thats over, my last horse hunt I spent the first 4 days of the season hunting horse. Finely caught if but penned it up for a day of rest where I went out on foot. Hunted all day and heading back, I shot this guy 75 yards from my camp.

You wouldnt believe how bad I wanted to shoot this guy.

My best hunt was with my Granddaughter

Nothing like getting pounded by snow balls while glassing a hillside.

Nothing beats 2 inch choc. pancakes, burnt on the outside, raw in the middle. I feel sorry for her future hubby.

But if you take your granddaughter out of school for 10 days, she's got to keep up on her studies.

Last year I was pouting because I didnt get drawn for my pet area so decided to stay home tell my kid called to say the area in the southern part of the state was overun with elk. So I made a day trip which didnt turn out too bad, only not a lot of hunting, just a quick shot and dragging him to the truck with a 4 wheeler.

Sometimes your luck runs out on draws and you're stuck with cow tags, but they are better eating. Just wish they wouldnt roll down hill to the creek.

In my favorite area all I got was a cow tag for this year. After that I may head south to join my son with a General tag, any elk.

I normally hunt alone, but its more enjoyable, and better memories, when I took my granddaughter.

Take a kid hunting. Makes a better person of the kid and creates memories that last a lot longer the the meat.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kraigwy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 PM
old gunsel

Well there was the time that I got a smallish 5 point bull...
My brother and i were hauling out the hind quarters, there were 4 of us vs one bull,
and they kept getting hung up as we were dragging them along.

Being younger and stronger I decided to heft them up on my shoulders, which worked for a
while... we hadn't skinned them down and the hair was slick, so they kept slipping down
and the flank kept bloodying my shirt. I'd hitch 'em up and they'd slip down, on and on.
So I flipped them over to balance better.

Now the bloody flank was flopped out wide open hanging out behind me.

So I'm walking along, feeling strong, and the beast was still slipping,
so I stopped a minute and hitched them up, once, twice, third times the charm.

Well the elk got its revenge.

Those hind quarters flopped down my chest, the legs tried to pinch my head off,
while the bloody flank wrapped around my face.

I staggered around blind in the sagebrush for a moment,
then got my bearings and dumped the back end off of me.

I ended up covered in blood from the top of my head to my belt.
Blood on my glasses,
and my brothers and Dad unable to move they were laughing so hard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uteguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM

One time I was working along a beautiful basin, bugling every so often.
I noticed an absolutely gorgeous red and white mushroom on the ground in front of me. An Amanita muscaria , quite deadly but really beautiful. I stooped down to look at it and was enthralled by the intense beauty of the mushroom, in the light as it filtered in through the old growth cedars.
I stood up, still enmeshed in the wonder of nature to stare straight into a huge 6 point bull elks eyes, not 10 feet away, as it looked at me. We were both stunned.
It bolted before I could even get my rifle up, and was gone behind a very large fir tree, never to be seen again.
I was empty handed, speechless, and laughing...
Sometimes the bear gets you...

re
The Following User Says Thank You to RedElk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Author of Hitwoman

Thanked 3,975 Times in 2,203 Posts

I've killed a lot of elk, about forty now. But along the lines of RedElk, I also came nose to nose with a nice bull. There I was in the middle of nowhere, the very dark woods, hunkered up and squatting with my britches down--and a bull steps out about 30' away and stares at me. And with my rifle 5' away against a tree, he walked away scott free!