Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter RVing in a truck camper pop-up Proyas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 10-06-2009 02:46 AM

Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Here is one you don't see every day. 1982 Coachmen motorhome on a Chevy truck chassis and a 6.2 liter diesel. Old man that bought it new just died. Supposed to only have 7000 miles on it. $4000 or "best offer." I bet it gets 16-17 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_133755707.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	155177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_133819636.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	155185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_133857368.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	155193  
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Hi Abby- I've been down this road a bunch of times, and have written about it on a site called "goin' rv bnoondocking". Look in the custom rv tab for van trailer combo idea, then my reply- from MASTERRICK. I thinkl you'll be able to make a good decision for your needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Fortune For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 PM

more like 6-7 mpg-REALLY
Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,888 Times in 992 Posts

I see a lot of older RV's talked about in this thread but, there's one very important thing to know about any RV's that are 10 years or older. There are rv parks that won't let you stay there based on the year of your rig. I was threatened with a call to the cops at the first one I stayed at in Portland after my last trip down from Alaska. Then moved to the other side of Portland after calling about 10 places, got to stay there 2 weeks and they booted us again. They had empty spots all over those sites but, it was all about keeping things on the newer side of things.

As for decent rates in campsites, I used my 96 Class C for work in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Jose. The Phoenix site I got was $250 a month but, that was Summer rates. The owner said "You were here for Summer Rates, I'll keep the same rates until you leave. That was totally sweet especially since the place I was working for paid me $1000 a week per diem. I paid $6500 for my RV and it paid for itself in less than 2 months. Vegas, that's another story, got setup in a crap hole of an rv park there, old rv's all around, full timers that planned to die right there one day.. San Jose was $950 a month outside of town and that was about the 20th place I called looking for a site. I only stayed there for 2 months, then quit the job and went home.

After I left Phoenix, I was back home working for the same company again and got a call to go to Ireland for a year.. No RV that time but, another great deal.. They paid for everything except what I ate or drank, paid me $179 a day per diem, and 90k a year salary with trips back home every 3 months 1st class both ways.. But I digress.

I'm planning on doing the full time RV deal and for work I can do computer drafting to draw floor plans from anywhere in the country as long as I have access to the internet. If that takes going to a starbucks or local library, that'll be fine.

My Class C has 2 single beds in the back and I plan to make that into a bunkbed on one side and a desk on the other side to work from.. And I can still sleep 6 more people in there.. And I get 10mpg with my 454 whether I'm towing my Wrangler or not.. Keeping the speed down is the best thing.. The class C's have a little better aerodynamics than class A's do from my point of view.. Plus two can sleep over head of the steering area as well.

I did my 20 in the military so I have a check coming in each month and full medical for what it's worth.

I'll need to find a mail forwarding address that I can use and change my location each time I move.

Check out Amazon's workamper force. They hire about this time of year and you're done on the 23rd of December. DisneyWorld in Orlando also has a substantial workamper force. Not great wages at either place but, it keeps you active.

Lots of rv'ers develop websites or write blogs for extra money too..
Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Just bought my first Travel Trailer. If my wife kicks divorces me that's where I'll be living.
The Following User Says Thank You to DayAfterTomorrow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,469 Posts

The ten year rule is true, however I have talked to many people that have older rigs, but due to their really nice condition, were fine. If it looks newer, then I don't think anyone is going to question it as long as it looks nice. Most RVers report that they've never been asked the age of their rig at the time of booking or on arrival. If anything, just lie.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

I know two couples that sold their houses and bought nice Class A motorhomes. They are in years 2 and 3 of full-time RVing. The chances of being successful seem highest in a Class A or fifth wheel. That is what most full-timers travel in.

I would not want to try it an old Class B that has not been taken care of. Rvs are not that well made to begin with and they tempermental as they age. Having a unit that looks decent and is from this century is a huge advantage. It helps if everything works.

I am planning a trip to AZ next week. As an example I could not get the furnace to work. The weather says 20s at night around Flagstaff. All it took was a piece of paper between the contacts on the thermostat and now it works fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:03 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,888 Times in 992 Posts

I see a lot of older RV's talked about in this thread but, there's one very important thing to know about any RV's that are 10 years or older. There are rv parks that won't let you stay there based on the year of your rig. I was threatened with a call to the cops at the first one I stayed at in Portland after my last trip down from Alaska. Then moved to the other side of Portland after calling about 10 places, got to stay there 2 weeks and they booted us again. They had empty spots all over those sites but, it was all about keeping things on the newer side of things.

As for decent rates in campsites, I used my 96 Class C for work in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Jose. The Phoenix site I got was $250 a month but, that was Summer rates. The owner said "You were here for Summer Rates, I'll keep the same rates until you leave. That was totally sweet especially since the place I was working for paid me $1000 a week per diem. I paid $6500 for my RV and it paid for itself in less than 2 months. Vegas, that's another story, got setup in a crap hole of an rv park there, old rv's all around, full timers that planned to die right there one day.. San Jose was $950 a month outside of town and that was about the 20th place I called looking for a site. I only stayed there for 2 months, then quit the job and went home.

After I left Phoenix, I was back home working for the same company again and got a call to go to Ireland for a year.. No RV that time but, another great deal.. They paid for everything except what I ate or drank, paid me $179 a day per diem, and 90k a year salary with trips back home every 3 months 1st class both ways.. But I digress.

I'm planning on doing the full time RV deal and for work I can do computer drafting to draw floor plans from anywhere in the country as long as I have access to the internet. If that takes going to a starbucks or local library, that'll be fine.

My Class C has 2 single beds in the back and I plan to make that into a bunkbed on one side and a desk on the other side to work from.. And I can still sleep 6 more people in there.. And I get 10mpg with my 454 whether I'm towing my Wrangler or not.. Keeping the speed down is the best thing.. The class C's have a little better aerodynamics than class A's do from my point of view.. Plus two can sleep over head of the steering area as well.

I did my 20 in the military so I have a check coming in each month and full medical for what it's worth.

I'll need to find a mail forwarding address that I can use and change my location each time I move.

Check out Amazon's workamper force. They hire about this time of year and you're done on the 23rd of December. DisneyWorld in Orlando also has a substantial workamper force. Not great wages at either place but, it keeps you active.

Lots of rv'ers develop websites or write blogs for extra money too..
Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,271 Times in 698 Posts

Just a question, are vintage rvs exempt from these age rules? I've seen a number of old (50s, 60s) rvs and travel trailers that have been restored and are classier than some of the new stuff you can buy.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:25 PM

I know that the last post was never answered. From what i have been told and seen, if it is "restored" like new it isn't a issue. Most 10 year rules were put in place for two reasons. So folks would have to by a newer rv. That was the rv dealers that got that done. The other side is that there is a lot of drug bums out there using old rv's so they can make there drugs and then leave the rv behind afterwords and it then is the owners of the park to get rid of the junk. They made it harder on us than the dealers! If the rig looks neat and well cared for they often will look the other way. I have a 94 5th wheel right now that i bought 3 years ago, and have had no issues with parking in any of the rv parks i have used. I had a 1979 class A that i never had issues with too! I have been full-timing since 1997. Never had any issues with parks anywhere in the country. Happy travels!! Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to OleSmokey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 06:24 AM
Hiker

Having had a 32 bumper pull... with triple slides... I would go smaller, no more than 28 feet or bigger with a fifth wheel. The size was nice but too much for bumper pull. I prefer 5th wheel or gooseneck at those sizes and weights.

NGH