Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Non-Firearm Urban Weapon ? JayOlliver Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 338 08-18-2015 02:51 PM
When is a firearm not considered a firearm? pmprepper Firearms General Discussion 16 04-03-2015 03:33 PM
Firearm vs. Weapon ackbob Firearms General Discussion 14 01-21-2013 10:56 PM
Best and most practical non firearm bob weapon praveenbodaway Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 24 05-20-2012 04:41 PM
Do you consider a firearm a "weapon"? duke nukem Firearms General Discussion 53 04-09-2011 08:55 PM
New Discounted Weapon Light & Weapon Mount Packages, Made in USA Elzetta For Sale 0 09-02-2010 08:35 PM
Next firearm? swampfox210 Firearms General Discussion 20 02-18-2010 10:29 PM
Firearm vs. Weapon radioman Firearms General Discussion 54 11-28-2009 08:53 PM
Personal Defense Weapon (non-firearm) nbX Urban Survival 72 04-08-2009 01:05 PM
weapon shield weapon cleanin product hank2222 Firearms General Discussion 0 12-28-2008 02:17 PM

Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
day late & a dollar short

Advertise Here

" For training in full contact stick fighting I would suggest the SCA. Those silly looking fellows in armor hitting each other with sticks can swing the sticks really hard because their opponent is wearing 16guage steel armor with half an inch or so of padding underneath. So for full contact stick practice, the SCA. Also wearing 80 or 100 pounds of armor for hours at a time while fighting promotes general fitness."

I am one of those silly looking fellows! I personaly have been fighting in the SCA off and on for over twenty years. I personaly can dent a twelve gauge stainless steel helmet with a rataan stick, one handed, in combat. I say in combat because there is a big difference between doing something under ideal conditions, setting up your perfect shot while the other guy stands still and braced- as opposed to doing it while you are moving, positioning, blocking shots the other guy is throwing at you while he is trying not to be hit. I am not a big guy BTW.
I have learned situational awareness in combat, footwork, how to control range, timing, shot placement, fakes, how to be hit and not be shocked by it. I can use any weapon or combination we use effectivly, some better than others. I can succesfully fight multiple oponants. All this and while I'm pretty good, I'm not great by any stretch. There are many who can walk me up and down the field and leave me wondering what just happened!
Of course, we do have rules- no hitting from the knees down. No hitting the hands, no grappeling, no striking with anything but your weapon. These are to insure safety- we want to "kill' our friends, not hurt them!
So yes, a stick, some training, and some full speed, full contact fighting will definitly give you a defensive leg up against anything short of a gun.

John
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM

For non lethal I love the pepper spray (foam) and then really I would think to improvise a weapon from my surroundings. If I am going somewhere I can calculate my risk I can prepare from there but just for everyday walking around I keep pepper spray on me.

There are pieces in my car etc but you can't always be near it and you can't carry things everywhere,
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
"
I am one of those silly looking fellows! I personaly have been fighting in the SCA off and on for over twenty years. I personaly can dent a twelve gauge stainless steel helmet with a rataan stick, one handed, in combat. I say in combat because there is a big difference between doing something under ideal conditions, setting up your perfect shot while the other guy stands still and braced- as opposed to doing it while you are moving, positioning, blocking shots the other guy is throwing at you while he is trying not to be hit. I am not a big guy BTW.

YouTube- Medieval Warriors in a Campground in Pennsylvania

John
Ah, the memories. Listening to girls put on their cold chainmail bikinis in the morning at Pennsic. Long time agone.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
I love this forum

Arrow Hmmm...?

For everyday carry I have my Benchmade 555HG-PNK that has a 3" blade. I used to have pepper spray but they loose pressure or leak after some time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Benchmade 555HG-PNK.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	29128

At home I have a T-Ball Bat (a small baseball bat) with a cord wrapped handle by the door along with my Lawn & Garden 26" Double-Edge Machete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold Steel Double Edge Machete.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	29129

Expandable batons...? If they're made out of good steel and not that CHINA CRAP. You want it to break someone's head not the baton.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Most places require a training certificate for ASP batons. I had to complete this for an armed security position. In the course they told me that I am not allowed to strike anyone in the head or in any joints. (Basically, you can't hit someone anywhere that will definately knock them down.) I have been in a coulple of situations that called for a baton, and in my experience they are best utilized as a grappling tool. Wrap it under the chin and control the assailant's head all the way to the ground. I prefer this to any other non-lethals. Sometimes spraying someone with OC results in a really ****ed-off and temporarily blind guy flailing around and swinging wildly. ASP baton all the way!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Trapper

For a quick and easy carry. That does not look like a weapon is always a good idea if possible. Of course anywhere you are at your immediate surroundings can provide you with a lot of improvised weapons. Everything from a mop to a stick. Depends on where you are at urban, surburban or rural. Since I live in urban and surbuan settings I always keep a couple rolls of quarteds and some womans hose. Seperate they look like innocent items. Combined you can knock someone on there arse with a swing. And if you need closer combat use a good cotton tube sock.

Also a can of hair spray and a a lighter. Has to be aerosal. You can make up a mini torch in a matter of seconds.

And then if you need a quick getaway diversion. Powder coffee cream. You know like you find at your local gas station or in your hotel room. Its made up of animal protein. When sprinkled over a heat source like a bic lighter the powdered coffee cream ignites and burns out real quick. It will startle your opponent enough to give you a head start.

My dad was a WWII vet and always said he had to runaway somtime to fight another day.

I found some deals on large alice packs. 2 for $50.00 on www.CJLENTERPRIZE.com

Think I am going to try to find my other shoe now. Dog has been to quiet.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post

I hope the gang-bangers and/or people trying to rob and attack you will afford you the same courtesy..

Surely you can't be serious.
As kids, we used to have slingshot wars in the woods

Get a friggin concealed handgun and consider yourself well-armed. This is the United States of America!

I thought the thread was about non fire arm weapons. If that is the case I havfe to agree that a sling shot (wrist rocket) is not a bad choice.

Mace is nice but you have to be close. a flare gun is nicer but I consider it a fire arm even thhoug the law does not, so I do ont include it here.

The can of hair spray is nice but again very close proximicty is requird.

With the sling shot (not the patch on two strings that I call a sling), you can even use the coins in your pocket. You can even file the coin edges to make them sharp and cutting.

What is the effective range of a sling shot, 30 yards or so.

Any way that is my thoughts on the subject.

As far as I know, it is not illegal to posesss a sling shot and if you have no ball bearings in your pocket it will most likely be over looked by any officer.

Lug nuts work great to. Car, lug nuts, well, it is a affimitive defense.

later
wayne
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogathor View Post
Ah, the memories. Listening to girls put on their cold chainmail bikinis in the morning at Pennsic. Long time agone.
damm it boy, I have seen a tin foil bikini but I have never seen a cahin mail one.

Any chance of a pix.

later
wayne
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldWayneHamlin View Post
damm it boy, I have seen a tin foil bikini but I have never seen a cahin mail one.

Any chance of a pix.

later
wayne
lol, so he attends medieval strip clubs, and you attend tin foil hat conspiracy strip clubs?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Miles togo before I sleep

How about a nice can of Hornet/Wasp spray?
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Default Re: Best non-firearm weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
lol, so he attends medieval strip clubs, and you attend tin foil hat conspiracy strip clubs?

Well, the pix I saw was not dealing with the head at all.

later
wayne
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Stack It Deep.

Pepper spray does nothing against seasoned/hardened/intoxicated criminals intent on killing you. It just makes them more intent on doing so, and scares the [email protected]#$ out of you, when you see the effect it has on the perp.

Never pull a weapon you do not intend to use. Carry a knife on you at all (legal) times, 6-8" if your laws allow it. You can more easily injure but not kill a perp with a knife than a firearm, at least in close quarters.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

non firearm? or non lethal? id get a tomahawk and a medium sized knife and few other things.If you want non lethal to make a badguy have tears but still try to kill you id get the pepper spray.I will tell you this from experience guys who are gassed in prison repeatedly come to the point where they still function after they have been sprayed and will fight no problem with tears streaming down thier faces.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Hiker

I have an oak cane. Hard as a rock tough as steel and 50 states legal. I have problems with my knees and can provide a doctors note if it is questioned. OC spray is great but not legal everywhere. Ball peen hammer is good and legal nearly everywhere and the weapon of choice of some motorcycle gangs. Tazer is good also but not always legal.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Fire/EMS

I'd say a decent Machete. Though it probably depends on how good you are with the weapon. My 22" machete isnt much good if you can throw that rock good.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 PM

My non-lethal weapon of choice....a good pair of Nike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSJim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,550 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwaffen View Post
I was thinking of picking up some pepper spray and an expandable baton. Any better suggestions or suggestions for products I mentioned?
If you get any less lethal device you need to get proper training with it to make the purchase worth it. The exp. baton is a great tool but just like with guns, its almost usless without training.

What are these items going to be used for; CCW/EDC, SHTF prep, home protection...?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Hiker

I always keep my paintball gun handy, it holds 200 pepperball and/or rubber coated marble rounds, it makes any bad guy run for their life. A knife and good pair of nikes wouldnt hurt to have either.

Michael
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballarmsdealer View Post
I always keep my paintball gun handy, it holds 200 pepperball and/or rubber coated marble rounds, it makes any bad guy run for their life. A knife and good pair of nikes wouldnt hurt to have either.

Michael
..... We saw how effective paintball guns were when the israeli's droped onto that turkish ship with paintball guns to just 'shock and stun'....

They ended up just ****ing off the people they shot at and ended up having to kill them....

Take that into consideration.

If someone i sattacking you, you might as well use lethal force and only leave one side of the story to be heard.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Doc

Nikes? LOL, too funny