Modern Minuteman - a "theoretical" discussion - Page 178 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern/Best version of "Quick Clot" bandage? Reason Health, Fitness and First Aid 45 08-12-2018 03:51 PM
What modern "tactical" add ons do you use and find practical? indie Firearms General Discussion 110 10-17-2017 12:51 AM
Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says Creek Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 60 10-12-2017 10:47 AM
Assange, WikiLeaks and "The modern woman is a whore and no man is safe" Brad in Seattle Political News and Discussion 2 07-28-2016 01:12 AM
Huh!..."For Nearly Two Decades the Nuclear Launch Code at all Minuteman Silos was..." Athanasius General Discussion 62 12-18-2013 11:32 AM
Thread for modern "wild man" postings THE_HUNTERIAM Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 11-13-2013 05:31 PM
Unable to access any of the threads in "General Discussion" The Grand Baboon Site Information & Suggestion Box 4 02-20-2013 06:43 PM
Survival style theoretical discussion JaySlay Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 03-13-2012 10:31 PM
"Loot, plunder and become a modern day pirate." fcb98292 Urban Survival 74 02-28-2010 12:36 AM

Old 05-19-2019, 03:00 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,128 Times in 4,393 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
No Call of Duty back then. How did people learn anything?

Tiddlywinks really builds coordination.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 03:21 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,587 Times in 3,345 Posts

Quote:

Call of duty is how leftists train for SHTF

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Some of them still had to practice rugged individualism to survive. Nowadays "Minutemen" are primarily LARPer's that chose not to serve in the military. Everyone wants to be in the Infantry until it's time to do Infantry SH*&.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,529 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
Some of them still had to practice rugged individualism to survive. Nowadays "Minutemen" are primarily LARPer's that chose not to serve in the military. Everyone wants to be in the Infantry until it's time to do Infantry SH*&.
Meh - there are lots of reasons not to serve in the military, even if you're a patriot. Military service, in itself, doesn't make us better than anyone else. But acting like it does kinda makes one a ****head.

21 years in this month, with 9 deployments. It's only one way among many to serve the country.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
Meh - there are lots of reasons not to serve in the military, even if you're a patriot. Military service, in itself, doesn't make us better than anyone else. But acting like it does kinda makes one a ****head.

21 years in this month, with 9 deployments. It's only one way among many to serve the country.
It's the best way, and most honorable, if one isn't prevented or disqualified from service.

I dont look down on people who didn't serve, but I take what service members say and veterans say more to heart, and put more weight into their opinions than others. We often see things differently and see and understand life differently because we can be placed in unique and often scarring experiences that there just isn't a parallel to in the civilian world.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,198 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:

Arma3 is the choice of the real Chairborne now....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,128 Times in 4,393 Posts

More like this. Because that NV is full of it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely right because even most current members of the armed forces, veterans, and first responders would not perform their roles without government pay, government indemnity, and government approval. Takes those three things away and they will as a whole stay home on the couch along with the rest of America.

True patriotism is dead.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
More like this. Because that NV is full of it.
Yea, I know, but I blame it on the protein shakes.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
It's the best way, and most honorable, if one isn't prevented or disqualified from service.
Again, meh. It's a very honorable way, but it's part of a larger system and there would be nothing to serve if others weren't also doing their honorable parts. And at the end of the day, the military has good people and bad people, *******s and nice folks, the best and sometimes the worst leaders, etc.

And even for the people who join out of a sense of service itself, a lot of them stay simply because they like going to war, or because they like being part of something very concrete that's bigger than themselves. "It's all about the man next to you," said Hoot.

Quote:
I dont look down on people who didn't serve, but I take what service members say and veterans say more to heart, and put more weight into their opinions than others. We often see things differently and see and understand life differently because we can be placed in unique and often scarring experiences that there just isn't a parallel to in the civilian world.
Can't disagree with the second part. On the first part, I take what they say more seriously on certain topics. Getting a little sand in your boots doesn't mean I'll defer to you on political ideology, or the best form of governance, or religion and faith, or parenting, etc.

Or, frankly, issues of militias or Minutemen...the topic of this thread. Unless you're a Green Beret or a few select other career fields, or have direct experience working with them, most military members don't know anything about it beyond modern infantry tactics.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
You are absolutely right because even most current members of the armed forces, veterans, and first responders would not perform their roles without government pay, government indemnity, and government approval. Takes those three things away and they will as a whole stay home on the couch along with the rest of America.
Not what I meant, but I can't disagree that it applies to a lot of people. That said, a lot of people ruck up and move out for a pittance of pay compared to the risk...so it certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

Patriotism isn't dead; we've just forgotten what it means as a society. But we will learn again and it won't be fun.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Again, meh. It's a very honorable way, but it's part of a larger system and there would be nothing to serve if others weren't also doing their honorable parts. And at the end of the day, the military has good people and bad people, *******s and nice folks, the best and sometimes the worst leaders, etc.

And even for the people who join out of a sense of service itself, a lot of them stay simply because they like going to war, or because they like being part of something very concrete that's bigger than themselves. "It's all about the man next to you," said Hoot.

Can't disagree with the second part. On the first part, I take what they say more seriously on certain topics. Getting a little sand in your boots doesn't mean I'll defer to you on political ideology, or the best form of governance, or religion and faith, or parenting, etc.

Or, frankly, issues of militias or Minutemen...the topic of this thread. Unless you're a Green Beret or a few select other career fields, or have direct experience working with them, most military members don't know anything about it beyond modern infantry tactics.
Well a good portion of us aren't random REMFs, so my points still stand.

And don't be difficult for no reason, I obviously wouldn't consult a infantry veteran for legal advice or open heart surgery questions. It doesn't need explaining I am talking about general civic / political / social / survival issues.

And veterans and survivalists in general are the best crowd to discuss minutemen with. People who actually either posses the skills required or have been trained in guerrilla / jungle / mountain warfare etc.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,540 Times in 5,595 Posts

My wife was a Critical Care ICU nurse in some big trauma hospitals. She saved a lot of lives, more than she would remember if you asked her. Then she got injured at work trying to stop a really obese patient from falling and getting hurt. She can't work any more.

My neighbor is a volunteer EMT and firefighter. During any hour of the day I can hear him ripping down the road, going on another call.

I'm a veteran. The number of lives I've saved during my whole life is zero.

Are their opinions is any less important than that of any veteran? Nah I don't think so.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
My wife was a Critical Care ICU nurse in some big trauma hospitals. She saved a lot of lives, more than she would remember if you asked her. Then she got injured at work trying to stop a really obese patient from falling and getting hurt. She can't work any more.

My neighbor is a volunteer EMT and firefighter. During any hour of the day I can hear him ripping down the road, going on another call.

Are their opinions is any less important than that of any veteran? Nah I don't think so.

Are we going to just nitpick that statement and come up with anecdotes? Lol.

Lile any other, that statement is not necessarily absolute and exceptions exist for every rule.

I choose to value a veterans voice over others generally speaking. It's a personal choice. Kind of hope we can move on from it lol.

I don't know what it has to do with modern minutemen lol.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,540 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote:
Are we going to just nitpick that statement and come up with anecdotes? Lol.

Lile any other, that statement is not necessarily absolute and exceptions exist for every rule.

I choose to value a veterans voice over others generally speaking. It's a personal choice. Kind of hope we can move on from it lol.

I don't know what it has to do with modern minutemen lol.

Well I do get it. Veteran = shared experience = instant bonding on a certain level. But people of all important professions will feel the same way (nurses, EMTs, etc).

IDK what it has to do with MM either but I thought you brought it up

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Well I do get it. Veteran = shared experience = instant bonding on a certain level. But people of all important professions will feel the same way (nurses, EMTs, etc).

IDK what it has to do with MM either but I thought you brought it up

Haha then we agree.

I don't remember, oh well.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:28 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 3,348 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:

Believe it or not by just serving you saved lives. You may not realize it but standing there where others will not stops very bad men from doing bad things to our countrymen. Just by serving, no matter your MOS you did something that enabled others to save lives.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Believe it or not by just serving you saved lives. You may not realize it but standing there where others will not stops very bad men from doing bad things to our countrymen. Just by serving, no matter your MOS you did something that enabled others to save lives.
Well said.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 AM
Stop YOLOing

Quote:
And don't be difficult for no reason, I obviously wouldn't consult a infantry veteran for legal advice or open heart surgery questions. It doesn't need explaining I am talking about general civic / political / social / survival issues.
Well, it wasn't for no reason. As an example from this post, I see no reason to think an infantryman (or any other military occupation) has more insight into general politics than any other citizen, just because he or she is a vet. Several times I've asked groups of active duty folks if they've actually read the Constitution. I stopped being surprised by the answers. These are people who swore their lives to support and defend the principles and processes in a document they've never actually read.

I think these things are important to a discussion of traditional citizens' militias, for several reasons, but I'm happy to drop it and move on.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,431 Times in 6,154 Posts

Quote:

By playing Cowboys and Indians for REAL with quarter rarely asked for nor given by either side. S/FI! Brother
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post: