10mm buzzing finger - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default 10mm buzzing finger



Advertise Here

First time shooting my 10mm xdm today. Accuracy was excellent but my trigger finger was buzzing. Like the concussion was starting to give nerve damage. It lasted for only a couple of minutes but was noticeable. Never had that issue with any other pistol caliber and I shoot up to a hot 44 mag. Only reference to it I could find was on hickock45 YouTube video of this exact pistol. His solution was to put a bandaid on his trigger finger. That got me wondering if it is common or is it only this one caliber/pistol combo.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 PM
BigSlick BigSlick is offline
2nd Amendment zealot
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
Posts: 729
Thanks: 3,790
Thanked 1,461 Times in 473 Posts
Default

I "had" that same issue with my G29. Felt like a rubber band snapping my trigger finger. I installed an aftermarket trigger, now all is good. The G20 does fine with the stock trigger.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 12:36 AM
justin22885 justin22885 is online now
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25,919 Times in 8,475 Posts
Default

So you're not the only one that has had this problem with this pistol? What does the trigger on it look like?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2020, 07:30 AM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

It’s a standard trigger with a safety blade on it. Just like any other xd/xdm/xds trigger.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Sal4liberty Sal4liberty is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,684
Thanks: 6,342
Thanked 20,305 Times in 6,221 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Itís a standard trigger with a safety blade on it. Just like any other xd/xdm/xdm trigger.
Do you have the 4.5" or the 5.25" model? I have a 5.25 competition and have not had a problem but I have not shot any of the hot loads yet, just 180 grain 1250 and 1030 fps
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sal4liberty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

It’s the 5.25 comp model. I was pushing it a little with 11.2 grains of blue dot with a speer 180 grain tmj-fp. I worked up from 10 with 0.3 grain increments and i felt it a little at 10.9 and more at 11.2. Stopped there after a 5 round string and all loads shot quite well. All the talk about how hard it is to control and the FBI stopped using it due to its recoil was way overblown. It was way easier to shoot than even a mild 44 mag super blackhawk.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Sal4liberty Sal4liberty is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,684
Thanks: 6,342
Thanked 20,305 Times in 6,221 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Itís the 5.25 comp model. I was pushing it a little with 11.2 grains of blue dot with a speer 180 grain tmj-fp. I worked up from 10 with 0.3 grain increments and i felt it a little at 10.9 and more at 11.2. Stopped there after a 5 round string and all loads shot quite well. All the talk about how hard it is to control and the FBI stopped using it due to its recoil was way overblown. It was way easier to shoot than even a mild 44 mag super blackhawk.
I was amazed at how well my 5.25 shot. My son did have an issue with the grip safety pinching the web of his hand, he has pretty meaty paws where I got skinny hands. He said man this thing just hits here you point .... lol

I will get some hotter loads and see If i get the finger sting and report back to you
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sal4liberty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 11:10 AM
rsutter rsutter is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 640
Thanks: 66
Thanked 983 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Trigger slap. Not sure how to fix it. Probably depends on the specific firearm.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rsutter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutter View Post
Trigger slap. Not sure how to fix it. Probably depends on the specific firearm.
Iíve never had this problem with any other weapon so Iím not so sure its trigger slap. Iíve always been more of someone to hold the trigger back longer than a normal reset time, most of the time. I enjoy doing precision shooting and what Iíve always done to have accurate shots. I wonít rule anything out and will keep an eye on it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
BigSlick BigSlick is offline
2nd Amendment zealot
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
Posts: 729
Thanks: 3,790
Thanked 1,461 Times in 473 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Itís the 5.25 comp model. I was pushing it a little with 11.2 grains of blue dot with a speer 180 grain tmj-fp. I worked up from 10 with 0.3 grain increments and i felt it a little at 10.9 and more at 11.2. Stopped there after a 5 round string and all loads shot quite well. All the talk about how hard it is to control and the FBI stopped using it due to its recoil was way overblown. It was way easier to shoot than even a mild 44 mag super blackhawk.
Get some 165 grain HP's and feed it 12 grains of bluedot and a heavy crimp. My favorite recipe.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 10:06 PM
justin22885 justin22885 is online now
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25,919 Times in 8,475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Iíve never had this problem with any other weapon so Iím not so sure its trigger slap. Iíve always been more of someone to hold the trigger back longer than a normal reset time, most of the time. I enjoy doing precision shooting and what Iíve always done to have accurate shots. I wonít rule anything out and will keep an eye on it.
maybe you just have a rather unlucky combination of hand size and length of pull, holding it in just the right way to get that trigger pressing back on a nerve.. try adjusting your grip and use more of the pad and see if it still does it
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Snyper708's Avatar
Snyper708 Snyper708 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 2,703
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4,306 Times in 1,643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
Itís the 5.25 comp model. I was pushing it a little with 11.2 grains of blue dot with a speer 180 grain tmj-fp. I worked up from 10 with 0.3 grain increments and i felt it a little at 10.9 and more at 11.2. Stopped there after a 5 round string and all loads shot quite well. All the talk about how hard it is to control and the FBI stopped using it due to its recoil was way overblown. It was way easier to shoot than even a mild 44 mag super blackhawk.
The fact it was easy for you isn't an indication of how well it works for the FBI since their firearms need to fit a wide variety of people if they are going to be "standard issue" weapons.

That includes many females and others with smaller hands.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Optimist Optimist is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,975
Thanks: 49,622
Thanked 20,122 Times in 8,553 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
First time shooting my 10mm xdm today. Accuracy was excellent but my trigger finger was buzzing. Like the concussion was starting to give nerve damage. It lasted for only a couple of minutes but was noticeable. Never had that issue with any other pistol caliber and I shoot up to a hot 44 mag. Only reference to it I could find was on hickock45 YouTube video of this exact pistol. His solution was to put a bandaid on his trigger finger. That got me wondering if it is common or is it only this one caliber/pistol combo.
It's a matter of how the trigger is contacting your finger. Due to the way your hand is built, the trigger is tapping the nerve in the finger, causing it to buzz the way your funny bone does when you hit your elbow. I'd try the bandaid on the trigger finger and see if that helps the issue. If it does, you can relieve the trigger surface by the bandaid thickness to stop the trigger hitting on the nerve....

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
maybe you just have a rather unlucky combination of hand size and length of pull, holding it in just the right way to get that trigger pressing back on a nerve.. try adjusting your grip and use more of the pad and see if it still does it
That will also work.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Pol Pol is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 679
Thanks: 1,186
Thanked 1,564 Times in 472 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
All the talk about how hard it is to control and the FBI stopped using it due to its recoil was way overblown.
The FBI had to consider that the gun may be used by a petite female. Whatís ok for you may not be for them. A 9mm is manageable by just about anybody.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
The FBI had to consider that the gun may be used by a petite female. Whatís ok for you may not be for them. A 9mm is manageable by just about anybody.
While I understand that a petite person may have a more difficult time with a larger round shouldnít, with proper training, pretty much anyone be competent on all non magnum semi auto calibers? If that means that the 100lb person needs a few days of extra training then I wouldnít think that was a bad thing. I have seen some smaller women be pretty competent with some large caliber rifles and pistols.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

After taking it out for a second quick two mag practice I had no buzzing finger. Maybe it hit a nerve just right. Maybe it broke in just a little more. Not sure. Put a laser on it and what an amazing flat shooter.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 PM
Optimist Optimist is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,975
Thanks: 49,622
Thanked 20,122 Times in 8,553 Posts
Default

The ten is every bit of that. I had a 1006 back before Y2K, and a couple of others since. The cartridge is a very impressive field round.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
The ten is every bit of that. I had a 1006 back before Y2K, and a couple of others since. The cartridge is a very impressive field round.
Have heard it stated, havenít confirmed yet, that a 10mm at 100yards has as much energy as a 45acp at the barrel. I would definitely call that impressive!
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Optimist Optimist is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,975
Thanks: 49,622
Thanked 20,122 Times in 8,553 Posts
Default

The vehicle I tested against was the .41 Magnum. I've shot deer with both cartridges, and the results were quite similar. BANG! Fresh deer to clean, hang, skin and quarter. The old Silvertip 10mm worked fine for that application.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Offrink Offrink is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 13,141
Thanked 2,740 Times in 1,206 Posts
Default

I’m not sure if the 41 magnum and the 10 mm can be compared. The 41 mag is a revolver round and the 10mm a semi auto. If there was a 41 or 44 mag in a semi auto it would be a very interesting pistol. I like that the xdm 10mm is a 15 +1 pistol. 16 rounds of full power 10mm would be potent for all but the biggest animals.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net