Survivalist Forum banner

My firearm list. Covering all bases?

5K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  goat daddy 
#1 ·
Mossberg 500 field/deer/security barrel for a multi purpose tool.
AR-15 as a combat weapon.
.308 Bolt for hunting and long range shooting.
10/22 breakdown
9mm CCW
Ruger GP100 large calibur sidearm with ammo versatility.

I currently own and have practiced with the Mossberg,AR and Ruger. Im a hobbyist, collector, and would like to have a tool for any situation. Also would like to hand these down to my children one day when Im gone so they too can have a tool that fits anything that comes up for them be it recreational shooting to hunting to SHTF. Any bases Im not covering?

#12 ·
TThat is a solid well thought out list.

Common calibers, specific to uses. What's not to like.

I always figured four to six firearm's to cover the bases.

22LR rifle and or pistol
HP centerfire rifle semi auto and or bolt action
Shotgun semi auto or pump
Centerfire pistol and or revolver

Ignore the vs debates, get what suits you, check off the categories and be done with it. Yeah it's actually that simple...LOL

Reactions: McMacy
#18 ·
Marlin 336Y
CZ 75BD
Sp101 9mm
Ruger PC Carbine 9mm

Confidence in your tools serve you better than just having a bunch of tools.

Yes I have many other guns but THESE will be what I use because well I can actually hit stuff in the right place. I shoot my AR good too but i'd never even think to take it with me for defense.

I know I know everyone should have something long range and that's fine & dandy. But i'm not trying to shoot anything far if I can just scoot and if I can't scoot it's probably a done deal anyway. Heck may be a done deal up close never know. Confidence is the best choice.

#22 ·
This is a great base. As was pointed out, stock up on ammo. If you are in an urban area, consider the 9mm and .22 first priority. Say what you want, no body wants to get shot with a .22. It is also the quietest of the list. If it is WROL and you really think Mad Max is coming to town, the AR and Mossy are priority.

Hint, that list is not a "collectors" list or legacy firearms to be passedan down for generations. They are off the shelf basic tools from Gun Depot. Use them well. You could get a nice high end 308 but it does not sound like what you need to start. Just get a decent shooter.

#23 ·
Great basic list and nearly identical to what I started out with. I did start out with a Remington 1100 semi-auto with a 9 round tube but I have since added a 870 home combo, a .40 S&W M&P Shield, a Kel-Tec SU16CA and a few more and more ammo when I can get it at a decent price.

Also, don't forget reloading equipment and supplies for when ammo gets scarce.

#25 ·
That's a list ?

That's a list ? :eek: That's like half of a list of stuff to take out to the range on a short range day..

You might want to go visit your local gun store a few more times..

Actually, what's lacking is the fundamental duplicate of the more critical of the list;
A second AR-15 ; a gun without ammo is as pointless as ammo without a gun or a broken gun.
A second 9mm.
Not only do the second guns serve the purpose of a backup, in a tighter situation, you can pass it off to a family member to assist.

Suppression is a very nice option, if chosen well. .22LR, 9mm. IMO, suppressing 9mm and .308 is less of a concern.
And ammo; if you think you have enough, you probably don't.

#27 ·
I love lists! many of us had those fires which destroyed everything. Before the fire I took a single shot,scoped 22 rifle, a 12 ga single shot and a scoped centerfire rifle to my cabin. couple boxes of lead and non-lead ammo for each in the stash. That will take care of my hunting needs and basic protection. The possibility of a horde attacking the cabin is nil. There is no defense against bad guys as they will just shoot you in the back. For varmint hunting and game hunting I'll bring a firearm from home, once I replace my losses.

#32 ·
.22 lr target pistol for rabbits and squirrels. I have a Hatsan Vortex pellet gun for that, but you will never see a commercial holster for it.

Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Yes, for when you or a loved one don't want to choose between killing someone or getting killed, pepper spray is a practical answer.
many years back I saw a review of pepper spray on TV. Big bruiser, my size, is getting pepper sprayed by intrepid reporter. big bruiser is saying "yes, this stings. it's very uncomfortable" as he removes the pepper spray from the reporter, then wallet and watch.

#34 ·
many years back I saw a review of pepper spray on TV. Big bruiser, my size, is getting pepper sprayed by intrepid reporter. big bruiser is saying "yes, this stings. it's very uncomfortable" as he removes the pepper spray from the reporter, then wallet and watch.
Shot with a mouse gun, a bruiser can grab it and kill the owner with it. Can't do that with pepper spray.

#33 ·
a ruger or heritage single action revolver, not semiauto, to shoot any 22 ammo, e.g. from 22short, 22lr quiets to 22wmr. personally i would look for a used ruger single six over a heritage roughrider, though i have and like both. 22wmr option could be easily skipped in favor of the 22lr ruger wrangler. any practiced 22lr is not to be taken lightly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.