Gas grill - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oldest Gas Blackrock Vehicles & Transportation 29 08-07-2018 12:19 AM
Building a Homemade Cinder Block Grill AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-22-2018 04:00 PM
Hurricane Sandy A.A.R. Center Mass Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-07-2017 03:18 PM
Using the gas in my car tank to power my generator NJPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 02-01-2017 03:23 AM
Converting gas grill to charcoal ncpat DIY - Do It Yourself 11 11-29-2016 11:00 AM

Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Hiker

Default Gas grill

Advertise Here

Looking to get new gas grill. Thoughts on best / lastest life brand and model
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 18,802 Times in 4,901 Posts

Budget is a big issue, what's yours?

Also size. Cooking for a family? A couple? A couple families?

Weber Genesis is the current Prom Queen, but Charbroil is making good stuff now too.

It's been a few years, but I looked at the Weber Genesis - a good grill - but for the cost of a 2 burner Weber I bought a 6 burner Charbroil Performance model.
Use it all the time, I grill twelve months a year and it lives outside under the eaves. (I go through 12-15 40lb propane bottles a year). I prefer more burners as I can cook large quantities, but also have the ability to set up multiple heat zones for direct/indirect, warming, etc...
No rust, not as many bells and whistles as the Weber I guess, but it's built well and has lasted. I did upgrade the flame protector/diffuser plates, but I do that on every grill. I use 3/16th angle iron as it is a better heat sink and will never burn through.

If your budget allows, a Napoleon, or even a Kalamazoo or Viking would be 'most choice.'
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 54,564 Times in 17,782 Posts

Check your local thrift store
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:

Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,638 Times in 1,973 Posts

Weber Q series grills are not cheap but they cook meat faster than most grills and use propane much slower than most. Both those qualities are worthwhile for a prepper/survivalist.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/q-series/

They have good range of accessories including hot plates/griddles that allow you to cook eggs, hashbrowns, etc

When I go camping, I do most of my cooking on a Baby Q (Q1000).
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,577 Times in 2,708 Posts

I have had the same weber gas grill since year 2000. My wife sees all the pretty grills at Lowes, walmart, and places. Says, "don't you think we need a new grill?"

I say, "well, really we don't, the one we got cooks just fine".
There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not shiny and new.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Hiker

Stopped at local hardware store and looked at the weber spirit grills and they look pretty nice. Not as big but look well built and 10 year warranty. Should be fine for us. I do must of my meat on pellet grill but wife wants gas in case she wants a burger or sometime fast and son does not like his brats or burgers smoked but does love the brisket and pork shoulder
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,791 Times in 6,099 Posts

I would NEVER spend more than about $200 on a gas grill. Especially as a 2nd grill to supplement the pellet smoker.

But I am cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Hiker

Had many grills over the years, most only last a few years. Sick of ****ing money away on cheap pieces of crap. Instead of a one year warranty weber has a 10 year
The Following User Says Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,650 Times in 8,610 Posts

It depends on what you want a grill to do. Personally, I like a rear infrared burner for a rotisserie. I had what I thought would be my last grill, a six burner plus infrared side burner and aforementioned rear burner, but it burned up in the Camp Fire.

To my dismay, Nexgrill no longer makes that model so it looks like I will be spending almost twice as much to get a comparable Kitchenaid grill for my new outdoor kitchen.

Don't go cheap, the cheap grills only last a couple of years before the burners fall apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,213 Times in 659 Posts

I use to buy cheap $120-250 grills and had to replace them every 3-4 years. The burners would rot out and i would deal with it for a year before getting a new.

One year i splurged and bought a Weber spirit 310. That was 6yrs ago and it still cooks more even than a cheap one thats brand new. Il never buy another grill thats not a Weber.

I havent used the Q series grills but two of my family members have them and they are happy with them.

Side note. When i bought my grill it had a knick in the top cover. Emailed Weber once and they sent a whole new top cover by the following week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Got a Weber Genesis almost ten years ago and still going strong. No rust or repairs needed. Just a good cleaning every spring. Use it year round in addition to my Walmart smoker. Thinking about getting a cheap kettle charcoal grill just for the nostalgia mostly. Plus, I do love burgers and steaks cooked over charcoal. Can't replace that flavor.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 18,802 Times in 4,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba15832 View Post
Got a Weber Genesis almost ten years ago and still going strong. No rust or repairs needed. Just a good cleaning every spring. Use it year round in addition to my Walmart smoker. Thinking about getting a cheap kettle charcoal grill just for the nostalgia mostly. Plus, I do love burgers and steaks cooked over charcoal. Can't replace that flavor.
Seeing that you're a Weber fan, I really recommend the original Weber 22" charcoal grill. You can get them ~$100 on sale, and personally I'd look hard at the Premium version. The ash canister and other small additions are well worth the few added dollars.
They're like the Glocks of grills, every kind of accessory known to man is made for them. Rotisserie, Santa Maria grill rig, I even have a nice griddle insert for mine. Use it a lot.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Seeing alot of Weber grill love as they are the top grill of choice in many of the big box stores. They are well made but your also going to pay a little more for the name as now they are mass recognized as the premium brand.

I was out at a grill expo last summer at one of the local stores and was drawn to the Broil Kings (specifically the regal $900). The Broil Kings looked to be just as well made as the Weber's if not better. The grill wasn't the highest on the priority list at the time but when my current grill goes to crap Im going to grab a broil king
Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Ich könnte dich ignoriere

Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,133 Posts

I would go for the Weber. The last grill I bought was a store brand at Lowes and the stainless steel was not real stainless steel. The fire box rusted right through in short order and replacement parts could not be had. Luckily I had some warranty left so Lowes manager made me a deal on the Weber.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Hiker

Ended up. Getting thevweber spirit 210 grill for $232. So far very nice medium size grill and full 10 year warranty
The Following User Says Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,016 Times in 495 Posts

I just bought my 1st gas grill { charcoal guy here }
I bought a Nextgril Evolution 2 burner stainless with infrared technology Nice little grill but it is small so the inside gets very hot very fast. Hard to regulate the temps. Even on low 1 burner by itself will quickly heat up to over 700 degrees.
Only way I can regulate it is to cook with the lid open and even then it still gets too hot.
The infrared plates are supposed to prevent flareups but it still flares up and when that happens the food will get burns on it.
I would suggest buying a grill with the largest cooking area, I thing the larger size would be easier to regulate temps. And buy the grill that weighs the most, heavier grill means better materials.