Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Non-Firearm Urban Weapon ? JayOlliver Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 338 08-18-2015 02:51 PM
When is a firearm not considered a firearm? pmprepper Firearms General Discussion 16 04-03-2015 03:33 PM
Firearm vs. Weapon ackbob Firearms General Discussion 14 01-21-2013 10:56 PM
Best and most practical non firearm bob weapon praveenbodaway Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 24 05-20-2012 04:41 PM
Do you consider a firearm a "weapon"? duke nukem Firearms General Discussion 53 04-09-2011 08:55 PM
New Discounted Weapon Light & Weapon Mount Packages, Made in USA Elzetta For Sale 0 09-02-2010 08:35 PM
Next firearm? swampfox210 Firearms General Discussion 20 02-18-2010 10:29 PM
Firearm vs. Weapon radioman Firearms General Discussion 54 11-28-2009 08:53 PM
Personal Defense Weapon (non-firearm) nbX Urban Survival 72 04-08-2009 01:05 PM
weapon shield weapon cleanin product hank2222 Firearms General Discussion 0 12-28-2008 02:17 PM

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids

Thanked 1,239 Times in 690 Posts

Advertise Here

For self defense, think every day items that you have a reason to be carrying. I had a girlfriend who tended bar... she kept a fair sized bag of change in her hand bag. She proved it worked one night/morning while on her way to her car someone came up behind her, on her right side, she ducked left and swung, catching the dude in the back of the head and planting him until the police arrived. I now carry a 16 oz. hammer in my back pack for that reason.

You may already carry a couple of items on you daily. A heavy buckled belt that can be removed quickly makes an excellent defensive tool. A pocket comb, raked across an attackers face or arms, will hurt (aluminum is more aggressive), as will a decent metal pen in a soft tissue area. Please avoid the "keys" between the knuckles thing... I can pm you photos of the results... yup it is my knuckle, or what it is today.

All that being said, consider that I am speaking from the perspective of a Los Angeles resident, your laws may be different. I have a reason to carry my hammer, as did my former GF and her bag of change, and both of us can legitimately carry an umbrella (part of the year), or a walking stick(any time).

IMHO, slingshots, throwing stars, etc. will land you in court with alot of questions to answer. Of course, since the OP is from VT. this may not be an issue. In closing I have one thought.... In VT., who do expect to attack you...Ben & Jerry? ... or has everything changed that much since the 80's when I lived there?

As Wapitichaser says in the next post.. your best weapon is your brain!
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM
East young man, go East!

The best non-gun weapon a person can use is their brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wapitichaser For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM

[B]Hey new here so humor me please. As far as improvised weapons go, almost anything can be used. For non-lethal use, the good old American paintball gun is a sure bet. Not only does it sting like the ****ens when you get hit by it but it can also obscure sight or mark someone/something also. Of course, if you shoot for the eyes, you are probably going to blind someone. A good ballpoint pen or mechanical pencil can be dangerous and you could even use a roll of dimes or pennies in your hand. Hand stunners are good as well. For a really cheap improvised weapon, use a pillowcase with a couple of shoes or books in them. Who says books are harmless?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
..... We saw how effective paintball guns were when the israeli's droped onto that turkish ship with paintball guns to just 'shock and stun'....

They ended up just ****ing off the people they shot at and ended up having to kill them....

Take that into consideration.

If someone i sattacking you, you might as well use lethal force and only leave one side of the story to be heard.

Shock and stun,

I have a Diablo Simi to full automatic paintball gun that can shoot 22 rounds per second if needed. (paintball guns can hold up to 200 rounds)The rounds are not rubber paintballs, those are to light weight, they are painful but have no real stopping power and more than likely what they yous'ed on that ship.

I use A .68 marble Thatís thinly coated with rubber to bring it up to size. They are solid and bone shattering hard, One head shot and it's lights out. Only twice the weight of a regular paintball, Which is fired at 300 fps.
These marble balls can be fired at 600 to 700 fps with the same accuracy,
At close range within a 100 feet more or less they a very effective alternative.

Paintball guns Have come a long way in the last couple of years You would be suprised whats out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marble3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	31697  
The Following User Says Thank You to paintballarmsdealer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM

i would say me hands, feet, and brain. or a the hickory stick if that fails.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris1162 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,093 Posts

One of my first posts here (and it almost got me banned) was asking about (and I will have to use loosely descriptive language so I don't really get banned) a hand held device that boaters use for sending distress signals (and modifications to it). I guess it was the possible mod that got me in trouble, but as long as the pieces are kept separate, they are not illegal by themselves and to be intimidating you don't really need the mod anyway. You would just have to be very accurate as you probably only have time to get one try. But the threat would stop most attackers, although you might have to explain to the attacker how deadly and painful 3,000+ degrees can be.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,166 Times in 3,374 Posts

Skill, experience, and a good knife will serve you well. Start with some formal martial art training, or even boxing.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoptimist View Post
[B]Hey new here so humor me please. As far as improvised weapons go, almost anything can be used. For non-lethal use, the good old American paintball gun is a sure bet. Not only does it sting like the ****ens when you get hit by it but it can also obscure sight or mark someone/something also. Of course, if you shoot for the eyes, you are probably going to blind someone. A good ballpoint pen or mechanical pencil can be dangerous and you could even use a roll of dimes or pennies in your hand. Hand stunners are good as well. For a really cheap improvised weapon, use a pillowcase with a couple of shoes or books in them. Who says books are harmless?
Pulling out a paintball gun will get you shot by a real one damn fast!!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
How about a nice can of Hornet/Wasp spray?
Perfect if you are fighting wasps.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Opinionated old fart.

The problem with non-firearm, or non-lethal weapons: You do not know what kind of weapon or philosophy your opponent has. The likelyhood that you will be attacked by a criminal who refuses to carry a lethal weapon is about the same as being eaten to death by a teddy bear. If you are wanting to defend yourself, but want to omit lethal weapons or firearms, then you aren't taking it seriously.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballarmsdealer View Post
Shock and stun,

I have a Diablo Simi to full automatic paintball gun that can shoot 22 rounds per second if needed. (paintball guns can hold up to 200 rounds)The rounds are not rubber paintballs, those are to light weight, they are painful but have no real stopping power and more than likely what they yous'ed on that ship.

I use A .68 marble Thatís thinly coated with rubber to bring it up to size. They are solid and bone shattering hard, One head shot and it's lights out. Only twice the weight of a regular paintball, Which is fired at 300 fps.
These marble balls can be fired at 600 to 700 fps with the same accuracy,
At close range within a 100 feet more or less they a very effective alternative.

Paintball guns Have come a long way in the last couple of years You would be suprised whats out there.
I play paintball and have a tippman A-5 F/A, and i dont consider it to be a viable weapon
Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,373 Times in 601 Posts

I'm gonna roll with an Elephant with a great White shark on it's back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExNav For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
I play paintball and have a tippman A-5 F/A, and i dont consider it to be a viable weapon

Its not the paintball gun, It's the Ammo you use in the paintball gun

Its not a viable weapon when it's shooting Paintballs.

Although you load marble balls in that paintball gun and its a whole different story and a very viable weapon, Think about it .68Cal. solid marble at 600 feet per sec at close range.

Granted its no match against a real firearm, but the subject line was for non lethal, Best non-firearm weapon?

Besides each situation is different and it's not always someone with a gun you're defending yourself or family against, This just happens to be one of my alternatives.

Want Some?

Michael
Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 AM

Your wits & reflexes with a strong pair of legs and a pair of steel capped boots.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Wasp spray is a very effective non lethal, non firearm. Good range and will have your adversary on the ground crying, before they go to the hospital.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Hiker

Default Who would had ever thought.

The viability of a none firearm .68 callibur air gun that shoots glass bullets

300fps, 400fps, 500fps, 600fps++++ it's in the way that you use it. the ajustibility make's it a universal less lethal or lethal efective alternative at 200 feet or less depending on shot placement.

Airgun energy generally is expressed in foot pounds. It is well worth considering, in practical terms, what a foot pound represents. One foot pound is the energy that a one pound object releases when falling one foot (ignoring the friction of air, which, from a very rough practical sense over very short distances, we may do for very dense objects). Thus, one can roughly consider that a gun firing with a muzzle energy of 12 ft./lbs. is about the same as dropping a 16 oz. hammer head from about 12 feet. Extend that to a 30 ft. drop for a 30 ft/lb. gun. Imagine being hit by that falling hammer head and you are doing a very crude visualization of the gunís potential hitting strength.

muzzle kinetic energy (K) of a .68 callibur air gun and the MB68P Glass bullet.

@ 300fps (K) = 25.0838208 joule or (K) = 18.50 foot-pound

@ 350fps (K) = 34.1418672 joule or (K) = 25.18 foot-pound

@ 400fps (K) = 44.5934592 joule or (K) = 32.89 foot-pound

@ 500fps (K) = 69.67728 joule or (K) = 51.39 foot-pound

@ 600fps (K) = 100.3352832 joule or (K) = 74.00 foot-pound

Here are the impact at target numbers below for 300fps and 400fps up to 100 feet away.

MB68P .68 Caliber 6 Grams 93.5 Grains

Kinetic Energy to Target Feet -----0'---------5'---------25'---------50'-------75í-------100í

MB68P Marble Ball 300fps KE -----18.5-----18.43------18.09------17.76-----17.42-----17.09 Foot Pounds

MB68P Marble Ball 400fps KE -----32.89-----32.82-----32.48------32.15-----31.81-----31.48 Foot Pounds

As you can see there is only a loss of about 0.07 for every 5 feet of distance.

Now if I had been in New Orleans after Katrina when the officials were collecting all the firearms they could find and/or track down in the interests of public safety and testing their new toys.. When they came to my door I could look them straight in the eye and say No or Yes officer which ever the case would have been, Here you go or No firearms here. Secured in the fact that I had a perfectly legal Non Firearm with enough Kinetic force to protect me and my family. Giving me a fighting chance should the need arise.

Michael
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM

That would be the best choice that you will have to choose. This is so because these non-lethal self defense weapons like pepper sprays are legal in all states in the US. It only has restrictions though as to its contents and weight. With regards to stun batons, some states and cities allows it. But the main advantage is that in case you will have to use it, the law could shift towards your side. Further, these self defense weapons are also easy to use and at the same time no practice needed.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Young Adult

Yeah, I pretty much keep my mind open. Usually, at first confrontation, you can count on me using some ninja skills, mostly a defensive style with some offensive bashings thrown in after a good parry... Then if the assailant is not knocked out, I usually throw a ninja star or two at him (2 for 75 cents at a dollar store, preeeetty sweeet) and if all else fails, my limited edition dragon ball z katana with customized etchings WILL be used. My mom says Im not allowed to carry my LEDBZ Katana, but I usually sneak it in my bag before I leave my house, along with my mangas and tactical sneak boots... YEah, pretty much....

Just kidding, I carry a folder on me wherever I go except school. Im in high school, so if I happened to want to carry something to protect me from those gangsta kids, I would be sent to Siberia and buried alive. Zero Tolerance, ya know. Generally, people, if you carry your head high, and have a look of confidence rather than looking like an easy target, no matter how strong or whatever you are, people tend to leave you alone, or even treat you better. But that doesnt mean that you shouldnt be ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fat nerd.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	36404  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

i always keep brass knuckles and a knife everywhere i go
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
" For training in full contact stick fighting I would suggest the SCA. Those silly looking fellows in armor hitting each other with sticks can swing the sticks really hard because their opponent is wearing 16guage steel armor with half an inch or so of padding underneath. So for full contact stick practice, the SCA. Also wearing 80 or 100 pounds of armor for hours at a time while fighting promotes general fitness."

I am one of those silly looking fellows! I personaly have been fighting in the SCA off and on for over twenty years. I personaly can dent a twelve gauge stainless steel helmet with a rataan stick, one handed, in combat. I say in combat because there is a big difference between doing something under ideal conditions, setting up your perfect shot while the other guy stands still and braced- as opposed to doing it while you are moving, positioning, blocking shots the other guy is throwing at you while he is trying not to be hit. I am not a big guy BTW.
I have learned situational awareness in combat, footwork, how to control range, timing, shot placement, fakes, how to be hit and not be shocked by it. I can use any weapon or combination we use effectivly, some better than others. I can succesfully fight multiple oponants. All this and while I'm pretty good, I'm not great by any stretch. There are many who can walk me up and down the field and leave me wondering what just happened!
Of course, we do have rules- no hitting from the knees down. No hitting the hands, no grappeling, no striking with anything but your weapon. These are to insure safety- we want to "kill' our friends, not hurt them!
So yes, a stick, some training, and some full speed, full contact fighting will definitly give you a defensive leg up against anything short of a gun.

YouTube- Medieval Warriors in a Campground in Pennsylvania

John
That is pretty rad. Lol gottta see if there is one of those in cali.