The Official Hi-Point Thread - Page 78 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official 30-06 Thread. klickitat Rifle Forum 91 02-08-2018 02:26 AM
Why no official Sig Thread? The Machinist Firearms General Discussion 27 08-13-2012 07:12 PM
Ex-Israeli Official: Mideast Dominoes Point to War madcritter General Discussion 11 02-15-2011 05:12 AM
It's Official: Social Security Will Reach the Tipping Point in 2010 Flex Financial Forum 45 08-19-2010 12:51 PM

Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 AM

Advertise Here

New to the forum and wanted to add my two cents and maybe some insight to the 'Brick on a Stick' C9 Hi Point pistols for what it's worth....
Years ago I was having a Mark V Weatherby stock replaced under warranty due to a stress crack forming under the bolt handle. While having that done I asked the shop owner to re blue the rifle which had a good 18 years of hard use so that she would be all spiffy in her new furniture. I went in to pick her up on a Sunday, and noticed after the shop owner had run my credit card, that he had charged me $50 for swapping the stock. When I pointed out that it was a warranty issue, he apologized and attempted to reach an individual on the phone with the credit card company to remove the charge. Yes, it was THAT long ago! As he was attempting to do this I noticed one of each of the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 in his case for sale. If memory serves the 9mm had a price of $124 on it. I asked him about them and he stated that they were a new company and it was an introductory low price. I told him to keep the $50 and put it toward the 9mm and I would visit the sheriff and obtain a permit to purchase it, which I did. Yes it was THAT long ago.
The pistol is in fact like holding a brick on a stick, it is cumbersome, and top heavy not to mention grotesquely disfigured regarding its aesthetics, cheap as cheap comes in a handgun. Thing is it functions. I have run I'm guessing better than a thousand rounds through that over the years with never one malfunction, yes I said not one. It has devoured every type of ammo I have ever fed it without one hiccup.
A few years ago I purchased a second one to give to my father as a cheap home protection option at a gun show NIB for $158, still a bargain. I took it to the range to run a few hundred rounds through it before giving it to him to insure it functioned as it should putting my oldest son in charge of that task. That pistol kept stove piping on the kid ever few shots no matter what he did. We looked over the pistol and magazine but found nothing obvious, so I decided to watch closely as he fired it to see if there might be something going on he wasn't aware of. Y'know that fugly mag release button that matches the rest of the pistol and sticks out about twice as far as it should that you can't quite seem to hit comfortably with your thumb without changing your grip on the weapon? My son was accidentally applying the slightest pressure to that under recoil which caused the mag to drop ever so slightly and which was what was causing the problem. Once he changed slightly how he was holding the pistol to avoid that happening the thing ran just like my first one without one hiccup.
I'm betting that most all of the Hi Point haters out there that aren't band wagon jumpers and have actually fired one themselves and experienced similar problems causing them to pass the pistol off as a piece of carp.... were probably doing much the same thing my son was without realizing it the same as he didn't.
It's cheap, it's heavy, and it's just plain old butt ugly, but it works and works consistently when handled properly... how can you go wrong? If you want something to throw in the boat and not worry about, I doubt you'll find a more reliable better value anywhere.
Again... just my two cents and I can spend them how ever I wish to.

P.S. A few years ago I purchased a used skeletonized stocked carbine in 9mm from a buddy, which has proven 100% reliable and surprisingly accurate at reasonable distances and one heck of a hoot to heat up!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turkeestalker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 09:33 AM

Default New to THIS forum?

I would like to introduce my self as Machomelvin. I bought my 1st Hi Point a 995 TS in February 2013. Since then, I have built probably "THE" largest HP collection in the country. I have 63 different HP's I believe I have one of each model HP ever made. Including the original Stallard's, Iberia's & Haskell's. Most people would have no idea how many variations that HP put out. In fact, the factory doesn't have records to verify most of their model releases. I hope to some day figure out how to post pictures on this forum. I have tried to join a few other forums, but was unable to post pics. I will follow this page for a while to see if there is any activity. I have visited serveral of the HP plants & have gained considerable knowledge from MoM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to machomelvin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM
feeling my age

Mr. machomelvin,
Wow, that is a bunch of High Points! I'd enjoy seeing your collection. I don't have a High Point and had no idea there were so many variations.
Welcome to the Forum!

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Vonfatman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfatman View Post
Mr. machomelvin,
Wow, that is a bunch of High Points! I'd enjoy seeing your collection. I don't have a High Point and had no idea there were so many variations.
Welcome to the Forum! Bob
Thanks Bob!
I suffer from OCD? I was on anther forum similar to this one. It required me to sign up to photo bucket or something. It just became too complicated to figure out. I'm sure you can google Machomelvin & find some of my picts. I have them posted all over the internet. I have well documented my growing collection. It didn't just grow from 1-63 over night? My take on HP's is, I have many firearms and Hi Points are not the best guns I own. But they are the BEST value in guns I own. Most all of the parts are interchangeable between the pistol & carbines. The same trigger works in all 63 guns I own, as well as many other parts can be inter-changed within calibers as well! You can NOT buy most of the wear parts, they are yours FREE for the asking. Lifetime Transferable Warranty. I have bought MANY broke, beat up, missing parts guns, just to send into MoM for a COMPLETE FREE repair or replacement.
HP Customer Service is 2nd to none!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to machomelvin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

Thanks guys. I have a C9. I just had to try it to see what all the hubbub was about. It eats any thing I put in it but it does hiccup on occasion. Most likely due to what you were saying. I've also tried kinda limp wristing it and that definitely was wrong, wrong, wrong.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,617 Times in 6,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomelvin View Post
I would like to introduce my self as Machomelvin. I bought my 1st Hi Point a 995 TS in February 2013. Since then, I have built probably "THE" largest HP collection in the country. I have 63 different HP's I believe I have one of each model HP ever made. Including the original Stallard's, Iberia's & Haskell's. Most people would have no idea how many variations that HP put out. In fact, the factory doesn't have records to verify most of their model releases. I hope to some day figure out how to post pictures on this forum. I have tried to join a few other forums, but was unable to post pics. I will follow this page for a while to see if there is any activity. I have visited serveral of the HP plants & have gained considerable knowledge from MoM.
Hey machomelvin . To post pics you have to use a photohosting website like photobucket or imageshack etc. You then upload your pictures to the photo hosting website and then use the IMG link, copy the IMG link and paste in the thread here It's really easy and free.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
Hey machomelvin . To post pics you have to use a photohosting website like photobucket or imageshack etc. You then upload your pictures to the photo hosting website and then use the IMG link, copy the IMG link and paste in the thread here It's really easy and free.
Ugh, another third party website. I think I'm just going to say f it and go dark.
My info is spread over the internet to much already.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,617 Times in 6,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
Ugh, another third party website. I think I'm just going to say f it and go dark.
My info is spread over the internet to much already.
?? If your that paranoid, maybe you should just avoid the internet all together

Most forums use this method to post pics, it becomes very expensive to buy enough forum bandwith to allow uploading of pics to the forum to post them.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,122 Times in 3,478 Posts

Why not just hit the go advanced button and use the manage attachments button to upload? So simple my grandson can do it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zombie_killer (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	106595  
Old 12-05-2015, 02:22 PM

I don't see a go advanced button?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,860 Times in 7,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
Thanks guys. I have a C9. I just had to try it to see what all the hubbub was about. It eats any thing I put in it but it does hiccup on occasion. Most likely due to what you were saying. I've also tried kinda limp wristing it and that definitely was wrong, wrong, wrong.
I've got the C9 also, and it's only missfed a couple of times in about 200 rounds. Before I ever fired it, I polished the feed ramp, deburred the magazine and follower and also modified the magazine spring to hold the rounds at a higher angle. Hi-Point has a new spring for its magazines. The only difference is the wire diameter is a little larger and maybe a larger spring constant. I got a few, but havent tried them yet.

What ammo are you running? I'm running Remington FMJ, but I was thinking about trying Tula.

It is a straight shooting pistol, but I'm not sure I'd have full confidence in it in an emergency.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,122 Times in 3,478 Posts

You don't have this button?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	106714  
Old 12-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
You don't have this button?
He needs to have 5 post to post picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Not prepper...PROVIDER

My 4595 is, without a doubt, the best $300 I've ever spent on a firearm.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:52 AM

I love the 4595 also, but the 4095 is my favorite?
These are my three 4595's. The 2 Classics are custom made, HP did not make the 4595 in a Classic.
This is my latest group picture I have added a few since this picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 x 4595.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	106892   Click image for larger version

Name:	62 HP Collection.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	106893  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to machomelvin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Just found it & "IT" works fine!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomelvin View Post
These are my three 4595's. The 2 Classics are custom made
"Custom made"? In what way?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
"Custom made"? In what way?
Hi Point only made the 4595 in the TS stock. I liked the Classic stock so much, I had a gunsmith make 2 for me,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20150609_20_22_12_SmartShoot.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	106945  
Old 12-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,311 Posts

What exactly did you need a smith to do for you? Just seems weird that you own so many Hi Points (I have two .45's and I think I might have a .45 carbine somewhere but not positive) and you don't do your own swapping. As gun guys go, Melvin, you're a rare bird, bud! I don't know a single other HP owner that hasn't switched grip panels or polished the side flats or painted this or that or added an ATI stock etc. Great looking guns you have there, btw! Always room for another HP owner on these forums!

Welcome to the forum, btw, sir!
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM

I tried to swap the 1st one, didn't work correctly. So I took it to the Smithsonian. It needed a little more trimming out. So when I was ready for the 22nd one, I just took it back to the smith. I am a perfectionist. I don't want my stuff to look amateur, so I just pay to have it look professional. Alot if my guns are BNIB, never fired. I am more of a collector than a shooter?
The Following User Says Thank You to machomelvin For This Useful Post: