Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold Sore Remedy? 2feathers75 Health, Fitness and First Aid 39 12-20-2015 12:30 AM
Running Help Needed - Sore Ankle Hunter8282 Health, Fitness and First Aid 25 05-12-2014 12:38 PM
Senator Obvious is also a sore loser... korbas Political News and Discussion 6 04-18-2013 01:53 PM
What are your sore throat remedies? northwoodsdude Health, Fitness and First Aid 52 02-13-2013 08:47 PM
sore throat stroyeror Health, Fitness and First Aid 17 09-18-2012 07:02 AM
Sore Shoulder Belifend Rifle Forum 17 06-17-2011 11:10 PM
Make those tired feet feel like new Ericus Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 02-05-2011 11:12 AM
My shoulder is sore swwjeff Firearms General Discussion 1 04-19-2009 04:44 AM

Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Target Shooter

Talking Tired. Sore feet

Advertise Here

Besides the obvious, getting off of them, any thing else out on the trail one couldo for tired achy feet? Maybe carry some Epsom salt?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trooper2221 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,469 Posts

Better shoes or better insoles. I don't hike in boots, I hike in trail runners and never have sore or tired feet after 10 miles. I do stop once or twice a day to let them air and take a break, especially if I can let them soak in cool water. Many LD hikers recommend Superfeet insoles, but their insoles doesn't work for me...good insoles and/or boots/shoes can make a world of difference!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,495 Times in 11,525 Posts

First, Make darn sure your boots, or whatever your wearing, fit correctly, one thing i dont mind spending hard earned money on, is good boots. Older Chippewa (snake/swamp running/camping) , Danner (Everyday/ work), Asolo "Classic"( Hiking /Camping) Icon "Elsinore" (street and trail Riding)

Have them fitted to you, for your size/width and have arch supports made. I wear a size 9 "B" with a extremely high arch .needless to say, I cant buy boots at wallmart. Nothing makes your feet hurt more than a improperly fitted pair of boots.

Also make sure that you Have them broken in before wearing out on say a 5 mile hike.
lot of care and feeding goes into a pair of well fitted boots.

Next is socks. I like Wigwam wool socks in either Hiking or -40, or the GI anti microbial
(green) socks. carry a couple of extra sets with ya, when you go out on a thru the woods stroll,(hiking) and change em when they get wet or sweaty, hang the wet set on your pack, and when dry change again when the set your wearing get wet. always keep yer feet dry, laces tight. Lil bit of gold bond powder on yer feet and in yer boots helps as well. A lot....

If I woulda done that with my clothes as well, wouldn't have problems with the occasional out break of Jungle Rot I have from time to time....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

superfeet is very good, but they make my feet hurt more. I'm better off with the cheap insoles that came with my shoes.

maybe heat molded semi-custom next. if not, then maybe a doctor's visit for true custom.

what to do on the trail? good question. maybe arnica gel or other topical solution? Maybe two different pairs of shoes... sandals for resting/camp?
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,913 Times in 2,696 Posts

Getting used to being on them more, and if they are getting swollen and sore, resting with your feet a bit elevated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,420 Times in 3,809 Posts

Ranger Candy. Ibuprofen. 4 x 200mg non-prescription anti-inflammatory tabs every 8 hours... for those tough days.

Foam flip flops for camp use or long rest/meal halts. Featherweight & give your feet both a comfort break and a chance to air out.

Icy Hot balm or cream topical analgesic. Also good for sore back/shoulder/leg muscles.

http://www.icyhot.com/balm/

If you're somewhere near a stream or lake, soak your feet in icy cold water. It will reduce swelling/inflammation. For about 15-20 minutes. Like ice pack therapy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,779 Times in 3,597 Posts

The above suggestions are good...

Also:

Good old fashioned cornstarch is a good foot powder (no talc or perfume!) and it's cheap.

If your feet start to swell, loosen the laces some. If the boot laces are too tight, they'll impede circulation and cause pain. Make sure the laces aren't too tight to begin with. Loose in the front, firm at the ankle, and loose in the calf. Use flat cotton laces instead of round or synthetic laces (either/both cut into the foot/ankle/leg).

Stay properly hydrated and don't deplete your electrolytes. Either can contribute to painful feet/ankles/legs...

Do your boots force your legs forward or cut into your achilles tendon or cause achiness/pain in the calf? If so, get rid of the boots immediately and get some that don't do this , otherwise you'll end up with debilitating tendonitis. You may need a canvas or ballistic nylon upper part of the boot that is flexible. A possibility if you have very muscular or fat calves and/or the boots are tall.

If your feet are getting really, really hot inside the boots, consider switching to some that have canvas or ballistic nylon parts so there is some ventilation.

Reduce the weight you're carrying, put more of it toward the top of the pack, get a good hip belt or more padding, add padding to shoulder straps, and/or put as much of it as close to your body as possible. Too-heavy, uncomfortable, and/or unbalanced loads cause unnatural gaits and pain.

When your feet start to hurt and you want/need to keep going, turn around and walk backwards for several steps/a short way. Don't know why this helps, but it does. Be careful not to fall, bump into something, or get hit by a car, bike, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,271 Times in 698 Posts

Pretty much what everyone else said:

-Get boots that fit and a quality insole
-Quality socks are a must (maybe even bring a second pair to change socks mid-trip). I like Thorlos and they last well too.
- Bring a pair of flip flops, crocs, etc for wearing around camp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 07:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,359 Times in 4,319 Posts

We use hammocks when we backpack, and after pounding our 15-17 miles a day, your puppies get pretty tired.

Foot care is critical. First, keep your feet dry as much as possible. I only wear merino wool or bamboo socks and if my feet feel wet at all, I'll swap to a pair of dry socks. As mentioned, your footwear selection is important and they shouldn't be tight fitting as your feet will swell. As mentioned, keeping circulation is a must.

As soon as we get into camp, I'll switch to a light pair of sandals (Zero Shoes). This is really just to air them out and lets me dry my socks. I might not always do a full body wash, but I almost always wash my feet and massage them. My wife actually carries and uses a small tube of peppermint foot lotion from Dr. Bronners (no real threat from black bears). The best part is getting my feet elevated when in the hammock.

I don't get blisters anymore unless my feet are soaking wet and I don't take the time to change socks and try to push on another five or six miles. You can use alcohol from your stove (if that's what you carry) to wipe down and dry off your feet. A few alcohol prep pads from your FAK work wonders too. Dry, clean feet are most often healthy and happy feet.

Foot care is extremely important to me, but I don't baby them. I try to give them as much exposure as possible and prefer to wear barefoot shoes almost exclusively to maintain my arch strength and run/walk mostly on the balls and mids of my feet. That's for another discussion, but taking care of your feet should be all the time and not just on the trail.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,913 Times in 2,696 Posts

Oh, a small note on getting boots which fit: don't get boots which just fit right when you're not walking, for hiking boots/shoes. While you're walking, your feet will swell (howmuch, only you will know), so keep that in mind when you buy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,298 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
Oh, a small note on getting boots which fit: don't get boots which just fit right when you're not walking, for hiking boots/shoes. While you're walking, your feet will swell (howmuch, only you will know), so keep that in mind when you buy.
I will second this notion.

My boots are a bit loose in store, but after a good few hours working they're nice and snug.

Some boots offer larger toe boxes and wider heel options, so you don't have to necessarily go up a size.

Last edited by ManVsLawn; 07-23-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Auto correct
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Master Mason

Thanked 6,097 Times in 1,774 Posts

Get a box of Domeboro. Soak your feet in room temperature water for 30 minutes. They have it at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart.

That stuff works. I swear by it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

I've had foot problems . Arch problems , tired aching feet .
Finally found what works for me ;
Good quality merino wool hiking socks
Good quality insert with arch support .
Timberland boots . I know there are better quality boots out there but I've never found boots that were easier on my feat or more comfortable .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

Custom insoles are nice, but expensive if your insurance won't cover it.

Superfeet aren't bad for a cheaper solution.

The main thing is good, comfortable shoes or boots that are well broken in, along with being in shape and not overweight.

Like Rocky, I also go barefoot or barefoot shoes as much as possible to keep my foot muscles toned.

Az
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,164 Posts

Insoles, but you have to go to your local shoestore or redwing dealer. They have a machine you stand on that measures where the pressure is. Your wasting your time if you dont do this. Expect to pay around $50 for them though. Best money I ever spent, no more sore feet. And I use quality boots but the insoles make all the difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 PM

Place a small teaspoon of GP Cement into your morning coffee and harden the **** up
The Following User Says Thank You to bogrotten For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
Insoles, but you have to go to your local shoestore or redwing dealer. They have a machine you stand on that measures where the pressure is. Your wasting your time if you dont do this. Expect to pay around $50 for them though. Best money I ever spent, no more sore feet. And I use quality boots but the insoles make all the difference.
are you talking about superfeet or something else?
Old 07-23-2016, 08:18 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogrotten View Post
Place a small teaspoon of GP Cement into your morning coffee and harden the **** up
this is actually really bad advice.

for years i thought i was weak, so i hardened up. i ignored the pain and pushed through. When it really hurt, I thought i was being weak, so i pushed even harder.

i almost lost a leg due to this mentality.

knowing your body, knowing when to harden up, knowing when to slow down... very important.

I'm guessing that you're young and never found yourself in a position where pushing through was the wrong choice?
Old 07-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
are you talking about superfeet or something else?
Def not superfeet. The ones I got are what redwing sells but I know people who went to a local shoe store and got some may be same with different branding. I have high arches and it made a world of difference.

I bought two pairs and switch them between boots now. Between them and darntough socks I am feet happy now.

It took me years to learn that it isnt always the boots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 PM
I love this forum

Redwing ! Thanks!